Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Dec 2023, 10:59 (Ref:4188327)   #626
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
True - and any team that wishes to sell, gift, lease, assign or loan their TBL can only do so on a season-long basis and it is subject to the approval of TOCA as to the integrity of both recipient and transaction.

Plus, of course, there is also the matter of TOCA penalising a team/driver if there are multiple changes of driver.

In my opinion, not that that means a lot, the value of a TBL as an asset is only a theoretical amount, much in the same way as "goodwill" is an asset to a company; it's only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. And if no-one wants to field a team, then it's value is zero.
Old 5 Dec 2023, 11:17 (Ref:4188330)   #627
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Plus, of course, there is also the matter of TOCA penalising a team/driver if there are multiple changes of driver.

In my opinion, not that that means a lot, the value of a TBL as an asset is only a theoretical amount, much in the same way as "goodwill" is an asset to a company; it's only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. And if no-one wants to field a team, then it's value is zero.
So true but on the other side a process to establish a value has to be followed in all probability
Old 5 Dec 2023, 14:01 (Ref:4188341)   #628
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

The value of any asset is subject to market conditions (supply vs demand) - of which a TBL is subject to huge fluctuations. The same is seen in F1, as there is a firm entry barrier (ie TBL or championship entry) in place. It would be classed as a non-tangible asset.
Old 5 Dec 2023, 14:06 (Ref:4188342)   #629
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
The value of any asset is subject to market conditions (supply vs demand) - of which a TBL is subject to huge fluctuations. The same is seen in F1, as there is a firm entry barrier (ie TBL or championship entry) in place. It would be classed as a non-tangible asset.

I really don't know whether you are agreeing with me or not, but I had already mentioned an intangible asset, i.e. goodwill.
Old 5 Dec 2023, 17:00 (Ref:4188359)   #630
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cars are worthless without a TBL.
Hard have tried to race NGTC elsewhere (ex-Ciceley Mercs, Ex AmD Audi,) as has Rob Austin with the Audi's without success. Dynamics managed it with the 2012 title winning Civic.
It makes you wonder how much value they have in terms of being sold on to clear debt with and without a TBL.
It's not like anybody has been able to shift the VW Passats (no not CC)!! apart from the one ATS got.

I assume that if there is another party expressing interest in buying three cars there must be bartering.
Old 6 Dec 2023, 12:45 (Ref:4188428)   #631
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Motorsport News this week reporting that TOCA were in discussion with Silverstone to run a non-championship race at the 2024 British GP but couldn't get it to fit in the available timetable. Now looking at 2025. Gow saying that teams reacted positively to the idea. Very early stages so far but likely to be on the Friday if it happens.
Old 6 Dec 2023, 12:55 (Ref:4188432)   #632
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Motorsport News this week reporting that TOCA were in discussion with Silverstone to run a non-championship race at the 2024 British GP but couldn't get it to fit in the available timetable. Now looking at 2025. Gow saying that teams reacted positively to the idea. Very early stages so far but likely to be on the Friday if it happens.
Wow, that would be amazing, hope they can pull it off! I guess if it’s just the one race it would be a longer one like the Snetterton one.
Old 6 Dec 2023, 13:08 (Ref:4188436)   #633
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It won't happen, for many of the same reasons it didn't in 2004. Particularly on a Friday. I struggle to see what the BTCC is even supposed to gain from a Friday event, not much prestige there. If they could get their old slot straight after the Grand Prix finishes it might be worthwhile, but it's been a long time any races have followed the GP, even before it moved to it's later 3pm start time.
Old 6 Dec 2023, 13:59 (Ref:4188441)   #634
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also, subtle point but the piece regarding TBLs in MN states, "Ahead of uncertainty regarding the future of some of the teams."

Maybe implying it isn't as simple as Team HARD and needing to reallocate those licenses.
Old 6 Dec 2023, 14:00 (Ref:4188442)   #635
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Wow, that would be amazing, hope they can pull it off! I guess if it’s just the one race it would be a longer one like the Snetterton one.
Not very likely- look at V8's they are down to 15 min thrashes. Also if its on Friday presumably BTCC passes wouldn't work on Sat/Sun so where is the value?
Old 6 Dec 2023, 14:03 (Ref:4188444)   #636
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
Also, subtle point but the piece regarding TBLs in MN states, "Ahead of uncertainty regarding the future of some of the teams."

Maybe implying it isn't as simple as Team HARD and needing to reallocate those licenses.
they ran their cars under three team names this year
Old 6 Dec 2023, 14:08 (Ref:4188446)   #637
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
It won't happen... If they could get their old slot straight after the Grand Prix finishes it might be worthwhile, but it's been a long time any races have followed the GP, even before it moved to it's later 3pm start time.
I rarely watch F1 these days and when I do I've switched off long before the podium but do they still allow spectators onto the track to watch the podium presentation? If so then any track activity after the GP is out of the question.

From the MN story it sounds like TOCA were looking for a Sat and/or Sun race but F2/F3/SuperCup already have that filled. It's Fri or nothing.

Agree with you though, I don't see it happening, and with zero TV coverage I don't see the point either.
Old 6 Dec 2023, 14:16 (Ref:4188447)   #638
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I rarely watch F1 these days and when I do I've switched off long before the podium but do they still allow spectators onto the track to watch the podium presentation? If so then any track activity after the GP is out of the question.

From the MN story it sounds like TOCA were looking for a Sat and/or Sun race but F2/F3/SuperCup already have that filled. It's Fri or nothing.

Agree with you though, I don't see it happening, and with zero TV coverage I don't see the point either.
Spectators are allowed onto the track post-GP - so no races at this point are possible. The other issue is that, based on recent, years the GP has a fairly busy timetable on the Friday, so I would imagine that any BTCC race would take place quite late in the evening (recent years have seen the Porsche Supercup qualifying end at about 18.30 - with VIP laps, etc following thereafter).

