Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Feb 2015, 02:43 (Ref:3505044)   #2676
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thought I'd share the shout out to the crew... cant post pics here sorry... but the words to go with the crew pic, are heart felt.

It feels like a win, despite only being a 2nd in class and a 6th outright, but for the few that know the background, its epic for us... anyway...

So I think the words are coming now...

Firstly to Emily (far right in crew pic) if she can read this. I wish I got your name/contact. What a trooper. From Albury Motorsport TAFE, a brilliant effort from a bold young lady taking on a mans world. General garage assistant, sticker crease getter outer (and putter inner!), and keeping the car and garage clean and tidy. Fire woman in the fuelling pitstops. Also helping, and I think its fair to say, impressing, the lads from AF corse next door!

Erald Shabani. (In middle at back, thumb up). My helper at Hughes Supercar Services. Bulldozer of work to do. Since October we've been sinking our lives and energy into getting the car repaired from the mid year whoopsie, and preparing it for the 12 hour. Superb effort, so proud and I consider myself very lucky to now have you formally employed. To grab your life by the scruff of the neck, and bail from the crumbling economy in Italy without speaking the language, taking language school until you could get a job here.. amazing. And to land on my doorstep through astrological guidance and luck, I'll be forever thankful. Bulldozer. It is as it is supposed to be!

The Nizwits, err, I mean the Nizpro turbocharging professionals.... Tonys mates from way back, and legends at everything, including wit, predictions, and actual work too! David Symons (5th from right), Blake Morris (4th from right), Stuart (6th)and of course Simon (2nd). David on left wheels, blake on spike and handling, simon on fuel vent, stuart on fuel in. Sharp minds and funny buggers the lot of them. Ace jobs.

Brett Dickie, (third from right) my ex helper at Hughes Supercar Services, and part of one of aussie motorsports great families. So sorry you didn't get a drive in the race, but for sure your day will come. In the mean time, I'd want no other guy to fit those right side wheels.

Hector Lester and John Buchan. (each side of Erald) Longest serving British GT competitors, and people I consider great friends. The connection I helped give to Allan, has bound a knot that can't be undone. Hector, the passionate and enthusiastic Ferrari owner and racer, and deeply emotional character, fun loving and a bottomless pit of support and well meaning. Laconic Scot John, master of all things Ferrari. Preparer of the most speedy and successful and reliable Ferraris known to man. Nobody has a better reliability record.

Christophe Pizzoglio, (4th from left) Kessel racing. Always the best quality help, instantly. Enough said.

Stefano Govoni.(5th from left). 2IC at Michelotto GT3 dept... His presence was a surprise and a blessing. Big time!

James McCabe. (3rd from left). A huge pleasure and honour to scoop you up, and finish that unfinished business we had. From Teds Lambo effort in 2012. You were oil on the water, a slick operator and smoother of all wrinkles. A pillar of reasoning and knowledge.

Jordan Nizwit junior (2nd left). Enjoy your swim?

Elizabeth Parrish. Far left! Thanks so much for all the work catering and refreshing. But also for keeping Tony under control! That's one job few can claim to achieve! Also not pictured, sister Rachael, again, thanks for the same!

Andrea Montermini... (Front and centre). An honour and privilege. Highest regard for a top level pro, and funny bugger too.

Renato (front left). Mate, I don't know how you do it. You achieve so much in any given timeframe, multi tasking like no other, and your driving that weekend was impeccable. And barely a glimmer of Princess or chopper man!

Benny (front right). I struggle the most here. All I can say really is thanks. And wow. And **** yeah! What a drive, 50th to 14th, in a stint. Incredible, and something only few could ever do. And super professional in the car too, slick driver changes and an amazing race strategy brain also. Wise beyond years, but I guess you've had a good teacher...!

And finally Tony Defelice, Left middle. To remove yourself from your own car, and place your trust in me and take the educated risks proposed to you, takes more balls and guts than I've ever experienced from anyone. To allow me and Benny the closure we've gained, and experience we've built will never be under appreciated. To spend your own money to allow us to do that goes beyond gratitude. And the thanks we pass on toy you, come not only from us, but also our families and friends, around the world.
Old 15 Feb 2015, 06:21 (Ref:3505065)   #2677
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
scudd, the GT Academy guys were kicked out of the British GT series from memory because they were to fast even though it was their first year ever racing.
Old 15 Feb 2015, 21:46 (Ref:3505283)   #2678
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff s conscience View Post
Clearwater lost most time with a dud wheel change pit stop under green. The nut/gun jammed or somethinge.

Mok did as well as he needed to, it wasn't his fault they didn't place. Vilander copped a drive through for hanging back too far under sc too.
Clearwater got the ferrari to behind the race leader on the track twice.

