Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 10 Apr 2012, 16:25 (Ref:3056558)   #2201
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
This could lead to a new venue for ALMS as pointed out in the article:

http://www.formula1blog.com/2012/04/...nto-austin-gp/
Old 10 Apr 2012, 16:28 (Ref:3056560)   #2202
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post

I think that is an exciting possibility for ALMS and would be an upgrade in my opinion.

DK
Old 10 Apr 2012, 17:01 (Ref:3056584)   #2203
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Catingaround should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Would be nice to see a WEC event at CoTA with the ALMS minus the challenge cars. If The WEC moves from Sebring to CoTA we may get to see some of the factory teams show for Sebring as a season prep in addition to the US WEC round.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 18:13 (Ref:3056636)   #2204
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
No more WEC combined events please. The series needs to build (rebuild) itself on it's own merits.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 18:37 (Ref:3056652)   #2205
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Catingaround should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
No more WEC combined events please. The series needs to build (rebuild) itself on it's own merits.
I like the combined events for the chance to see the other teams but if it comes at the cost of growing the ALMS, well I would choose to see the ALMS flourish instead.

Does the WEC combined events hurt the ALMS? I wouldn't think so beyond some car count finger pointing from a few GA fans. Maybe if there were No WEC events in North America, Audi, Toyota, Aston etc may choose to add something to the ALMS ranks?
Old 10 Apr 2012, 19:22 (Ref:3056689)   #2206
merlot brougham
Racer

United States
Chapel Hill
merlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmerlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
I'm kinda with you on this one. It was absurd that think that Joey Hand and Oli Beretta were duking it out like they were and they both won. Try and explain that to the casual fan.

For completely selfish reasons I'm terrified about what could happen. Since The Don owns both Sebring and Road Atlanta I can see him giving the FIA/ACO the finger on making Sebring a part of the WEC exclusively.

I go to Sebring and PLM every year and I am already sad that PLM will be a shadow of it's former glory without the international teams. If that happens to Sebring too I'll be absolutely gutted. I don't want to go to freaking Texas to see a race.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 19:25 (Ref:3056692)   #2207
merlot brougham
Racer

United States
Chapel Hill
merlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmerlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catingaround View Post
Does the WEC combined events hurt the ALMS? I wouldn't think so beyond some car count finger pointing from a few GA fans. Maybe if there were No WEC events in North America, Audi, Toyota, Aston etc may choose to add something to the ALMS ranks?
Maybe, maybe not when there is a World Endurance Championship. Regardless of anything the combined events don't look like they would happen anyway. At Sebring Jean Todt basically said that the combined situation was not desired and would not be done going forward.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 19:51 (Ref:3056717)   #2208
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I agree on this point. If the ALMS can keep the WEC out of the United States I could see Audi (Penske) and Toyota (Ganassi) having a customer/heavily factory supported car in the ALMS.
Old 11 Apr 2012, 03:19 (Ref:3056915)   #2209
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-nissan-power/

Conquest LMP2 confirmed to use Nissan LMP2 engine for rest of season, including Long Beach
Old 12 Apr 2012, 06:38 (Ref:3057617)   #2210
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Why not create an American sportscar 'Festival' with an ALMS race on Saturday and WEC on Sunday?

ALMS double head with Indycars so why not with WEC?
Old 12 Apr 2012, 11:54 (Ref:3057769)   #2211
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like a great idea to me Mal. What is the situation regarding wild card entries into the WEC in case any potential ALMS entries decided they wanted to enter does anyone know? Personally though I have a tough time imagining it happening for numerous reasons, not least the ALMS not wanting to feel upstaged by the WEC, not trying to be contraversial here but that is my gut reaction.
Old 12 Apr 2012, 23:53 (Ref:3058115)   #2212
merlot brougham
Racer

United States
Chapel Hill
Quote:
Why not create an American sportscar 'Festival' with an ALMS race on Saturday and WEC on Sunday?

