Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 25 Sep 2004, 22:53 (Ref:1106935)   #76
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quite correct. Let's face it, how often could lane 3 or 4 of the M25 be accurately referred to as the "fast" lane?

In truth, it is both to aid clear and accurate description and also to try to remove the idea that the lanes to the right of lane 1 are for anything other than overtaking slower traffic. i.e. the "fast" lane is not for sitting in, bumper to bumper, at 85mph!
Old 26 Sep 2004, 08:17 (Ref:1107067)   #77
KPC
Racer

England
Well below that pie in the sky
KPC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lane 2 is percieved the Fastish Lane, the I'm doing okay lane, don't need the SLOW lane as I'll be overtaking a car in 10 minutes, 10 miles down the road. If I should fall asleep I won't go onto the hard shoulder brigade. I'd like to get them out and beat them round the head with a spiked baseball bat.

I stand corrected. Lane 3 it is. After all, when you have clear road Lane 1 is as fast as Lane 3.
Old 26 Sep 2004, 08:23 (Ref:1107071)   #78
KPC
Racer

England
Well below that pie in the sky
KPC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by KPC
Where do you start.

Anyway, upshot is, the Golf had stopped dead in the fast lane to let someone (a hitcher) out of the car to run across all three lanes to the M25 spur. I learned a lesson that night: Braking distances are no good when someone does the totally unexpected. I was subsequently taught to drive off of the driving line of the car in front to increase view. Good advice.
I've got to correct myself here as I'm not happy with this paragraph. I make it sound like I had the proper braking distance but still nearly came unstuck. Flawed reasoning. If you cannot admit that you make mistakes while driving, you will not improve. Still, this was a decade or so ago and now I am the most brilliant driver alive.
Old 26 Sep 2004, 19:48 (Ref:1107643)   #79
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
heck, i had a blue merc coupe flying down the breakdown lane to overtake me whilst coming down the 2-lane bit of the m11 yesterday...
Old 28 Sep 2004, 16:33 (Ref:1109527)   #80
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My favourite ever bit of crazy driving wot I witnessed is now nearly 20 years old! It doesn't involve high speed dramas, and it doesn't involve mobile phones, but it still makes me gawp quietly to myself.

I was driving up to Leicester to see some mates who were at University there. I was going up the A6 (?) and had been for a very long time stuck behind an old couple in a Triumph Dolomite. They were an entertainingly stereotypical old driving couple. The bloke was driving, very low down in his seat and wearing a flat cap. The wife was "navigating" (i.e. clearly complaining about the way he was driving (but, you could tell, not about the things he was actually doing wrong)).

They'd been doing the absolute classic 40mph in 60 zones... and also in 30 zones. But speeding up a little wherever it might otherwise have been possible to overtake them on the normal single-carriageway road.

Anyway, after what seems like a couple of months behind them, we reached the outskirts of Kettering, and were approaching a roundabout. It's a big roundabout, and the whole of the middle of it seems to be made of black and white chevrons. Pointing left.

Approaching said roundabout, you could just tell the following conversation was going on.

Her: "Here's a roundabout; turn right"
Him: "What? Right?"
Her: "Yes, right."
Him: "Right? Here?"
Her: "Right. Here."
Him: "You don't mean right around the roundabout?"
Her: "No I mean right. Here."

All of which is accompanied by indicators going on and off and changing of lanes.

Ah, the lanes. We now have two lanes - at last! And taking advantage of their momentary indecision, I've slipped up the left hand lane to go straight on, and I'm just pulling onto the roundabout, when he turns right - as he's been told. Anticlockwise around the roundabout, directly into oncoming traffic...,

I probably should have stopped as a witness, but there wasn;t any actual contact, and anyway, I couldn't have helped at all for laughing so hard.