The safety car came out.

The leader directly in front of them pitted.

And.... they followed the leader.

My understanding was, that if the leader pitted , the pace car would pick up the new leader.

This occurred when the JBS Lambo got its lap back.

Had they stayed out they'd have been given their lap back.

So this happened twice - and they were two laps down.

All of a sudden Clearwater is on the lead lap with a third of the race to run.
Old 15 Feb 2015, 23:42 (Ref:3505319)   #2679
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.213km View Post
Clearwater got the ferrari to behind the race leader on the track twice.

The safety car came out.

The leader directly in front of them pitted.

And.... they followed the leader.

My understanding was, that if the leader pitted , the pace car would pick up the new leader.

This occurred when the JBS Lambo got its lap back.

Had they stayed out they'd have been given their lap back.

So this happened twice - and they were two laps down.

All of a sudden Clearwater is on the lead lap with a third of the race to run.
Without seeing that myself, I agree with the theory, however you have to factor in how much drive time has been used, how much fuel is in the car and where the tyres are at.

It's not as easy in the moment as it looks after the race is done.
Old 16 Feb 2015, 16:24 (Ref:3505500)   #2680
kevin993
Rookie

kevin993 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
My thoughts on the event after going for four days:
- Catch fencing has wrecked a lot of good photo ops but also made me go find some newer ones.
Any more thoughts on this? Were you able to find other good spots? From television coverage, it sure looked like there was a lot of fencing. Are there photo cut-outs? Can you get around the entire track along the fence line? Would like to attend and take photos, but trying to get a better handle on what to expect. Thanks!
Old 17 Feb 2015, 04:32 (Ref:3505672)   #2681
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Places now ruined by extra catch fencing.

Exit of the chase (Indside)
All of pit straight.
Reid Park all the way to McPhillamy.

You can still get a few shots from these locations but you need a long lens, 500mm you might get away with a 400mm.

You need to get up high on the spectator mounds to get a view over the fencing, This was not to bad at the 12hour but I think at the 1000 you will struggle just due to the amount of people there.

That said there are still a few of the old places with an unimpeded view. Murray's and Hell from some points. Reid Park out of the cutting, Skyline (If you can get a spot)

I didn't get down past the Dipper but I assume Forrest's is still OK

Last edited by Trev Campbell; 17 Feb 2015 at 04:45.
Old 17 Feb 2015, 04:55 (Ref:3505673)   #2682
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post
Places now ruined by extra catch fencing.

Exit of the chase (Indside)
All of pit straight.
Reid Park all the way to McPhillamy.

You can still get a few shots from these locations but you need a long lens, 500mm you might get away with a 400mm.

You need to get up high on the spectator mounds to get a view over the fencing, This was not to bad at the 12hour but I think at the 1000 you will struggle just due to the amount of people there.

That said there are still a few of the old places with an unimpeded view. Murray's and Hell from some points. Reid Park out of the cutting, Skyline (If you can get a spot)

I didn't get down past the Dipper but I assume Forrest's is still OK
Were you the winner of the Nismo competition Trev?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 17 Feb 2015, 05:51 (Ref:3505681)   #2683
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Were you the winner of the Nismo competition Trev?
Yep, Awesome weekend. The folks at Nissan/Nismo were incredible.
Old 17 Feb 2015, 05:53 (Ref:3505682)   #2684
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well done to you.
Old 17 Feb 2015, 06:25 (Ref:3505687)   #2685
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Congratulations!

I saw you and your partner on Speedcafe and you guys looked very happy. Good on you.
Old 17 Feb 2015, 06:58 (Ref:3505693)   #2686
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Brilliant! And you were with the winning squad
Old 17 Feb 2015, 12:09 (Ref:3505771)   #2687
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Thanks Guys. Sorry I didn't get to go to the dinner but it was all a bit of a rush to go. As you might have seen some of my photos are on Speedcafe. With the CatchFencePhotos site no longer operational once I've gone through my photos I'll post some on here.
Old 17 Feb 2015, 23:09 (Ref:3505957)   #2688
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff s conscience View Post
Without seeing that myself, I agree with the theory, however you have to factor in how much drive time has been used, how much fuel is in the car and where the tyres are at.

It's not as easy in the moment as it looks after the race is done.
FF

I saw them do it the first time - and thought, perhaps they were out of fuel and had to pit... benefit of the doubt there.

Second time - no way ....

To stay out the extra lap, drive around to the back of the pack, get that lap back and pit - and your back in the race.

My belief - they didn't fully understand our somewhat unique pace car rules.

A shame, because their strategy was a good one but my belief is they felt they needed to get in front of the leader to get the lap back ... but they didn't, they just needed to be close enough and for those in front to pit.

