Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 10 Mar 2006, 17:40 (Ref:1543044)   #1
Clyde P. Puffer
Rookie

Wales
Mold, Wales
Clyde P. Puffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Briscoe in for OZ

Ryan Briscoe has been at Laguna Seca. With the no show of Christian Jones he could be in for Team OZ?
Old 10 Mar 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1543188)   #2
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently Ryan Briscoe will be part of the A1GP setup, but only as second driver to Karl Reindler
http://www.crash.net/news_View~t~Pak...~id~126428.htm
Old 10 Mar 2006, 23:11 (Ref:1543255)   #3
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He may be the number two driver, but according to this A1GP release:

Quote:
"It is not yet known which of the duo will be nominated to go on to qualify then race the A1 Team Australia car in Sunday's sprint and feature races."
Hopefully Alan Jones has finally seen sense bringing an experienced and fast guy like Briscoe in.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 00:28 (Ref:1543296)   #4
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Karl Reindler is an Australian F3 champion and is an awesome talent, but after Team Aus last performance you'd have to go with Briscoe, wouldnt you.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 00:57 (Ref:1543303)   #5
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
brothers... can i get a HALLELUJAH?!!!
Old 11 Mar 2006, 03:23 (Ref:1543344)   #6
BOOSTER
Rookie

BOOSTER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right On It

WELL briscoe is in the car you all got what you want and got your saviour who would find all this magic speed that was in the car that davison and marshall could not get out of it, and BRISCOE is 17TH 2.0 SECS OF THE FASTEST LAP.
so what do you all say now. you need james courntney in the car that will fix the problem. 80% of you guys on this forum don t know what your talking about. quit knocking all your country men and support them because there is more to racing than just blaming the drivers, there are a lot of other factors.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 04:02 (Ref:1543352)   #7
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No one was putting the performance all down to the drivers however they are not faultless. The decision to keep on switching drivers, moving them around has definately hurt the team.

This is Briscoes first run in the car, the first time around Laguna. So I will look to qualifying to show a better representation of the car and his speed.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 05:48 (Ref:1543364)   #8
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolnir

HALLELUJAH?!!!

And to all those who shouted me down when I said that neither JC or Briscoe had been asked in the past.............
Old 11 Mar 2006, 06:50 (Ref:1543375)   #9
Ryan_Briscoe1
Racer

Australia
straya
Ryan_Briscoe1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTER
WELL briscoe is in the car you all got what you want and got your saviour who would find all this magic speed that was in the car that davison and marshall could not get out of it, and BRISCOE is 17TH 2.0 SECS OF THE FASTEST LAP.
so what do you all say now. you need james courntney in the car that will fix the problem. 80% of you guys on this forum don t know what your talking about. quit knocking all your country men and support them because there is more to racing than just blaming the drivers, there are a lot of other factors.
settle, briscoe hasnt raced at that track b4 and he only knew he was driving the other day, give him some time and he will be the best australian driver. and sont bring up courtneys name in the same sentence as briscoes. 17th fastest in first prac is a good result considering its his first drive in it and compared to the results of the others from recent time. Alan jones needs to improve the car dramatically tho.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 07:54 (Ref:1543392)   #10
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
YOU are joking right ........... RB in the car is only 50% of the problem fixed now we need him in car 100% of the time ..... Then we need ADR/AJ to manage team correctly and link up to a couple of other teams to get some shared data like the top team
Australia A1GP has alot of problems the driver selection is only a small part of the problem that again due to the major problem MISMANAGEMENT.......

To have RB in the car 100% of the time would be a massive gain to this struggling team which is putting a black mark on our Nations great sporting abilities
Old 11 Mar 2006, 08:30 (Ref:1543441)   #11
MickAU
Racer

MickAU has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Briscoe's time proves what a lot of people have been saying all along - the Aussie car is not up to scratch setup wise. The fact that he is around the same amount 'off the pace' as the other drivers who have driven the car proves that the team is well below par when it comes to finding a setup.

And how about the team letting everyone know that there has been a driving change...the media effort from the Oz team has been very poor in the last couple of races.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1543627)   #12
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAU
I think Briscoe's time proves what a lot of people have been saying all along - the Aussie car is not up to scratch setup wise. The fact that he is around the same amount 'off the pace' as the other drivers who have driven the car proves that the team is well below par when it comes to finding a setup.
There may be some truth in that, but I seem to remember Will Power doing okay in the car a long time ago at Brands Hatch.

