Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Feb 2002, 13:00 (Ref:221665)   #1
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Why don't the teams test in Australia?

I just saw a film clip of the Minardi testing in Italy. The team had to pay US$100,000 to rent the lousy track at Vairano for 1 day, and the weather was lousy - foggy and cold. The test results probably have a lot of errors as the conditions are not suitable. Why don't the teams test in Australia before the Australian GP? There must be lots of tracks here suitable for testing, and the temperatures would be nice and warm. Surely the teams can set up a mobile workshop of some sort to get them over most mechanical requirements short of a major rebuild. They could come out here in January, and test for several days at a time and then have a break at the Gold Coast, or visit the future 2010 Winter Olympic site at Smiggin Holes. The families can come out, and the tracks would be a helluva lot cheaper to hire than those extortionist rates in Europe. They might even get some great odds on the horses from Robbie Waterhouse. XXXX
Old 24 Feb 2002, 13:12 (Ref:221668)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tell me if I'm wrong but I think Minardi are still based in Europe along with all the other teams. Imagine the cost and logistics of getting the team across to Australia, just to test in the warm. If it was worth it I guess they would do it.
Old 24 Feb 2002, 13:17 (Ref:221672)   #3
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most probably because Australia dosen't have any test status circuit
Old 24 Feb 2002, 13:21 (Ref:221674)   #4
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And part of Melbourne is in use as a road.
Old 24 Feb 2002, 13:29 (Ref:221677)   #5
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not to mention that it's not on the list of tracks that hosts GP's and where tests are allowed.

PS: if Kyalami is used for tests, I believe that logistic is not such an insurmountable obstacle.
Old 24 Feb 2002, 14:38 (Ref:221694)   #6
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought Imola wasn't on that list of tracks that host GP's but teams can test on.

But last week Ferrari tested on Imola, did I miss something or is testing at Imola allowed this year?
Old 24 Feb 2002, 20:27 (Ref:221942)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
i personally think that any circuit on the f1 calander shouldn't be allowed to host test sessions!
Old 24 Feb 2002, 21:15 (Ref:221998)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Kyalami is used because of the sponsors who come from there (Rothmans is partly owned by South Africans). Also, the time difference between Europe and South Africa is only 1 hour and flying time from Europe to Johannesburg is 10 hours unlike Australia.

At the end of the day though Australia doesn't have a certified F1 test track as someone has already said.
Old 24 Feb 2002, 21:20 (Ref:222008)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
could you imagine a team getting all the way to oz.stuffing it on the first lap and having to go home again as they didn't have the parts to repair the car!!
Old 25 Feb 2002, 00:40 (Ref:222084)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The expense of travelling to Australia just for a race is astronomically expensive, there is little wonder that F1 teams don't come here, despite our lovely summers (although this one has been rather different).

Add to that not many Australian tracks are up to any sort of international standard regarding safety (some tracks, really, are quite pathetic) and it just adds up to why teams only come to Albert Park.
Old 25 Feb 2002, 01:07 (Ref:222092)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
could you imagine a team getting all the way to oz.stuffing it on the first lap and having to go home again as they didn't have the parts to repair the car!!
The secret is to set up a mobile workshop here in oz. Alice seems to be the most suitable venue as it has an airport that rivals the best International terminals in the world, and a superb track already exists. Cars could just head north towards Darwin, be there in a couple of hours of testing, pull into the pub there for a couple of quick beers while the crew refuel, and then head back to Alice.
Also, for a minimum outlay, a test track can easily be laid around Mt Ulurru, which affords superb spectator facilities, and which I might add is the venue for the 2004 World Extreme Games featuring the best skateboard riders, in-line skaters and bike riders. We may as well kill three birds with one stone, so to say, and those Emus are real easy to hit.
Old 25 Feb 2002, 01:11 (Ref:222095)   #12
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the thought that Australia has a Winter Olympics Site...
Old 25 Feb 2002, 01:23 (Ref:222099)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
You havn't been watching The Ice Dream by Roy and HG, have you? Even Jacques Rogge is a keen supporter although the participation of His Excellency Sir Kevin Gosper has not been confirmed.
Old 25 Feb 2002, 11:38 (Ref:222235)   #14
Aussiefan

Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce

The secret is to set up a mobile workshop here in oz. Alice seems to be the most suitable venue as it has an airport that rivals the best International terminals in the world, and a superb track already exists. Cars could just head north towards Darwin, be there in a couple of hours of testing, pull into the pub there for a couple of quick beers while the crew refuel, and then head back to Alice.
Also, for a minimum outlay, a test track can easily be laid around Mt Ulurru, which affords superb spectator facilities, and which I might add is the venue for the 2004 World Extreme Games featuring the best skateboard riders, in-line skaters and bike riders. We may as well kill three birds with one stone, so to say, and those Emus are real easy to hit.