Old people. Far worse than anything else on the roads.
Old 29 Sep 2004, 06:59 (Ref:1110046)   #81
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
I agree - Anyone reversing on a motorway hard shoulder should get an instant ban.
I was on the M60 on Monday, leaving the motorway at the M61 junction. As I left, there was a guy attempting to reverse about 250-300 yards down the hardshoulder to get back to the junction. About 4 cars behind me was a police range rover. What did he do? Absolutely nothing, just drove straight on past.
Old 29 Sep 2004, 09:38 (Ref:1110142)   #82
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

That's unbelievable. What's the point of having the few traffic patrols we've got left if they don't punish downright stupid driving?!

I suppose they may have radio-ed to ensure the moron was on candid camera - he could still get a nice summons through the post.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 14:43 (Ref:1114025)   #83
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is absolutely lethal when braindead fools do that reversing after missing the junction. People who seriously think that is 'safe' need a straight ban, as they obviously have an empty space where their brain should be!
Old 6 Oct 2004, 03:22 (Ref:1116509)   #84
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not quite as bad, but on the Hume Hwy on Sunday I was a bit amazed the number of passengers who had their feet up on the dashboards of their cars, right over the airbags. Not a particularly good idea, and you would think a responsible driver would not allow it (presuming of course they were aware of the risk...)
Old 6 Oct 2004, 16:29 (Ref:1117135)   #85
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've often told my wife that her knees are going to be driven at a very high speed into her skull when she does this. I think the message got across as she doesnt do it anymore.
Old 8 Oct 2004, 16:47 (Ref:1119111)   #86
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie
I was on the M60 on Monday, leaving the motorway at the M61 junction. As I left, there was a guy attempting to reverse about 250-300 yards down the hardshoulder to get back to the junction. About 4 cars behind me was a police range rover. What did he do? Absolutely nothing, just drove straight on past.
I once reversed up the fast lane (er, sorry, lane 3) of the M6!

Admittedly it was snowing heavily and traffic was at a standstill and I'd just wedged myself in a drift, but I done it anyway.
Old 24 Oct 2004, 20:39 (Ref:1134189)   #87
mattmarvell
Rookie

mattmarvell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imagine if you can a car park in the town of Ipswich on a Saturday afternoon -yesterday to be precise - opposite all mums favourite store of Marks and Spencer’s

For those that don’t know it’s a open air car park using the age old system of one in one out controlled by a barrier system - simple most people would think and I would too except I screw up in amazing style.

To begin with I was stuck in a queue for this car park for about 15 minutes surprising myself by not getting stressed by this queue just slipping off into a day dream of which I will keep to myself

So every so often the cars all move forward a cars length as one car leaves the car park and another is let into this world of fun.

I am now well and truly stuck in my dream world and working on auto pilot where I just move forward when the car in front moves forward not paying much attention to anything.
It’s on one of these occasions that I move forward and to my shock find a barrier crashing down on my half decent car. I realise what I have done straight away and put the car in reverse wondering how after so many years of living in this regimented country that I could forget how to use a car park.

The barrier completes it’s job after getting stuck at the point of impact on my car and goes back to its depressing state of holding traffic back from the world of fun – so now I am sitting in my car staring at the barrier waiting for what though I was unsure as I had for some reason completely forgotten the rules of this game...

I now see a light go off that had said full …I just sat there thinking now it will let me in - that’s how this works …but it didn’t so I just sat there waiting until a woman in a overly big family car that can go off road beeps her horn and leans out of her truck like car and shouts at me ‘YOU ARE MEANT TO TAKE A TICKET’

She’s right. I’m thinking this girl is on to something …Panic is now setting in as I
Realise I really am losing touch but worse than that I am now in the wrong position to take a ticket from the machine so I have the humiliation of having to get out of my half decent dented car to get a ticket..

