Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 25 May 2005, 11:23 (Ref:1309734)   #1
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport has the details of the calendar that A1GP has sent off to the FIA for approval. 12 races, 3 in Europe, Aussie race at Eastern Creek, 2 US races (including Laguna Seca!), and quite a few races in the Mid East/Asia ending in China.
Old 25 May 2005, 11:32 (Ref:1309741)   #2
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
Autosport has the details of the calendar that A1GP has sent off to the FIA for approval. 12 races, 3 in Europe, Aussie race at Eastern Creek, 2 US races (including Laguna Seca!), and quite a few races in the Mid East/Asia ending in China.
Any other sites that have the details of the calendar that A1GP has sent off to the FIA
Old 25 May 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1309743)   #3
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Pitpass

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=24585
Old 25 May 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1309772)   #4
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Provisional calendar from that pitpass link:

25th September 2005 - Brands Hatch, UK
9th October 2005 - Eurospeedway GP, Germany
23rd October 2005 - Estoril, Portugal
6th November 2005 - Eastern Creek, Australia
20th November 2005 - Sepang International, Malaysia
11th December 2005 - Dubai Autodrome, United Arab Emirates
15th January 2006 - TBC, Indonesia or Singapore (both countries competing for round)
29th January 2006 - Durban (street race) or Cape Town (Killarney circuit), South Africa
12th February 2006 - Parque Fundidora Monterrey, Mexico
26th February 2006 - San Antonio, Texas (street race), USA
12th March 2006 - Laguna Seca, California, USA
26th March 2006 - Beijing Goldenport (TBC), China

Beijing is subject to FIA approval or alternative circuit being selected by Chinese government.

Looks an interesting calendar, a good mix of new and old tracks, with a few classic circuits thrown in. Interesting they are opting for a street race in Texas - Champ Car has shown bringing the racing into the cities guarantees a good crowd, so hopefully it will work for A1.
Old 25 May 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1309826)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excellent calendar.

I'm looking forward to this immensely.
Old 25 May 2005, 12:58 (Ref:1309835)   #6
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed, excellent. Im just trying to decide which round im looking forward most to! Sepang, Laguna Seca, Brands Hatch and Estoril are going to rock!
Old 25 May 2005, 16:14 (Ref:1310011)   #7
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.h...25155233.shtml
Old 25 May 2005, 16:16 (Ref:1310013)   #8
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1 GP Calendar

A1GP has revealed the calendar for the inaugural season.

So, whaddaya think?

Personally, i think it looks good - Brands and Laguna Seca are sure winners, and Eurospeedway, Estoril, Eastern Creek, Sepang, Dubai, Fundidora and Goldenport are good tracks too. I must say, a race in Indonesia/Singapore, both countries who as per now doesnt have one decent racetrack, doesnt really float my boat. The Southafrican GP is a good idea, but why not use either Kyalami or Phakisa? And the San Antonio track i never heard about, and cant seem to find any maps of it anywhere. And why no track in South America - thats the only continent they're missing?

It does surprise me a great lot too, that neither Bahrain, Qatar nor Turkey is on the calendar - both Bahrain and Qatar were intended to be.
Old 25 May 2005, 21:32 (Ref:1310226)   #9
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...Whoa, a race in Texas, and not too far away at that. Awesome.

I might consider going if I can get away that weekend and the tickets are cheap enough. Might bring some others along as well if I can find anyone that's interested. It'll be a good way to experience an international racing series.
Old 25 May 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1310236)   #10
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder
Provisional calendar from that pitpass link:

26th February 2006 - San Antonio, Texas (street race), USA
That's bloody amazing, I might be able to go to this, assuming it remains on the calendar when it becomes final.

Only about a 3 hour drive from here to San Antonio, so I am definitely considering driving out there to watch.
Old 25 May 2005, 21:43 (Ref:1310238)   #11
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looks a great calender
im really looking forward to this !
Old 25 May 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1310271)   #12
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming_Wuzzle
That's bloody amazing, I might be able to go to this, assuming it remains on the calendar when it becomes final.

Only about a 3 hour drive from here to San Antonio, so I am definitely considering driving out there to watch.
Disregard the above post, threads were merged.
Old 26 May 2005, 07:55 (Ref:1310459)   #13
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't wait. I think it will become a huge annual thing. There are more than likely going to be more countries aiming to be involved as well, if it turns out to be a success. Does anyone think it could run on the card with F1 someday, or is the Shiek focused on having it in F1's off-season annually?
Old 26 May 2005, 08:07 (Ref:1310467)   #14
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I think the series will stay as it is Belly, what I mean by that is I think it will race as planned during the F1 off season. If A1 GP were to run during the regular motorsport season it woudnt go unnoticed but it certainly woudnt attract the attention it is going to attract by running in the off season like it is this year. IMO.

