Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Sep 2012, 23:41 (Ref:3132253)   #1751
nistfan
Racer

New Zealand
nistfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
To date how many chassis have you made and how many confirmed orders do you have?

Also how may cars have been completed to date and are a ready to race?
I bet you dont get an answer to that
Old 6 Sep 2012, 23:43 (Ref:3132255)   #1752
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nistfan View Post
I bet you dont get an answer to that
That crossed my mind too. Let's wait and see...
Old 7 Sep 2012, 00:41 (Ref:3132266)   #1753
MRXtreme
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton
MRXtreme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nistfan, just because you want a answer, doesn't mean you deserve one. There aren't many people on this forum that actually show us and NZV8 much support.
You all know how many cars have been ordered....Ford, Holden, Holden, Toyota. And in saying that we had a new order come in this morning, but i'll let that team make that public. Its a tough cilmate out there and we're doing what we can.

Nick
Old 7 Sep 2012, 01:20 (Ref:3132268)   #1754
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRXtreme View Post
nistfan, just because you want a answer, doesn't mean you deserve one. There aren't many people on this forum that actually show us and NZV8 much support.
Nick
a most suitable reply Nick, you are to be applauded for your efforts, shame MSNZ hasn't fully supported their own cause.
good luck with getting more interest, i'm still waiting for a Nissan stalwart ( where Reg Cooks chequebook!!) to create an allience with Kelly boys to get an Altima racing here. just watched a video of the 5.7l racing engine and reminded of what a real V8 sounds like.
Old 7 Sep 2012, 02:10 (Ref:3132272)   #1755
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in my opinion NZV8 needs to get serious about this transitional summer ahead........competitors need to be encouraged to go south...there are plenty of cars not running at the moment that could be....a sponsor needs to be found/or funds found to pay the competitors a fee(maybe $5 or $6k each) to go south.......format of races should be shortened for this season only to maybe 3x 40km races ..........no entry fees and other subsidies as well if possible..........they also need to properly duel bill the program with TRS...........Put up a decent series incentive to the winner???...a test somewhere!!....part refund of tyre bill......whatever.
i am involved with ST but still believe and have always said there is room for both..
Old 7 Sep 2012, 03:46 (Ref:3132282)   #1756
Vanishing Point
Racer

Vanishing Point should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just noticed this on the TV3 News Website....

NZV8's/SuperTourers - It's getting Uglier

Opinion by Shaun Summerfield

With court proceedings marching on – and that’s despite signs of a thaw - the battle between NZV8s and the SuperTourers continues.

I'll admit that I've almost forgotten what this fight is about.*But, essentially, the bust up came about because the bulk of the NZV8 racers and teams weren't happy with the direction their class was going.

There was a combination of factors and, let's be honest, large egos on both sides of the argument. A new NZV8 was already in the planning, which seems to be the heart of this court case. The question being: is the SuperTourer what the NZV8 was planned to be?

But judging by comments from the NZV8s, their key ingredient is the ‘DNA’ of the racecars. Let’s not get all ‘CSI’ though, they are referring to the engine being sourced from the same car makers who produce the badge.

This is, of course, a departure from the rules, which allowed Paul Manuell to run a Ford engine in his Holden over recent seasons.

Still it’s a noble - if slightly cosmetic - gesture. I’ve never seen a V8-powered Toyota Camry.

Less noble are the actions of Motorsport New Zealand – who instead of taking the high ground here, have picked sides. But let’s be honest, as the major shareholder of the V8s' promotions company they didn’t have much choice.

This was a perfect chance for the national body to prove their worth to the thousands of participants…and hundreds of thousands of fans - who in my mind anyway - are the heart of motorsport.

Comments made by Motorsport NZ president Shayne Harris on Radio Sport, complaining that the V8 SuperTourers have had*all the News coverage on TV3 and the NZV8s*none, were doubly shameful. Shameful because of Mr Harris’ position as the leader of our sport, and shameful because they didn’t tell the whole story.

For the record, I told the NZV8 bosses in March that as soon as I had a list of names and teams from them – and preferably a couple of finished cars - I would report it. It’s September and I’m still waiting.

A calendar has been announced for the new NZV8 season. Unfortunately, I wasn’t sent that release. I’ve been removed from Motorsport NZ’s approved press list…

The messenger has been shot. Still, I’m proud to wear the scar of that metaphorical bullet wound.

