Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 May 2010, 15:52 (Ref:2689853)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Autosport 3 Hours (HSCC), Snetterton, 5/6 June

For me this is one of the big meetings of the year despite being at the unfashionable Snet (why is that?). Anyway, I like it so much that I actually put a Trophy up for the first 1600cc sports racer home.

In this week's Autosport (pg 76-81), there's an excellent and well researched piece by Kev's editorial assistant, Ben Anderson, who track tested 4 of the Guards Trophy cars for this event recently. In fact, Ben impressed Michael Schryver and Simon Hadfield sufficiently, for Michael to offer him a drive in the 3 hours in his B6 (Simon is Monza bound that weekend). It's not a bad drive to land is it, in a car that has won this event twice already, although my money would probably be on the Hales/Shipman Crossle ..... if it holds together!

Anyway, although we are losing a few drivers to Monza, it's still going to be a great event, with plenty of other great supporting races over the weekend. Make it a date. I'm really looking forward to it.

Incidentally, Ben also talks up the historic racing scene both in the above article and in his 'Racers Diary' (pg 119), so with the National section of Autosport editorially in the hands of Kev, Ben and Marcus, all historic racing aficionados, you can be certain that the mag carries as much historic racing stuff as space constraints allow. In Kev and the now converted Ben, we have a pair of youngsters genuinely interested in Historic racing, so buy the mag, at least for this week, to show your support!! I'll now slap my own wrists for plugging the mag, but if you can get there, go to the 3 hour event, anyway!

So, who of our Ten Tenther's are entered for either the main event or the supporting races?

Last edited by John Turner; 14 May 2010 at 07:20. Reason: Spotted a spelling mistake!
Old 13 May 2010, 16:07 (Ref:2689859)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
We were going to Monza for CER but now Geoff Lister will use our entry and be there in T70 which will allow Gareth Burnett with Alex Ames to use B8 at Snett.
Be interesting but whoever beats the B6 will win as they are favourites.
Old 13 May 2010, 16:23 (Ref:2689862)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John, no pressure on Michael and Ben, then; sounds like a bit of gamesmanship! We don't even know how quick Ben is going to go (well actually, I do!!).

Anyway is your B8 the car that you sold to the Cottingham Bros and which won last year's 3 hours in their hands? Have you bought it back? I reckon that Gareth and Alex could be well up there!
Old 13 May 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2689868)   #4
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Seem to be in business of buying my old cars back!
Needs a run out before Le Mans so Snet seems a good idea for a test as we were reserves for Silverstone .
Done very little to it since it returned to the fold so not expecting much.
Adrian VDK will be at Monza so the Merlyn will stay at home.
Old 13 May 2010, 21:56 (Ref:2690033)   #5
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shame about the date change and subsequent clash. We have done well at the 3 Hour in the Elva and were really looking forward to it again but had decided on Monza and then the date change came. A real shame.
Old 14 May 2010, 04:44 (Ref:2690144)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
With three big events on same weekend will be interesting to see if 3hr race itself has full grid.

Hopefully will be taking part as Suzanne has put an entry in again for her MGB with James and myself sharing the drive. Fingers crossed the weather will be good and the car is as reliable as last year and it will be another very enjoyable day!

And the drive home is a bit easier than from Monza

John, I'm sure that Kevin and Ben's increasing interest in Historics has been inluenced by your enthusiasm, so thanks!
Old 14 May 2010, 07:04 (Ref:2690169)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
we are taking both Turners Merlyn stays at home - looking forward to it and although I live a long way from Snett its an easy journey for me and an opportunity to see and stay with a very old family friend
Old 15 May 2010, 16:37 (Ref:2690978)   #8
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My Formula Junior is there on the Sunday with Michael Ashley-Brown driving. Sadly Iain is away in Italy. Cannot think why he prefers to go to Monza when he could have been at Snetterton.
Old 15 May 2010, 20:39 (Ref:2691119)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
My Formula Junior is there on the Sunday with Michael Ashley-Brown driving. Sadly Iain is away in Italy. Cannot think why he prefers to go to Monza when he could have been at Snetterton.
foolish boy, regarder le Terroir
Old 17 May 2010, 10:44 (Ref:2692395)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
JR continues to wind Michael Schryver up about being the favourite for the 3 hours, but since John's B8 is the car that won last year in the hands of the Cottingham Bros. and that Gareth Burnett and Alex Ames are driving it, I'm reckoning that is also likely to be a front runner. JR reckons that he does not know how quick Mr Ames is but a certain Mr Hadfield tells me that he is a handy pedaller, so you are rumbled, John! So we have a B6, a B8, and a Crossle 7S as three of the main protaganists. I haven't seen the entry list although Chris Sharples told me on Saturday that there were at least 38 entries already, so who else is in with a shout for outright honours? Is Andy Newall entered in which case, with a decent co-driver he'll be thereabouts? And what about the Dodd Ginetta G16 - is that entered? Unfortunately Stuart Tizzard tells me that his Lenham Spyder is 'sans' engine so isn't entered which is a great shame. Comments?

