Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 28 Jun 2005, 08:49 (Ref:1341777)   #51
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinStu
Now I’m no mechanical expert, but I cannot imagine what or how a spirit level could be useful a racecar, let alone a bright pink one.
Many uses in setting up a car!
Old 28 Jun 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1342051)   #52
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The front windscreen fell off a car at the AMOC meeting a few years ago and it was collected intact at the end of the session by one of the clerks.

Old 28 Jun 2005, 17:56 (Ref:1342193)   #53
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we had a similar one to that last year at the Gt meeting. A corvette ran wide at lakeside and the rear windown fell out, and i think it was intact. That was until a ferrari also ran wide and ran over it!!!
Old 28 Jun 2005, 18:09 (Ref:1342211)   #54
Jennifer_ni
Clears incidents with the POWER OF HER MIND!
Racer

Ireland
Co-Kildare
Jennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think about the best i've had is a torch from a btcc car at d23 in mondello 2 years ago!!
Old 28 Jun 2005, 18:14 (Ref:1342217)   #55
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Ooh Grant got Tom Chilton falling out of his car - does that count?
Old 28 Jun 2005, 18:15 (Ref:1342218)   #56
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few years ago in Hafren forest a Subaru rolled into the Scenery, depositing many enticing bits and bobs, including most of a snap-on tool kit, the Marshals on scene, attended to the crew and tidied up the mess, the crew announced their intention to walk back to the stage start. Despite the marshals asking them to stay with the car off the crew went, (two corners down the stage they were nearly killed by the recue crew coming to deal with their incident) When they returned to the scene, the snap-on tools had gone!
Moral, allways do as the Marshals ask!
Old 28 Jun 2005, 21:32 (Ref:1342363)   #57
Rookie

England
Near France
206180 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know a driver lost his false teeth at a Bentley Drivers Club meeting earlier this year at Silverstone, marshals had them hanging in their hut apparently !!!
Old 28 Jun 2005, 23:12 (Ref:1342434)   #58
sib668
Rookie

England
teesside
sib668 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
also had the entire rear window from a porsche 924 fly off at esses at Croft. Fully intact and collected at end of race
Old 29 Jun 2005, 02:02 (Ref:1342479)   #59
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had a door come flying off a Porsche a few years ago at Mosport. All the marshals at the turn signed it and returned it to the pits. The next day, the car was racing with sigs all over the door.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1342863)   #60
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
we had a similar one to that last year at the Gt meeting. A corvette ran wide at lakeside and the rear windown fell out, and i think it was intact. That was until a ferrari also ran wide and ran over it!!!
Would you believe it but mine also happened on the sweep between Cascades and Lakeside..........

Old 29 Jun 2005, 16:47 (Ref:1343084)   #61
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Many years ago at a HSCC meeting at Brands, an old F1 car braked for Druids and all the information leaflets that had been displayed on the rear wing fell off. Still not entirely sure how they lasted that long!

The best one used to be the karting at the Autosport show at the NEC. Large quantities of loose change from pockets were gratefully collected by us all between sessions.

PS: The driver with the brass pig was told that it was probably not a good idea to re-attach it, as something that heavy coming off at speed could do somebody a nasty injury.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 23:28 (Ref:1343378)   #62
McPherson Strut
Rookie

Scotland
Edinburgh
McPherson Strut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flying Battery

Ex-Formula Atlantic racer, Bernard Hunter, arrived at Tower after the start of his race on the old circuit at Croft back in 1980 and was passed by his jump-start battery and the relevant leads which had been left attached to his car on the grid. The battery was last seen exploding into a mass of bits on the banking on the outside !! He also had a rather bizarre incident at Knockhill in the same year when on the last lap of practice for the Hitachi Formula Atlantic race, his engine blew up crossing up the start/finish line. It appears that the helmet intercom cable had been left disconnecetd after his last pit-stop and and had lodged in the timing belt on the front of the engine immediately behind his head. Result - very large and expensive bang !!
Also had a Metro Challenge car blow its engine at maximum revs coming thorugh Chapel onto the Hanger Straight at Silverstone back in 1985 at the GP meeting and part of the block came through the front wing and took a chunk out of the wall below the marshals post. Scary ! When we viewed the damaged engine after the event you could have put your foot in the hole left in the block !
Any more classic engine blow-ups ?
Old 30 Jun 2005, 22:55 (Ref:1344314)   #63
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Blow up