I achieve this with style and grace and at last managed to get into the car park and find a space – It’s now that the familiar tale of woe continues now I don’t know if this is a male thing but I really didn’t want to get out and look at the damage that the barrier had caused but I did very quickly and thought ok great no damage …I go off to do my shopping happy in myself that no damaged had been caused …I come back less than 1 hour later and have another quick look to find that there is damage - a barrier shaped dent across the roof - which my brain had omitted to take in the first time I had looked.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 01:27 (Ref:1134424)   #88
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A friend's sister was once on a bus and saw a man that.......oh dear....how can I put it mildly.....well, let's just say that he had one hand on the steering wheel and with the other he was doing what many thought would make you blind (and no, I'm not talkig about looking straight into a solar eclipse!).
Old 25 Oct 2004, 17:37 (Ref:1135412)   #89
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
he must have been looking at someone arc-welding nearby?
Old 26 Oct 2004, 02:29 (Ref:1135908)   #90
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by djb
he must have been looking at someone arc-welding nearby?
Oh no, he was looking straight ahead from what I understant. Although one might wonder if what he was doing, if done frequently, could case "welding" of the interacting body-parts

Old 16 Nov 2004, 15:22 (Ref:1155036)   #91
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
some old man going down the road in an old vauxhall cav, doing 45mph in nat speed limit trying to see where he's going but strangly so focused on the speedo forgot to see what speed he should have been doing must have just heard about speed cameras!
Old 16 Nov 2004, 18:03 (Ref:1155197)   #92
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mattmarvell
Imagine if you can a car park in the town of Ipswich on a Saturday afternoon -yesterday to be precise - opposite all mums favourite store of Marks and Spencer’s

For those that don’t know it’s a open air car park using the age old system of one in one out controlled by a barrier system - simple most people would think and I would too except I screw up in amazing style.

To begin with I was stuck in a queue for this car park for about 15 minutes surprising myself by not getting stressed by this queue just slipping off into a day dream of which I will keep to myself

So every so often the cars all move forward a cars length as one car leaves the car park and another is let into this world of fun.

I am now well and truly stuck in my dream world and working on auto pilot where I just move forward when the car in front moves forward not paying much attention to anything.
It’s on one of these occasions that I move forward and to my shock find a barrier crashing down on my half decent car. I realise what I have done straight away and put the car in reverse wondering how after so many years of living in this regimented country that I could forget how to use a car park.

The barrier completes it’s job after getting stuck at the point of impact on my car and goes back to its depressing state of holding traffic back from the world of fun – so now I am sitting in my car staring at the barrier waiting for what though I was unsure as I had for some reason completely forgotten the rules of this game...

I now see a light go off that had said full …I just sat there thinking now it will let me in - that’s how this works …but it didn’t so I just sat there waiting until a woman in a overly big family car that can go off road beeps her horn and leans out of her truck like car and shouts at me ‘YOU ARE MEANT TO TAKE A TICKET’

She’s right. I’m thinking this girl is on to something …Panic is now setting in as I
Realise I really am losing touch but worse than that I am now in the wrong position to take a ticket from the machine so I have the humiliation of having to get out of my half decent dented car to get a ticket..

I achieve this with style and grace and at last managed to get into the car park and find a space – It’s now that the familiar tale of woe continues now I don’t know if this is a male thing but I really didn’t want to get out and look at the damage that the barrier had caused but I did very quickly and thought ok great no damage …I go off to do my shopping happy in myself that no damaged had been caused …I come back less than 1 hour later and have another quick look to find that there is damage - a barrier shaped dent across the roof - which my brain had omitted to take in the first time I had looked.
Nice one Matt, I know that car park well, my girlfriend invevitably has problems reaching the ticket whenever she parks there (she is quite small, hehe).

Me, I never park in the town centre, if I'm going into town, I bike.
Old 8 Dec 2004, 21:40 (Ref:1174756)   #93
mattmarvell
Rookie

mattmarvell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
Nice one Matt, I know that car park well, my girlfriend invevitably has problems reaching the ticket whenever she parks there (she is quite small, hehe).

Me, I never park in the town centre, if I'm going into town, I bike.
Thing is i would never normally park in that car park - I was only there as a favour for someone - Which kind of makes it more painfull
Old 9 Dec 2004, 08:49 (Ref:1175072)   #94
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

When I lived in Saudi Arabia I drove to work to our Radar site outside town about 60 Kms each day and every day I was overtaken by a guy reading a newspaper!!!
Old 21 Dec 2004, 03:00 (Ref:1184593)   #95
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmarvell
Thing is i would never normally park in that car park - I was only there as a favour for someone - Which kind of makes it more painfull
I had to park there the other day. Ten quid for about 3 and a half hours! Never again!