Last edited by John Turner; 17 May 2010 at 14:10.
Old 17 May 2010, 14:22 (Ref:2692575)   #11
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Andy Newalls man is at Monza.
An unfortunate clash of dates.
Old 17 May 2010, 14:32 (Ref:2692585)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
for him not you!!!
Old 17 May 2010, 14:37 (Ref:2692591)   #13
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

I suggested Andy borrowed car for weekend as I wanted to see how much lower they could get it!
Old 17 May 2010, 15:28 (Ref:2692606)   #14
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

You have also missed the point John that Alex Ames dad runs the Crossle so we are not allowed to do well.
We have to play with our car get it race ready although the Cottingham gang looked after it whilst it was in their possession.Keep buying my old cars back!
Old 17 May 2010, 15:32 (Ref:2692612)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

dont worry about the Crossle - its always 50/50 that it finishes.... As the fastest motoring journalist in the world must know - to finish first.....
Old 17 May 2010, 16:05 (Ref:2692631)   #16
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
dont worry about the Crossle - its always 50/50 that it finishes.... As the fastest motoring journalist in the world must know - to finish first.....

.....you must have at least a 50% chance of finishing.
Old 17 May 2010, 16:07 (Ref:2692634)   #17
simon drabble
Veteran

some prove the 50/50 stat more than others...
Old 17 May 2010, 16:55 (Ref:2692672)   #18
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
thats very generous odds SiImon, you'd have thought a new car would be more reliable
Old 17 May 2010, 18:34 (Ref:2692742)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
You have also missed the point John that Alex Ames dad runs the Crossle so we are not allowed to do well.
Yes, but he'd want his boy to do well! A foot in both camps, as it were!
Old 17 May 2010, 20:53 (Ref:2692830)   #20
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=John Turner;2689853]For me this is one of the big meetings of the year despite being at the unfashionable Snet (why is that?).

Unfashionable Snet? John!!

The circuit where all things good and great are developed - not just cars but events, such as the Autosport 3hr (original and reborn), Formula Ford Festival, 24hr races, Britcar, the 360 Motor Club 6hr and many many more plus remember it is one of the warmest, dryest and most friendly staffed circuits in the land!!

Anyway it will be, as John says, a great meeting, not long to go now and hope to catch up with you all during the weekend! Although I sure most of you will be trying to avoid me!

Mike - look foward to meeting up with Team North Walsham too!

Terry
Old 18 May 2010, 04:49 (Ref:2693036)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes,well----------------------------------
Old 18 May 2010, 04:50 (Ref:2693037)   #22
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Scannell View Post
Mike - look foward to meeting up with Team North Walsham too!

Terry
Thanks, Terry! We are looking forward to the event and catching up with you and team (socially ).
Old 18 May 2010, 09:12 (Ref:2693130)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Scannell View Post
Unfashionable Snet? John!!

The circuit where all things good and great are developed - not just cars but events, such as the Autosport 3hr (original and reborn), Formula Ford Festival, 24hr races, Britcar, the 360 Motor Club 6hr and many many more plus remember it is one of the warmest, dryest and most friendly staffed circuits in the land!! Terry
Terry, I agree with you but a lot of drivers and spectators don't, and I still don't really understand why. I think it's great. A good combination of straights and curves and plenty of places to view from without all that high fencing you get at certain circuits.
Old 18 May 2010, 16:43 (Ref:2693417)   #24
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Sitting in the sun last year ,watching the antics of some of the drivers at Richies,checking who was quickest up the hill towards the pits,(good way to find who has the strongest engine)all for 15 quid and not having a car in the race, perfect day.
Nothing wrong with Snett.
Old 19 May 2010, 08:06 (Ref:2693839)   #25
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entered