Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 20 Nov 2006, 23:10 (Ref:1771052)   #1
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alarm code grabbers

Either I forgot to lock two out of three cars on Friday night and so did the chap who lives opposite or there's some toerag around here who's got one!
Nothing stolen, nothing damaged but I wish he'd shut the door- had to jump start the Previa with the Quantum on Saturday morning!!

Anyone else fallen victim to one of these devices? Anyone know a way round the problem?
Old 22 Nov 2006, 21:52 (Ref:1772585)   #2
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never heard of them, what do they do?
Old 22 Nov 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1772590)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Obviously some sort of device that can read an immboliser code I guess and unlock the car. Didn't know this was possible either, it's a bit scary!
Old 23 Nov 2006, 09:03 (Ref:1772888)   #4
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Obviously some sort of device that can read an immboliser code I guess and unlock the car. Didn't know this was possible either, it's a bit scary!
I'd heard about such things but I thought they were a myth until
Saturday!
The device works by picking up the signal from your remote when you lock your car. Whoever it was wqasn't interested in little things- my phone charger, cd/tape adaptor. lighters socket splitter etc were all out of the glovebox but left on the seat so I guess he was looking for sat nav etc- there's cradles on the dash of both the cars for an Origin B2 but the device isn't kept in the car. Of the three 1/2 cars on the driveway only the two with remote locking were touched.

https://www.abi.org.uk/Newsreleases/...e.asp?nrid=788
Old 23 Nov 2006, 11:54 (Ref:1773093)   #5
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
But only possible with older types of system. Newer ones use a two-stage process with unique keys every time they are used. Only the registered keys "know" what code to generate.

See here:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/security/keys.html

and here (bottom of the page):

http://www.caraudioalarms.com/alarmsystems.htm

Regards

Jim
Old 23 Nov 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1773189)   #6
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Interesting reading jim, thanks. I assume mine don't have anti-grabber systems. (a 2002 Toyota and a Quantum with an Autowatch system installed two years ago)
No attempt was made to actually start the cars so I guess that's not what he (or she ) was after.
Old 26 Nov 2006, 08:25 (Ref:1775088)   #7
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Lucky they didn't use a low tech device like a brick through the window.
Old 26 Nov 2006, 10:20 (Ref:1775142)   #8
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
Lucky they didn't use a low tech device like a brick through the window.
I have to say I was quite relieved when I couldn't find any evidence of forced entry!
Old 26 Nov 2006, 11:24 (Ref:1775195)   #9
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For many years when I had a convertible car, I always left the doors unlocked. Evidence once or twice that the doors had been opened but never got the hood slashed.

Regards

Jim