I did notice however, that both V8Utes and Suzuki Swifts are included in the list of support classes on the official NZV8 website. Although if you click on those classes you’ll find yourself on a page announcing them racing with SuperTourers.

Good luck in court!

3 News

Footnote:

All News reporting is approached from a neutral point of view. I ask the same questions of SuperTourers, as I do of NZV8's… V8 Supercars... Formula One. We made no effort to cover up engine failures in the SuperTourers, nor did we shy away from the fallout following SuperTourer Boss Mark Petch's comments about the cost of V8 Supercars coming to Pukekohe. I am happy for any of my stories to be put under scrutiny, and I will vigorously defend any accusations of bias.

Nice one Shaun....
Old 7 Sep 2012, 03:51 (Ref:3132285)   #1757
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
in my opinion NZV8 needs to get serious about this transitional summer ahead........competitors need to be encouraged to go south...there are plenty of cars not running at the moment that could be....a sponsor needs to be found/or funds found to pay the competitors a fee(maybe $5 or $6k each) to go south.......format of races should be shortened for this season only to maybe 3x 40km races ..........no entry fees and other subsidies as well if possible..........they also need to properly duel bill the program with TRS...........Put up a decent series incentive to the winner???...a test somewhere!!....part refund of tyre bill......whatever.
i am involved with ST but still believe and have always said there is room for both..
i believe NZ rally Championship had a SI series winner some years ago to get competitors down south, but i think it was back in the days of Ascot Rally Southland ??? unsure what sort of carrot needs to be dangled, but something needs to be done.

as you say, there are plenty of former NZV8 cars floating around, and would hazard a guess that there would be almost a field of cars parked up in SI garages ??

i see BNT appear to be back on board with NZV8s, is that confirmed, or an assumption due to their involvement last year ?? i recall a naysayer from the ST camp claiming BNT had pulled the pin.
Old 7 Sep 2012, 03:56 (Ref:3132286)   #1758
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TV3 via Vanishing Point View Post
Comments made by Motorsport NZ president Shayne Harris on Radio Sport, complaining that the V8 SuperTourers have had*all the News coverage on TV3 and the NZV8s*none, were doubly shameful. Shameful because of Mr Harris’ position as the leader of our sport, and shameful because they didn’t tell the whole story.

For the record, I told the NZV8 bosses in March that as soon as I had a list of names and teams from them – and preferably a couple of finished cars - I would report it. It’s September and I’m still waiting.

A calendar has been announced for the new NZV8 season. Unfortunately, I wasn’t sent that release. I’ve been removed from Motorsport NZ’s approved press list…
geez, i thought MSNZ ran motorsport from NZ, not China?
Old 7 Sep 2012, 03:58 (Ref:3132289)   #1759
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Still it’s a noble - if slightly cosmetic - gesture. I’ve never seen a V8-powered Toyota Camry.
i can't say i have even seen, in a showroom , a new Falcon with a LS Chev motor in it either.

i know Shaun is a wee bit frustrated by lack of feedback from MSNZ, but some of the comments he has made have been some what 'one-eyed' regarding the situation the sport is in . but then some of MSNZ representatives have been somewhat complacent and assumptious with their media efforts.
Old 7 Sep 2012, 04:16 (Ref:3132291)   #1760
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess Shaun is pointing out that it seems a little odd that you can claim to be all about keeping DNA intact, while allowing some hardcore genetic engineering.... Kinda like saying you're a Vegatarian who eats Chicken.
Old 7 Sep 2012, 04:32 (Ref:3132296)   #1761
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh and well said Shaun...
Old 7 Sep 2012, 05:01 (Ref:3132302)   #1762
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes, very nicely put, Shaun. I recall another media outlet many years ago being given the cold shoulder by MNZ because of comments made in private about how things might be improved - they are the most petty bunch of people and considering the position they are in it is a disgrace.

How can you remove the main motorsport reporter from the country's main motorsport free to air channel from your media list? They don't deserve to be running the show, at all.

BTW, V8ST have never claimed to have any particular DNA in their cars (although I do like the idea of manufacturers' engines but understand why it was not done in this case)...
Old 7 Sep 2012, 05:10 (Ref:3132304)   #1763
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be fair to all people and parties, one one side of the fence or the other, and/or even those sitting on top of it, time is a great healer and often when people are up to their armpits in Alligators they have a tendancy to forget that they are only in the swamp to dig a drainage ditch.

