Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 14 Aug 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1382040)   #1
pitcrew
Racer

England
Uk
pitcrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aussie Racing Cars

Wow ive just been watching the "Aussie racing cars" on Motors Tv what brilliant racing i was supprised at the sizes of the grids!!!

Basicly the same as our Legends series in the uk but a pleasure to watch
Old 14 Aug 2005, 20:56 (Ref:1382205)   #2
jezwold
Rookie

New Zealand
On Tour
jezwold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcrew
Wow ive just been watching the "Aussie racing cars" on Motors Tv what brilliant racing i was supprised at the sizes of the grids!!!

Basicly the same as our Legends series in the uk but a pleasure to watch
Better looking than the Legends! It is a fantastic formula. I caught them at the Surfers Paradise round in 2004 ... definatly a highlight of the weekend.
For more info check - http://www.aussieracingcars.com.au/
Old 15 Aug 2005, 00:25 (Ref:1382343)   #3
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, it is a top little championship with plenty of exciting action.

Obviously I haven't seen the Brit Legends series, but the thing that is amazing about the Aussie Racing Cars is just how professionally turned out they are!
Old 15 Aug 2005, 03:11 (Ref:1382347)   #4
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
They *are* legends cars aren't they, just with different bodies ?

I don't like the way the Old Fords and FJ's are handicapped as they have no rear wing...
Most of the front running teams are prepared out of the supercar garages aren't they ?

DKGandBH
Old 15 Aug 2005, 03:26 (Ref:1382352)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKGandBH
They *are* legends cars aren't they, just with different bodies ?
Similar. Phil Ward and his team have modified them a bit.

Quote:
I don't like the way the Old Fords and FJ's are handicapped as they have no rear wing.
That is made up for by the fact that the older model car engines do not run with restrictors, while the AU Falcon and VY Commodore do.

Quote:
Most of the front running teams are prepared out of the supercar garages aren't they ?
Tim Monte runs the Westpoint Racing car for DJR, Brad Lowe the WPS car and Nick Simmons the GRM car.

The rest are either run privately or by Phil Ward's works team.

There was talk that Jack Perkins may run a CPR car as well, but that fell through.

It looked like there was a PCR car at Oran Park too - don't know about the level of cooperation there.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 04:07 (Ref:1382360)   #6
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the "aero" on the cars was non-existent and just for looks?
Old 15 Aug 2005, 04:47 (Ref:1382364)   #7
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe the original concept of the 'Legends' was the brainchild of THE " Humpy" Wheeler, of Charlotte [Lowes] Motor Speedway fame.

Humpy introduced the legends as a between races catergory at Charlotte, in the early to mid 90's, to keep the fans entertained during downtime.

This concept was also copied by Bob Jane [as were most of Charlotte's good ideas, especially the Musco lighting] at the Thunderdome in Melbourne, as a fill in between AUSCAR & NASCAR races.

As a side-note, Bob also named his rambling homestead estate " Charlotte ", clearly showing how taken he is by the Charlotte track, and environs...
Old 15 Aug 2005, 05:10 (Ref:1382370)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I lost interest when they decided they needed to put in current model cars.

The old styles look much better and were the purpose of the bloody thing when it started

It's just one of the 'too many' categories we have in Australia nowadays.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 05:15 (Ref:1382372)   #9
mac
Veteran

Oh please racer!

Go and stand on the inside of turn one at Eastern Creek as 40 cars come flying through four wide on lap one and tell me it doesn't get your attention.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 07:37 (Ref:1382411)   #10
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering the size and weight of the cars, is four wide around turn 1 at Eastern Creek such a big deal?

40 'cars' would get my attention, 40 'legends' probably would as well, but not 40 caricatures............
Old 15 Aug 2005, 07:51 (Ref:1382419)   #11
mac
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Considering the size and weight of the cars, is four wide around turn 1 at Eastern Creek such a big deal?

40 'cars' would get my attention, 40 'legends' probably would as well, but not 40 caricatures............
Who cares what they look like? The racing is fantastic.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 08:15 (Ref:1382427)   #12
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yep Oran Park was fantastic racing.....I wonder what the world wide TV coverage is for this series???
Old 15 Aug 2005, 10:47 (Ref:1382547)   #13
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love watching the Aussie racers they are great value for money very close racing
Old 15 Aug 2005, 11:07 (Ref:1382564)   #14
noeleon
Rookie

noeleon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsf1
yep Oran Park was fantastic racing.....I wonder what the world wide TV coverage is for this series???
TV coverage is the same for all V8 SUpercar support classes i think...as we all know Channel 10s Sunday Trackside prog, TV1 in NZ, plus Motors TV in Eurpoe which was how this link got started.

The cars have come along a way from the Legends, ARC are designed for tracks not ovals to start with. Plenty of proffessional drivers have driven them and cant believe how well balanced they are let alone how close the racing is. Big name drivers have been ... John Faulkner, David Besnard, Cameron McConville, Gary Rogers, Max Dumsley, Barton Mawer to name some I can remember...

