Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Feb 2014, 21:28 (Ref:3372178)   #1
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Advertising….289 hi-po

Mods please remove if felt a blatant ad but needs must.

A good friend of mine is selling up due to a life change in his personal circumstances. One of his prized possessions is a proper 65 hippo 289 engine and T10. It was built a good few years ago and I am informed that it is 10's and 20's on crank and 20 bore. It is as such a proper and very useable 65 hipo needing a proper home

If anyone is seriously interested then mail me off line so as not to offend any users. please however don't expect it to be a bargain..for what it is though and what a fully built race engine costs it certainly isn't expensive.

It hasn't been built as a race engine but doubtless someone searching for a proper Fia compliant power plant will know exactly what they are looking for.

Cheers
Neil.

Last edited by MagnetON; 26 Feb 2014 at 08:36. Reason: Mods, I'm happy to leave this in place.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 08:11 (Ref:3372280)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
if this is the one on Ebay he is asking a kings ransom for it... however perhaps more interetsing is the TVR Grantura he is selling with it - it had a Daimler v8 engine from new. Is that a one off?
Old 26 Feb 2014, 18:03 (Ref:3372427)   #3
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think he was going to sell with the Daimler car but likely as not the daimler car will be re-built as an Fia 1800s when someone parts with the cash. The engine realistically is around 6k which in the real world is expensive for a small block 302 but for a genuine k code 65 year 289 with lots of life in it to go in an fia car etc…..really rather cheap…

Anyone who plays with fia small blocks will know this all too well.

The daimler car similarly has a very interesting story owned from new and built with the Daimler engine and is actually not expensive when compared to the thinly disguised basket cases that are being touted around these days..

All in all i am Sure steve would sooner be in a state of health where he would not need to realise his assets..but as is the well known phrase..everything must go.

N.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 18:12 (Ref:3372428)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I sincerely hope that whoever buys the TVR keeps the Daimler engine in it. Never knew such a beast existed!

Old 26 Feb 2014, 20:20 (Ref:3372466)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry to hear the circumstances. I think I must have misread the cost of the engine and agree it is not crazy money but I know to my cost selling engines is a tough business.

Like mike I hope someone has the vision to keep the Daimler engine with the car, unique piece of history and it would be a shame to butcher it to become yet another FIA car
Old 27 Feb 2014, 13:38 (Ref:3372743)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I sincerely hope that whoever buys the TVR keeps the Daimler engine in it. Never knew such a beast existed!

Too right Mike; it would be a travesty to replace that engine if it was an original fitment.

Like Simon, I wish to express my sympathy with the seller for the regrettable reasons for disposal.