I can't imagine that the permanent support races would move their sessions to facilitate a BTCC race. So, like others, aside from the potential kudos of being able to tell people it is on the F1 bill; I don't see the benefits of a BTCC race at the GP.
Old 6 Dec 2023, 14:41 (Ref:4188451)   #639
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with the points already made on here - I also can't see the British GP support race idea ever coming to fruition. Timetabling at the British GP in recent years has been a mess and I wonder what they would realistically get out of a likely early morning qualifying session and a race in the evening on a Friday. From a fan's perspective there's also the fact that it wouldn't be televised.

The only benefit I could see is that numerous drivers and teams could profit out of sponsors/backers wanting the excitement of being at Silverstone on British GP weekend.
Old 6 Dec 2023, 16:43 (Ref:4188458)   #640
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I can't see the BTCC returning as a British Grand Prix support race either for all of the reasons others have already mentioned.
(Sad really when when I used to attend The GP, the Saloons & Historic's had races AFTER the Grand Prix to keep people at the event longer and allow those who only went to watch the glory race to leave earlier and therefor spreading the traffic flow out of Brands Hatch or Silverstone over a longer time to reduce the jams!)
Old 6 Dec 2023, 17:48 (Ref:4188463)   #641
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the article Gow states the 100,000 Friday crowd number as a big showcase number. I think it's lower, but still bigger than any BTCC crowd. Silverstone have also stated in the recent past that they'd like some Thursday track action.

If they could get a practice and qualifying on a Thursday afternoon before the Sky F1 live TV show thing and two 15 minute races on a Friday then it would work.

Is it any different from the likes of Mini Se7en, Caterham, Legends paying extra to be on the BTCC bill? Okay, it's be a bit on the expensive in terms of upping the budget for a season, but if you can sell British GP access and exposure (Even delayed TV Coverage) as part of a season package it could make it easier for drivers to raise a budget, and for those who don't there'll be drivers from other areas who'd have the funds for the one race.
Old 6 Dec 2023, 19:03 (Ref:4188471)   #642
cameronpoe
Rookie

cameronpoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcameronpoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
In the article Gow states the 100,000 Friday crowd number as a big showcase number. I think it's lower, but still bigger than any BTCC crowd. Silverstone have also stated in the recent past that they'd like some Thursday track action.

If they could get a practice and qualifying on a Thursday afternoon before the Sky F1 live TV show thing and two 15 minute races on a Friday then it would work.

Is it any different from the likes of Mini Se7en, Caterham, Legends paying extra to be on the BTCC bill? Okay, it's be a bit on the expensive in terms of upping the budget for a season, but if you can sell British GP access and exposure (Even delayed TV Coverage) as part of a season package it could make it easier for drivers to raise a budget, and for those who don't there'll be drivers from other areas who'd have the funds for the one race.
My understanding is that Silverstone approached Toca, GP racing at Silverstone struggles for content on the Sunday
Old 6 Dec 2023, 19:09 (Ref:4188472)   #643
cameronpoe
Rookie

cameronpoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcameronpoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

My understanding is that Silverstone approached TOCA
Old 6 Dec 2023, 19:25 (Ref:4188474)   #644
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Okay, it's be a bit on the expensive in terms of upping the budget for a season, but if you can sell British GP access and exposure (Even delayed TV Coverage) as part of a season package it could make it easier for drivers to raise a budget,
That's assuming there will be any TV coverage. ITV seem very protective of their BTCC rights so I can't see them allowing Sky to broadcast the race, and I don't know how FOM would react to have ITV cameras on site.
Old 6 Dec 2023, 20:14 (Ref:4188480)   #645
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
That's assuming there will be any TV coverage. ITV seem very protective of their BTCC rights so I can't see them allowing Sky to broadcast the race, and I don't know how FOM would react to have ITV cameras on site.
Just because sport may be on one channel, that doesn't necessarily refer to who actually films it.
Old 6 Dec 2023, 21:34 (Ref:4188485)   #646
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:

Unless something has changed dramatically recently, the cameras and initial production team are all from FOM, and the practice/qualification/racing action is all passed to broadcasters from FOM's studio in Biggin Hill. So, in theory, if there was a desire to run a BTCC race over the weekend, it would just mean that the stream would go to ITV instead of SKY and Channel 4.

All the non-racing add-ons, interviews and so on, could still be done by ITV's crews with their own cameras, in the same way that SKY does now with it's coverage of F1 weekends. I assume that C4 also does this, but as I don't watch it, I can't be sure.
Old 6 Dec 2023, 22:13 (Ref:4188491)   #647
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Very interesting info there. However I can’t see the BTCC being part of the British support again. They tried that in 04 and then a lot of the teams decided against it
Old 6 Dec 2023, 22:13 (Ref:4188492)   #648
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It definitely didn't use to be that simple. The last BTCC race at the Silverstone GP event only features as photographs and a voice-over on the official season review due to F1's oppressive media rights.
Old 6 Dec 2023, 22:15 (Ref:4188493)   #649
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It definitely didn't use to be that simple. The last BTCC race at the Silverstone GP event only features as photographs and a voice-over on the official season review due to F1's oppressive media rights.

Yes, that’s right. Don’t know why they did that when they were fine with every other year’s review having the GP support.I’m just grateful I still have the original Grandstand coverage of the 2nd race on BBC2
Old 6 Dec 2023, 22:16 (Ref:4188494)   #650
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
And that still happens. I subscribe to the Superview service for Supercars, but they aren't allowed to broadcast on that from Albert Park, due to FOM restriction So only domestic Fox viewers can see it.