Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Nov 2006, 12:17 (Ref:1764906)   #1
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aussie Racing Cars to race at Aussie F1 Round

Just heard on Channel 10 that the Aussie Racing Cars will be a supporting role for the Albert Park/Australia Round for the F1. I reckon it will be good to see the pocket rockets go aound the F1 Circut. What are you thoughts people?
Old 13 Nov 2006, 12:19 (Ref:1764908)   #2
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
great news great cars great racing will be great to see them there.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 12:53 (Ref:1764942)   #3
pete60
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane
pete60 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe, but I doubt the F1 boys will be hanging over the pit wall to watch them go round....
Old 13 Nov 2006, 12:57 (Ref:1764947)   #4
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not unless they get some very fancy grid girls.... ala why they used to look at the V8s on the grid
Old 14 Nov 2006, 04:56 (Ref:1765502)   #5
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track is too long and straight. Won't be that entertaining for them (plus the long gearing sapping the nimbleness.) They are best suited for shorter tracks (like Baskerville where they rock.) But they have done Bathurst and survived...
Old 14 Nov 2006, 05:30 (Ref:1765510)   #6
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The V8's would draw spectators to the GP, I can't see the quirky little Aussie racers achieving that. Crowd figures for the event (if they aren't too rubbery) will be very interesting
Old 14 Nov 2006, 06:06 (Ref:1765524)   #7
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd much rather watch the real supercars go around Albert Park.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 14 Nov 2006, 07:30 (Ref:1765551)   #8
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase3
Crowd figures for the event (if they aren't too rubbery) will be very interesting
I wish the same blokes who counted heads at the AGP were in charge of my superannuation
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 14 Nov 2006, 07:57 (Ref:1765564)   #9
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most sporting crowds are fabricated or exaggerated or just estimated. Crowd figures are part of the PR war the sports engage each other with. The AFL is only sport I am aware of that has their crowd figures auditted.

Nobody really treats the numbers seriously. Remember the old FIA TV audiences for Formula One? Something like three times the population of the planet? Well extrapolute that BS downwards to other sports of smaller scale.

As long as they don't treat the public seriously with the numbers why should we treat them seriously?

And hey its the Australian Grand Prix. The support act has never made any difference to my decision on whether to go or not.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 14:44 (Ref:1767797)   #10
Dobbo89
Rookie

Australia
Mayfield
Dobbo89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they will put on a great show, you will have a very full grid, and it would be great to see if some big names can join the field, mixing it with the regulars made the Aussie cars the star of bimf.

As for crowd figures, A=gp bared

This sweet little formula works on the premise that any motor sport event attendance (A) can be judged by the amount of grass patches (gp) seen in a spectator area devoid (bared) of spectators. In layman's terms, how many spots left to sit.

This formula also explains why events with no grass, mostly street races, maybe desert races, are gaining favour with promoters.

please note the gp-bared does NOT work on golf courses

Enzo Ferrari
Old 17 Nov 2006, 00:48 (Ref:1768176)   #11
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The same reason a lot of sports stadiums have mutli coloured seats in each section instead of uniform colours. The break up in colour it creates makes it hard to see how many seats are really empty.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 02:01 (Ref:1768193)   #12
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they should play somewhere else.May as well back them up with HQ's and Formula V, entertaining but not on the F1 bill.
F5000, Aus GT, GT3, Porsche cup, Historic Group A and C tourers, Group N, Can am, Aust superbikes. Any of these are far more a spectical than Aussie racers.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 13:02 (Ref:1768567)   #13
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Peddler has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by B24
I think they should play somewhere else.May as well back them up with HQ's and Formula V, entertaining but not on the F1 bill.
F5000, Aus GT, GT3, Porsche cup, Historic Group A and C tourers, Group N, Can am, Aust superbikes. Any of these are far more a spectical than Aussie racers.
Well i dont know what ARC races you have been watching... I would have to say that looking back at the season just finished, they would have to be one of the most entertaining classes to watch! I still think that the ARC's at Bathurst just gone was without a doubt, the best racing i have seen in a very long time.