Whilst everyone wants to quickly sort out and resolve the issues, normal business of the day still has to be attended to by everyone and one cannot do everything at once.

And on that note I think it is time to slip off and partake of a nice cool ale or two
Old 7 Sep 2012, 05:15 (Ref:3132306)   #1764
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
To be fair to all people and parties, one one side of the fence or the other, and/or even those sitting on top of it, time is a great healer and often when people are up to their armpits in Alligators they have a tendancy to forget that they are only in the swamp to dig a drainage ditch.

Whilst everyone wants to quickly sort out and resolve the issues, normal business of the day still has to be attended to by everyone and one cannot do everything at once.

And on that note I think it is time to slip off and partake of a nice cool ale or two
Very nicely put SM, might just do that!
Old 7 Sep 2012, 05:34 (Ref:3132314)   #1765
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't think Shaun is suggesting the "dna" is part of the legal spat is he? Although it can read that way.
Old 7 Sep 2012, 06:32 (Ref:3132330)   #1766
Sommersby
Racer

Sommersby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
i can't say i have even seen, in a showroom , a new Falcon with a LS Chev motor in it either.

i know Shaun is a wee bit frustrated by lack of feedback from MSNZ, but some of the comments he has made have been some what 'one-eyed' regarding the situation the sport is in . but then some of MSNZ representatives have been somewhat complacent and assumptious with their media efforts.
Hi SJ,

When I am fronting a race meet, NZV8 or ST - then that is what I'm about. In studio and on the News it's got to be balanced reporting.

Simply put, ST have had the lion's share of News coverage this year...but trust me, I turn down most of their approaches for News coverage. Every story is judged on it's own merits. An example being Christian Klien and Jeroen Beekemolen racing at Taupo. We did however choose not to cover the Friday night 'launch' in Taupo's CBD.

Often it's the drivers that make the story, and let's be frank 80% of our top drivers are in ST.

A while back someone sent an email to our Sunday Show, asking how will a Ford fan support ST's GM-powered series. I pointed out that F1 spreads 4 engines over it's grid - and that the current NZV8's were pitting the same block used by V8 Supercars (Ford 302R) against a GM block often purchased from a Junk Yard (and yes I know that cast iron can often get better over time). I was just trying to point out that parity and different engines are a tough combo to match in 2012.

The result was a call from a TMC staffer to TV3 bosses, asking for me to be sacked.

Despite this sort of behaviour I have endeavoured to cover both sides - with balance and honesty.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Sommersby; 7 Sep 2012 at 06:39. Reason: spelling
Old 7 Sep 2012, 06:35 (Ref:3132332)   #1767
Sommersby
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
I don't think Shaun is suggesting the "dna" is part of the legal spat is he? Although it can read that way.
Not at all Rev,

Just pointing out that it is one of NZV8's points of difference...although (as with many Road & Track links. It's a slightly flawed relationship.

Last edited by Sommersby; 7 Sep 2012 at 06:37. Reason: spelling
Old 7 Sep 2012, 08:00 (Ref:3132365)   #1768
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
a most suitable reply Nick, you are to be applauded for your efforts, shame MSNZ hasn't fully supported their own cause.
good luck with getting more interest, i'm still waiting for a Nissan stalwart ( where Reg Cooks chequebook!!) to create an allience with Kelly boys to get an Altima racing here. just watched a video of the 5.7l racing engine and reminded of what a real V8 sounds like.
a Toyota NZV8 vs Nissan NZV8 now you're talking!
Old 7 Sep 2012, 08:10 (Ref:3132370)   #1769
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommersby View Post
Not at all Rev,

Just pointing out that it is one of NZV8's points of difference...although (as with many Road & Track links. It's a slightly flawed relationship.
I thought so. Just thought from some others posts that others had thought you were.
Old 7 Sep 2012, 08:52 (Ref:3132393)   #1770
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
a Toyota NZV8 vs Nissan NZV8 now you're talking!
jolly well hope to see it, soon.
whist i have owned a holden or two, a couple of Mish!tbus's i have always been partial to Toyotas and to a lesser degree, Nissan. 1st car was a 180B
Old 7 Sep 2012, 10:55 (Ref:3132440)   #1771
Lookin
Rookie

Lookin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
Time to tune cars to the track for one.
Time to turn cars around between races. Three hours to turn an old NZV8 car around between races is not a long time, that's without any damage or problems.
Safety of the track and cars hence the time turning around the cars.
And the size and strength of your support classes makes a difference of course.

