Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Sep 2005, 00:26 (Ref:1409676)   #1
More_than_GPS?
Rookie

More_than_GPS? should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does F1 use to track the position of the cars?

While I know this question might sound silly...it'd be neat to gain your feedback.

I know they have sensors on the track that pick up position data off of the cars as they go by - but how good is this data? is the data 2D or 3D...? Like, do they get any information on the altitude, latitude, longtitude info on the cars...?

I'm doing a report and would love to gain your no doubt well informed insights!

Thanks,

holly.
Old 17 Sep 2005, 04:24 (Ref:1409739)   #2
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you talking about where you see on the team's pitwalls, the track map and the little dots for the cars going around? Or just as they go over the sector markers?

The sector markers are some sort of beam, im not exactly sure what type, someone will clear that up. The little track map with the dots i would assume is gathered from the sector timings - the know that it takes say, 30 seconds for a car to get through that sector, so as it starts the sector, the computer assumes where the car is, and the position gets specifically updated every time it crosses one of the timing beams.

Picking up altitude is really pointless in this exercise isnt it?
Old 17 Sep 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1409838)   #3
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sector markers - I'm guessing an infra-red beam, although not sure how that would tie in with the car's transponder. I don't see the point of "3D" data - They may need to know how far around the track the car is, but unless they accidentally put the wings on upside down then I guess they won't really need to know how far up the car is as well!
Old 17 Sep 2005, 10:40 (Ref:1409853)   #4
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
try this link from the Tag Heuer site nice piece of historical info along with details of what is currently used.

http://www.tagheuer.com/f1/timekeepi...tion/index.lbl
Old 17 Sep 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1409901)   #5
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Automobile Antics

Transponders are installed in the cars. They re-broadcast a unique to the car signal each time they pass a loop embedded in the pavement. The loops are located every 100m around the track as well as in the staging boxes on the starting grid. This allows the FIA officials to determine if anyone has `jumped the start' as well as the lap times and track position.
Old 17 Sep 2005, 13:05 (Ref:1409917)   #6
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the days of F1 Digital there used to be a fibre optic loop around the entire track (which is how we got onboard shots in the Monaco tunnel too) so the little dots on circuit maps were extremely accurate, now F1 Digital is gone I think the teams (like twig said) use clever computer tricks together with the sector times to achieve the same thing.
Old 17 Sep 2005, 22:39 (Ref:1410113)   #7
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Renault cunningly tie in their launch control to this system so that when the timing loop in the grid position activated when the lights went out the car launched?
Or was it just a rumour i heard at the time!?
Old 18 Sep 2005, 09:09 (Ref:1410248)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it was only suggested that this was possible. Obviously Renault's starts were still amazing after changes to LC were introduced. Nowadays they actually class a car that starts less than a reaction time* after the lights go out to have jumped the start! This was introduced to get around this.

*I forget the time they chose for this (something like 0.06s).
Old 18 Sep 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1410276)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think that was recently abolished and you can start bang on the lights now.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1410332)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd prefer that. If you are jammy and guess correctly then good luck to you!
Old 18 Sep 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1410821)   #11
j_hampton2000
Rookie

j_hampton2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
>think the teams (like twig said) use clever computer tricks together with the >sector times to achieve the same thing.

The teams will also use their real-time telemetry systems to determine where the cars are on the track. I THINK these telemetry systems are linked into a GPS for more accurate positioning, but do know that they can be linked to the timing beacons to send data.

The timing transponders can be either infra-red or radio and send a unique code for each car to the receivers which are either built into the track or mounted on the trackwall (usually at each of the 'sector' points).

I doubt there would be much use for any '3D' positioning data.

Jim.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 20:46 (Ref:1410839)   #12
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Is it not by a transponder that cuts the beams on the track
Old 19 Sep 2005, 19:03 (Ref:1411611)   #13
j_hampton2000
Rookie

j_hampton2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
>Is it not by a transponder that cuts the beams on the track
Eh? How else do you think it works?

Here's some more info on transponders; http://www.amb-it.com/modules/?name=...=39&systemID=8

...you'll see the base system can have a GPS interface.

Jim
Old 19 Sep 2005, 21:14 (Ref:1411733)   #14
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_hampton2000
>Is it not by a transponder that cuts the beams on the track Eh? How else do you think it works?
It works by Radio Frequency. The antennae are embedded in the track and broadcast a signal which is picked up by the transponder and the frequency or other characteristcs are altered uniquely by each car.

This signal is rebroadcast back to the embedded antennae, sensed and relayed back to the computers at Race Control. There it is decoded and displayed on the monitor. All of this transpires within 0.0001 second or less.

IR beams are used in `beacons' for `in car' lap counters and timing.