Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 May 2012, 01:55 (Ref:3073408)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Homebush... Gone....!!!

Story Here

Now while the McKay household might be jumping with joy, this is a very bad call... Mr McKay's Story Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
Despite being the highest drawing sporting event in NSW last year, V8 powerbrokers have given up on Homebush following talks with State Government officials.
And the Homebush precinct again becomes home to tumbleweeds for 49 weekends a year

Bad bad call...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 May 2012, 02:49 (Ref:3073427)   #2
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Still, it IS a James Phelps story and he is not well known for his accuracy (something that he shares with Mr McKay).

Further down in the story the quotes suggest that Homebush is a 50/50 proposition so we wait and see I guess.
Old 13 May 2012, 03:16 (Ref:3073435)   #3
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post

Further down in the story the quotes suggest that Homebush is a 50/50 proposition so we wait and see I guess.
The whole story sounds like a concerted attempt to blackmail the government to make a decision that keeps the status quo in play and gives the promoter an extra million in funding to help the P&L line. I have two problems with that..

If it is such a good thing then the promoter does not need extra money

The decision is not 50/50 as stated and TC is using public lobbying and fora like these to try and influence the decision

In fact I think that the decision will have been made back when the EC improvement program was given the go ahead and was one of the prime reasons it was given the go ahead. The government always wanted Homebush as a motor race gone and one of the legitimate ways to do that so the promoters could not argue was to improve EC and tell them that they had a track so they had better go and use it.

TC of course has had his favorite rattle taken away from him so he throws a tantrum and takes a leaf out of Eccletone's book and decides to do some lobbying/blackmail by media which is never a good thing as politicians never react well to that sort of thing.

I have a question as I haven't been out to EC this year, has the new circuit resolved any problems for the spectators so they can see more?
Old 13 May 2012, 05:50 (Ref:3073450)   #4
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank goodness, street races dying a natural death, you can only move the deck chairs on the Titanic so many times.
Old 13 May 2012, 06:19 (Ref:3073452)   #5
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
this is a very bad call
In what context, is it a bad call?

Quote:
And the Homebush precinct again becomes home to tumbleweeds for 49 weekends a year
Is this actually a big deal to people who live in the area, or Sydney as a whole? The precinct was developed to serve one purpose, that happened 12 years ago. The fact other sports or entities try to take advantage of the remnants is merely incidental.

If the "event" goes, is anyone going to really miss it? The track was overrated , the event was overrated, the notion of a "Grand Finale" was overrated (European soccer leagues have a longer off-season).
Old 13 May 2012, 06:25 (Ref:3073453)   #6
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't blame either the Queensland or NSW governments pulling the funding from the Sydney or GC rounds. Both are trying to save money, pulling funding from all kind of events.
The truth to the matter is neither event has any luster, particularly the Gold Coast event which is barely a shadow of its former self, no matter what the V8s say.
We will just wait to see if the ball sports suffer the same as the arts and motorsport is and may do under the state governments.
Old 13 May 2012, 07:01 (Ref:3073462)   #7
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Bad bad call...
I'm sure the businesses based in there wouldn't attest to there being any 'tumbleweeds' floating around..... and if there are tumbleweeds still floating around, then the V8 race hasn't really done much for Homebush then has it, so why wouldn't it be scrapped??

one less street and a good chance of another permanent circuit being added to the calendar (Eastern Creek)....Good good call
Old 13 May 2012, 08:17 (Ref:3073485)   #8
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=GTRMagic;3073408

Bad bad call...[/QUOTE]

Umm, while Im all for a Homebush race, Im wondering which 49 weekends of the year you're talking about? The Royal Easter Show, the NRL GF, the Soundwave Music festival (huge), Big Day Out (huge) Endless Summer Music festival, State of Origin (granted not a weekend), a myriad of music concerts, NRL most weekends, AFL as well, Motorex. Point is, it aint no ghost town...
Old 13 May 2012, 08:25 (Ref:3073491)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From The Daily Telegraph Editor, Neil Breen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
Get with the Homebush program
The Sunday Telegraph
May 13, 2012 12:00AM

IF Premier Barry O'Farrell wants to make good on his promise to make NSW number one for events, he has to grasp the importance of Homebush.