Although my girlfriend told me a funny story, we saw this loose kerb stone, that had apparently been there for ages. In fact it was in the middle of the car park, and she'd managed to scrape her bumper on it. Anyway she complained about it, so they said they'd do something about, but they still wanted her to pay for parking. So she just turned her engine off and sat there until they let here out!
Old 21 Dec 2004, 11:24 (Ref:1184879)   #96
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
Although my girlfriend told me a funny story, we saw this loose kerb stone, that had apparently been there for ages. In fact it was in the middle of the car park, and she'd managed to scrape her bumper on it. Anyway she complained about it, so they said they'd do something about, but they still wanted her to pay for parking. So she just turned her engine off and sat there until they let here out!
Same happened to me, when i was still in my pram the lift was out of action at my town's multi-storey, so I was pushed up to the relevant floor up the access ramps...
Because this took longer, by the time we got to the exit we were about 2 minutes over the hour. Mother handed over the right amount for an hour.
The little man in the hut at the exit insisted we pay for 2 hours, Mother refused as it was their fault we took longer (and also did something dangerous). The little man in the hut insisted we pay for 2 hours.
So, I was taken out of my child chair, put in the pram, the car was locked, and we started walking. The little man chased after us and accepted the money for one hour, as the queue was swiftly building behind us...
Old 21 Dec 2004, 16:07 (Ref:1185109)   #97
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
A sobering thought for Christmas

Thankfuly I didn't see this happen but I arrived a few minutes after and I was stuck in the aftermath for 4 hours today.
Someone going too fast on a slippery bendy road (30mph limit) lost control, clipped a kerb went on the wrong side and hit a truck head on at an estimated 60+mph. He and his passenger paid the ultimate price. Hopefuly they were both dead before the car burst into flames. Two families will have an awful Christmas.
So all you people who think you can handle a car at speed please be carefull on these damp and icy days.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 19:26 (Ref:1186137)   #98
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The worse thing I saw was when we were in Cyprus and turning right into our Apartments about 15 years ago. The driver behind decided to overtake us and inevitably crashed into us. The guy literally fell out of the car and was as p****d as a rat and couldn't walk. The police were called and he just sat there laughing and joking with his passenger who was equally worse for wear. When the police arrived they went straight to the drunken passenger, said 'Yes Sir' in greek and left prompty. The passenger was the local deputy police chief and the driver was his boss!
Old 23 Dec 2004, 01:05 (Ref:1186417)   #99
Sharky
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwelshman
The worse thing I saw was when we were in Cyprus and turning right into our Apartments about 15 years ago. The driver behind decided to overtake us and inevitably crashed into us. The guy literally fell out of the car and was as p****d as a rat and couldn't walk. The police were called and he just sat there laughing and joking with his passenger who was equally worse for wear. When the police arrived they went straight to the drunken passenger, said 'Yes Sir' in greek and left prompty. The passenger was the local deputy police chief and the driver was his boss!
That's a very dangerous type of accident. An aunt's husband almost died in an accident like that. he was driving to pick her up in a club some 20 minutes from the city in his Renault 18. As he was going into the club he turned left but the car behind him (a Mazda 626 L), which was doing 100Km/h thought he had stopped so he went into the other lane just as he was turning and crashed into the driver's side door. The impact was so hard that when they pulled him out of the car he was sitting on the passanger's seat. All of his internal organs became loose and some internal organs were broken. he had to be operated right away and that meant making an incision from his groin to the neck.

He's alive and OK now but we still can't believe that he survived. I saw the pictures of the car and it looked like a U. The other car had the front completely smashed but nobody was hurt.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 09:13 (Ref:1188282)   #100
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical Trevor

*Note-may not be appropriate for all ages
Saw a simular thing on M2 today