Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Jun 2011, 06:51 (Ref:2897778)   #1
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No Sound from the Diesel Engine(led to Rockenfeller and McNish accidents?)

I couldnt help but point out that the Audi's and Peugeot's have no engine noise. The Audi's got taken out in two incidents where the driver couldnt see the Audi and turned in on it.

i would also like to mention that I was watching the onboard for the #7 peugeot on one of Anthony Davidson's Stints and he almost had the exact same incident that happened to Rockenfeller in the exact same place. This went unnoticed by live television fortunately i was watching the feed and it was close.

Anthony was going for the inside in the kink and the Larbre Corvette apexed it and Davidson backed out of it and passed on the outside. Davidson fortunately had the time to back out of it.

Notice that none of the Petrol powered cars had these close calls because you can here the petrol cars coming. If you cant see them hearing them is the next best thing.

Since theres no engine sound on the Audi or Peugeot they are more susceptible to being hit by unaware Gt Drivers. Heres the differnce between sound and light. When the bright light shines it blinds the GT car's mirrors and theres no perception of distance. We all know based on the Doppler effect that the Petrol P1 car will sound different when it is far away compared to when it is at your quarterpanel. Sound in most cases allows for distance perception. Its alot easier to know where the Petrol P1 is thatn the diesels. Woudlnt be surpsrised if ppone of the two teams comes back next year with a louder sounding engine

Its the same issue electric road cars have with pedestrianss. People dont here the elctric car and risk getting hit now they make electric cares give audible sounds to alert pedestrians
Old 13 Jun 2011, 07:47 (Ref:2897810)   #2
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Davidson tried that move because he was going hard in his stint...theres alot of pressure on the Pug and Audi guys to perform and they think these risks are acceptable.

Its really got nothing to do with sound because how many times have we seen these accidents? Maybe just once this year? The prototypes have to flash their headlights to let another car know they're coming so thats not an issue especially with the super bright lights of the Audis and Pugs this year. The only reason petrol prototypes aren't having this issue is because the drivers aren't taking the same reckless risk as the works drivers...
Old 13 Jun 2011, 07:50 (Ref:2897811)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Whilst the Audi is very quiet - the Peugeot most definitely has engine sound...... It ain't no Aston Martin V12, but sound it certainly has......

Personally, I don't think sound has anything to do with the accidents.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 08:05 (Ref:2897819)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Watch any of my incar Videos on YouTube and you will not hear any other competitors engines and my camera doesnt have a full face helmet and balaclava and maybe ear plugs, it wouldnt make a jot of difference IMHO even if the thing was electric powered. Horrible sound though isnt it, sounds like a Ford Transit van on steriods.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 08:24 (Ref:2897828)   #5
PorscheCurves
Racer

Australia
Sydney
PorscheCurves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't think that the lack of engine noise caused the accidents. The slower cars get a flash from the headlights.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 08:44 (Ref:2897839)   #6
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Davidson tried that move because he was going hard in his stint...theres alot of pressure on the Pug and Audi guys to perform and they think these risks are acceptable.

Its really got nothing to do with sound because how many times have we seen these accidents? Maybe just once this year? The prototypes have to flash their headlights to let another car know they're coming so thats not an issue especially with the super bright lights of the Audis and Pugs this year. The only reason petrol prototypes aren't having this issue is because the drivers aren't taking the same reckless risk as the works drivers...
There was an interesting discussion going on RLM at one point between Hindy and Graham (i think it was those two, at about 4am) that actually the LMP lights are too bright... which means when a GT car looks in it's mirrors all it see's is a white out, with no idea where the actual car is.

The discussion came about from talking about the vision, and how the old RML Lola coupe had a rear camera with software used to dim the lights... clever stuff.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 09:27 (Ref:2897861)   #7
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's a combination of poor vision, blinding lights and LMP1 drivers who are pushing beyond the limit. It seems to me that the pressure on the Pug and Audi drivers means they can't afford to lift and lose a few seconds. I watched all but a few hours on Eurosport and the pace was unrelenting. Fascinating stuff, but being on the limit for so long has to have consequences.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 09:41 (Ref:2897874)   #8
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think engine noise has anything to do with it - you can't hear a damn thing other than your own car's noises from the cockpit, certainly until the other car is in front.

