Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Aug 2005, 08:07 (Ref:1387261)   #1
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
V8 Superstars -- Has it run it's race

After watching today's edtion of superstars (which I thought was the best of the year to date-- besides Murph carrying like a moron) I ask the question has v8 superstars run it's race.

Diffey running the panel has not really helped and with the addition of a sale of the centuary style question session, and the bar segment in which I think is the best thing on the show.

But the show is still the same as it was 4years ago Skaife bags Ingall , Ingall bags Skaife etc etc.

Comments please.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 21 Aug 2005, 08:27 (Ref:1387268)   #2
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Novelty has worn off a bit...but it's still alright for a bit of a chuckle.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 08:31 (Ref:1387271)   #3
Rob 18
Racer

Rob 18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim Smith's crack about Skaife was a pearler. Overall not a bad show today but they MUST give more air time to the guests. When they have blokes of the calibre of Mr Seton & Lowndes on a panel show, we actually wan't to see them have some input. Every time they seem to cross to one of the 4 guests, one of the other boofheads just interupts. I mean, how many gags can you have about Jones rolling the #21 BA or Ingall puting it into the kitty litter on his 1st stint of the 2003 Sandown 500. It get's a tad boring after a while...
Old 21 Aug 2005, 09:02 (Ref:1387282)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All I can say is that if they put the outtakes together and screened it late at night sometime, they would have a ratings winner!!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 21 Aug 2005, 09:33 (Ref:1387293)   #5
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That'd fill the hole left by Big Brother Up Late - V8 Superstars Up Late - now that is TV I'd watch!
Old 21 Aug 2005, 10:15 (Ref:1387325)   #6
bloggs
Racer

Australia
Goldcoast
bloggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm Excited.........

or so I thought, when I read Sth Aust's sunday paper's TV guide, that said V8Superstars, Hosted by Bill Woods, today. I thought that channel serious had finally come to their senses and got rid of Diffey as host, but to my shock they hadn't.

For me the worst part is the Brain Drain, that has to GO. Find another way for the teams to donate to charity.

Maybe it's time for a review of the whole panel of drivers, just to give some other drivers Airtime.
one hellava life
Old 21 Aug 2005, 10:17 (Ref:1387326)   #7
FORDSTAR1
Rookie

FORDSTAR1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get rid of the question session AND Tim Smith. The guy has no place on the commentary team and is not funny.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1387327)   #8
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It still serves it's purpose as a bit of light entertainment. I sometimes think they have too many people on and maybe they should rotate the regular guys (Skaife, Ingall, Jones and Murphy) with other drivers like Seton & Lowndes as well as some team managers. But keep the panel to about six people plus Diffey.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 10:27 (Ref:1387336)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggs
Maybe it's time for a review of the whole panel of drivers, just to give some other drivers Airtime.
How do you do that when the sponsors pay for the seats??
Old 21 Aug 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1387370)   #10
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
How do you do that when the sponsors pay for the seats??

Am I missing something --surly not -- the sponser do not pay for their drivers to appear on the box do they.

I must wake up now.

As was stated on this thread rotate the regular drivers with new talent-- there are 32 drivers remember not just 6 or 7 .
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 21 Aug 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1387375)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Did you notice the Holden ads during the telecast? Or the SuperCheap ads... or the BOC ads... or indeed the Caltex Vortex segment on the show....

As I understand it, 4 are indirectly paying... the other 4 are free and easy... kinda.. they never had Speedy on the show in his time in Supercar
Old 21 Aug 2005, 13:26 (Ref:1387400)   #12
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Did you notice the Holden ads during the telecast? Or the SuperCheap ads... or the BOC ads... or indeed the Caltex Vortex segment on the show....

