Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Feb 2010, 08:51 (Ref:2623494)   #1
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Sato: What Am I Missing?

As the years go by, more and more people seem to regard Takuma Sato as a great talent, shamefully wasting away on the sidelines.

I think Taku is a great guy, but what exactly has he done to be regarded so highly? Is it all because he passed Alonso's hobbled Renault in his Super Aguri?
Old 1 Feb 2010, 10:37 (Ref:2623558)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Not sure I'd regard him as one of the great lost talents - but I'd like to see him in F1. Why? Well - he adds an extra random element into the mix, you never really know what you're going to get with him - speed or destruction. You also get the impression that he enjoys himself when he's out there and always gives it everything. I suppose character too - some of the drivers are instantly forgettable and have no obvious personality, Taku is not in that category I can't help but want him to do well.
Old 1 Feb 2010, 10:41 (Ref:2623561)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh I think you're right - I think it's also the fact everyone watched him grow from just another crasher to a real fighter who'd slowly matured.

Selby
Old 1 Feb 2010, 11:27 (Ref:2623584)   #4
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I'd say he is the most westernised of all the Japanese drivers and definitely has the warmest, most outgoing personality. He certainly drove with his heart on his sleeve, and is very popular not just in Japan but also internationally. He remains the only driver in F3 terms to have won a national Championship, the Marlboro Masters at Zandvoort and the Macau F3 Grand Prix all in the same year.
Old 1 Feb 2010, 12:18 (Ref:2623617)   #5
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sato's just fun to watch! He's aggressive and fearless. Any race he's in you can be pretty confident he'll pull of a couple of good overtakes or try to pull off a couple of good overtakes and end up with a couple of cars in the wall.
Old 1 Feb 2010, 12:31 (Ref:2623626)   #6
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Shame on you for missing my erm...deliberate mistake. Alonso was of course driving a McLaren when Sato passed him.
Old 1 Feb 2010, 12:36 (Ref:2623628)   #7
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Shame on you for missing my erm...deliberate mistake. Alonso was of course driving a McLaren when Sato passed him.
This was 2007! We know that McLaren was part Ferrari, it could easilly have been part Renault as well!
Old 1 Feb 2010, 14:07 (Ref:2623688)   #8
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Sato does have a high entertainment value - who can forget that glorious move on Alonso?

One of the greatest talents without a drive? I'm unsure. I doubt it will be long before a plethora of Davidson fans tell you Sato was the inferior driver at Honda2. What we're missing - or are going to miss - is not Sato, or even Davidson, but Heidfeld.
Old 1 Feb 2010, 15:04 (Ref:2623729)   #9
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As the years go by, more and more people seem to regard Takuma Sato as a great talent, shamefully wasting away on the sidelines.

I think Taku is a great guy, but what exactly has he done to be regarded so highly? Is it all because he passed Alonso's hobbled Renault in his Super Aguri?
If by hobbled Renault, you mean Constructors champion McLaren Mercedes, then yes, spot on. And he did it in a year old Honda.
Old 1 Feb 2010, 15:49 (Ref:2623747)   #10
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, Davidson was I believe beating Sato in that race which takes some of the gloss off, the SA was clearly a decent car that weekend.
Old 1 Feb 2010, 16:09 (Ref:2623757)   #11
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taprobane View Post
So, Davidson was I believe beating Sato in that race which takes some of the gloss off, the SA was clearly a decent car that weekend.
Of course it was. But Hamilton won in the other McMerc, so it was still a brilliant pass.
Old 1 Feb 2010, 16:13 (Ref:2623758)   #12
Senninha24
Rookie

United States
London, UK
Senninha24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Basically what has been said above...

Great wasted talent? Not completely...

But he adds entertainment value, is a great personality, really a pleasure to watch because you know he's racing his heart out...I really have been missing him and don't understand why he (at least appears) to be going for all (= F1) or nothing (I'm sure he can find some drives in some decent series' out there). He hasn't been in F1 since 07, but likewise hasn't been in any decent series' either. He could tear up SuperGT, could do LMS or Asian LMS, could do IndyCar I'm sure if he made the right calls.