That said, in a few years time when and if the series has grown and is still around it isnt out of the question for it to run during the regular motorsport season. First though it needs to grow and get some real momentum behind it and get a real fan base. My hope though is that one day the series may well run during the traditional motorsport season.
Old 26 May 2005, 08:12 (Ref:1310470)   #15
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
San Antonio had a street race for sportscars (IMSA?) a few years back. Will they use the same layout?
Old 26 May 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1310638)   #16
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
The decision to possibly run at Killarney in Cape Town is quite interesting. From what I last saw this track is not very up to date (they might have changed it a bit)

http://www.aerialphoto.co.za/html/killarney.htm <-- Nice scenery though..

The street race in Durban could be interesting...

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 26 May 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1310655)   #17
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Ah sorry about the double post.. but reading http://www.autoworld.co.za/autonews/viewart.asp?id=2914 (down near the bottom) they dont have the Capetown venue listed but say the Durban venue is provisional on circuit approval so I think the Capetown venue might be a backup incase the street circuit is not aproved...

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 27 May 2005, 03:10 (Ref:1311239)   #18
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have the Sepang race clashing with the Macau F3 Grand Prix... that's no good... I hope the FIA don't approve this date. (Just the date not the venue, Sepang is a very good circuit.)

I heard that Bahrain (and Shanghai) has a contract with Bernie saying they can't have any major international single seater race at their circuits except F1. That's why A1 don't go there.
Old 27 May 2005, 07:17 (Ref:1311325)   #19
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa
They have the Sepang race clashing with the Macau F3 Grand Prix... that's no good... I hope the FIA don't approve this date. (Just the date not the venue, Sepang is a very good circuit.)

I heard that Bahrain (and Shanghai) has a contract with Bernie saying they can't have any major international single seater race at their circuits except F1. That's why A1 don't go there.
Would be interesting to see 'major' single seater race defined in a court of law? Is Bernie seriously afraid of competition? Why build a multi-million £ facilitiy to be used only once a year? This maybe explains why there were 3 mid east races on the original(undated)schedule but now only one. I thought maybe the Sheiks had fallen out.
Old 27 May 2005, 08:36 (Ref:1311376)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bernie is actually supporting A1 - he sees it as a good way to keep interest in racing through the winter.

The reason for there only being one middle eastern race is the higher than anticipated interest from around the world - and the fact that Qatar, Bahrain and Dubai are geographically close.
Old 27 May 2005, 08:59 (Ref:1311387)   #21
ausracefan
Rookie

Australia
Frankston
ausracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_royksopp
A1GP has revealed the calendar for the inaugural season.

So, whaddaya think?

Personally, i think it looks good - Brands and Laguna Seca are sure winners, and Eurospeedway, Estoril, Eastern Creek, Sepang, Dubai, Fundidora and Goldenport are good tracks too. I must say, a race in Indonesia/Singapore, both countries who as per now doesnt have one decent racetrack, doesnt really float my boat. The Southafrican GP is a good idea, but why not use either Kyalami or Phakisa? And the San Antonio track i never heard about, and cant seem to find any maps of it anywhere. And why no track in South America - thats the only continent they're missing?

It does surprise me a great lot too, that neither Bahrain, Qatar nor Turkey is on the calendar - both Bahrain and Qatar were intended to be.
Im liking the look of this. My guess the Singapore or Indonesia rounds will be on street tracks, as long as there quick with plenty of overtaking spots ill be fine with them, same goes for San Antonio. Nice tracks they have picked to. I especially like Laguna Seca being on there, love to see these things go down the corkscrew. I would prefer like you the RSA GP at Kyalami, tho i don like the layout of Killarney.
Cant wait for Brands
Old 14 Jun 2005, 08:00 (Ref:1328038)   #22
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
My A1GP Race Calendar

My A1GP Race Calendar would start with round 1 on the 2nd of October 2005 and end with Round 12 on March 12

Oct 2=Round 1
Oct 23=Round 2
Nov 6=Round 3
Nov 20=Round 4
Dec 4=Round 5
Dec 18=Round 6
Jan 1=Round 7
Jan 15=Round 8
Jan 29=Round 9
Feb 12=Round 10
Feb 26=Round 11
Mar 12=Round 12
Old 14 Jun 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1328191)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

mabs - why can you never accept any racing series the way it is, without coming up with fantasy calendars, race formats etc etc, which usually look like change for the sake of change!
Old 17 Jun 2005, 23:44 (Ref:1331913)   #24
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With 2 American races on the schedule, I would think that an announcement on the American team cannot be to far behind.

At least I hope!

Danica Patrick
Old 18 Jun 2005, 18:54 (Ref:1332427)   #25
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
mabs - why can you never accept any racing series the way it is, without coming up with fantasy calendars, race formats etc etc, which usually look like change for the sake of change!
I do the same.

No problem with that.