Old 27 Oct 2008, 19:53 (Ref:2322046)   #1
Olive
Rookie

United Kingdom
Olive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team GB 2008/09

So, Team GB will be racing in Chengdu.

Daniel Watts will be at the wheel.

I'm interested to see what he can do - his career has been off the rails a bit in recent years - but he has done quite a bit of the testing of the new A1GP car, so at least he'll have had some miles in it even if the team has not.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 22:07 (Ref:2322152)   #2
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James Winslow as rookie/reserve too.

These selections aren't relaly exciting or edgy - more of going with what you know - but at least we have capable drivers and we will race. That's more than it looked like a few days back.

Don't know if these 2 can win a title but they'll certainly do a great job.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 23:05 (Ref:2322180)   #3
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
That's the first time I've ever heard Danny described as Daniel... See here for his career.

I think it's great news. You just know that Danny will bring the right spirit to the team, that they will reciprocate and that then he'll drive his socks off for them.

Oliver Turvey would have been a better choice as Rookie driver, but I think John Surtees vetoed that idea last season in his new role on behalf of the Racing Steps Foundation.
Old 28 Oct 2008, 09:14 (Ref:2322377)   #4
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When is Ben Clucas going to get a shot. He has beaten James Winslow every time the have gone head to head.. Even this year when he turned up at Clipsal Australian F3 round, no testing and car had not been run, he went straight out and won..He has won in every formula he's driven in. Probably one of the most successful drivers about, and has never had the funds behind him.. Ask anyone who has ever run him, they all rate him. They should at least give him a run. British Formula Ford champion. Twice front row start for final of festival. Toyota F1 driver development programme. Australian F3 champion (Won every round he competed in) Winner of the New Zealand Motor Cup, winner of the Denny Hulme Memorial Trophy. Anyone know why he's not had a go?
Old 28 Oct 2008, 14:45 (Ref:2322607)   #5
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Very good point, Mak. I have a lot of time for Ben, yet he seems to have one of those names that people forget. Even I hadn't thought of him in the context of A1GP, yet he's an obvious choice. Miles better than James Winslow.
Old 28 Oct 2008, 18:57 (Ref:2322745)   #6
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
That's the first time I've ever heard Danny described as Daniel... See here for his career.

I think it's great news. You just know that Danny will bring the right spirit to the team, that they will reciprocate and that then he'll drive his socks off for them.
I agree!

In my opinion Watts has always been underated, even back in his Karting days.
Old 28 Oct 2008, 22:11 (Ref:2322976)   #7
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
IMO he was never underrated and always was and is one of the top British racing drivers, I know you'll lough at me, but IMO he's in the same league of driver's skill as Jenson or David. And I really mean it! He is a real deal and IMO one of the best drivers in the world. Great to c him taking a shot and I hope he'll do g8 things with that Ferrari.
Old 30 Oct 2008, 22:26 (Ref:2324464)   #8
F3 Rocks
Racer

Wales
F3 Rocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K
IMO he was never underrated and always was and is one of the top British racing drivers, I know you'll lough at me, but IMO he's in the same league of driver's skill as Jenson or David. And I really mean it! He is a real deal and IMO one of the best drivers in the world. Great to c him taking a shot and I hope he'll do g8 things with that Ferrari.
100% agree, no one better for Team GB, and he's soon to be a dad, good luck Danny
Old 4 Nov 2008, 00:41 (Ref:2327514)   #9
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
I'm glad we seem to be agreed that Danny Watts is the man for the job, but I don't think we should expect too much from him in Chengdu.

As far as I know, the car still hasn't turned a wheel yet. He will get extra practice over there, but Team GBR is still starting a fair way behind the others.

There has been no announcement about the make up of the team either. Is it the same as last year or are there new faces? They may have to learn how to work together as they are learning all about the new car. Hey ho...
Old 4 Nov 2008, 10:41 (Ref:2327749)   #10
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree, Danny Watts is the ideal pilot for this type of scenario.He'll drag some sort of result out of the car even if it turns up in China with no bodywork! As long as it's got four wheels and an engine he'll try and race it!

Must say, A1GP seems a little off the rails right now so I hope this is only a temporary blip.I've heard that Chengdu is like Kimbolton kart track and even makes Knockhill look like an expensive, lavish venue! Not sure it's the right sort of place to be running an A1GP event.
Old 9 Nov 2008, 21:17 (Ref:2331193)   #11
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
I'm glad we seem to be agreed that Danny Watts is the man for the job, but I don't think we should expect too much from him in Chengdu.
I didn't quite get that right, did I?

Great performance from Danny and the whole team. Let's hope Katie Clements shows her gratitude by confirming Danny as the regular driver for the rest of the season.
Old 9 Nov 2008, 21:22 (Ref:2331198)   #12
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dutch commentator Allard Kalff noted that Danny may have to work on his fitness though. He was getting quite tired after 40 laps or so.

Other than that, he did a good job all things considered.
Old 9 Nov 2008, 21:24 (Ref:2331200)   #13
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed a great job by Danny this weekend, lets not assume however that he is the best driver for the job. Is Robbie Kerr still not on the teams books? If he isnt however then yes I would concurr that Watts is indeed the man for the job when compared to Winslow.
Old 9 Nov 2008, 23:47 (Ref:2331289)   #14
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardRenes
Dutch commentator Allard Kalff noted that Danny may have to work on his fitness though. He was getting quite tired after 40 laps or so.
I was expecting that, to be honest. He did look a bit flushed in the face at the end of the main race.