As I understand it, 4 are indirectly paying... the other 4 are free and easy... kinda.. they never had Speedy on the show in his time in Supercar
I figured the Four Stooges paid to be there(waste of money IMHO),but often wondered about the "guests",whether they had to pay to be there.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 15:16 (Ref:1387519)   #13
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Make it a full blown "Footy Show" clone, or go back to the more hard hitting show, with Ross Stone apologising to Skaifey for "talking while you were interupting".
Old 21 Aug 2005, 17:56 (Ref:1387623)   #14
rusky26
Rookie

rusky26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was looking forward to watching "Trackside", but this garbage was on instead.....but at least it gave me the chance to go and mow the lawn.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 20:55 (Ref:1387797)   #15
hrt_rulz01
Racer

Australia
Australia
hrt_rulz01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
v8 superstars isnt that bad. i mean it lets us know some stuff about whats going on. for example, skaife cleared up for me that he & todd were driving together! its good to get the drivers thoughts!
Old 21 Aug 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1387813)   #16
hml2777
Racer

Cuba
Guantanamo Bay
hml2777 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 Superboring is just a plot to attempt keep the interest level up in between races - nothing more! HO - HUM
Old 22 Aug 2005, 01:13 (Ref:1387919)   #17
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They need to get rid of:

1) Leigh Diffy
2) the "bar"/Tim Smith
3) the quiz

Each one is hopelessly flawed and BORING.

Leigh Diffy stumbles from each inarticulate sentence to the next. Bill Woods is a professional. Leigh Diffy just doesn't cut it and brings down the commentary.

The bar is pathetic. I thought the show was for kiddies? Make up your minds.

The quiz is a gimmick that doesn't achieve what the show is about: talking about motorsport.

They HAVE gotten rid of tralking about international motorsport, which is very welcome.

I am less inclined to watch Tens coverage of anything V8 Supercars when Leigh Diffy is involved.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 01:26 (Ref:1387925)   #18
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never really watched this show, haven't even bothered to watch it with Diffy as the host. But it was just turning into a load of garbage come the end of last year, cheap shots, the usual banter, cokcyness and really some were just plain rude to the guests who barely got a go just because they wouldn't join in the banter.

They failed to tackle the V8 issues head on. And it somehow changed its target audience to 12 year olds.

What do you get out of watching the show?
Why do people watch the show?
What do the people want to know?
What do the people want changed on the show?

I think if they looked at those aspects it would help their show. But it seems the show might not be aimed at the total enthusiasts as its not really a hard hitting issues show, its very very light hearted, too light hearted. And basically not enough discussion.

I wont be sitting down to watch it anytime soon thats for sure.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 02:23 (Ref:1387940)   #19
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't comment as I gave up watching Superstars after the last one which was pretty much crap. Much more fun watching Blokesworld on Friday night. Now there's a show that's hard-hitting, honest and factual. No it's not, but it is a fun way to end the week and rock into the weekend.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 06:03 (Ref:1387992)   #20
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess its gone the same way as all forms of entertainment these days: appeal to the lowest common denominator, at all costs.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 07:26 (Ref:1388030)   #21
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Footy show clone? What like when they put a comedian behind a 'bar' to wisecrack jokes? It's a clone now.

Problem is, eight drivers is too many. If one of them doesn't have a forceful enough personality, then he doesn't say a thing the entire show and the host has to through a question to him directly.

Fair enough that four seats are paid for, it's not unusual. Remember the old deal about which cars got the racecams? The Melbourne footy show has hundreds of footballers to choose from but they have a regular group (that they pay) to rotate through the chairs rather than group people willy nilly.

Some V8 are too opinated (you'd never have Craig Gore in a chair) because they would not care about the shows responsibilities, and some just don't have personality enough (how often does Ambrose do the show?).

V8Superstars is entertainment first - you have to bear that in mind when picking people.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 08:12 (Ref:1388059)   #22
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im not enjoying this years shows at all. I dont think anyone will agree with me, but get Neil Crompton back, get rid of Tim Smith, the guy aint funny, sorry, he is annoying

The whole trivia thing i dont like either...i want to hear their thoughts on motorsport, their class of racing etc, not if they happen to know anything about stuff from 20 yrs ago.

I didnt even bother watching the last show based on the fact hated the earlier shows...use to really enjoy it too

Did i mention i hate Tim Smith
Old 22 Aug 2005, 08:19 (Ref:1388062)   #23
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i have attended two tapings in the past. but this year i have not watched a show. there is no reason, just havent watched it
Old 22 Aug 2005, 09:00 (Ref:1388084)   #24
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do they still re-do the opening introductions at the end of the show if the cheering isn't loud enough first time around?
Old 22 Aug 2005, 09:41 (Ref:1388106)   #25
bloggs
Racer

Australia
Goldcoast
bloggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and Diffey's,,, Give It Up For...........

Just get rid of Diffey.
one hellava life