Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 21 Aug 2006, 07:52 (Ref:1687935)   #51
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
.... but do you pay for your own racing out of the money you earn? Presuming you race.
SD, Andrew paints racers for a living ....... rather well, as it happens. I don't think it allows him time to race!

Take a look!:-

http://www.andrewkitson.com/pages/main.html
Old 21 Aug 2006, 10:19 (Ref:1688039)   #52
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Creighton Brown has been mentioned here as a worthy candidate.
Sadly he has passed away from cancer. This dreadful disease has again taken away a great racer and a super bloke. Great memories of his clubmans battles against his friend and rival Will Hoy who we know also succumbed to the disease and their awesome F1 engined Tiga Hart turbo in Thundersports that they shared in the mid 80s.
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=29028
Old 21 Aug 2006, 10:31 (Ref:1688049)   #53
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's sad news Andrew. He had some great races in Clubmans, which at the time was probably at it's peak. I didn't realise Camborough Pigs was his own company - it was an odd company to sponsor a racing car!
Old 21 Aug 2006, 16:32 (Ref:1688154)   #54
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Slippery Diff, I have my cars prepped because I do not have enough skill to do it myself and I dont want to compromise my safety. That hardly makes me a chequebook racer as I trailer my car to the track and help in any way I can. I think your stereotypes are cliched to the point of having no value.

I consider myself a clubbie, however I dont consider myself eligible for the rollcall of the great and good!!!
Old 21 Aug 2006, 20:36 (Ref:1688268)   #55
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
Slippery Diff, I have my cars prepped because I do not have enough skill to do it myself and I dont want to compromise my safety. That hardly makes me a chequebook racer as I trailer my car to the track and help in any way I can. I think your stereotypes are cliched to the point of having no value.

I consider myself a clubbie, however I dont consider myself eligible for the rollcall of the great and good!!!
Can someone please tell me where to find the 'tongue in cheek' smiley?

Simon, I was in the same situation. I could do basic jobs at the circuit, change pads, fix small problems, replace broken items etc, I've even helped pull apart gearboxes and engines in the paddock. I still had my car prepped professionally though but still consider myself a typical clubbie racer. I've spent my fair share of nights in a tent at the circuit. I've slept in my car occasionally. Once or twice though I had my car shipped to an event simply because I was offered a cheapy.
Those stereotypes may be cliched, but they exist and are at race meetings all over Europe every weekend. The clubbie racer who scrapes together a bit of spare cash to allow him to race a few times each year, far outnumbers the cheque book racers. Some series organisers would do well to remember this.....
Old 21 Aug 2006, 20:38 (Ref:1688273)   #56
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Creighton Brown has been mentioned here as a worthy candidate.
Sadly he has passed away from cancer. This dreadful disease has again taken away a great racer and a super bloke. Great memories of his clubmans battles against his friend and rival Will Hoy who we know also succumbed to the disease and their awesome F1 engined Tiga Hart turbo in Thundersports that they shared in the mid 80s.
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=29028
Andrew, would you happen to know Mike Keeling?
Old 22 Aug 2006, 06:35 (Ref:1688479)   #57
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
SD, no I don't, why do you ask?
Old 22 Aug 2006, 20:53 (Ref:1689085)   #58
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
SD, no I don't, why do you ask?
He's a motorsport artist. Did a painting for me.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 06:45 (Ref:1689299)   #59
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the basis of whats being said above, Jon Fletcher is someone you might consider for this title.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 09:26 (Ref:1693391)   #60
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This thread appears to have run it's course, so having started it I suppose I should try and finish it.

I would not dare to presune to pick a 'winner', however, it seems that Gerry Marshall would not offend too many people. (?)

When you consider how he died, well it reminds me of the comedian Tommy Cooper who died on stage during his act. A fitting way to go for two very different but consumate performers.

Thank you for all of your contributions and reminding us of just how many names have added lustre to our sport at every level.

Kind regards,

Bob.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 09:13 (Ref:1694333)   #61
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For me being a relative newbie I would include Simon Hadield in this, have seen him driving any number of different cars and he always seems quick!