I'd support that!

Weren't a couple of teams considering coming out to Australia a few years ago before Melbourne to test (BAR at Phillip Island??)

Old 26 Feb 2002, 05:36 (Ref:222708)   #15
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well the bikes always come down here to test at phillip island and eastern creek , so why not the cars ???

ok the cost is very big , but what isnt in F1 ???

I would like to see it , but what tracks could they run at ???

Albert park is out of the question , as is Adelaide , and Im quite sure an F1 car around Phillip Island would be quite deadly, eastern creek could be a good choice and in fact a few japanese f3000 teams have tested there in the past.
It could be done if they got the logistics right and didnt have major problems and to fine tune their cars here just before the melbourne GP would be a good idea.

I like it valve Bounce
Old 26 Feb 2002, 06:45 (Ref:222720)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually Phillip Island nearly got it's testing lisence a few years back and teams were going to come out and test, but something happened at the last minute and it was cancelled.

I think even if they could they wouldn't, they need to be as close as possible to home base to enable quick changes and development to be done. eg...Jag this year.
Old 26 Feb 2002, 07:13 (Ref:222726)   #17
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
OK, let's be serious for a change. (No really , I'm trying very hard). Lakeside would have been perfect because it had everything except a long straight. However, I'm told the bloody thing is sold.
The point is, it is not expensive, contrary to what everyone thinks. Look at it this way - what the heck is the point in going to Europe if it is snowing, or is bloody freezing. US$100,000 for one single day at Vairano only to find it is foggy and totally useless, is expensive. The teams can send a good mobile workshop here in a couple of 40 foot containers each, and additional engines can be air freighted out. Air fares would be less if the cars came here for testing in January-Feb, and stayed for the race starting end of Feb, after which they would be shipped directly to South America. What I am trying to say is that much of the tests in cold conditions would be less meaningful because the tyres would behave quite differently.
I don't understand why Philip Island would be deadly for F1 cars than for bikes, but I will leave that explanation for Marcus. I thought it would be perfect.
Old 26 Feb 2002, 07:18 (Ref:222727)   #18
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
Actually Phillip Island nearly got it's testing lisence a few years back and teams were going to come out and test, but something happened at the last minute and it was cancelled.

I think even if they could they wouldn't, they need to be as close as possible to home base to enable quick changes and development to be done. eg...Jag this year.
Actually, Philip Island is very close to the sea, and it would have been much simpler to dump the Jag straight into the sea from there.
Old 26 Feb 2002, 08:47 (Ref:222745)   #19
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the thought that Australia has a Winter Olympics Site...
Smiggens Holes is just down the road and it has everything needed for the 2010 Winter Olympics, First class all the way! One of the best bobsled runs in the world, I am surprised that the world dosen't know more about the Holes!
Old 26 Feb 2002, 09:59 (Ref:222776)   #20
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well , what i meant valve Bounce is simply Phillip island is a way fast circuit , which is great for high speed tedting of an F1 car.
and I would think ( and I must admit ive never been there) that the run off is sub standard for F1 cars ...I mean look at some of the shunts the V8 supercars have had there in recent years and f1's are way faster than them , but of course i could be wrong about it all and it would be perfect , just my thoughts thats all and I whole heartedly support the idea.
Old 26 Feb 2002, 10:10 (Ref:222782)   #21
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Morris 1100
Smiggens Holes is just down the road and it has everything needed for the 2010 Winter Olympics, First class all the way! One of the best bobsled runs in the world, I am surprised that the world dosen't know more about the Holes!
AND if the State Park approves the plan to raise the mountainanother 300 metres ( just a rubber stamp approval really), we could have a downhill track at Smiggins that would rival Val d'Isere's. Of course we would need to have Steven Bradbury design the run properly.
And His Excellency Sir Kevein Gosper could arrange to have both his children bless the course with a joint inaugural run. ahead of Zalli Steggle.