Holy crap that would be awesome!!! But really, with all the politics and egos involved I would give that proposal a slim to none chance. And I'm not sure how many spectators' bodies could handle the additional day of partying!
Old 13 Apr 2012, 01:16 (Ref:3058136)   #2213
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Whats the latest on L5 , are they setting up shop at LB ?
Old 13 Apr 2012, 01:24 (Ref:3058137)   #2214
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Whats the latest on L5 , are they setting up shop at LB ?
As far as I know they are. RLM tweeted a pic of them setting up earlier today.
Old 13 Apr 2012, 01:47 (Ref:3058141)   #2215
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I already suggested that if the ACO/FIA want a WEC-only race at Sebring they could have a six-hour on Sunday.
Old 13 Apr 2012, 04:59 (Ref:3058178)   #2216
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Its the 12 hours of Sebring , its a tradition and should stay that way .

Shame on you for suggesting such sacrilage !!!
Old 13 Apr 2012, 05:52 (Ref:3058189)   #2217
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danske View Post
I already suggested that if the ACO/FIA want a WEC-only race at Sebring they could have a six-hour on Sunday.
I dont think it would work at Sebring as the 12 hour is too big an event in its own right, but they could easily create a sportscar festival weekend to help kick off Austin. Invite loads of cars clubs and historic racing as support, have music, camping and plenty of beer and a new classic weekend could follow.
Old 13 Apr 2012, 05:58 (Ref:3058192)   #2218
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Danske was suggesting a six-hour race the day after the 12-hour---which I would both love and hate (exhaustion does funny things to the mind.)

A similar set-up at CotA would also work, but i am a lot closer to Sebring, so that's decided.
Old 13 Apr 2012, 06:39 (Ref:3058198)   #2219
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I think Danske was suggesting a six-hour race the day after the 12-hour---which I would both love and hate (exhaustion does funny things to the mind.)

A similar set-up at CotA would also work, but i am a lot closer to Sebring, so that's decided.
I understand that but I think Sebring should remain a stand alone event in its own right. There is little point in adding WEC to it as it already attracts a massive crowd. The big win would be to create an event that can attract similar numbers in a different part of the country.
Old 13 Apr 2012, 07:19 (Ref:3058208)   #2220
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...with-alex-job/
Dagys interviews Alex Job Racing about the Lotus Evora GTE.

Some tidbits:
2012 engine had problems when dyno testing, so they're running the 2011 engine this round. Hope to get it working by Laguna Seca.

AJR is hoping to add a 2nd Evora GTE by next year, could be racing before end of this year. Keeping communication with the European Lotus Evora team.
Old 13 Apr 2012, 08:00 (Ref:3058219)   #2221
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...with-alex-job/
Dagys interviews Alex Job Racing about the Lotus Evora GTE.

Some tidbits:
2012 engine had problems when dyno testing, so they're running the 2011 engine this round. Hope to get it working by Laguna Seca.

AJR is hoping to add a 2nd Evora GTE by next year, could be racing before end of this year. Keeping communication with the European Lotus Evora team.
Wish AJR best of luck with the Evora. They will need it!
Old 13 Apr 2012, 17:03 (Ref:3058490)   #2222
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another car for Dyson?

http://twitter.com/#!/johndagys

Quote:
Will have more from Chris Dyson about likely #ALMS expansion in tomorrow's notebook. #ALMS #TGPLB
Old 13 Apr 2012, 17:11 (Ref:3058493)   #2223
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
I'm going to guess a PC car like muscle milk racing or maybe even a new gt
Old 13 Apr 2012, 17:24 (Ref:3058499)   #2224
fanta4
Racer

United States
AKA fanta
fanta4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
Another car for Dyson?

http://twitter.com/#!/johndagys
It could be something as simple as an "expansion" of the 2nd car for all of the remaining races of the season. The 2nd car was only committed to the 5 sprint races after Long Beach. That would leave out Monterey and Petit Le Mans. Maybe this an "expansion" to those longer endurance races. Dyson is very committed to Lola, so I can't really see them picking up another car, unless it's another Lola for P1.
Old 13 Apr 2012, 17:46 (Ref:3058507)   #2225
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Quote:
I'm going to guess a PC car like muscle milk racing or maybe even a new gt
I would think it would just be the 2nd new Lola from after the Le Mans break through Petit