shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quickest in the pits...

Article from F1-Live:
http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...13181730.shtml

Basically states that Renault is consistently the fastest team in the pits, especially in the last two races:

Spain - fastest pit stops:
J. Trulli - 20'997 - lap 9
F. Alonso - 21'427 - lap 8
F. Alonso - 21'816 - lap 25
R. Schumacher - 21'879 - lap 10
J. Trulli - 21'900 - lap 23

San Marino - fastest pit stops:
F. Alonso - 22'619 - lap 48
J. Trulli - 23'019 - lap 46
O. Panis - 23'538 - lap 26
F. Alonso - 23'617 - lap 30
J. Trulli - 23'685 - lap 31

Which got me wondering a little bit... why are they consistently quicker? The traditional bottleneck in a pitstop is the refueling, as that takes longer than the other operations (tire changing, wing adjustment) under normal circumstances. So, what is different in their refueling?

The fuel delivery rig is the same as everyone else's (or it should be!), so it seems to me it is down to either:

A) their pitstop techinique is phenomenal
or
B) their fuel tank design is unique
or
C) they are using less fuel than everyone else (engine less thirsty)

Anybody have any other takes on this?
Old 14 May 2004, 12:25 (Ref:970836)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Didn't Renault "short fill" Trulli in his first stop in Spain? Didn't he come in after Alonso for his first stop, but before him for his second stop?
Old 14 May 2004, 12:31 (Ref:970844)   #3
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
Yeah, that is true... but they didn't short-fill 4 times! Discounting that kind of scenario, they are still consistently quick...
Old 14 May 2004, 12:34 (Ref:970851)   #4
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
If you watched the pit stop in Spain they appeared to put a third man on to the fuel hose as it it released and seamed to get it removed and out of the way significantly quicker. This was commented on by Martin Brundle.

I would assume you will see other teams copy this technique in Monaco
Old 14 May 2004, 12:37 (Ref:970852)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Thats true Mal, only remembered that after you mentioned it!
Old 14 May 2004, 12:42 (Ref:970859)   #6
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
Hmmm, our coverage didn't mention that (that I recall, anyway...). Good insight.
Old 14 May 2004, 13:13 (Ref:970900)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, the pitstop times that Shiny posted are not really helpful. The total of time spent in all 3 pitstops are more meaningful. Renault are still ahead.
Code:
Imola
Fernando Alonso 	1:11.320 
Jarno Trulli    	1:11.464 
Ralf Schumacher 	1:12.206 
Michael Schumacher 	1:12.719 

Spain
Fernando Alonso 	1:06.7 *
Jarno Trulli    	1:07.2
Michael Schumacher	1:09.1
Juan Pablo Montoya	1:09.8
That would suggest like 1-1.5 seconds or 12-17 liters less for a race distance. (Since the refuelling system is standard, I don't think that technique or tank design really have an importance, not even the 3rd guy who pulls out the hose.)
Old 14 May 2004, 13:38 (Ref:970928)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The notion that the Rneualt engine isn't very thirsty has been discussed before now I think, so that is probably it, that they physically require less fuel to complete a particualr distance. The third guy on the fuel rig looks to be a good idea as well.
Old 14 May 2004, 18:33 (Ref:971144)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
not even the 3rd guy who pulls out the hose.
I think the point that Martin Brundle was trying to make was there is less chance of the fuel nozzle sticking with 3 blokes pulling it out than with 2, which does make sense to me.

I'm surprised that Ferrari aren't up there, if what Martin and the Dullard were saying about the special fuel that Shell have developed is true. According to them, the same amount of Shell fuel goes a lap or 2 further than fuels used by other teams.

Last edited by Mr V; 14 May 2004 at 18:34.
Old 14 May 2004, 18:45 (Ref:971152)   #10
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Jarno is fastest because they seemed to short fuel him for the 1st pitstop so he could get out in front of MS... didnt work... his first stop was 5.2 or thereabouts...
Old 14 May 2004, 19:43 (Ref:971217)   #11
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always think that the BAR pit-stops take about 1s longer than, say, Ferrari, even when they're on roughly the same strategy. I hope they can get that sorted soon...
Old 15 May 2004, 01:52 (Ref:971477)   #12
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i had some similar thoughts on BAR.
The u-beaut new honda engine seems to be abit of a fuel guzzler,relatively anyway
Old 15 May 2004, 02:03 (Ref:971479)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting..so Renault actually have economical engines..

Among the top teams, i thought BMW drinks the most...Williams usually struggle a little for pole position, yet they are one of the first guys to stop. BAR seems ok, Ferraris seem ok..they could set pole times, yet stay out longer than their competition.

And Jarno's superquick first pitstop time, yet losing a position showed once again Michael's superb 2 in-lap speed.

Besides a "third fuel hose man", who have any idea what other teams currently use to try speed up the refuelling process? Ie, Ferrari once tried to wrap the fuel hose with a cold blanket or something...do they still use it?
Old 15 May 2004, 04:31 (Ref:971495)   #14
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari has had a guy pulling on the belt of the refueler for about 3 seasons now not exactly the same but it allows for the refueler to pull on the nozzle and the other guy to pull him outta the way which seems to me like it would be effective
Old 15 May 2004, 05:17 (Ref:971499)   #15
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought he said the rumour was that it meant Shell-Ferrari fuel was supposed to be lighter, so for a given loaded *weight* the car can go a few laps more. Thing is though, if the fuel is only lighter but takes up the same physical space, it can only be flowed through the refuelling rig at the same rate.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 15 May 2004, 05:54 (Ref:971510)   #16
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
I think the point that Martin Brundle was trying to make was there is less chance of the fuel nozzle sticking with 3 blokes pulling it out than with 2, which does make sense to me.
Yep, good point. But in most cases the refuelling goes smoothly, the improvement can't be significant.