As for their real perfomance .. wait till the next Motor Magazine comes out with their report after testing one at a NSW country airfield and again at Oran Park Thursday last week!
Old 15 Aug 2005, 11:24 (Ref:1382590)   #15
Growling Ferret
Racer

Growling Ferret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is more overtaking in one lap of a Legends race than there is in a season of V8Supercars.... They are 1000 times more interesting than any single make series (Carrera Cup excepted), and offer entry level motorsport at a reasonable cost. And they fly.

What more do you want as support for the main game?
Old 15 Aug 2005, 11:39 (Ref:1382609)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growling Ferret
What more do you want as support for the main game?
HPDC cars at each of the Eastern states' rounds of the main series sounds all right by me, with attendance at Adelaide and Mallala as well.....

Watching Supercars race keeps my interest....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Aug 2005, 11:48 (Ref:1382628)   #17
noeleon
Rookie

We should really call them "Aussie Racing Cars" or "Aussie Racers" to avoid any possible confussion with the "American Legends" both are similar concepts, much like NASCAR and V8 Supercars being sedan racing to those who dont follow motorsport though.

There are 60 Aussie Racers in Australia now with the 4 different body shapes! the original 40 Ford and FJ Holden are still favorites but the crowds and sponsors prefer the newer AU Ford Falcon and VY Holden Commodore body shapes. The performance differences between older and newer shapes has been overcome and vary from track to track.

You certainly get more passing in one Aussie Race Car race than some/most classes get in a year! and at a fraction of the cost of them ensures everybody wins, the crowds, the drivers and the sponsors.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 11:48 (Ref:1382629)   #18
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The flipside is, it's a contrived class. They have as more in common with exhibition dodgem cars as they do with any production road, or racing car class.

What is the most important thing to you in a racing car class?
Old 15 Aug 2005, 12:00 (Ref:1382645)   #19
noeleon
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
The flipside is, it's a contrived class. They have as more in common with exhibition dodgem cars as they do with any production road, or racing car class.

What is the most important thing to you in a racing car class?
I haven't been on a dodgem car lately but clearly you are mistaken to think Aussie Racers are not real racing cars. The pros have driven them and speak very highly of them and the fans who watch them know real racing when they see it! at Oran Park the V8s were doing 1:09 laps, the ARC a 1:18 !!!

2nd part ...easy ... where the more money you've got doesn't ensure your success, where all cars are equal and the driver makes the real difference! doesn't sound like many classes I know but the Aussie Racers fit that requirement!
Old 15 Aug 2005, 14:00 (Ref:1382780)   #20
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Superkarts are faster again than both ARC and V8Supercar - but do you consider them karts or cars?

Whether or not I think they are real racing cars is irrelevant. Your opinion of my opinion is also irrelevant. It is up to the individual to make up their own mind.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1383140)   #21
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see the master of anything with wheels, Jim Richards run a round in these cars!!!! I hear Crompton was to run a silver VY at OP? but wasnt finished in time.....
Old 16 Aug 2005, 02:31 (Ref:1383250)   #22
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Superkarts are faster again than both ARC and V8Supercar - but do you consider them karts or cars?

Whether or not I think they are real racing cars is irrelevant. Your opinion of my opinion is also irrelevant. It is up to the individual to make up their own mind.
Oops - sentence got removed - second attempt

But it does need pointing out that by their construction, and the technical regulations of the class, really they are not racing cars by any existing descripton. Hence the dodgem analogy. They, along with the technically similar Future Racers, are probably a new kind of vehicle somewhere between Groups 1 & 3.

And if I can add some more comments. I notice for state level racing purposes they are a kind of invited (ie Formula Libre) Sports Car. Indeed Dominator have recently built a Falcon bodystyled knock-off of an ARC, or so I'm led to believe.

Yeah 60 odd ARC's around now. There was but 1 FJ Holden at the Qld Raceway round though. That's kinda pushing the '4 bodystyle' statement.

And calling them Fords and Holdens is a kind of fallacy when really the closest manufacturer is Yamaha. They should all be referred to as Yamahas. To suggest that they are Fords and Holdens is to suggest you could put numbers plates on V8Supercars and drive them home after the race.

They make great racing, are relatively cheap, but a lot of what they are is based on perceptions and half truths.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 02:52 (Ref:1383256)   #23
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
blah... blah... They make great racing, are relatively cheap.
Yep !

DKGandBH
Old 16 Aug 2005, 02:57 (Ref:1383258)   #24
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just over 5000 a round and running in a strong field, four races, support to V8's, race on Sunday. What more could you ask for with such limited money.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 02:58 (Ref:1383260)   #25
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Yep !

DKGandBH
I'm not gonna knock what's good about the class, but I'm not going to write them a press release either
Closed Thread