Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Apr 2007, 21:24 (Ref:1898007)   #51
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It probably looked more spectacular due to the carbon fibre flying everywhere. Nonetheless Kristensen is lucky both cars hit the front and back side of the car, and not the middle.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 00:05 (Ref:1898086)   #52
Fechna
Racer

Germany
Germany
Fechna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that Ekström won because of the good strategy, but the Audi´s also were incredible fast this weekend on this Mercedes-homeground. If they can hold this performance over the year, they will have good chances to win the championship. Especially on the twistier circuits like Oschersleben...

Man of the day is of course Paul di Resta, but I disagree if you say without the bad startegy he would have won. He wasn´t even close to the frontrunners at the end. With good strategy I would have expected him on 2-4. But never forget: The lighter 05 cars are very, very fast on straights, something that could be seen even last year (but the drivers sucked completely) and is very important at Hockenheim. I predict the two-year-cars on low grid positions at Oschersleben.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 07:46 (Ref:1898268)   #53
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
MikeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Way to go Di Resta... a new Scottish star in the making, hopefully!
#68 - 2009 SMRC Scottish Legends Championship.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 07:50 (Ref:1898272)   #54
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep the commentators mentioned Dario Franchitti when talking about Paul di Resta but failed to point out they are cousins!

Also Di Resta's older than 19 isn't he, which Motors claimed he turned last Sunday ?!
Old 23 Apr 2007, 08:05 (Ref:1898286)   #55
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
MikeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's 21 - not sure where they got 19 from!

Yup, cousin of Dario and Marino, son of Louis Di Resta who raced in FFord 1600 at Knockhill a couple of weeks back.
#68 - 2009 SMRC Scottish Legends Championship.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 10:00 (Ref:1898359)   #56
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fechna
The lighter 05 cars are very, very fast on straights, something that could be seen even last year (but the drivers sucked completely)
Oh really? So why do I remember both Margaritis and Alesi beating 06 cars on pace on tracks that suited their cars? Or has di Resta done anything more that I haven't noticed?
Old 23 Apr 2007, 10:19 (Ref:1898379)   #57
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole
Oh really? So why do I remember both Margaritis and Alesi beating 06 cars on pace on tracks that suited their cars? Or has di Resta done anything more that I haven't noticed?
I think '05' needs to be substituted with '2 year old' for the purposes of the example I believe.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 11:25 (Ref:1898442)   #58
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Even that would be unfair to the drivers of the 04 cars since they were a major step behind 05 and 06 cars.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 11:33 (Ref:1898451)   #59
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just caught the Steanta replay...horrible smash. It's the one they all fear, the side on impact and Kristensen can thank his lucky stars for that one. He is fortunate to be alive!

Credit to DTM though, the cars are extremely safe.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 12:11 (Ref:1898497)   #60
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thankfully it's temporary but Alexandre to miss a few weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash.net
While Kristensen was found to have suffered extensive bruising, his Audi team-mate sustained a rupture of a lumbar vertebrae in the 160kph impact. Although doctors have confirmed that the injury will not result in any permanent damage, Premat's DTM career will be put on hold for several weeks.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 14:57 (Ref:1898635)   #61
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fechna
I agree that Ekström won because of the good strategy, but the Audi´s also were incredible fast this weekend on this Mercedes-homeground. If they can hold this performance over the year, they will have good chances to win the championship. Especially on the twistier circuits like Oschersleben...

Man of the day is of course Paul di Resta, but I disagree if you say without the bad startegy he would have won. He wasn´t even close to the frontrunners at the end. With good strategy I would have expected him on 2-4. But never forget: The lighter 05 cars are very, very fast on straights, something that could be seen even last year (but the drivers sucked completely) and is very important at Hockenheim. I predict the two-year-cars on low grid positions at Oschersleben.
According to my (to be honest, not extremely well developed) knowledge of fysics, I think that not weight but aerodynamics and enginepower are the most important factors for top-speed. Weight is more important in cornering and (especially) braking and accelerating. I don't know if the newer cars have more power than the old cars, but if that is not the case, than old cars should work best on tracks with many short straights after slow corners.
Having said that, I don't think the weightdifferences are that large, if you consider the power and the high-tech nature of the cars.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 22:26 (Ref:1898936)   #62
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Charlies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frightening accident for Kristensen. On the in-car footage from Paffett's car, Premat seemed to just stop dead. It'll have helped that they sit closer to the centre of the car in DTM, but it's amazing he has only suffered bruising and that Premat's injuries aren't too severe.

The race was a bit confusing, being cut so short. An Audi 1-2 is a surprise, especially at Hockenheim, but why, except for Spengler (who deserved the penalty), were the Mercedes '07 cars off the pace? And although Di Resta wasn't on for the win, it was still a great drive, even if Carlton Kirby seems to have 'Hamilton Syndrome'.

Have too wait for Oschersleben to see how Carroll fares. Pity it's such a dull track.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 23:20 (Ref:1898964)   #63
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I assume the shape of the new C-Class is a problem for the aero of the car. The front of the car is quite a bit higher than before to meet the standards for the "Pedestrian Impact Test". The Audis have this since they switched to the newer A4 in 2005.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 07:51 (Ref:1899092)   #64
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Before the race Mika Häkkinen told on Urheilukanava's (Finnish broadcaster) interview that the new car is fast but very difficult to set-up. Even a small change makes a big difference...

So I guess they'll be quicker later then they learn more about how new car reacts to different setups.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 09:02 (Ref:1899142)   #65
Fechna
Racer

Germany
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole
Even that would be unfair to the drivers of the 04 cars since they were a major step behind 05 and 06 cars.
Everyone knows, that at least Vanina Ickx and Susie Stoddart are just having their seats for promotion. They have much more air time on TV then the drivers standing 2-8 places in front of them...

I just know, that last year the commentary said that the older cars have a plus in Top-Speed, and thats why they have a nice performance at Norisring.
Di Resta did a great job, no question, but we´ll have to wait how good a 2year old car can perform on a slower track, where the new developed chassis will have a bigger advantage.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 09:05 (Ref:1899144)   #66
Fechna
Racer

Germany
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker
Before the race Mika Häkkinen told on Urheilukanava's (Finnish broadcaster) interview that the new car is fast but very difficult to set-up. Even a small change makes a big difference...

So I guess they'll be quicker later then they learn more about how new car reacts to different setups.

Hmm, thats what they said about the 2006 and 2005 Audi and the Opel since 2001. Fast but hard to set up...

Hopefully this is no bad sign for the rest of the season, even if I am an Audi Fan and would love to see Ekström as a champion again.
Old 25 Apr 2007, 17:18 (Ref:1900303)   #67
THIM
Racer

Poland
THIM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO Kristensen shouldn't push throttle after spin, he was moving inside the corner, where he would stop, if he pushed the brake instead. But he probably wanted to come back to the race rapidly...