First accident was a classic Le Mans 50/50 where I'm afraid McNish just assumed the other guy would make way. The second was down to night time visibility - I don't think the other driver realised Rockenfeller was flashing him, sometimes it can just look like the car is going over a few bumps.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 13:36 (Ref:2898073)   #9
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have to agree that listening for the other cars to judge how far back they are has to be almost impossible in anything but maybe the R-15. The lights have to be the best way to judge both distance and closing speed and given that it seems universal that Audi's lights were insanely bright logic would lead you to Kauffman not understanding exactly how close Rocky really was. And I am really glad to see the tempers have subsided a little about banning Kauffman from racing forever, during the race it seemed like he was the most hated man since Davidson last year.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 14:10 (Ref:2898101)   #10
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
I couldnt help but point out that the Audi's and Peugeot's have no engine noise. The Audi's got taken out in two incidents where the driver couldnt see the Audi and turned in on it.

i would also like to mention that I was watching the onboard for the #7 peugeot on one of Anthony Davidson's Stints and he almost had the exact same incident that happened to Rockenfeller in the exact same place. This went unnoticed by live television fortunately i was watching the feed and it was close.

Anthony was going for the inside in the kink and the Larbre Corvette apexed it and Davidson backed out of it and passed on the outside. Davidson fortunately had the time to back out of it.

Notice that none of the Petrol powered cars had these close calls because you can here the petrol cars coming. If you cant see them hearing them is the next best thing.

Since theres no engine sound on the Audi or Peugeot they are more susceptible to being hit by unaware Gt Drivers. Heres the differnce between sound and light. When the bright light shines it blinds the GT car's mirrors and theres no perception of distance. We all know based on the Doppler effect that the Petrol P1 car will sound different when it is far away compared to when it is at your quarterpanel. Sound in most cases allows for distance perception. Its alot easier to know where the Petrol P1 is thatn the diesels. Woudlnt be surpsrised if ppone of the two teams comes back next year with a louder sounding engine

Its the same issue electric road cars have with pedestrianss. People dont here the elctric car and risk getting hit now they make electric cares give audible sounds to alert pedestrians
You ever been in a car with open exhausts and a helmet on? You're not hearing anything past your own exhaust. Based on experience, even with open windows and just window nets, you're not gonna hear much of the other cars. Add in closed lexan windows, and the "sound" of the other cars is a non factor.

McNish's wreck was a dumb, low percentage move too early in the race. Rocky's was an amatuer driver having brain fade at 2 in the morning in the dark.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 15:08 (Ref:2898123)   #11
wheelz22
Racer

United States
NJ
wheelz22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those two incidents had nothing at all to do with engine sound level.....c'mon.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 15:19 (Ref:2898130)   #12
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I don't think it is inconceivable, that the poor visibility out of the R18 didn't play somewhat of a part though.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 16:04 (Ref:2898163)   #13
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
I don't think it is inconceivable, that the poor visibility out of the R18 didn't play somewhat of a part though.
My thoughts as well.

Dr. Ulrich says no.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92285
Old 13 Jun 2011, 16:19 (Ref:2898179)   #14
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by picchiofan View Post
You ever been in a car with open exhausts and a helmet on? You're not hearing anything past your own exhaust.
I think you are absolutely correct. Anyone who thinks the Larbre Corvette driver would have heard anybody coming up behind him over the bellow and rumble of the Corvette engine, is just way off base. Especially with the helmet scrunched over their head.

DK
Old 13 Jun 2011, 16:20 (Ref:2898180)   #15
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting post

Quote:
I couldnt help but point out that the Audi's and Peugeot's have no engine noise.
I confirm that Peugeot makes noise, a solid lorry one.

Quote:
The Audi's got taken out in two incidents where the driver couldnt see the Audi and turned in on it.

Since theres no engine sound on the Audi or Peugeot they are more susceptible to being hit by unaware Gt Drivers. Heres the differnce between sound and light. When the bright light shines it blinds the GT car's mirrors and theres no perception of distance.
That the lights of the Audi blinds the GT car's mirrors, yes, I think it's possible.

Quote:
We all know based on the Doppler effect that the Petrol P1 car will sound different when it is far away compared to when it is at your quarterpanel. Sound in most cases allows for distance perception. Its alot easier to know where the Petrol P1 is thatn the diesels. Woudlnt be surpsrised if ppone of the two teams comes back next year with a louder sounding engine
As said in a post above, I'm not sure that the differential of speed between the GT and LMP makes the Doppler effect of the sound easily perceptible with a helmet, the noises of your own car and of the relative wind.

