Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Feb 2007, 23:15 (Ref:1841750)   #1
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Team Rankings come Melbourne

ok, so we've seen the Barcelona test times, with some teams apparently off pace, some teams doing the desperate grab for top of the timesheets on low fuel, but when the dust settles, who do you expect to be at the pointy end of the grid come Melbourne in March?

my rankings as follows:

1. Ferrari: they look quick, might not be as prepared as they would like, but Bahrain test should be enough to iron out any last minute glitches. The drivers are champing at the bit, and they look in very good shape for a first up win.

2. BMW: they dont look like they have massive amounts of pace, but they do look very well prepared, and understanding of how their car works. I expect them to be threatening for the podium.

3. Mclaren: their pace looks good, their mileage looks good, their drivers look good. I dont think they will quite be at ferrari pace on the longer runs, but they will be there and thereabouts.

4. Renault: the somewhat quiet achievers of winter testing. I just dont think they have the same edge about them that they had in previous seasons. Maybe that's just because of the hole Alonso has left... they will be solid but unspectacular.

5. Williams: contentious maybe, but they look prepared and eager to make amends after last year. Whether they improve much throughout the year is another thing, but they have pace, reliability is a big question mark.

6. Toyota: they've been mid-pack in testing, but i expect them to be reliable, which counts for something come the first race. but not that pacey...

7. Honda: they seem to be floundering a little. I hope for their sakes they're not, but i just get the feeling they wont come on song until quite a few races in... underprepared, and not much raw pace. Hopefully their livery will look good at least...

8. RBR: same as Honda, they look like they've rushed the car for the launch, and seem desperate for time. I just cant see them doing much until they catch up to understanding their car, which might not be for a while... Add poor reliability and.... well... hmmmm......

9. STR: it's the same as above obviously!

10. Super Aguri: i dont expect they will be particularly prepared, so lets hope they have some reliability and fortuitously glean a few places by making it to the finish.

11. Spyker: underprepared, underpaced. Reliability is their only hope...
Old 15 Feb 2007, 00:35 (Ref:1841786)   #2
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd agree with your rankings, but i feel the Bahrain tests will shake things up somewhat. Ive got a feeling guys like RBR and Honda might be having some issues with the tyres, and once the heat gets turned up, they'll be on the pace.
Old 15 Feb 2007, 04:49 (Ref:1841841)   #3
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think at least one of those guys will be at the top of the tree
Old 15 Feb 2007, 14:34 (Ref:1842193)   #4
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pretty good shout i'd say. i'd be tempted to swap Willy and Honda though.
Old 15 Feb 2007, 18:01 (Ref:1842370)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Autosport rank the teams as follows on testing pace using their magical fuel correction baloney:

1) BMW-Sauber
2) McLaren
3) Ferrari
4) Renault
5) Williams
6) Toyota
7) Red Bull
8) Honda

I'd be surprised to see BMW on top, whatever Autosport or Massa say, but they will be top three still I think. And as for Honda and Red Bull, what have we really seen of them?

Other than that, the top six looks feasible to me.
Old 15 Feb 2007, 19:21 (Ref:1842466)   #6
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It depends how you look at it though, I mean do Autosport really expect to see 6 cars ahead of the lead Renault after 58 laps of Albert Park?
Old 15 Feb 2007, 20:31 (Ref:1842521)   #7
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Autosport rank the teams as follows on testing pace using their magical fuel correction baloney:

1) BMW-Sauber
2) McLaren
3) Ferrari
4) Renault
5) Williams
6) Toyota
7) Red Bull
8) Honda

I'd be surprised to see BMW on top, whatever Autosport or Massa say, but they will be top three still I think. And as for Honda and Red Bull, what have we really seen of them?

Other than that, the top six looks feasible to me.
Where was that from? The print edition of the magazine?
Old 15 Feb 2007, 20:34 (Ref:1842528)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, print edition.
Old 16 Feb 2007, 07:12 (Ref:1842877)   #9
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would say:

1 - Ferrari - well not much to be said we all know the obvious.