Speedway tracks are not 2.6 3.2 or 5km long and the cars don't reach speeds of 270-300 plus kph. So very quick to check the track is safe and clear of debris. I have been to race meeting where there has only been five to ten minutes between races?
You guys need to look at the IRC formula, 200/250 cars, 30 races plus qualifing in 2 days, Taupo/manfeild do this with ease and the meetings are all the enterants want without all the *****n!
Old 7 Sep 2012, 10:58 (Ref:3132441)   #1772
Lookin
Rookie

Lookin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
Just noticed this on the TV3 News Website....

NZV8's/SuperTourers - It's getting Uglier

Opinion by Shaun Summerfield

With court proceedings marching on – and that’s despite signs of a thaw - the battle between NZV8s and the SuperTourers continues.

I'll admit that I've almost forgotten what this fight is about.*But, essentially, the bust up came about because the bulk of the NZV8 racers and teams weren't happy with the direction their class was going.

There was a combination of factors and, let's be honest, large egos on both sides of the argument. A new NZV8 was already in the planning, which seems to be the heart of this court case. The question being: is the SuperTourer what the NZV8 was planned to be?

But judging by comments from the NZV8s, their key ingredient is the ‘DNA’ of the racecars. Let’s not get all ‘CSI’ though, they are referring to the engine being sourced from the same car makers who produce the badge.

This is, of course, a departure from the rules, which allowed Paul Manuell to run a Ford engine in his Holden over recent seasons.

Less noble are the actions of Motorsport New Zealand – who instead of taking the high ground here, have picked sides. But let’s be honest, as the major shareholder of the V8s' promotions company they didn’t have much choice.

This was a perfect chance for the national body to prove their worth to the thousands of participants…and hundreds of thousands of fans - who in my mind anyway - are the heart of motorsport.

The messenger has been shot. Still, I’m proud to wear the scar of that metaphorical bullet wound.

I did notice however, that both V8Utes and Suzuki Swifts are included in the list of support classes on the official NZV8 website. Although if you click on those classes you’ll find yourself on a page announcing them racing with SuperTourers.

Good luck in court!

3 News

Footnote:

All News reporting is approached from a neutral point of view. I ask the same questions of SuperTourers, as I do of NZV8's… V8 Supercars... Formula One. We made no effort to cover up engine failures in the SuperTourers, nor did we shy away from the fallout following SuperTourer Boss Mark Petch's comments about the cost of V8 Supercars coming to Pukekohe. I am happy for any of my stories to be put under scrutiny, and I will vigorously defend any accusations of bias.

Nice one Shaun....
Shaun
You are dreaming if you think anyone believes you are neutral.
Old 7 Sep 2012, 11:11 (Ref:3132449)   #1773
Member CCC
Rookie

Member CCC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin View Post
Shaun
You are dreaming if you think anyone believes you are neutral.
No point in even replying to his so called story and this guy calls himself a reporter! Shaun is to busy looking in the mirror than looking for and reporting the real facts!
Old 7 Sep 2012, 11:24 (Ref:3132453)   #1774
Vanishing Point
Racer

Vanishing Point should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member CCC View Post
No point in even replying to his so called story and this guy calls himself a reporter! Shaun is to busy looking in the mirror than looking for and reporting the real facts!
Hey CCCP, if you are going slag somebody on the forum at least have the decency to offer proof and facts to back up your opinion... And if you have nothing constructive to add don't bother.. Your post shows how narrow minded and mean spirited you are.
Old 7 Sep 2012, 11:39 (Ref:3132456)   #1775
Sommersby
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
Hey CCCP, if you are going slag somebody on the forum at least have the decency to offer proof and facts to back up your opinion... And if you have nothing constructive to add don't bother.. Your post shows how narrow minded and mean spirited you are.
Cheers VP,

I welcome the criticism, but also agree; CCC and Looking should show examples of biased reporting. Otherwise their comments are just cowardly slander.

So guys/girls step up - or apologise.