Go the Datto!!!
Old 28 Nov 2006, 12:46 (Ref:1776607)   #14
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What will be the allowed grid capacity for them?
Old 28 Nov 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1776625)   #15
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaksnaf
What will be the allowed grid capacity for them?
About 60 would be good.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 20:50 (Ref:1776942)   #16
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Great, elsewhere in the world, the F1's are supported by other open wheeler classes, GT cars Etc. Here we get a bunch of wind-up noddy cars.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 20:53 (Ref:1776945)   #17
barney551
Veteran

barney551 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
welcome Backagain ... very incitefull first post ......
Old 28 Nov 2006, 22:45 (Ref:1777030)   #18
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by B24
I agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain
Great, elsewhere in the world, the F1's are supported by other open wheeler classes, GT cars Etc. Here we get a bunch of wind-up noddy cars.
Also agree. The "Aussie Racers" have their place somewhere but it isn't the F1. It doesn't exactly showcase the best Australian motorsport has to offer.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 10:08 (Ref:1777596)   #19
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan

Also agree. The "Aussie Racers" have their place somewhere but it isn't the F1. It doesn't exactly showcase the best Australian motorsport has to offer.
Then what should be? Celebrity BMW races? Go-Kart Challenge? Im sure they would fall into your category of "not wanted at Albert Park"?

Plus Id rather something that is entertaining than a boring one, and too many people call ARC boring.
Old 26 Feb 2007, 11:11 (Ref:1851901)   #20
duc851
Rookie

duc851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it should be an open wheeler event ...historic F5000's and Formula Atlantic / Euro F2......

these guys get stuck in given the opportunity..

and not full of 16 year olds
Old 27 Feb 2007, 01:48 (Ref:1852473)   #21
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't forget that the AGP people are in the business of entertaining people - they don't care about F5000 or historics.

The Aussie Racing Cars certainly fall into the entertainment category and appeal to a broad range of fans - I dare say they'll be the most exciting racing at the GP.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 06:50 (Ref:1852567)   #22
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring on the HQs.

About 55, maybe 60.....with the grid marshalls getting fit marshalling them way back past turn 15.

That would do it.

The Aussie Racecars are fun, and not as slow as some folk might think.

Easy to recover too. Only takes a couple of trackies to pick one up....once they get it out of gear.

Let's see how they go......they turn turtle quick going accross kerbs sideways. Could be fun for the punters.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 07:33 (Ref:1852575)   #23
BTR
Rookie

BTR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If we are going to showcase the ARC as the best Australian motorsport has to offer then we might as well put the HQ's on as well. like who puts on utes, ARc and f3 on the f1 program?

We should be show casing australia's best talent and categorys ie Carrera Cup, Formula Ford, and maybe leave utes on to give the punters a bit of a laugh!
Old 27 Feb 2007, 07:45 (Ref:1852582)   #24
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTR
If we are going to showcase the ARC as the best Australian motorsport has to offer then we might as well put the HQ's on as well. like who puts on utes, ARc and f3 on the f1 program?

We should be show casing australia's best talent and categorys ie Carrera Cup, Formula Ford, and maybe leave utes on to give the punters a bit of a laugh!
Carrera Cup are at the AGP and so are the Utes. So 2/3 of your suggestions.

Formula 3 is great at the GP because it attracts a large field, the largest field for them all year. And with international interest, why should F3 not be on the card?

Aussie Racing Cars are also widely entertaining, probably moreso now than the Utes are. As the Utes have lost a lot of their "Brute" and are now an actual racing category. Plus there is no fog, or dust around Albert Park for them to put on a dust show, all their antics would just end up in a concrete wall.

HQ Holdens are great, but the track is really just way too big. Would almost be like watching those karts going around.

Plus people go to F1, for that very reason. F3 competes at Sandown. HQ's are on all the time. Aussies are at all major tracks. Utes go to plenty, and Formula Ford are on in basically every state.

And you get to see them all for a cheaper rate than at the F1 GP.

I doubt whether people would change their minds going to the F1, if they had Formula Ford instead of ARC. Nor would they if HQ's were on instead of F3. All in my opinion of course.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 08:51 (Ref:1852605)   #25
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Bullett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all, I have to say the F5000's would be spectacular around the lake, anyone who went to the Sandown Historics last year would have seen how spectacular a full field of these beasts are, and the presentation of them is amazing especially as the drivers arent afraid of pushing them hard. And there are close to 30 of them for Phillip Island in a few weeks, and this sort of event would bring even more of the big cars from the UK. Im guessing that the ARC would have put some money up to get themselves on the bill, so any category with money would be likely to get onto the F1 bill.