I understand it's not as easy as it looks - there are others of us on this forum who run endurance race teams and understand the goings on also FF. If clearwater want me next year i'm available....
Old 18 Feb 2015, 03:47 (Ref:3506020)   #2689
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A journo on caradvice certainly thinks that the new Merc is in next year ?

This year’s gruelling Mount Panorama event comprised 269 laps of the 6.213km circuit, for over 1670km and a record 20 safety car disruptions. It also signalled the final time affiliated teams would tackle the world-famous race in the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 before its new Mercedes-AMG GT-based replacement takes over in 2016.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 04:33 (Ref:3506026)   #2690
cossie55
Rookie

cossie55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
6.213 - that is not how it works.

the leader is picked up by the safety car. If the leader pits, then the next car in the train is kept behind the safety car. I know this as it happened to me in last years 12 hour in the early stages, and it was how things have always worked in supercar land as well...
Old 18 Feb 2015, 06:46 (Ref:3506047)   #2691
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
A journo on caradvice certainly thinks that the new Merc is in next year ?

This year’s gruelling Mount Panorama event comprised 269 laps of the 6.213km circuit, for over 1670km and a record 20 safety car disruptions. It also signalled the final time affiliated teams would tackle the world-famous race in the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 before its new Mercedes-AMG GT-based replacement takes over in 2016.

What would caradvice know about the GT scene?

Reminds me of Wheels predicting Ortelli joining the driver lineup this year. I think they got that right only out if sheer luck

Do you have a link to the article please?
Old 18 Feb 2015, 06:47 (Ref:3506049)   #2692
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie55 View Post
6.213 - that is not how it works.

the leader is picked up by the safety car. If the leader pits, then the next car in the train is kept behind the safety car. I know this as it happened to me in last years 12 hour in the early stages, and it was how things have always worked in supercar land as well...
I think though there is an element of your comment being right and 6.213 strategy being right but slightly missing a point

At some point (but not usally straight away) all the cars in front of the leader are let throught until the lead car is behind the safety car, At that point the lapped car (assuming it was in front of the new leader) is now at the tail end of the field and can pit and make its stop without going a lap down.

Not sure in the case mentioned it would have got two laps back though as the first time would have messed with its position the 2nd time
Old 18 Feb 2015, 07:00 (Ref:3506052)   #2693
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
What would caradvice know about the GT scene?

Reminds me of Wheels predicting Ortelli joining the driver lineup this year. I think they got that right only out if sheer luck

Do you have a link to the article please?

2015 Bathurst 12 Hour :: swan song for Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3
Old 18 Feb 2015, 09:30 (Ref:3506096)   #2694
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.213km View Post
FF

I saw them do it the first time - and thought, perhaps they were out of fuel and had to pit... benefit of the doubt there.

Second time - no way ....

To stay out the extra lap, drive around to the back of the pack, get that lap back and pit - and your back in the race.

My belief - they didn't fully understand our somewhat unique pace car rules.

A shame, because their strategy was a good one but my belief is they felt they needed to get in front of the leader to get the lap back ... but they didn't, they just needed to be close enough and for those in front to pit.

I understand it's not as easy as it looks - there are others of us on this forum who run endurance race teams and understand the goings on also FF. If clearwater want me next year i'm available....
Fair enough.

There are also other factors to consider...

For instance, we wanted to triple stint Renato, but he got leg cramps, and only while under SC, so we had to rethink on the fly, and get him out at a time that suited our remaining driver slots and his own and their own rest breaks required etc....

It's quite a juggle to get it right.

It looks like we fluked it, but I'm claiming full responsibility when it goes so well

Our car was roughly 2 seconds lap off the pace on average, so by rights, we should have finished over 4 laps down on the leaders... We were just a smidge away from getting our lap back to be on lead.

Last edited by ff s conscience; 18 Feb 2015 at 09:36.
Old 18 Feb 2015, 10:14 (Ref:3506114)   #2695
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So next years race is February 4th to 7th?
Old 18 Feb 2015, 10:45 (Ref:3506122)   #2696
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
No date has been released yet. The thought pattern being that ch 7 may need to be included in any discussions about date.

Plenty of time though
Old 18 Feb 2015, 10:46 (Ref:3506123)   #2697
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman View Post
It hasn't been announced yet
Old 18 Feb 2015, 23:33 (Ref:3506379)   #2698
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Austin Cindric's View Of Race Week

Interesting how many brands he brought along to the team..
Old 18 Feb 2015, 23:56 (Ref:3506387)   #2699
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Austin Cindric's View Of Race Week

Interesting how many brands he brought along to the team..
Good read
Old 18 Feb 2015, 23:58 (Ref:3506389)   #2700
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders and a reasonable talent behind the wheel from what I've seen.