Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 22 May 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1307471)   #1
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks chaps!

My sincere thanks to Andy, Mick and Terry for their assistance today. It was the first time I've been to Mallory since the new pit lane layout was in use. A very steep learning curve for all of us and some fine tuning still to be done but it will work to our advantage in the end.

Thanks also to the teams for their co-operation and understanding.

Sheila.
Old 23 May 2005, 06:46 (Ref:1307723)   #2
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pity we can't extend the thanks to the organising club the BARC!
It was a very sloppily run meeting, a race was cancelled (although they practiced) without telling the posts, there was no 'ring round' @ the end of the day & in the 1st pickup race the pitlane entrance was shut, so 2 guys that failed during the race had to be left in an unsafe place because thet get into the pits.
At the Observers briefing in the morning we asked about different flags for Legends & Pickups & were told there as no nothing special, then we se a safety car leading the pack round after an 'incident' no SC board on posts, & no gren flags after.
No wonder we're short of marshals, shame on you BARC.
Old 23 May 2005, 08:29 (Ref:1307774)   #3
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
Pity we can't extend the thanks to the organising club the BARC!
It was a very sloppily run meeting, a race was cancelled (although they practiced) without telling the posts, there was no 'ring round' @ the end of the day & in the 1st pickup race the pitlane entrance was shut, so 2 guys that failed during the race had to be left in an unsafe place because thet get into the pits.
At the Observers briefing in the morning we asked about different flags for Legends & Pickups & were told there as no nothing special, then we se a safety car leading the pack round after an 'incident' no SC board on posts, & no gren flags after.
No wonder we're short of marshals, shame on you BARC.
I understand the reason the pit lane entrance was closed for the first pickup race was due to the race being run on the oval. I believe it is a requirement of the track licence that the gate leading into the paddock be closed whenever the oval is being used. Unfortunately, no-one had remembered that the old pit lane entrance was no longer there! Fortunately this oversight was rectified for the second race.

As for the cancelled Legends race, I was given to understand that this was because there weren't enough cars to take part.

Still, we did have a lunch break and we finished before the real rain and hailstones arrived!
Old 23 May 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1307955)   #4
Fred Bromley
Racer

United Kingdom
Lutterworth
Fred Bromley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks from Chief Marshal

Can I add my thanks to all the Marshals at this meeting. I know we were a bit thin on the ground but it was quality and not quantity that saw us through the day.
I know there were problems and things did not run according to plan and these will be pointed out in my Chief Marshals Report to Dale Wells.

Thanks for all the hard work from everyone and I hope that you enjoyed the day.

Fred
Old 23 May 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1308005)   #5
Alastair
Rookie

Alastair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sheila,
If I understand correctly the old pit entrance after the startline has now been closed, meaning all access to the pits is now from the main paddock entrance along throught the assembly area and under the bridge into the pits!

This is worrying as I have had a couple of near misses already this year due to cars comming in that way by mistake on race day whilst trying to line cars up in the assembly area.

How did the assembly marshals cope last Sunday? Was it safe?

Alastair
Old 23 May 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1308057)   #6
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair
Sheila,
If I understand correctly the old pit entrance after the startline has now been closed, meaning all access to the pits is now from the main paddock entrance along throught the assembly area and under the bridge into the pits!

This is worrying as I have had a couple of near misses already this year due to cars comming in that way by mistake on race day whilst trying to line cars up in the assembly area.

Alastair
Hi Alastair,

I have posted a thread on the racers forum about the new pitlane layout if you want to see what I've said. As for how the assembly marshals coped on Sunday - since there was only one of him - Mick Dickens - the answer is admirably. I only had one moment of mild panic when some of the sports cars were reversing into their grid slots in the assembly area and parked broadside in what they hadn't realised was the pit road in the middle of a race, but apart from that it was as safe as an unfinished project can be.

I have to say that at the moment, the situation is a little less than ideal but when everything is finished I have every confidence that it will make our lives a lot easier in the long run.

If you want to speak to me about any aspect of the changes at Mallory, then please pm or e-mail me with your phone number and I'll get back to you.

Sheila
Old 24 May 2005, 09:18 (Ref:1308741)   #7
Alastair
Rookie

Alastair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank's Sheila,

I guess we will see how we cope over the next 2 Sundays. My initial thought is to close the entrance gate halfway along the assembly area and make the assembly area entrance up by the cedarwood bungalow, this would make a long thin assembly area as Silverstone, but later in the afternoon when traffic is queing to leave the paddock that entrance will become blocked.

Whilst I can see the benefits to the pits by moving the entrance, it is dissapointing that yet another assembly area has been compromised just when we have lost all our other regular marshals thanks to the Donnington assembly area situation.

Alastair
Old 24 May 2005, 09:25 (Ref:1308746)   #8
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Alastair, we closed the gate by the hut on Sunday and found that the one-way system operated quite well (apart from those slick-shot cars which refused to use the return road). Perhaps if the hut was moved into the gateway it would give you a little more room. The only other slight problem is the parking of the course cars. My initial thoughts on that were to position one at the pit exit (with a person in it ready to be scrambled if necessary) and the other at the side of race control in the assembly area roadway.
Old 28 May 2005, 21:29 (Ref:1312858)   #9
redone
Rookie

United Kingdom
Nottingham
redone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mallory Park Pitlane

As you well Know Sheila, I had already marshalled an AMOC meeting there before last Sunday. They had no problems on that day! Then again, they had more than 4 Pit marshals! Must say I was VERY disappointed with the standard of clerking last week. Whats happening to BARC @ club level!
Old 28 May 2005, 22:35 (Ref:1312913)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Hi redone, welcome to ten-tenths.
Old 30 May 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1315068)   #11
mini-mental
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
mini-mental should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair
Sheila,

Alastair
I don' know about the safety of the Pit / Assembly Marshals, but the safety of the Marshals at post 12, Rescue and Recovery, Paddock Gate Marshals and all drivers who mad it down the straight have been seriously compromised by the "Solution"!!!!! Some prompt action needs to be taken before someone is seriosly hurt or killed. Really spoilt my enjoyment of Mallory for the first time ever.
Old 30 May 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1315075)   #12
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-mental
I don' know about the safety of the Pit / Assembly Marshals, but the safety of the Marshals at post 12, Rescue and Recovery, Paddock Gate Marshals and all drivers who mad it down the straight have been seriously compromised by the "Solution"!!!!! Some prompt action needs to be taken before someone is seriosly hurt or killed. Really spoilt my enjoyment of Mallory for the first time ever.
If it's any consolation, I'm going to be speaking to John Ward on Wednesday and I'll bring up your concerns then.

If anyone else has any concerns/issues they would like me to raise with John, please PM or e-mail me before Wednesday morning.