As for missing Heidfeld...never liked him, never will. Boring, dull, never proved he's anything more than B at best (Kubica was unlucky to win only one race, Heidfeld couldn't get one at all).
Old 1 Feb 2010, 16:22 (Ref:2623762)   #13
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
If by hobbled Renault, you mean Constructors champion McLaren Mercedes, then yes, spot on. And he did it in a year old Honda.
Alonso's McLaren was in far from tip-top shape at that stage of the race and the SA was running pretty well in the hands of both Taku and Ant.

We all love a good David v Goliath story, but the truth isn't so romantic.

It was a great moment, but I prefer to base my opinion of Takuma Sato on the whole of his F1 career, which was average at best.
Old 1 Feb 2010, 16:28 (Ref:2623770)   #14
kezza7
Racer

England
Retford
kezza7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Alonso's McLaren was in far from tip-top shape at that stage of the race and the SA was running pretty well in the hands of both Taku and Ant.

We all love a good David v Goliath story, but the truth isn't so romantic.

It was a great moment, but I prefer to base my opinion of Takuma Sato on the whole of his F1 career, which was average at best.
But can you beat Sato for entertainment value?? He just gives all, he isnt the best driver in the world, but you can see he puts in 110%, and it shows
Old 1 Feb 2010, 16:42 (Ref:2623788)   #15
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People likes to root for the underdog, especially someone with heart and passion like Taku
Old 1 Feb 2010, 16:50 (Ref:2623795)   #16
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senninha24 View Post

As for missing Heidfeld...never liked him, never will. Boring, dull, never proved he's anything more than B at best (Kubica was unlucky to win only one race, Heidfeld couldn't get one at all).
Heidfeld could have won the race Kubica took - and the result came down to team tactics which might just have easily have gone the other way...
Old 1 Feb 2010, 17:29 (Ref:2623830)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Sato was never going to get a seat, simply because the price of carbonfibre has gone through the roof.
Old 1 Feb 2010, 17:37 (Ref:2623838)   #18
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i usually hate doing this, but if there is any seat out there that should have gone to a different driver its Trulli's seat at Lotus and i was totally hoping that it would have gone to Sato.

incidentally, imo, the last impressive drive i saw from Trulli came in the 2004 Monaco GP and ironically the thing i remember most about that race was Sato's amazing start correcting his errors in quali and subsequent massive engine blow up/accident a few laps later (really the story of his whole career played out in that one weekend)

he was always so unfortunate and maybe im clouded by memories of glorious moves that were too few and far between for another team to take a chance on him, but as a fan, he was a great personality and a very genuine person and has done over his whole career enough to deserve another shot.
Old 1 Feb 2010, 17:47 (Ref:2623845)   #19
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
People likes to root for the underdog, especially someone with heart and passion like Taku
That's very true.
Old 1 Feb 2010, 19:44 (Ref:2623940)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He always gave his all and had some brilliant moments. People like excitement.
Old 1 Feb 2010, 20:05 (Ref:2623954)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I particularly liked this exciting moment, and Schumacher probably wishing that Takuma would drive with his 'brain' once in a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvOUC_LOt3Y
Old 1 Feb 2010, 20:10 (Ref:2623959)   #22
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
I don't think I've learned anything. I already knew he was likeable, exciting and a hard charger. The only posts in support of his ability involve that pass on Alonso and some comments about his F3 success. Sorry guys, I'm not convinced he's worthy of a return.
Old 1 Feb 2010, 20:22 (Ref:2623970)   #23
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i dont think anyone is advocating that he be given a top seat, but are there really no seats that Sato is more deserving of than the currently assigned driver?

obviously he had his shot and room must be made for others to get a similar shot but still, not even one seat he would be a good fit for.
Old 1 Feb 2010, 20:32 (Ref:2623985)   #24
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Quote:
I don't think I've learned anything. I already knew he was likeable, exciting and a hard charger
Well that's your answer then. I don't think people love Sato because he is really good, we like him because he has flair and intrigue! Whether it be knocking someone off the road, being last of the late brakers and either a) pulling off a good pass or b) going into the barriers, he is just good old fashioned fun to watch!

Think of him as Senna if he was less talented. You'd be left with someone brave and determined who was always willing to try the impossible. He just wouldn't win many races. You'd be left with Sato.
Old 1 Feb 2010, 20:37 (Ref:2623988)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
USF1 should hire Sato. Let the carnage begin!