Sorry if I'm a bit indefinite about this, but a meeting a few years ago at Mallory included a race for big Yank Tanks. One exploded its clutch on the start-finish straight, and left half the clutch plate embedded in the underside of the bridge. I have a pic of it.
The hole in the bonnet was more than two-fist sized.
JOhn
Old 1 Jul 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1344937)   #64
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On my mantlepiece is a rather large chunk of gearbox that hit the top of the armco approx 12 inch from where my Bill was standing. He knew nothing until it hit.

Is he a fool for keeping it or am I a bigger fool for dusting it?
Old 2 Jul 2005, 19:18 (Ref:1345571)   #65
JLD
Racer

JLD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found a brake spanner on the track at Oulton today. It wasn't there at the end of the morning session, but was before tha start of the afternoon session, so it must have come from;
1) one of the NW Centre MGs that were parading around the track during the lunch break.
2) a marshal's car as they went to/from lunch
3) a rescue or course car.

anyone know which?
Old 2 Jul 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1345618)   #66
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
Most interesting thing I've seen fly off a car was at the Winton Formula Ford Festival many years ago one of the FF's run over a large brown snake that had decided to cross the track mid race. The body of said snake was flung into the air and landed on the engine cover of a following car. If only it came down a little sooner, I'd love to have seen a drivers reaction to a snake landing on his lap

Oh, the snake didn't make it.

Er, snakes? Australia you say? / make note for myself: do not marshall in Australia/
Old 2 Jul 2005, 22:01 (Ref:1345623)   #67
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccooke
..... at the end of the race a certain Turkish driver who had threatened to punch me ...
Remarkable, I never had a driver coming at me in 26 years of marshalling.

Frank (1m94, 97 kg)
Old 3 Jul 2005, 11:17 (Ref:1345878)   #68
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well at clay hill on mgcc yesterday we found an electric toothbrush on the track?
Old 3 Jul 2005, 12:23 (Ref:1345914)   #69
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I found an "electric device" that came out of a car at a National round that I marshalled at a few years ago. It was passed on to the sector marshall with the car number, never heard what happened with it.
Old 3 Jul 2005, 17:54 (Ref:1346176)   #70
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch chap
Er, snakes? Australia you say? / make note for myself: do not marshall in Australia/
Who needs Australia! A few years back racing was delayed at Pembrey because of snakes on the startline!
Old 3 Jul 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1346253)   #71
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey

I don't think it fell from a car but on the first track inspection yesterday I found a blown egg, perfectly clean and empty, but with the missing top placed inside it.

Old 4 Jul 2005, 08:32 (Ref:1346602)   #72
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD
Sorry if I'm a bit indefinite about this, but a meeting a few years ago at Mallory included a race for big Yank Tanks. One exploded its clutch on the start-finish straight, and left half the clutch plate embedded in the underside of the bridge. I have a pic of it.
The hole in the bonnet was more than two-fist sized.
JOhn

i was in that race and it was the most bizarre thing ive seen whilst racing!! the mustangs flywheel exploded along the start/finish straight in qualifying for a phtc race. the bellhousing was smashed.the chassis rails were cut through each side along with the brake lines/wiring/etc.the main part must have come upwards cutting a big hole in the bonnet. as we lined up for our race in the afternoon someone noticed half the flywheel stuck in the bridge.........
Old 4 Jul 2005, 10:05 (Ref:1346677)   #73
175MPH
Rookie

175MPH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

One of the guys at Croix over the weekend picked up a set of nail clippers??,
Old 4 Jul 2005, 10:14 (Ref:1346686)   #74
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 175MPH
One of the guys at Croix over the weekend picked up a set of nail clippers??,
Are you sure they weren't Snail clippers!!
Old 4 Jul 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1346781)   #75
sinex
Rookie

United Kingdom
Eastleigh
sinex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 years ago while marshalling the British Championship round at Gurston, I was on Ashes corner and some Kitchen Roll came out of Adam Fleetwoods car during the top 12 run off.