Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 28 Aug 2006, 21:39 (Ref:1695884)   #1
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Castle Combe 28th August

What an excellent day it was. I have been dreading going to CC this year, I have heard of the Gestapo scroots and sound testers, have driven the circuit on a track day years ago and was terrified by it.
Today was exactly the opposite, friendly scroots, friendly noise testers who weren't out to stop everyone racing as has been intimated elsewhere, and a decent drivers briefing with useful information.
Treat the track with respect and it was a fun seat of the pants drive, especially the long run up to Avon Rise with all the bumps and undulations.
But the biggest thing that sticks in my mind though was the crowd, I have never seen so many people at a club meeting since the sixties, and best of all they were enthusiastic about the racing and cheered everyone on the cool down lap.

I don't know what is special about CC but maybe they could give away some of their secrets to the other UK tracks. I can't wait to go back.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 21:57 (Ref:1695890)   #2
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Echo that,
I was also there and had a fantastic weekend, it really is a great circuit and it makes a pleasant change to race in front of a crowd.
Looking forward to going back next year
Old 29 Aug 2006, 08:36 (Ref:1696044)   #3
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see such a variety of cars and also so many Drivers giving a friendly wave at the end
Glad you enjoyed the day
Old 29 Aug 2006, 10:04 (Ref:1696106)   #4
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
The Race Gypsy, Wet Marshal & I Enjoyed marshalling for you on Camp Corner.

Combe is a very special place, and it's becoming even more so due to some very important changes made at the start of this season and a lot of hard graft throughout the year.

http://www.fireproof.plus.com/blog/2...-is-happy.html

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1545449
Old 29 Aug 2006, 13:57 (Ref:1696305)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Many thanks to you all for being there.
As for the changes, I wondered why everybody's attitudes were so different to last time I was there, albeit on track days. I didn't realise it is now run entirely by the CCRC.
All the staff seemed pleasant and the bar of chocolate at sign on was most welcome, Ah and a breakfast at a sensible price as well.
So now the secret is out maybe some other tracks can take note or maybe we could move Castle Combe a bit further east
Old 29 Aug 2006, 19:05 (Ref:1696971)   #6
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
But the biggest thing that sticks in my mind though was the crowd, I have never seen so many people at a club meeting.....
I thought the marshals alone probably outnumbered the average club meeting crowd! I would say that was what sticks in my mind most... but I think the Aston Martin that T-boned the car right in front of me, collecting me in the process, probably takes that honour.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1696987)   #7
Paul V
Racer

Paul V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
I thought the marshals alone probably outnumbered the average club meeting crowd! I would say that was what sticks in my mind most... but I think the Aston Martin that T-boned the car right in front of me, collecting me in the process, probably takes that honour.
I did wonder what happened to you....
Nice drive afterwards tho'

It was good to see a decent grid of interesting cars.
Even better that they all (only 1 or 2 exceptions) had bothered with their silencing
Anyhow - please do come again - a full grid @ 108dbA is totally legal and enjoyed by all.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1697020)   #8
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for that reassurance on noise, Paul.

I've just re-read my Supp.Regs for the MGCC/CCRC meeting on the 16th. The 93dB level which concerned me is measured on the circuit, sixteen metres from the track. The paddock noise test will be to the usual standards.

John
Old 29 Aug 2006, 20:52 (Ref:1697079)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Yes the noise, if I lived nearby I would be very peed off at the large American Motor homes and the even larger truck that arrived at 6am in what seemed like crawler gear with the engines revving almost flat out.
Then there was the moron who started a race car up and revved it flat out, serious backfires and all at 6.30am.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 21:49 (Ref:1697124)   #10
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Yes the noise, if I lived nearby I would be very peed off at the large American Motor homes and the even larger truck that arrived at 6am in what seemed like crawler gear with the engines revving almost flat out.
Then there was the moron who started a race car up and revved it flat out, serious backfires and all at 6.30am.
Totally agree,that is one issue Combe can definately not afford to contravene
Old 8 Sep 2006, 18:41 (Ref:1705447)   #11
Paul V
Racer

Paul V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
You may be interested in these
Just found them
http://www.hjm.smugmug.com/gallery/1834101/9
Old 9 Sep 2006, 17:07 (Ref:1705992)   #12
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
It gets more depressing every time I see it.

Obviously I was very pleased to get going again, and according to the timing sheets it lost me about 18 seconds on that lap. Not bad, except that I missed winning my class by 2 seconds and got lapped 9 second before the end so lost my last lap. Ho-hum!