NSW is about to lose the Sydney 500 V8 supercar race, with organisers fearing Queensland or another country is about to snatch the event away -- just as Victoria is attempting to grab a State of Origin game.

The 3.4km race that winds its way around Sydney Olympic Park with top speeds of 248km/h was the highest-drawing sporting event in NSW last year.

It is just one of the vibrant exciting events enlivening Sydney Olympic Park at Homebush, which is close to the geographical centre of the city and, unlike much of Sydney, is serviced by first-class public transport.

The people of NSW have fallen in love with Homebush, despite predictions during the 2000 Olympics that it was doomed to be a white elephant.

It's the chosen venue for this weekend's Prince concerts. It is a venue that suits anything from music to sport to the Royal Easter Show, which has blossomed at Homebush despite the warnings of doomsayers when it left the city.

It's been the very comfortable home of the Sydney 500 V8 supercar race since 2009, attracting more than half a million spectators in that time.

So why isn't NSW fighting to keep the V8s at Homebush beyond the five-year contract's expiration?

It drew 172,000 spectators last year. Surely that figure alone is enough to guarantee the V8s' future at Homebush. Petrolheads from around the nation love it.

The local frogs and environmentalists might not like the noise -- but that is why Homebush was built as a discreet, contained site. The whole point was to create a site where noisy, smelly, boisterous events could be held at a safe distance from residential areas.

It's said Mr O'Farrell has reservations about the event because the Sydney 500 was secured by the disgraced Labor minister Ian MacDonald. Maybe the Premier doesn't like the smell of burning rubber and the roar of engines.

It's time to stop and smell the petrol. Homebush should be the home of Australia's premier events.
That's not from James Phelps...
Old 13 May 2012, 08:42 (Ref:3073500)   #10
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Shane001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
the highest-drawing sporting event in NSW last year.

It drew 172,000 spectators last year.[/url]
Someone needs to point out to these journalists that this is gate numbers over 3 or 4 days, with most of these repeat attendees. So divide that figure by at least 3 to get to the real number of actual individual attendees. Not too mention the other methods used to inflate this figure.

I'm not anti Homebush, but I am anti spending millions of dollars on a venue that very few people get to use for only a few days a year, versus spending that money on somewhere like Eastern Creek where anyone can gain benefit from 365 days a year!
Old 13 May 2012, 08:50 (Ref:3073503)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Are there racing events on at Eastern Creek, featuring V8Supercars, 365 days of the year?
Old 13 May 2012, 09:09 (Ref:3073509)   #12
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Are there racing events on at Eastern Creek, featuring V8Supercars, 365 days of the year?
No there's not! So what?

So what you're saying is you just want the government to spend millions of dollars so you can watch V8's once a year at a temporary track that no one else gets any benefit out of vs spending millions of dollars on a facility that everyone can use including V8 supercars once a year for you to watch!

Nuf said....
Old 13 May 2012, 09:29 (Ref:3073523)   #13
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EC is a garbage filled stinking hell hole with no public transport to speak of. The amenities at Homebush were just fantastic and it would be a shame to see it go.
Old 13 May 2012, 10:13 (Ref:3073541)   #14
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
EC is a garbage filled stinking hell hole with no public transport to speak of.
Which provides a facility 365 days a year for everything from bicycle races to concerts to motorsport events at all levels, as well as V8 super car fans.

