Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 20 Apr 2008, 00:46 (Ref:2181694)   #1
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Street Circuit Safety - Concrete Blocks

If there are Marshal out there who doubt that temporary, two ton concrete blocks, can't jump up and bite them...check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7GFKbezV18

Stay safe out there people!
Old 20 Apr 2008, 22:28 (Ref:2182423)   #2
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
two ton concrete blocks
Minor correction but those blocks weigh in at a little over 4 tonnes not 2

The blocks did their job in keeping the car on the track and not in the lap of the spectators or marshals.

Having them sit on smooth ground means they will move if hit hard enough, just look at Turn 8 (Clipsal layout) at Adelaide before they put the second layer of blocks behind the wall.

I don't know the level of the set up at Adelaide, Hamilton or Surfers but at Albert Park spreader frames are installed in the marshal gaps to prevent us from being crushed if the outer block gets hit, mind you we will still get tossed around a bit in a direct hit.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 10:19 (Ref:2182747)   #3
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heeeeloooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
I don't know the level of the set up at Adelaide, Hamilton or Surfers but at Albert Park spreader frames are installed in the marshal gaps to prevent us from being crushed if the outer block gets hit, mind you we will still get tossed around a bit in a direct hit.
They are heavy, Marshals feet and Ankles are squishey....the blocks can move very, very fast...Marshals may not move very, very fast (as in Canberra a few years ago) .."spreaders" can snap and also jump up and injure Marshals...if Marshals get "tossed around a bit"....

guess what??, Not Happy Marshals Jan

Last edited by 275 GTB-4; 21 Apr 2008 at 10:27.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 17:55 (Ref:2183141)   #4
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They got moved a few inches at the ROC!!
Old 21 Apr 2008, 22:12 (Ref:2183466)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I saw a V8 Ute push the pit wall at Surfers back around 3 feet. There was little you could do to stand back without standing in the pit lane itself, though.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 22:24 (Ref:2183469)   #6
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember being told a story about an F1 drivers briefing at Adelaide many years ago when the subject of the blue flag marshal standing out a bit exposed at a few posts was mentioned.

Apparently one of the drivers well known for his quick wit & sense of humour commented when it was suggested the marshals may be hit was to "have plenty of spare marshals ready"
Old 21 Apr 2008, 22:24 (Ref:2183470)   #7
BSA Susie
Racer

United Kingdom
Southampton
BSA Susie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombeMarshal
They got moved a few inches at the ROC!!
What when I tripped over one!?
Old 22 Apr 2008, 13:31 (Ref:2183985)   #8
marshal_man
Racer

United Kingdom
Taunton, Somerset
marshal_man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it funny what commentators say, at Rockingham, there was a huge clio smash with 3 cars as most of you will know the commentator said "When a car hits the contrate blocks the contrete blocks always win" how obvious can you get hehe.

They did a good job tho as there was 2 flaggies stood behind where the cars hit.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 14:02 (Ref:2184030)   #9
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
See this for an example from this past weekend at Long Beach. He hit the opposite wall head-on at the station. Luckily after all this time at the Beach they know to put the K-wall right up against the street curbing if they can't pin it. It still kicked hard enough to make two workers very sore.

keke