2 - McLaren-Mercedes - bolstered by Alonso they seem to have the pace but will it last or will it be like in previous seasons so much promise goes begging and thats the only reason i have them in 2nd.

3 - Renault - obviously strong and quick but will a rookie and a b-grade driver get them anywhere near what Alonso did for them.

4 - BMW-Sauber - look good in testing but IMO will get 1 or 2 wins and a few podiums but not the WCC.

5 - RBR-Renault - so much promise on paper abit off in testing but with the experience and knowledge of MW, DC and Newey they will be there or thereabouts in Melbourne but very strong mid to late season.

6 - Williams-Toyota - well seem promising in testing same as last year when it went horrablly wrong, they will beat Toyota but not the big guns

7 - Honda - will be the same as every year look good but do nothing but get one or 2 podiums and maybe another surprise win.

8 - Toyota - we all know how crap they are same as previous years here.

9 - STR-Ferrari - will have the car but not the drivers, but IMO this team will be used as a test mule by Red Bull.

10 - Super Aguri-Honda - well Davidson anyway you can put Sato at the bottom with a half decent car Davidson will do alright.

11 - Spyker - might beat Sato but thats about it.
Old 17 Feb 2007, 08:53 (Ref:1843577)   #10
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm....

1. BMW - Rumours of them being fastest will be proved correct.
2. Ferrari - Massa will lead the charge from Raikkonen.
3. Red Bull - Will shock the field.
4. McLaren - will attempt to present themselves as a top team as usual.
5. Renault - strong consistent 7th and 8th sweep finishes, as they had in the team's Button/Trulli years.
6. Honda - Actually Button and barrichello are superb drivers and will support this bold Honda F1 effort very well.
7. Toyota - Quick, under-rated, car has very excellent aerodynamic detail.
8. Williams - Strong fundamentals as usual, sterling effort.
9. Super Aguri - Last year's Honda is strong.
10. Toro Rosso - much quicker, but lack of testing will hamper til race 3 when they will be fighting with Toyota and Williams.
11. Spyker, car is very well designed and looks superb, what a great passionate team with best livery and pride of traditional-style sports car maker, not like mass-market Porsche.
Old 17 Feb 2007, 17:10 (Ref:1843793)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it'd be a close one among the top runners.

Ferrari - Good on the long run, their gamble on a long wheelbase will probably be the single make-or-break difference between them and rivals.
Mclaren - Looks to have the pace, at least over short stints. Reliability is good too
BMW - Good on the long run and 20 lap pace, even if it's one-lap time isn't as quick as Mclaren.
Renault - Pace is lacking compared to the others, would be curious to see if they could make it by Melbourne. Good reliability, but Renault needs a good start to retain their championship.
Red Bull Racing - Much advanced and sorted out chassis and aero. See if it pays off on track.
Williams
Honda
Toyota
STR
Super Aguri
Spyker
Old 17 Feb 2007, 18:16 (Ref:1843824)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
I think it'd be a close one among the top runners.

Ferrari - Good on the long run, their gamble on a long wheelbase will probably be the single make-or-break difference between them and rivals.
Article on Ferrari wheelbase thing.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=38497

Maybe not so good around those tight corners at Monaco,where TGF had some difficulties.

Last edited by Marbot; 17 Feb 2007 at 18:20.
Old 17 Feb 2007, 19:04 (Ref:1843862)   #13
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
^ Regarding the long wheel base, that's exactly what I was thinking. Do we know exactly how much longer it is than last year's and what everyone else is using this year?

I suspect it will be either Ferrari/McLaren at the top with Renault and BMW fighting it out for the next step down. I think that after that Honda, Williams (who I think will be stronger than most suspect), Red Bull and maybe Toyota will be pretty close.
Old 17 Feb 2007, 20:38 (Ref:1843936)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Last time Ferrari fiddled around with a longer wheelbase, they had difficulties. The F2003GA really struggled in one lap qualifying.

