Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Nov 2013, 04:07 (Ref:3329199)   #1326
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oak, Peacom, Graves, and ADR Delta. That's most of the LMP2 WEC grid right there that wants to run the Daytona 24. I do recall back in the 90's that Daytona was a huge draw to privateer Euro teams. Looks like that again

I'm surprised the car cap limit has not dampened their enthusiasm. I certainly see someone being left off the entry list though unless these teams align themselves with a team running full time. Such as the alliance between ADR Delta and Action Express.
Old 9 Nov 2013, 04:12 (Ref:3329201)   #1327
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
http://www.racer.com/insight-another...rticle/320145/

The growth of the Falken/Porsche relationship, and perhaps Falken is going to La Sarthe??

Falken going to Le Mans would be pretty cool...

Last edited by Mechanic Z; 9 Nov 2013 at 04:19.
Old 9 Nov 2013, 04:53 (Ref:3329206)   #1328
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
The Cup-cars are built on the regular assembly line in Zuffenhausen, the RSRs over in Weissach...
Interesting. Maybe a new culture from the parent company...
Old 9 Nov 2013, 08:15 (Ref:3329251)   #1329
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Interesting. Maybe a new culture from the parent company...
I think the problem might be that the GTE-market has become so small, yet competitive that the RSR simply isn't a profit center anymore. Porsche has pretty much switched to the Corvette-GT1 model here: running a factory team and giving the leftovers to the privateers.
Old 9 Nov 2013, 14:49 (Ref:3329344)   #1330
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I think the problem might be that the GTE-market has become so small, yet competitive that the RSR simply isn't a profit center anymore. Porsche has pretty much switched to the Corvette-GT1 model here: running a factory team and giving the leftovers to the privateers.
Yup! Their GT3 R and Cup are definitely more popular to customers than the RSR. Let's not forget that most Porsche teams that run the RSR are now in GTE-Am, where they have to run cars that are at least one year old. It simply doesn't make sense to produce new cars each year when the customers can't buy them.
Old 9 Nov 2013, 15:13 (Ref:3329355)   #1331
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Porsche has pretty much switched to the Corvette-GT1 model here: running a factory team and giving the leftovers to the privateers.
The 2014 Falken car is going to be a brand new chassis.

I'm not sure what Porsche is going to do with this years leftover Manthey cars.
Old 9 Nov 2013, 15:19 (Ref:3329358)   #1332
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
I'm not sure what Porsche is going to do with this years leftover Manthey cars.
Probably depends on what plans the Porsche GTE-Am teams in the WEC and ELMS have for next year, maybe one or two of them will get a 2013-spec ex-factory car... or has the spec of GTE-Am cars been frozen at the start of this year?
Old 9 Nov 2013, 15:25 (Ref:3329359)   #1333
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Probably depends on what plans the Porsche GTE-Am teams in the WEC and ELMS have for next year, maybe one or two of them will get a 2013-spec ex-factory car... or has the spec of GTE-Am cars been frozen at the start of this year?
I wonder if the Lemans 2013 class winning car will be retired.
Old 9 Nov 2013, 16:39 (Ref:3329368)   #1334
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wow, Sahlen pull both their cars from TUSC next season - no reason given.

http://www.racer.com/team-sahlen-wit...rticle/320308/

That opens out the entry cap a bit for those Euro crews.

Biggest question for me is who snaps up Dane Cameron? He deserves a plum full season drive.
Old 9 Nov 2013, 16:46 (Ref:3329373)   #1335
canciaro
Racer

Canada
Windsor
canciaro is a back marker
YESSSS!! OAK, PECOM, Maybe a Muscle Milk entry?? Ian Dawson & Conquest are usually a 20% chance of entering, but please more REAL Prototype cars.

Michigan Football & Basketball, Oregon Football, Detroit Tigers
Old 9 Nov 2013, 16:47 (Ref:3329374)   #1336
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Can't say it is really a surprise, they were a small team and the DP upgrades are obviously expensive.

Seems like the Euro teams will be able to come and play after all, which is fine with me!

This now also takes Dinan-BMW completely out of the P class.
Old 9 Nov 2013, 17:09 (Ref:3329377)   #1337
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
I do recall back in the 90's that Daytona was a huge draw to privateer Euro teams.
It really always was a draw for private teams from Europe, especially for Porsches. It was early enough the teams could get here and get back before the European season started.
Old 9 Nov 2013, 17:22 (Ref:3329380)   #1338
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
Can't say it is really a surprise, they were a small team and the DP upgrades are obviously expensive.

Seems like the Euro teams will be able to come and play after all, which is fine with me!

This now also takes Dinan-BMW completely out of the P class.
They haven't confirmed an engine for next year, but Starworks ran BMW motors the last 5 races last year.
Old 9 Nov 2013, 17:40 (Ref:3329385)   #1339
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
They haven't confirmed an engine for next year, but Starworks ran BMW motors the last 5 races last year.
And Radio Le Mans were reporting that the mooted Delta-ADR/Action Express jointly-run generic bodywork Coyote DP would run the Dinan engine too.
Old 9 Nov 2013, 17:48 (Ref:3329389)   #1340
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Wow, Sahlen pull both their cars from TUSC next season - no reason given.

http://www.racer.com/team-sahlen-wit...rticle/320308/

That opens out the entry cap a bit for those Euro crews.

Biggest question for me is who snaps up Dane Cameron? He deserves a plum full season drive.
Wow, that is sad news! The team made a huge investment last year with the DPs and now they can't run them. I hope they return in some form in 2015.

About Dane Cameron, maybe Starworks may pick him up since they lost Dalziel to ESM?
Old 9 Nov 2013, 18:16 (Ref:3329401)   #1341
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just got the email alert from Racer about Sahlen's. What a drag. I really liked the teasm and the all-pro car was developing into a contender. I guess one million more just to enter was a bit too much to support on a pile of hot dogs.