Also somsone like Stu Kestenbaum and who is that guy that everyone gets into their car to set it up! Dives in Gt's, think he drove the Stealth?

Others for me would be Vergers, Whizzo and guys liek David Leslie, basically people who can get into anything and be quick!!
Old 2 Sep 2006, 07:51 (Ref:1699907)   #62
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
My vote for Club Racer would ultimately go to the bloke who preps his car when he can, usually late into the night before the race. Loads up wife and kids in a dog-eared Ford Transit campervan and travels 200 miles for a ten lap race that has cost him approx 160 pounds to enter; if he's racing at Brands on the short circuit he'll get about ten minutes racing for his money.
The trailer has seen better days and has plenty of miles under its belt. His race car, also his pride and joy, ain't gonna win no concours but every weekend it is pressed into service. They go without the usual family holiday abroad each year, prefering to head to Spa for a few days and take an extra day on the way home to keep the kids happy.
Once back at home the race car is put in the shed and won't be looked at until the night before the next race meeting. He'll be back at work on the Monday morning earning the money to go racing.
Bill Cox then?

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 2 Sep 2006, 10:23 (Ref:1699975)   #63
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack
Bill Cox then?
A true club racer. I think his old Capri was built from scrap yard bits!
Old 3 Sep 2006, 09:28 (Ref:1700486)   #64
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
A true club racer. I think his old Capri was built from scrap yard bits!
...or his old WRC Chevrolet (what a beast!)

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 19 Sep 2006, 13:56 (Ref:1713838)   #65
markal
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lancs
markal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brian Hough Tvr Tuscan Modsports driver killed 1973 at Thruxton, has anybody any stories or pictures.
Old 31 Dec 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1802291)   #66
Aowl
Rookie

Aowl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to second Simon Davey here.

Incidentally, can anybody help me get back in touch ith him?
I seem to have misplaced contact details.
Old 3 Jan 2007, 08:57 (Ref:1804565)   #67
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a number of races with Gerry, and it was always great to watch him from behind (where I usually was). Hardman (like Dron in some ways) makes his cars dance on tip-toes through the bends and makes you realise that you can go faster than you are, Gary Pearson has great on-the-limit consistency in whatever he is driving which you wish you could emulate, Whizzo is quick in the dry but simply awesome in the wet. Never raced with Stretton, but drives with great commitment.

But I suspect that a lot of historic drivers really rue the day that Win Percy found himself unable to drive.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 14:02 (Ref:1954259)   #68
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gerry Marshall

Having competed with a lot of the NAMES on this post; Bill Cox, Alex Clacher, Terry McNally, Les Nash, Peter (my main antagonist over the years) Baldwin, Nick Birch, Ray Payne ( fed up yet? ) I could go on like this for months.
Brain Tarrant, Norman Lackford, Bill Shepherd, and my hero of course ROGER WILLIAMSON, et al. But my vote has to go to a friend sadly missed, a man who had he been built like twiggy, would have most definately been in F1.
GERRY MARSHALL.
Gerry.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 14:17 (Ref:1954270)   #69
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget 'Ginger' Marshal - Reliant Kitten - Balders
Old 4 Jul 2007, 19:04 (Ref:1954472)   #70
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Taylor
Having competed with a lot of the NAMES on this post; Bill Cox, Alex Clacher, Terry McNally, Les Nash, Peter (my main antagonist over the years) Baldwin, Nick Birch, Ray Payne ( fed up yet? ) I could go on like this for months.
Brain Tarrant, Norman Lackford, Bill Shepherd, and my hero of course ROGER WILLIAMSON, et al. But my vote has to go to a friend sadly missed, a man who had he been built like twiggy, would have most definately been in F1.
GERRY MARSHALL.
Gerry.
Are you gonna make this years Donington meeting Gerry if i can arrange a pass!
Old 4 Jul 2007, 19:21 (Ref:1954482)   #71
d-b
Racer

United Kingdom
at home
d-b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here's an odd nomination

Peter Collis (Slick 50/MG & i think TVR's now)

after seeing him at Mallory Park racing his MGB flat out,including doing the Devils Elbow on three wheels as a mark of respect to a competitor who was killed the day before

db