Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 18 Dec 2006, 17:06 (Ref:1793778)   #1
cornholio
Rookie

cornholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you ID this car???

Last edited by cornholio; 18 Dec 2006 at 17:11.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 23:01 (Ref:1794125)   #2
cornholio
Rookie

cornholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It may have run in the Gordon Bennett Cup, which was held from 1900-1905.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 09:09 (Ref:1794368)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome cornholio; one for the main forum, I think.

I'm sure that I have seen this one in photos before; will look around!

Last edited by John Turner; 22 Dec 2006 at 10:26.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 09:21 (Ref:1794388)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm fairly certain that this is the Napier built for the 1904 Gordon Bennett race. Later (1907) the engine was enlarged from 15.1 litres, to over 20 litres, became known as 'Samson' and raced at Brooklands. (Source:- 'Racing Cars and Record Breakers - 1898-1921' by Nicholson, published by Batsford)
Old 19 Dec 2006, 21:41 (Ref:1795169)   #5
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, you're right there John (apart from the fact that the book you cited is published by Blandford, not Batsford!)

There's a rather splendid action drawing of SF Edge driving this car on a record run at Brooklands in 1907 on the Illustrated London News website:

http://www.ilnpictures.co.uk/files/i...659_115466.jpg

Bob Marley
Old 19 Dec 2006, 22:53 (Ref:1795256)   #6
bwatt
Rookie

bwatt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since the photograph is obviously recent, be aware that this is actually a replica, built in Australia. The engine is, I believe, the main original part. It's still a splendid beast; I worked out that there must be about 650 feet of copper tube in that radiator.

RWB only; when it went to France on an event about five years ago, the driver said "It'll do about 110 mph, but you have to be looking a long way ahead at that speed".
Old 20 Dec 2006, 13:27 (Ref:1795752)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yep, Vitesse, Blandford; should have put my specs. on! Great pic, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwatt
RWB only; when it went to France on an event about five years ago, the driver said "It'll do about 110 mph, but you have to be looking a long way ahead at that speed".

These really early racers have a fascination all of their own. Magnificent machines with heroes for drivers (even though they knew no better, then!). We should discuss them more often!
Old 24 Dec 2006, 15:37 (Ref:1798776)   #8
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are there now 2 of these cars, as I am sure I saw one race at Mallory Park
3 or 4 years ago. Has the one I saw been sold to Australia?
Old 24 Dec 2006, 19:07 (Ref:1798835)   #9
bwatt
Rookie

bwatt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs
Are there now 2 of these cars, as I am sure I saw one race at Mallory Park
3 or 4 years ago. Has the one I saw been sold to Australia?
There is only one; it was built in Australia in the late seventies, and appeared in this country in 1981, IIRC. Competed at VSCC Colerne. The last time I saw it was in September 2001, when it went to France with the VSCC Light Car section.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 10:49 (Ref:1801062)   #10
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also remember it's competing at VSCC Prescott. Wheelspin out of Pardon produced enough smoke to obscure the whole incline from Pardon down to Orchard.