Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Sep 2003, 00:37 (Ref:706299)   #1
Karl Kling
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Karl Kling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mazda?

Does anyone have any news about Mazdas rumoured return to Le Mans? It's been very quiet for a while now...
Old 3 Sep 2003, 01:14 (Ref:706312)   #2
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Downing and Terada were at Le Mans last year with a four rotor WR, which has also had some limited running in ALMS this year (including third in class at Road America). I think they were first car out at Le Mans last year.

This is very low $$ operation, and the WR chassis is not the best.

As a Mazda fan and someone that cheered the '91 victory, I hope they do return.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 06:47 (Ref:706424)   #3
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe back in 2005 - bank rolled by Ford, they did design an LMP900 car but the project was cancelled when Ford took over. Again this is belived to one of the manufactors that the ACO spoke too when they visited Japan a couple of months ago.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 06:59 (Ref:706439)   #4
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Terada says he intends to be back with a new rotary engined prototype
Old 3 Sep 2003, 07:02 (Ref:706444)   #5
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Audi, Toyota, Mazda - perhaps we have been commiting LMP to its grave too soon. I hope these rumours turn out to be true.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 09:57 (Ref:706614)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd love to see Mazda back - I still fondly remember 1991. But I fear for Terada's links with WR.

And I certainly agree with your sentiments, Mal.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 10:04 (Ref:706625)   #7
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Weren't Prodrive supposed to be talking to Mazda, or vice-versa?
Old 3 Sep 2003, 10:09 (Ref:706639)   #8
Giles
Rookie

Giles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My team is building a Mazda RX-7 for British GT's next year, I know its not Le Mans but Rotary Junkies will be able to get their fix of tortured metal engine notes at circuits around the UK......!!! Plus we will also take the car to the Nurburgring 24 Hours
Old 3 Sep 2003, 14:48 (Ref:707011)   #9
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
Maybe back in 2005 - bank rolled by Ford
Wouldn't count on it, Ford are in deep financially.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 18:17 (Ref:707240)   #10
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul, what car company isn't? It would seem their NA$CAR program is running fine.

Mazda has a commercial on Speed bragging on their IMSA and SCCA victories, and of course, their Le Mans win. It says "what are we going to do for an oncor? Find out at MazdaUSA.com." So I go there, and the only thing I see is race reports on Star Mazda, and that stupid Miata series they have. Sorry to any fans or participants of the Miata series, but I think it's lame. If they are coming back, why are they so outspoken and hush hush at the same time? As with the rest of the prototype rumors, I'll beleive it when I see it. Should they come back, I would like to see a GTP. I thought GTP was going to be the main prototype by '05, but it seems factories are only building LMPs and GTS cars.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 3 Sep 2003, 19:22 (Ref:707320)   #11
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I was told by someone whom I would deem as trustworthy in business terms about the losses they posted last year which threatens the future of the company. A little drastic perhaps but they have some VERY big problems it seems.

I'm no expert but from what I understand motorsprt is facing some cutbacks, why do you think Jag are thinking of taking on a pay driver in F1?
Old 3 Sep 2003, 19:55 (Ref:707365)   #12
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prodrive have been locked in talks with Aston Martin about building their GT challenger so I think they can be ruled out of the running if Mazda do return to Sportscars.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 20:06 (Ref:707390)   #13
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Just a couple of months ago, a contact within Mazda USA was under the belief that there was a SWCGT car on the track testing for 04' as well as a LMGT car near track ready status. The LMP program was put off to 05'.

I haven't had an update since then though.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 20:33 (Ref:707429)   #14
Kurt Maxwell
Racer

Kurt Maxwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nothing yet

BH-I have a client who drives for them and he says that nothing has been tested for WC-GT yet.

There could be a program in WC-GT for '04- but they need to start soon. It should be clear by the end of the month.

Last edited by Kurt Maxwell; 3 Sep 2003 at 20:41.