Re: BMW power---as I recall Starworks was looking at P2 chassis as well, so they might come back with anything in2014. Dinan was also working on a P2 motor I believe, so we could see a Honda-BMW from Peter Barron---wouldn't that be a hoot?

All the more so if TUSC maintains the Rolex tradition (which they will according to the rules I read) of calling the car by it's engine before its chassis. What great free publicity for BMW? "Dane Cameron in the #2 Starworks BMW passes Jordan Taylor's WTR Corvette under breaking for Turn Seven." And it won't cost BMW a dime.

All joking aside, sad to see this long-time team sitting out the season. I hope after the rules stabilize, The Sahlens/Nonnemakers can pick up a couple old P2s and take another shot.

Or, maybe they still have their "Mazda" tubers. Slap Mazda6 bodywork on them and really confuse the crowd.
Old 9 Nov 2013, 19:23 (Ref:3329410)   #1342
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Real pity, enjoyed watching the team this year and some of Dane Cameron's performances were outstanding. Hope they'll be back at the top level in 2015 as mooted, hopefully with a p2 as they'd be a team I'd love to see at LM. Truely within the spirit of the sport and will be a loss to the series.

Here's hoping Cameron finds a ride in a big team too, maybe an outside bet for one of Corvette Racing's 3rd seats?
Old 9 Nov 2013, 19:37 (Ref:3329416)   #1343
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm another one relatively unsurprised by the Sahlen's withdrawal in light of the new rules, and like many I sincerely hope Dane Cameron gets an opportunity somewhere else. It could be a good thing for him as long as that something else is stable - Sahlen's certainly was, but it was also not as part of a race-contending lineup.
Old 9 Nov 2013, 22:05 (Ref:3329452)   #1344
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canciaro View Post
YESSSS!! OAK, PECOM, Maybe a Muscle Milk entry?? Ian Dawson & Conquest are usually a 20% chance of entering, but please more REAL Prototype cars.
So you cheer the loss of a likeable, family run team that has been reliable supporter of the series over recent years, made a significant investment buying 2 cars last year and helped put an impressive young talent in the spotlight, because it might leave a spot Ian Dawson? The guy who makes all kinds of empty promises and then shows up with a joke when he does finally show up? How desperate must you be?

In my opinion, this is the same level of low as hoping a team will crash so that your favorite team can win the race. One of the dumbest posts I've seen in a long time.
Old 9 Nov 2013, 22:42 (Ref:3329459)   #1345
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he was hoping for pecom or oak,over conquest or and libra.

I feel the same as you though.not happy losing a wonderful team and maybe gaining a European team that's never been here before, supported either series,and is only interested in a few races and some attention.
Old 9 Nov 2013, 22:44 (Ref:3329460)   #1346
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Old 10 Nov 2013, 00:13 (Ref:3329476)   #1347
canciaro
Racer

Canada
Windsor
canciaro is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
So you cheer the loss of a likeable, family run team that has been reliable supporter of the series over recent years, made a significant investment buying 2 cars last year and helped put an impressive young talent in the spotlight, because it might leave a spot Ian Dawson? The guy who makes all kinds of empty promises and then shows up with a joke when he does finally show up? How desperate must you be?

In my opinion, this is the same level of low as hoping a team will crash so that your favorite team can win the race. One of the dumbest posts I've seen in a long time.
Im saying that the professional teams seem to be committed, I just added the Conquest and Ian Dawson thing because I read an article about them today. I thought the 20% was sarcasm enough but apparently this forum is very serious.

But id still rather see somewhat iffy entries than Riley DP cars. And most of all Id rather see more GTLM cars but hey they wanna cap that class to 12 for some rediculous reason.

Michigan Football & Basketball, Oregon Football, Detroit Tigers
Old 10 Nov 2013, 00:27 (Ref:3329479)   #1348
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I too would rather see more P2 cars, but Sahlen's is a long-serving privateer team which has supported sportscar racing in North America in various forms out of their own pockets and I think they've been dealt a rough hand here after a major investment for 2013. That makes me sad even if I would rather see other cars on the grid.

Where would >12 full season GTLM entries come from anyway? I think we might be able to squeak our way to 13 possibles, but realistically larger numbers would include guest cars at the enduros where there will be at least a bit of additional capacity anyway. Therefore, a potential class limit of 12 is not ridiculous.
Old 10 Nov 2013, 04:22 (Ref:3329520)   #1349
ACFlinn
Racer

ACFlinn is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Apparently, two DP's in the hand are not worth a few possible (NAEC only? phantom?) LMP2 entries in Europe.

I don't have anything against European LMP2 teams. I just remain skeptical that they can fill the shoes of a high-quality prototype racing team capable of competing for race victories for a full race season.

I'm glad to hear Team Sahlens and the Nonnamakers will be racing somewhere next year as part of IMSA. I appreciate their longstanding support of the Rolex series - be it in GT Porsches, Corvettes or Mazdas, or BMW DP's - the past several years.

They will be missed at the Rolex24 and beyond next year.

Andy Flinn
Old 10 Nov 2013, 04:34 (Ref:3329526)   #1350
ACFlinn
Racer

ACFlinn is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
I'm another one relatively unsurprised by the Sahlen's withdrawal in light of the new rules, and like many I sincerely hope Dane Cameron gets an opportunity somewhere else. It could be a good thing for him as long as that something else is stable - Sahlen's certainly was, but it was also not as part of a race-contending lineup.
I disagree.

Cameron put the Sahlens DP on the pole twice (Road America and Lime Rock) this year, led at Road America and had a great shot at winning that race until the car let them down.

Pretty good for their first year in DP.

Andy Flinn