Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 18 May 2015, 09:13 (Ref:3538857)   #51
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The Lancia LC2, always the underdog, only an occasional winner
Old 18 May 2015, 09:21 (Ref:3538864)   #52
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rightly there's lots of love for the Toyotas in the thread. I just hope that in a few years we don't have to add the TS040 to the list. But it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 18 May 2015, 10:04 (Ref:3538878)   #53
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Rightly there's lots of love for the Toyotas in the thread. I just hope that in a few years we don't have to add the TS040 to the list. But it wouldn't surprise me.
I suspect everyone would cheer long and hard for a Toyota win, but I keep coming back to this old article from Autosport when I think about them. Great squad, great approach, but historically lacking a certain something when they come up against outfits that really really want to win.
Old 18 May 2015, 10:06 (Ref:3538879)   #54
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
I'd be lying if didn't think it a crying shame that the TS020 never won Le Mans so that's what my choice would be.

There's always going to be the feeling that had Toyota stuck with it for one more year then surely they would have had what was at the time their best shot at winning, even against the formidable R8.
Old 18 May 2015, 10:27 (Ref:3538887)   #55
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
The TS020 gets another vote for best car to never win with the Panoz LMP1 a close second.
The Panoz for me falls more into the category of the car I would most like to win that didnt. I am not convinced it is the best car not to win?
Old 18 May 2015, 10:33 (Ref:3538891)   #56
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Peugeot 908 (minus the HDi FAP moniker...you know...the 2011 one) deserves a mention. Not only was the thing gorgeous, not only did it race in the right colours, not only was it the only genuinely loud diesel racer, but it played its part in the greatest race of the modern era. It's such a shame we didn't see more from that car - who knows what complexion they would have added to the 2012 race.
Old 18 May 2015, 10:33 (Ref:3538892)   #57
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Thinking more on the subject and using the fact that technology is always progressing then I guess the best car never to win Le Mans would be last years Toyota LMP1.

By the middle of June that accolade will fall to either this years R18 or the 919.
Old 18 May 2015, 10:46 (Ref:3538898)   #58
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Dome S101-judd
Old 18 May 2015, 10:48 (Ref:3538901)   #59
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Toyota TS020 and different variations of Mercedes CLK.
Old 18 May 2015, 10:56 (Ref:3538903)   #60
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Slightly off-topic. Was looking for pictures of Lancias at Le Mans - as you do on a day off.

Stumbled across this - https://www.flickr.com/photos/kartingnord/albums

I think it might have been linked to before on here but it has to be one of the all-time great treasure troves of images. Some incredible stuff in there and still being updated.
Old 18 May 2015, 18:27 (Ref:3539056)   #61
merak1974
Racer

Norway
Oslo
merak1974 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
It was never allowed to race at Le Mans, so it is kinda "iffy" if it counts.

I think the Maserati MC12 was eventually allowed to take part, but the teams running MC12s were by then solely focused on the FIA GT1 championship.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/05/r...ng-to-le-mans/
Old 18 May 2015, 19:29 (Ref:3539079)   #62
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Jaguar XJR 14 , shame it never ran past qualifying
It kind of did sans roof five and six years later
Old 19 May 2015, 10:31 (Ref:3539254)   #63
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
And not too shabby either!!!
Old 20 May 2015, 11:51 (Ref:3539621)   #64
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
By best car I assume this means a car that was good enough to win but didn't? That would rule out the oft mentioned TS010 which wasn't as good as the Peugeot and the Lancia LC2 which struggled to complete a 1,000km race let alone 24 hours and which the Porsche was better than anyway.

The Suber Merc C11 would be my shout. It was the ultimate Group C car (pre those F1 ones with bodies) and was invincible against all the other cars.
Old 20 May 2015, 15:49 (Ref:3539687)   #65
Hans Stuck Fan
Rookie

Hans Stuck Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
the Lancia LC2 which struggled to complete a 1,000km race let alone 24 hours
1983 - 86 LC2 finishing % in all world championship events ~56%. Both finished the 1985 24 hour event.

1985 -1986 Jaguar XJR-6 finishing % in all world championship events ~ 37%
Old 20 May 2015, 15:51 (Ref:3539688)   #66
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The Suber Merc C11 would be my shout. It was the ultimate Group C car (pre those F1 ones with bodies) and was invincible against all the other cars.
On the other hand, I think this thread also means cars that tried to win. C11 never tried as Sauber-Mercedes skipped/boycotted LM in 1990 as it wasn't part of the Championship. Would have been a winner candidate for use, as it won all but one WSPC race that year.
Old 20 May 2015, 17:07 (Ref:3539707)   #67
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
By best car I assume this means a car that was good enough to win but didn't? That would rule out the oft mentioned TS010 which wasn't as good as the Peugeot....
Erm, not quite that clear cut, I'd suggest. The battle between Peugeot and Toyota in '92 and 93 was extremely good both years. Yes, Peugeot won out in both, but to suggest the TS010 wasn't good enough to win? No, I don't buy that. The fact is that it didn't, I accept, but it was far from outclassed by the Pug. (It also sounded massively better, which is probably why I'm biased.... ).
Old 21 May 2015, 08:21 (Ref:3539844)   #68
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The TS010 was my favorite Toyota prototype, even above the TS020. Both should have and could have won. But I pick the former as best (and sounding) car not to win. Close 2nd imo was the 2011 Peugeot 908.
Old 21 May 2015, 08:31 (Ref:3539847)   #69
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Slightly off-topic. Was looking for pictures of Lancias at Le Mans - as you do on a day off.

Stumbled across this - https://www.flickr.com/photos/kartingnord/albums

I think it might have been linked to before on here but it has to be one of the all-time great treasure troves of images. Some incredible stuff in there and still being updated.
An amazing collection of photos!
Thanks for posting!
Old 21 May 2015, 12:50 (Ref:3539905)   #70
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
An amazing collection of photos!
Thanks for posting!
I Second that, thanks for the link. Just spent the best part of 3 hours looking through these, many races i attended. Better get some work done now .....

Remember before health and safety when guys were allowed close to the action ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kartin...7648451271484/
Old 21 May 2015, 16:15 (Ref:3539953)   #71
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The 1995 WM-Peugeots were obviously never going to win, but in the modern era they might be the best cars that were never going to win, if that makes sense. Can you imagine two cars locking out the front row of the grid today with the expectation that they won't even make it past the first couple of hours?
Old 21 May 2015, 23:44 (Ref:3540050)   #72
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Well, if Nissan pulls something amazing out of their high hat, that just might happen...

(don't think it will, but it might.)
Old 22 May 2015, 16:54 (Ref:3540223)   #73
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wonder what Ladbrokes would offer on a Nissan 1-2-3?
Old 22 May 2015, 18:57 (Ref:3540250)   #74
Sabrejet
Rookie

Sabrejet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
On the other hand, I think this thread also means cars that tried to win. C11 never tried as Sauber-Mercedes skipped/boycotted LM in 1990 as it wasn't part of the Championship. Would have been a winner candidate for use, as it won all but one WSPC race that year.
...I think Graz was referring to the C11's participation in the 1991 24 Hours. A young lad called Schumacher did some of the pedalling...
Old 22 May 2015, 19:05 (Ref:3540251)   #75
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Triumph Tr7

Its that time of year again