It is strange Ferrari have gone so long. Despite the definite benefits, it can go horribly wrong!
Old 17 Feb 2007, 21:23 (Ref:1843970)   #15
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Ferrari and Maclaren will be pretty much on the same pace. In this case I think the drivers will make the diffeence.
I suspect BMW will be up as next best if the rumors are true.
Renault and Honda are off their usual pre season testing pace. I know that both are supposedly having tire issues. Honda has not realeased their final car for the seasons start as of yet. In fact they seem a little hush hush about whats really going on. JB and RB are speaking as though they have not seen the lap times as of late.
I then expect Toyota, Williams and Red Bull to be a good match behind the afore mentioned teams.
I expect that Super Aguri and STR will be close too. In fact I feel SA may surprise a few and mix it up with the Toyotas etc.
Spyker, well you know!
Old 17 Feb 2007, 23:14 (Ref:1844033)   #16
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Last time Ferrari fiddled around with a longer wheelbase, they had difficulties. The F2003GA really struggled in one lap qualifying.

It is strange Ferrari have gone so long. Despite the definite benefits, it can go horribly wrong!

What are the benefits of a longer wheelbase Knowlesy, could you explain please?
Old 17 Feb 2007, 23:17 (Ref:1844037)   #17
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not him but still I may have a little insight. A longer wheelbase will create a more stable car at higher speeds. However, its less manouverable on tighter circuits.
Old 18 Feb 2007, 00:17 (Ref:1844068)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
More stable in high speed corners I believe.The new compounds are somewhat more similar to the ones used in 2005.Hope Ferrari learned something from that.
Old 18 Feb 2007, 00:18 (Ref:1844070)   #19
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Thank you neilap for explaining that, I understand now
Old 18 Feb 2007, 11:25 (Ref:1844256)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Michael prefered the longer wheel base iirc, and Ruben's for one couldn't get on with it.
Old 18 Feb 2007, 11:31 (Ref:1844259)   #21
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was the opposite?
Old 18 Feb 2007, 11:36 (Ref:1844262)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Well i know that it was something to do with the wheel base on the 2003 car, and as they went with the longer one i'd say that Michael prefered it (the longer), they were not going to go with a car that Ruben's prefered and Michael didn't get on with.
Old 18 Feb 2007, 14:57 (Ref:1844376)   #23
Dudley
Veteran

Dudley has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0MAT01
It depends how you look at it though, I mean do Autosport really expect to see 6 cars ahead of the lead Renault after 58 laps of Albert Park?
I don't see why not. I'd expect them to be Ferrari, McLaren, 1 BMW and 1 Toyota possibly though.
Old 20 Feb 2007, 19:26 (Ref:1846681)   #24
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe the stability advantage that is refered to is due to the weight distribution improvements. From a dynamic standpoint this would help the moment of inertia because the weight towards each end effects each set of wheels less. If that's not clear, think about throwing a hammer up in the air, it behaves interestingly due to the weight distribution.
Old 20 Feb 2007, 20:41 (Ref:1846733)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Well i know that it was something to do with the wheel base on the 2003 car, and as they went with the longer one i'd say that Michael prefered it (the longer), they were not going to go with a car that Ruben's prefered and Michael didn't get on with.
The logic is correct there, but it didn't turn out that way.

In 2003, Rubens was as close to Michael as he ever was. He seemed to be able to pull a quali lap out of the bag easier. Hockenheim was one bright example I seem to recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
I believe the stability advantage that is refered to is due to the weight distribution improvements. From a dynamic standpoint this would help the moment of inertia because the weight towards each end effects each set of wheels less. If that's not clear, think about throwing a hammer up in the air, it behaves interestingly due to the weight distribution.
That is right I think. It also allows the car to (theoretically) generate more downforce.