The thing is, he was only called up at short notice and for the last couple of years has been racing Porsches, where the G-forces are nothing like as great. If extra fitness training is required, that's what Danny will do.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 07:15 (Ref:2331368)   #15
Mak
Veteran

Fantastic job done by Danny of course(class act)... I would still like to see Ben Clucas given a run as rookie. Has good experience at Taupo and Eastern Creek having won races at both in competetive championships. Beaten most of the top drivers in his career.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 08:36 (Ref:2332314)   #16
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak
Fantastic job done by Danny of course(class act)... I would still like to see Ben Clucas given a run as rookie. Has good experience at Taupo and Eastern Creek having won races at both in competetive championships. Beaten most of the top drivers in his career.
Except Eastern Creek is off the calender this season.
Old 10 Nov 2008, 11:35 (Ref:2332395)   #17
Mak
Veteran

Brain fade.. Heavy weekend....
Old 10 Nov 2008, 23:59 (Ref:2332812)   #18
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Am just happy Danny did get chance to drive for Team GB. Am glad he took it, because I know that he didn't drive many single-seaters recently, apart of that pre-season Ferrari test. Was never in doubt he will fullfil expectations and he did. Gr8 driver in really good team, fingers crossed for Team GB, let's hope he'll stay there for rest of the season. And Macau is next stop for him.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 09:55 (Ref:2332993)   #19
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm hard pushed to think of any other driver who could jump straight into an F3 car, after 2 years away, stick it on pole and win the race (BF3 Thruxton).Or jump into a Porsche Carrera Cup car and win 10 races pretty much on the trott (PCCGB). Or jump into a Formula Ford for the first time, start the race right at the back, and then come through to win it (Walter Hayes heat).Or jump into an Aston Martin GT4 at Singapore and lead the race on a street circuit.Or jump into the Ginetta-Zytec this year and lead Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta in the ALMS race.
Then, with hardly any notice, turn-up in China and put an A1GP car on pole!He's now off to Macau to race a Porsche Carrera GT3, on the ultimate street circuit in the World, where he's already won 3 times before!
It's seems pretty clear to me, that if you want a driver who can deliver anywhere, anytime then Dan's your man! A1 Team GB really should keep him on board for the whole season me think's.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 10:01 (Ref:2332996)   #20
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman
I'm hard pushed to think of any other driver who could jump straight into an F3 car, after 2 years away, stick it on pole and win the race (BF3 Thruxton).Or jump into a Porsche Carrera Cup car and win 10 races pretty much on the trott (PCCGB). Or jump into a Formula Ford for the first time, start the race right at the back, and then come through to win it (Walter Hayes heat).Or jump into an Aston Martin GT4 at Singapore and lead the race on a street circuit.Or jump into the Ginetta-Zytec this year and lead Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta in the ALMS race.
Then, with hardly any notice, turn-up in China and put an A1GP car on pole!He's now off to Macau to race a Porsche Carrera GT3, on the ultimate street circuit in the World, where he's already won 3 times before!
It's seems pretty clear to me, that if you want a driver who can deliver anywhere, anytime then Dan's your man! A1 Team GB really should keep him on board for the whole season me think's.
Are you his agent? Agree with you though, it's been a bit odd to keep Robbie in there for so long. I've always thought "if he can do that well with the car, how good could Team GBR do with someone else...?"
Old 11 Nov 2008, 13:58 (Ref:2333116)   #21
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Danny has tremendous respect within British motorsport. It's not just his ability, which had been very well explained by littleman, but also his personality and attitude.

I'd like to think the Robbie chapter is over and that the team has turned over a new leaf and started afresh with Danny.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 18:47 (Ref:2333267)   #22
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman
Jeroen Bleekemolen comes to mind, but he isn't British
Old 11 Nov 2008, 20:35 (Ref:2333333)   #23
littleman
Veteran

Agreed! Jeroen Bleekemloen is an all round top class driver. Races anything, anywhere and is always at the front. Almost as good as us Brits!
Old 12 Nov 2008, 02:24 (Ref:2333514)   #24
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Danny has tremendous respect within British motorsport. It's not just his ability, which had been very well explained by littleman, but also his personality and attitude.

I'd like to think the Robbie chapter is over and that the team has turned over a new leaf and started afresh with Danny.
Robbie wasn't that bad, GBR did finish 2nd each season he drove, not 10th or 35th like Australia...

Agree though Danny Watts seems to be all class. With him onboard GBR should do really welll....perhaps 2nd again but behind IRE this time.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 08:27 (Ref:2333581)   #25
Mak
Veteran

Bit early to call GBR 2nd IRL winning. Both are very good (read exellent)drivers. Its a long championship and whilst Adam maybe slightly faster on his day, I think Danny is a more complete driver when talking about running a whole championship... Less mistakes and more consistent.. Then again in A1 there are plenty of other drivers capable of emerging as contenters. Consistency will win it!!