What Team Australia has not had, ever, is a definite and consistent approach. Compare Team Netherlands and Jos Verstappen. They started slowly, but now they are real front runners and in with a big shout for 3rd in the Series. One driver in the car with all the support he needs and a country of great fans behind him all the way.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 12:37 (Ref:1543647)   #13
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Right. Thats practice and not qualifiying. Jones would probably be last as he is hopeless, and I personally wouldn't want to support him as its an Alan Jones vanity drive. Briscoe's got to gain experience and is far quicker and a good bet.

Putting James Courtney in would probably have the same result.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 12:52 (Ref:1543661)   #14
MickAU
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy mole
There may be some truth in that, but I seem to remember Will Power doing okay in the car a long time ago at Brands Hatch.

What Team Australia has not had, ever, is a definite and consistent approach. Compare Team Netherlands and Jos Verstappen. They started slowly, but now they are real front runners and in with a big shout for 3rd in the Series. One driver in the car with all the support he needs and a country of great fans behind him all the way.
Go back through the times, even to the initial Silverstone and Paul Ricard tests, the Australian car has never been on the pace. It initially was 1 second off the pace, but that has stabilised at around 2 seconds.

If you remember to that first race, there were a number of teams that had problems in their pitstop and team GBR (who were in front of AU at the time) pulld out with a mechanical problem.

The similar situation happened with Marshall - he got third only because cars fell off in front of him. Will Davison may not have achieved those results, however, you cant say he didnt have a dig
Old 11 Mar 2006, 14:01 (Ref:1543704)   #15
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I'd go along with most of that. In effect the other teams have improved but Team AUS has stayed where it was and that, imo, is at least partly the result of not sticking with a consistent driver approach.

We know why Will Power had to leave, but I would have left Will Davison in the car from then on. Christian Jones should never have sat in it after the pre-season tests and Malcolm Marshall was just a temporary sidetrack.

Using Ryan Briscoe would have been a good idea if it had been done much earlier, but I don't think he was available then. The same goes for James Courtney.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 16:50 (Ref:1543778)   #16
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Malcolm Marshall was just a temporary sidetrack.
Cool mon, dis driving cars business is much more fun dan bowling bouncers mon.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 21:10 (Ref:1543944)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Guess I asked for that one... to make it worse, I know Marcus a little, too. Think I'd better shut up now. Apologies to all.

PS At least Briscoe has found some speed in the second practice session!
Old 12 Mar 2006, 00:10 (Ref:1544033)   #18
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
LOL

Sadly malcolm marshall is no longer with us after passing away several years ago due to cancer.

RIP Malcolm

But I still found that post amusing
Old 12 Mar 2006, 00:17 (Ref:1544036)   #19
MickAU
Racer

Its amazing what happens when you give one driver and the engineer all weekend together to sort the car...you begin to get results!

0.6 is the closest Australia has ever been to the pace.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 04:44 (Ref:1544100)   #20
BOOSTER
Rookie

BOOSTER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
take note

great job by ryan, i think team australia should take notice that by putting one driver only in the car gets results. lets hope they don t go back to there old ways in china
Old 12 Mar 2006, 05:42 (Ref:1544113)   #21
Ryan_Briscoe1
Racer

Australia
straya
Ryan_Briscoe1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
amzing result by briscoe, showcasing his skills once again.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 06:07 (Ref:1544122)   #22
aussie_f3
Racer

Australia
Somewhere between here and there....
aussie_f3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
......and he hasnt put it into a wall yet!!....woohooo!!
Old 12 Mar 2006, 06:29 (Ref:1544132)   #23
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney

Quote:
Quote:
great job by ryan, i think team australia should take notice that by putting one driver only in the car gets results. lets hope they don t go back to there old ways in china
my, that was a quick turn-around, if I do say so myself :P
Old 12 Mar 2006, 06:35 (Ref:1544141)   #24
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolnir
Team Australia,
who art in fifth place,
Ryan Briscoe be thy name.
Thy Kingdom come,
Or I will be done,
on Earth as it is in Laguna Seca.
Give us this day our double points.
And forgive us for aggressive driving,
as we forgive them that drives aggressively against us.
And lead us not into concrete walls.
But deliver us from sand traps

AMEN!!!
Old 12 Mar 2006, 08:08 (Ref:1544191)   #25
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Using Ryan Briscoe would have been a good idea if it had been done much earlier, but I don't think he was available then. The same goes for James Courtney.
I don't think either driver was contacted before now.