Quote:
Its the same issue electric road cars have with pedestrianss. People dont here the electric car and risk getting hit now they make electric cares give audible sounds to alert pedestrians
You are absolutely right, I totally agree. When I have electric car I hope I will be allowed to choose the noise : Panoz, V12 ? Difficult to choose !
Old 13 Jun 2011, 17:01 (Ref:2898217)   #16
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Peugeot is louder than some of the quieter petrol cars, no doubt about that, so we can take them out of this debate straight away!
Old 13 Jun 2011, 17:30 (Ref:2898243)   #17
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:

In the words of John McEnroe "You cannot be serious!" ...Sound usually follows not preceeds a vehicle! Perhaps Diesel LMP's should be fitted with Hooters to warn of their SPEEDY approach, like road vehicles!
Old 13 Jun 2011, 18:18 (Ref:2898275)   #18
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Of course he isn't going to come out and say that they have a safety issue, but will continue racing anyway.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 19:04 (Ref:2898302)   #19
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's hard to know what the real view from the cockpit is like, but I would expect the Audi drivers to have problems with visibility off centre-line in the cockpit, if at all. With the Rockenfeller incident, I felt like he based his commitment to the inside off his view out of the front during approach, and had already put himself into a wedge where his ability to see car on left or grass on right wasn't going to make a spot of difference as he was going for a ride no matter what. Maybe the view for the driver is worse, but in particular with in-car cameras at night I expect overall visibility is better given the aperture and focus response of the human eye.

With the McNish crash, judging the role of visibility is a little harder, because I think the biggest vision impediment that resulted in poor car positioning was the other R18 right in front of him - this affected both Allan and Beltoise I would surmise. Vision notwithstanding, a bit of impetuousness is the primary culprit here in my estimation.

I do not believe sound or lack thereof has anything to do with either of these incidents.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 19:11 (Ref:2898307)   #20
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Whilst the Audi is very quiet - the Peugeot most definitely has engine sound...... It ain't no Aston Martin V12, but sound it certainly has......

Personally, I don't think sound has anything to do with the accidents.
ACtually this isnt true. I know your thinking about the Onboard footage from tehe new 908(yes that sounds very loud.. but the sound coming from the onboard footage isn't the engine sound. Its a rather weird phenomena. The reall teller of the sound is when the camera was on the pit straight and the Peugeot went by and it just sounded like a whisper. The on board footage sounds like some kind of tractor and that isnt the sound of the 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheCurves View Post
Don't think that the lack of engine noise caused the accidents. The slower cars get a flash from the headlights.
Lights are blinding on the Audi and 908 regardless of flash. Themlights just switch from blinding to doulble blinding. The 908 doesnt sound like what the onboard footage makes it seem. Appparently its chatter that your hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
The Peugeot is louder than some of the quieter petrol cars, no doubt about that, so we can take them out of this debate straight away!
See above.^ The onboard camera on the 908 isnt hearing the true sound of the 908

Last edited by Audi Racer; 13 Jun 2011 at 19:17.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 19:17 (Ref:2898311)   #21
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Well if most of the gt cars are front engine its not inconcievable that you could here something from behind you.

however the 458's are mid engiend with the engine behind the driver which would drown out all sounds that could of beehn heard from behind
Old 13 Jun 2011, 19:27 (Ref:2898320)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Hmm, not sure about that. F1 drivers say that they can hear a car when its alongside them, so maybe the sound does have something in it.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 19:45 (Ref:2898328)   #23
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
ACtually this isnt true. I know your thinking about the Onboard footage from tehe new 908(yes that sounds very loud.. but the sound coming from the onboard footage isn't the engine sound. Its a rather weird phenomena. The reall teller of the sound is when the camera was on the pit straight and the Peugeot went by and it just sounded like a whisper. The on board footage sounds like some kind of tractor and that isnt the sound of the 908

See above.^ The onboard camera on the 908 isnt hearing the true sound of the 908
It is the real sound, since it's not a fake sound either, but with a lot of sound distortion. Same for every car and obviously just more prominent the louder the engine is.

(ACO/Eurosport should do something about the sound quality of the onboard mics, compare to ALMS or FIA GT1 onboards for example.)
Old 13 Jun 2011, 20:36 (Ref:2898358)   #24
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Lights are blinding on the Audi and 908 regardless of flash. Themlights just switch from blinding to doulble blinding. The 908 doesnt sound like what the onboard footage makes it seem. Appparently its chatter that your hearing

My comment was not what it sounded like, it was about how loud it was. The new 908 is not a silent car. If you could hear engine sounds from inside a cockpit, you could make out the 908.

I'm going by youtube videos and what spectators who have seen it race have said - it's an audible car.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 21:03 (Ref:2898385)   #25
reef1234
Rookie

reef1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the Rocky shunt engine note would have nothing to do with the shunt. It's a unspoken rule that the apex for the two kinks on the way down to Indianapolis should be left for the faster cars if they are trying to overtake. There was no need for the Ferrari to take the apex as the difference in lap time is nothing, he could have easily let the Audi have the inside with effect on his performance.