Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Mar 2005, 05:36 (Ref:1260428)   #1
Ute#1
Rookie

Ute#1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Support Categories

Hi All

I have posted here before, but since i forgot my password i have created a new user name, so forgive me my low post count.

What is everyones thoughts on the support categories at the V8SC events?

Which one is the most entertaining, and provides the best value add for the spectators?

And what do you make of their respective motoring press coverage, category websites, tv? What things would help improve your view of each?

I am trying to get a broad view on what is popular and why - as well as what isn't and why not.

Thanks for any input.

Stay Cool
Old 24 Mar 2005, 06:20 (Ref:1260446)   #2
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From my experience at the Clipsal 500 (my opinion only of course)

(in ranked order best down to worst)

Historic Touring Cars
Performance Cars
Development Series
Formula Ford
Carrera Cup
V8 Utes
Aussie Racing Cars

The only categories that get good coverage on Trackside pay big $$$$ for it which is sad, because it means things like Carrera Cup get more coverage than the Development Series
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 06:51 (Ref:1260455)   #3
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the Historic Touring Cars are the best, but the V8 Development series and the Performance Cars are both very good.

The Carrera Cup leaves me cold, I'm lukewarm on Formula Ford and I can't stand the Aussie Racers. Carrera Cup gets excellent coverage becasue Porsche pay big money for it. I'll bet it's not a ratings winner with the viewers.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 06:57 (Ref:1260460)   #4
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
Exactly what I think David. Your feelings on the Utes though?
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 07:04 (Ref:1260467)   #5
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't like the utes because i think it's a shame to see such desirable cars being smashed to bits like speedway bombers. I think there are less than 5 really good drivers in the series.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 09:22 (Ref:1260536)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i love the aussie racing cars, why because if i won a million dollars, i would go and buy a fleet of them and take me and my mates racing

enjoy the utes and development series, historic touring cars is a nostalgic procession of cars that have different level of performance boring

formula ford is ok careera cup is ok

performance cars i dont mind and i enjoy salon car rcaing
Old 25 Mar 2005, 03:25 (Ref:1261241)   #7
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
If Historic Touring Car racing is a procession then what do you describe V8Supercars as then peckstar?

Just because they don't senselessly tear up cars like the Aussie Racing Cars doesn't mean it is boring does it?
Old 25 Mar 2005, 04:45 (Ref:1261259)   #8
Growling Ferret
Racer

Growling Ferret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love Aussie Racers - name another class that can go over the dog-leg at Oran Park 3 wide and come around the final corner 4 wide?

Worst classes to watch - any production based 1 make series - such as 121's, Daewoos, Lotus's (Lotii?), Mirages etc...
Old 25 Mar 2005, 07:44 (Ref:1261300)   #9
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring back the Sports Sedans.

I have always wondered whether the V8 supercars dont like them on the same progam because they are quicker.
Old 26 Mar 2005, 03:40 (Ref:1262072)   #10
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you can find them!
Old 26 Mar 2005, 09:21 (Ref:1262147)   #11
the man
Veteran

the man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 XR8
From my experience at the Clipsal 500 (my opinion only of course)

(in ranked order best down to worst)

Historic Touring Cars
Performance Cars
Development Series
Formula Ford
Carrera Cup
V8 Utes
Aussie Racing Cars
My opinion from best to worst

1) GT Performance ( Now known as Performance Cars ). This is goes back to there times with procar. So many different makes of cars which provides good close racing

2) Development Series- This shows the stars of v8 supercars sometimes but is also good close racing with PASSING.

3)V8 Utes Close racing while it does bring out the worst in drivers some times

4) Carrera Cup - Close racing in the mid pack but does lack in grid numbers

5) Formula Ford - Brings the stars of tommorrow out to the public and teams with close racing

6) Historic Touring Cars - Good racing but doesn't hit that much

7) Aussue Racing Cars - These little "pocket rockets" provide good close pack racing
Old 26 Mar 2005, 09:25 (Ref:1262150)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort
Bring back the Sports Sedans.
I would agree, except that an abortive effort to bring TRANZAM cars into the field has floundered.. and the national championship cars see their designs as older than their drivers in some cases

There is a lack of true technical or marque innovation in this class, as can be expected by no national series sponsor of note, and no real television support.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 26 Mar 2005, 10:17 (Ref:1262171)   #13
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as i love the Sports Sedans, John McCormack was right when he said that his Charger may have ruined Sports Sedans. It used to be a category that was reasonably cheap, spectacular and interesting. There were so many variations in Makes and Engine configurations that it was interesting just to find out what motor was under what body. Barry Sharp used to bring out some wild vehicles and Bryan Thompsons VW Chev was a crowd pleaser. That all seems to have gone now.
Old 27 Mar 2005, 05:01 (Ref:1262684)   #14
veritus
Rookie

veritus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
I would agree, except that an abortive effort to bring TRANZAM cars into the field has floundered.. and the national championship cars see their designs as older than their drivers in some cases

There is a lack of true technical or marque innovation in this class, as can be expected by no national series sponsor of note, and no real television support.
i think gtr that if you looked at some of the leading sports sedans that the technical innovation excelled a leading v8sc.
Old 27 Mar 2005, 05:50 (Ref:1262690)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritus
i think gtr that if you looked at some of the leading sports sedans that the technical innovation excelled a leading v8sc.
While the body shapes are from a bygone era, and the standard of presentation to the public isnt as pretty as it could be....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 27 Mar 2005, 06:11 (Ref:1262698)   #16
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritus
You forgot to finish the sentence. From 1994.
Old 27 Mar 2005, 08:59 (Ref:1262741)   #17
RACINGFAN
Rookie

RACINGFAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adelaide

I went to my first Adelaide Clipsal and I sat at the chicane grand stand, the most exciting support category was by far the Aussie Racing Cars, they looked to be the fastest through that corner and there racing was definately the closest.