Maybe some of the many millions spent on Homebush could have been spent on better transport access to EC
Old 13 May 2012, 10:47 (Ref:3073566)   #15
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
glad i was sitting down when i read Mr McKays words: "fans and the circus alike will be hoping for a repeat of the stunning racing in Perth last weekend"

while i'm all for Homebush as a racing venue, as a spectator it is absolutely rubbish unless you have a grandstand ticket. If they opened up the grass hill after turn one on the outside of the track, or let people stand within the carpark inside of turn 6, just somewhere you can see something if your not 8 feet tall

Last edited by Axeman444; 13 May 2012 at 10:54.
Old 13 May 2012, 10:50 (Ref:3073570)   #16
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Homebush deal was done by the previous state government and the disgraced former minister Ian McDonald amidst criticism from the O'Farrell opposition. There have been calls for an ICAC inquiry as the dealings may have not been as proper as they should.

It has long been Barry O'Farrell's stated position that his government would be unlikely to renew the Homebush deal and if V8$A are losing money on the event they will want out, it's just a PR game of trying to blame the event's demise on the government. They would probably be quite happy if the government offerred to pay them out ala Canberra and this year's event be the last.

After all there are all the much talked about overseas options to take it place on the calendar.
Old 13 May 2012, 10:55 (Ref:3073574)   #17
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Totally agree Anthony, though the threats of taking it overseas I think are a bluff lol!
Old 13 May 2012, 12:47 (Ref:3073628)   #18
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Keen you hear why you think this is a bad idea GTR?

For an event that loses money and hasnt hit any of the objectives why this is such a bad move?

Also why you seem to have an assumption that SOP is tumbleweeds when the v8's arent there??? Do you have any knowledge of what actually goes on there?
Old 13 May 2012, 13:47 (Ref:3073651)   #19
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well not surprised. People in Sydney are poor about supporting any sports or events, Olympics aside.

However I don't believe governments should be funding such events with the exception of helping out with government services in exchange for the revenue such races bring to an area. I just do not believe governments need to be in business on the hook for such events. Private citizens and organizations need to be running such things.

To me from what I could see is the track itself is not all that great. I do love street races, but they have to be in areas with decent streets that make a good track.
Old 13 May 2012, 14:00 (Ref:3073667)   #20
pug205
Rookie

pug205 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodbye Homebush! Glad to see the back of ya! It is a race that represents everything that is wrong with the way VESA goes racing these days.
Old 13 May 2012, 14:51 (Ref:3073739)   #21
Morris Dancer
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Morris Dancer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crikey, don't cross TC or you'll get a horse's head in your bed.
Old 13 May 2012, 14:52 (Ref:3073740)   #22
Morris Dancer
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Morris Dancer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Well not surprised. People in Sydney are poor about supporting any sports or events, Olympics aside.
That isn't true. Plenty of people turn up to the gay mardis gras ...
Old 13 May 2012, 15:50 (Ref:3073794)   #23
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Don't let me stop you, please elaborate. I think you need to have a more realistic view of where V8's actually sit in the sporting entertainment of this country before making comments of that nature. That is if I interpret your comments correctly but please tell me if I am wrong.
Old 13 May 2012, 21:47 (Ref:3074028)   #24
Speedwayracer44
Rookie

Speedwayracer44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
I'm sure the businesses based in there wouldn't attest to there being any 'tumbleweeds' floating around..... and if there are tumbleweeds still floating around, then the V8 race hasn't really done much for Homebush then has it, so why wouldn't it be scrapped??

one less street and a good chance of another permanent circuit being added to the calendar (Eastern Creek)....Good good call
I agree here, the only winners out of a street race are V8SC. The cost to do these events on local and state government is enormous, just look at Hamilton, 37 million over 5 years. Townsville will be next after they find out how much it has cost. Stick some of these cost savings back into a permanent facility so we can all use it and get a better service and product from them.
Old 13 May 2012, 23:06 (Ref:3074065)   #25
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
They'd have to build a new, FIA Grade 2 circuit to replace Townsville, which would easily cost $100-150 million just for the track and its facilities.