Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 1 Oct 2001, 15:29 (Ref:154282)   #1
Gonzalo
Rookie

Gonzalo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Emeron Sport Car

Does anybody know anything about a car from 1968 called Emeron who was entered at Le Mans, Spa and Nurburgring during 1968 World Championship. Drivers were Peter Clarke, Lance Webber & Laurie Goodwin any help finding the drivers will be also welcome.Thanks.
Old 1 Oct 2001, 17:55 (Ref:154383)   #2
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry but cannot find car nor drivers in the 1968 starting order. I have assumed it was the 24hr race.

Where did you get the info from?

Simon
Old 1 Oct 2001, 18:33 (Ref:154396)   #3
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SL
Sorry but cannot find car nor drivers in the 1968 starting order. I have assumed it was the 24hr race.

Where did you get the info from?

Simon
I found all three entries, but that's all they were.

The Le Mans entry was apparently refused, while at Spa and the Ring it was either DNA or DNS. All three say it was Ford-engined, but I have to confess I've never heard of the Emeron before.

Just an outside chance: might this be a confusion with an EMERY or EMERYSON? Paul Emery, builder of the Emeryson, produced some Emery GTs in the mid-60s. My vague sources say that some were Ford-engined, some Imp-engined - I've no details I'm afraid.
Old 7 Oct 2001, 14:56 (Ref:157109)   #4
Felix Muelas
Rookie

Felix Muelas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One more step?

Sharing sources with Vitesse means that I can add nothing else. BUT according to Janos Wimpffen´s "Time and Two Seats", the car was actually called "Emeron Lotus-Ford".
Maybe that´s a clue, not sure
Felix
Old 7 Oct 2001, 22:34 (Ref:157257)   #5
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Felix: IIRC that Lotus-Ford designation was used fairly indiscriminately to describe the Cosworth FVA (or possibly the FVC - wasn't that the sports car version of the engine?). My references came from here:

http://www.wspr-racing.com/results/wscc/ms1968.html#6

where the Emeron appears in the entry list only section. Two other cars also apparently have Lotus-Ford engines ....:confused: So did Janos copy Martin Krejci or vice versa?

I think the Lotus reference is tied in to the Lotus Cortina, as the Cortina block was the basis of the FVA - I might be wrong though.
Old 8 Oct 2001, 18:51 (Ref:157609)   #6
Roger Clark
Rookie

Roger Clark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think I've ever seen the FVA or FVC Cosworth engines listed as Lotus Fords; I assume that the Lotus-ford engines in the Nurburgring 1000kms entry list are the older twin-cams. I can't find anything about the Emeron, but I know that Peter Clarke (I assume it was the same one) drove a Lotus 47 in that race. Martin's website says it was a Europa which wasn't the same thing at all.
Old 8 Oct 2001, 19:24 (Ref:157645)   #7
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Roger: you may be right about the twin-cam, but I'm fairly certain I have seen the designation applied to FVAs or FVCs.

But the 47 was essentially the same as the Europa. Officially the production Europa was the Lotus 46 (Renault engined I think) and the Cosworth-engined competition version was the Lotus 47, but the Europa name was used for both (probably incorrectly in the case of the 47, but it happened anyway). The Lotus 62 was also described as the Europa Mk2.
Old 8 Oct 2001, 23:07 (Ref:157828)   #8
Roger Clark
Rookie

Roger Clark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Compared with the 46, the 47 had a different desing of the backbone chassis, different rear suspension and brakes, and a Hewland gearbox as well as the Lotus twin-cam engine. The 62 differed even more, having a tubular chassis. I can't remember it being called the eusropa Mark 2, but I could be wrong.

However, none of this helps us find the Emeron. The name is interesting; it sound like a composite of two surnames, in the way that Cosworth is.
Old 8 Oct 2001, 23:45 (Ref:157842)   #9
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Just to finish off the OT bit; a list of Lotus type numbers, based on Lotus records - see also the Lotus 52, 54, 65 & 74:

http://www.lotuscarclub.org/ltdtype.htm

And now back to the Emeron ....

Last edited by Vitesse; 8 Oct 2001 at 23:49.