Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 15 Jan 2010, 10:15 (Ref:2613745)   #526
tin-top fan
Rookie

England
tin-top fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe they are basing it on this http://www.colinturkington.com/news.asp?article=51 ? As turkington was the number 1 non-works BMW driver in the world last year?
Old 15 Jan 2010, 10:15 (Ref:2613746)   #527
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
BTCC: IF Motorsport to enter Abarth
Scottish sportscar squad IF Motorsport are going to enter a pair of NGTC specification Abarth Grande Puntos in the British Touring Car Championship 2010.
"The Abarth is the most likley car that we'll run, but we are still taking to two other manufacturers," team boss Bryce Wilson said to Autosport.
Question marks should be raised towards the statement of the team to run a NGTC specification car as those rules have not been finalised yet and will not come in to effect until 2011.
http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=4324

It's January and they want to take part with new cars but still not decided which manufacturer? The Abarth is to small to be allowed in NGTC. Sorry but these plans are not very convincing.
Old 15 Jan 2010, 10:38 (Ref:2613749)   #528
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin-top fan View Post
Maybe they are basing it on this http://www.colinturkington.com/news.asp?article=51 ? As turkington was the number 1 non-works BMW driver in the world last year?

Possibly, but that list naturally varies very much from year to year. Last year eg Engstelr won it with Göranson 2nd.

Here are btw the full results from 2009
http://www.dtc-net.dk/default.asp?id...031&pagetype=1
Old 15 Jan 2010, 11:17 (Ref:2613768)   #529
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin-top fan View Post
I guess they mean that no other BMW team won a title in 2009, not even in STCC or DTC and no BMW won ETC Cup and the WTCC Indie trophy. The only Super 2000 BMW that won a title in 2009 as I can remember ATM, is Mikko Tiainen in Finland (but that's not a worthy S2000 series anymore ).

About the FIAT, another of those "I believe it when I see it"-thing. But I've always wondered about the possibilities of using S2000 rally cars (like the FIAT, Skoda Fabia etc.) and build a FWD touring car version of them. The engine work is done and many of the chassi components could be used, as well as the overall bodywork/aerodynamics. Engines is by far one of the most expensive stuff when building and developing a S2000 car. Some standardized rules from FIA about length and width for both racing and rally regulations of Super 2000 would open up for more exciting cars. ATM I think most of them are too small (Pug 207, Proton etc.) to fit in without dispensations. Who wouldn't like to see e.g. a FWD Skoda Fabia in BTCC with a slightly adjusted aero kit to suit racing? It shouldn't be a problem since engines etc. are already developed and just need some adjustments for track racing.
Old 15 Jan 2010, 17:04 (Ref:2613850)   #530
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=4324

It's January and they want to take part with new cars but still not decided which manufacturer? The Abarth is to small to be allowed in NGTC. Sorry but these plans are not very convincing.
It does seem a bit late to still be deciding, but hopefully you're wrong about the Abarth not being allowed and they can get on the grid.
The more drivers, teams and makes of car the better - I'm really looking forward to BTCC 2010, can't wait
Old 15 Jan 2010, 17:55 (Ref:2613872)   #531
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
but hopefully you're wrong about the Abarth not being allowed and they can get on the grid.
Hopefully NOT because I prefer bigger cars (like 2011 Alfa Romeo Giulia)

Last edited by FIRE; 15 Jan 2010 at 18:02.
Old 15 Jan 2010, 17:57 (Ref:2613873)   #532
kezza7
Racer

England
Retford
kezza7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan Gow's view (from btcc.net forums)
Quote:
Nobody, from any team, has contacted TOCA and enquired about entering a Fiat Punto (of any model) in the BTCC - so I'm rather bemused to be reading about such a 'project'.

However let me just clarify something; the car would certainly not be eligible - under either the current or the new BTCC (NGTC) regulations - as it doesn't even come close to meeting the minimum dimensions. It's simply not 'grande' enough.......
Old 15 Jan 2010, 18:09 (Ref:2613877)   #533
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
From the NGTC rules:
Quote:
• Increased minimum length of 4.4m Fiat: 3,546 mm
• Standardised width of 1875mm Fiat: 1,627 mm
• 2, 3, 4 or 5 door – providing they share the same basic silhouette and dimensions as the 4/5 door saloon version Fiat: Hatchback, there's no saloon
Old 15 Jan 2010, 19:31 (Ref:2613920)   #534
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's a spanner in the works then. Unless there is something we (and Mr Gow) are seriously missing from this. Seems strange that the team would come out to Autosport and talk about this if the car is way under minimum sizes..
Old 15 Jan 2010, 20:05 (Ref:2613939)   #535
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Suprised to hear about this and a little disappointed it already seems a no-go. I got excited reading this story, another new car to the grid and a new brand of car too? Excellent! Hopefully something happens though that means we may yet see this car on the grid, but I'm not confident. Surely not another case of Team 48?
Old 15 Jan 2010, 20:31 (Ref:2613949)   #536
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They'd be better using a Bravo with some bigger bumpers and arches to pad it out about. It's 4.34m long and 1.90mm wide.
Old 15 Jan 2010, 20:44 (Ref:2613956)   #537
V8thunderfan
Rookie

Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
V8thunderfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
Suprised to hear about this and a little disappointed it already seems a no-go. I got excited reading this story, another new car to the grid and a new brand of car too? Excellent! Hopefully something happens though that means we may yet see this car on the grid, but I'm not confident. Surely not another case of Team 48?
Ahh Team 48 .. kept us guessing and talking all season long. I hope IF have done their home work before announcing the Punto. I can't see it being up to the job surely you could pick up a 156 for a fraction the money. Build something for 2011 insted.
Old 15 Jan 2010, 21:25 (Ref:2613975)   #538
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its a real pity that the Punto wouldn't be allowed, I'm all for marque variety in the series and it would be brilliant to have FIAT there along with Shaun in the VW.
Old 15 Jan 2010, 21:53 (Ref:2613983)   #539
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
That's a spanner in the works then. Unless there is something we (and Mr Gow) are seriously missing from this. Seems strange that the team would come out to Autosport and talk about this if the car is way under minimum sizes..
strange, but I've seen it before and even been part of it before.

A while back, I was involved in ' a project' and the team were developing a apparently. I got the rule book for number placement, only to find out the car wasn't eligable.....

...the team hadn't realised....
Old 15 Jan 2010, 22:10 (Ref:2613989)   #540
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
They'd be better using a Bravo with some bigger bumpers and arches to pad it out about. It's 4.34m long and 1.90mm wide.
They'll have to do it like the 206 WRC's huge bumpers. Actually, more than that. Something like this.
Old 15 Jan 2010, 22:37 (Ref:2614005)   #541
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That won't pass the ride height test, surely?
Old 15 Jan 2010, 22:37 (Ref:2614006)   #542
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Actually, more than that. Something like this.
Sorry, not elegible...........no roll cage
Old 15 Jan 2010, 23:18 (Ref:2614031)   #543
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
that wont be allowed, driver wont be able to tap the guy in front round by nudging the corner...

...although I suppose you could scoop them out of the way. Just need a big mechanical brush to then deposit on the side of the track
Old 18 Jan 2010, 14:38 (Ref:2615141)   #544
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
So the Autosport show didn't really spring any surprises as far as the BTCC goes, still not a lot in the way of confirmed entries really are there?
Old 18 Jan 2010, 15:42 (Ref:2615163)   #545
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Fiat: Hatchback, there's no saloon
Saloon version of Grande Punto is called Linea.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 17:57 (Ref:2615220)   #546
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I don't really mind the lack of works teams as long as there are high quality privateers.

If all or most of the teams were as professional as RML or WSR then I would have no qualm with the "quality of the field".
Old 18 Jan 2010, 19:10 (Ref:2615254)   #547
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you think of the Super Touring days as Williams vs WSR vs MSD vs RML vs Triple 8 etc rather than Vauxhall vs Ford vs Renault etc, then todays teams are just as professional.

And the Linea meets the length, and just needs widening a tad to be legal.

From Wikipedia:
Length 4,560 mm (179.5 in)
Width 1,730 mm (68.1 in)
Old 18 Jan 2010, 19:21 (Ref:2615262)   #548
kezza7
Racer

England
Retford
kezza7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker View Post
Saloon version of Grande Punto is called Linea.
But a car not sold in the country it competes in would be odd.

Remember that the Punto was one of several they were looking at, it was just at the time the most likely.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 19:37 (Ref:2615271)   #549
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza7 View Post
But a car not sold in the country it competes in would be odd.

Remember that the Punto was one of several they were looking at, it was just at the time the most likely.
only odd if its a works entry. Doesnt matter to a team if the car is available or not. - although would be a little strange given its so bland .

My first evidence, I'll submit the Honda Integra/Acura RSX which Team Dyanamics built (off of Arena Civic hidden bits IIRC)..even though never sold officially.

Since then with the new 2011 rules, Rules may have changed though saying it has to be available in certain markets.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 19:37 (Ref:2615272)   #550
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
If you think of the Super Touring days as Williams vs WSR vs MSD vs RML vs Triple 8 etc rather than Vauxhall vs Ford vs Renault etc, then todays teams are just as professional.

And the Linea meets the length, and just needs widening a tad to be legal.

From Wikipedia:
Length 4,560 mm (179.5 in)
Width 1,730 mm (68.1 in)
btw - not sure those are locked in stone yet