Stubber in the Historics was very impressive too. The historics are always good and sound great.

Some of the other support categories were a little boring but still a great event.
Old 28 Mar 2005, 00:20 (Ref:1263257)   #18
cav
Racer

cav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am with you Racing Fan the Aussie racers really put on the best show of close racing and the presentation of the whole class is pretty good.It is pretty obvious that when they come out everyone crams to the fence to watch and there is allways a heap of people around their tent which I must say was really impressive at Clipsal. My wife doesnt come to many events but she loved the Aussie Racers more than anything. I like the historics although it is a bit dissapointing that the field is made up predominately of V8s when back in the era there were more other makes. The utes are only a smash up derby with a bunch of second rate drivers who would be uncompetitive if they were in any other category and only get recognition because they have a big mostache of are 92 years old. Carrera Cup is so so but the big money in it obviously keeps the sport going round. The other categories make up the programme but dont add much excitement and although my misses gets excited at the V8s for a couple of laps she then slips into boredom mode and I am not far behind. By the way it was great to see David Besnard in the Aussie Racers(my misses got her shirt signed) but does anyone know who the permanent driver is going to be?
Old 28 Mar 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1263467)   #19
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cav
The utes are only a smash up derby with a bunch of second rate drivers who would be uncompetitive if they were in any other category and only get recognition because they have a big mostache of are 92 years old.
Quite harsh and I would have to disagree strongly.

Brute drivers include Warren Luff, Damien White, Allan Simonsen, Grant Denyer, Allan Grice.

These guys have been quite competitive in other categories.
Old 28 Mar 2005, 21:57 (Ref:1263821)   #20
cav
Racer

cav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are right DRT there are a couple of drivers who can drive. Luff knows his way around but in all fairness White has done it for so long in the utes he should be able to be competitive and if he was so good why isnt he in something hat has proper racing heritage. Grant denyer didnt do too well in his first foray in a proper race car and I dont think I have ever heard of Simonsen and gricey was good but why would he want to bang around in a crash up derby. When you see the field come back after a race there are more bits hanging off and dents and stuff that it is hard to take the whole class seriously. I still reckon that uutes are fro carrying bricks and taking rubbish to the tip and are only a gimick in racing and really when you think about it they are really just V8 saloon car spec, boring, slow biffo.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 00:49 (Ref:1263885)   #21
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Cav is pretty well right. Gricey is wwwaaayyyyy past it, Ice White has nowhere else to go where he could be a hero, Denyer is yet to prove himself at all, Luffy did his one year, obliterated the opposition and moved on (well done) and Simonsen (one of the best young drivers in the country) is only there under sufferance as their is no more Nations Cup and not likely to be any time soon.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 01:36 (Ref:1263907)   #22
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In terms of pure excitement, you cannot go past the Aussie Racing Cars - they are built with the sole purpose of creating thrilling racing.

Standing on the viewing tower on the inside of Turn 1 at Eastern Creek and seeing a pack of 40 little Aussie Racing Cars flying through there at close quarters is surely one of the most thrilling sights in Australian motorsport.

Every race is full of incredible dicing - and the punters love them.

I quite like the Carrera Cup and the Lotus Trophy, despite their expense.

I also like any open-wheelers and the Development Series.

The Production Cars stand a good chance of becoming a top notch category too.

The utes are a bit too much bash-up derby for mine.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 02:46 (Ref:1263926)   #23
amaroo
Rookie

amaroo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ute#1
Hi All

I have posted here before, but since i forgot my password i have created a new user name, so forgive me my low post count.

What is everyones thoughts on the support categories at the V8SC events?

Which one is the most entertaining, and provides the best value add for the spectators?

And what do you make of their respective motoring press coverage, category websites, tv? What things would help improve your view of each?

I am trying to get a broad view on what is popular and why - as well as what isn't and why not.

Thanks for any input.

Stay Cool
Ute # 1 - Stay Cool, I suspect this is Damien White asking for feedback ??

Personally I think the Utes, Historics and Aussies all provide great support viewing. The Carrera cup is great to see Jim Richards in action otherwise its full of has beens, want a be's with big wallets etc and to answer the question of spectacle...........its boring.

If it is you asking Damien, do something else in 2006 to prove these nay sayers wrong, you have more ability than many others in many categories. Its all about luck, timing and persisting if you dont have family to buy a drive and unfortunately not many make it through.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 06:08 (Ref:1264939)   #24
Ute#1
Rookie

Ute#1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks all for your continuing input.

yes amaroo, i would like to do something else in 06 - wanted to do something else in 02,03 and 04 as well, but the utes have always received generous tv and this year is no different. when you compare the tv time to the cost to run its difficult to sell other categories to sponsors.

i have had my share of luck and fortunate timing and i will remain persistent. as for the "nay sayers", im comfortable with the fact i have more yay sayers than nay. they're all entitled to their opinions and, thankfully, improving peoples opinion of me is not what motivates me.

Stay Cool
Old 30 Mar 2005, 06:35 (Ref:1264946)   #25
hrt_rulz01
Racer

Australia
Australia
hrt_rulz01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i really like the historic cars. theres not that many holdens in there though. mostly fords. ive always enjoyed the carerra cup!

Last edited by hrt_rulz01; 30 Mar 2005 at 06:36.