Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 9 Dec 2010, 20:12 (Ref:2802129)   #426
MihokS5
Racer

MihokS5 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Relatively cryptic message from Marshall Pruett on Twitter...

Well it's definitely sparked my curiosity.

EDIT: And a response a few minutes later all but confirms that it should be a closed car.
Nice find Victor. I wonder if this will have a hyrbid system similair to the Porsche
Old 9 Dec 2010, 21:24 (Ref:2802167)   #427
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A closed Audi would look great, I hope that at least some teams stick with an open car. Part of the appeal for me in this style of racing is the variety of cars on offer.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 22:04 (Ref:2802194)   #428
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Aston has an open car, which is weird IMO, they go from coupe to open top? I'm not sure of that decision. Anyone know what time Audi is supposed to hold this 'reveal' of the R18 tomorrow?
Old 9 Dec 2010, 22:37 (Ref:2802209)   #429
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Riley can turn around a coupe design so quickly is it so unlikely Aston have made the switch, especially as the car was likely still only on the computer until recently.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 23:37 (Ref:2802234)   #430
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Anyone know what time Audi is supposed to hold this 'reveal' of the R18 tomorrow?
The press release is being sent out at approximately 7pm (UK time), I believe.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 00:03 (Ref:2802239)   #431
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
If that's the case, I won't be until 1:00 AM eastern time in the US. Gotta hope that either my brother is sleeping in or that I get my new laptop tomorrow. But then again, that'll mean about 5:00 or 6:00 in Germany.

Bentley, do you know if most European markets have the 6 O'clock news like America does? Maybe that's Audi's launch plan, that by sending out the press release that Audi might get a mention on the sports section of the news broadcasts in Europe.

And as to the "new" concept, about the only thing really new will be the closed cockpit. I've had correspondance with Marshall, and even though there were things he said that he couldn't ever really say in private until the launch, he did confirm that the R18 should be a radical departure from the original R15 and even the 2010 R15. Just having read what Marshall had posted on Speed TV since hearing about the R18, I wouldn't be surprised that the R18 resembles to an extent at least a scaled down R10 with a roof and advanced aero concepts like what the Acura ARx-02 had, and a few of the R15's better features.

Or maybe even a slightly larger R8 with ACO areo rules bodywork and a roof. Obviously, Marshall was inclined to keep his cards close to his chest at least until tomorrow evening.

That's my best guess on what the new car might look like, and I'd expect to maybe see some 908 features, aside from the roof.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 00:25 (Ref:2802243)   #432
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
If that's the case, I won't be until 1:00 AM eastern time in the US. Gotta hope that either my brother is sleeping in or that I get my new laptop tomorrow. But then again, that'll mean about 5:00 or 6:00 in Germany.

Bentley, do you know if most European markets have the 6 O'clock news like America does? Maybe that's Audi's launch plan, that by sending out the press release that Audi might get a mention on the sports section of the news broadcasts in Europe.

And as to the "new" concept, about the only thing really new will be the closed cockpit. I've had correspondance with Marshall, and even though there were things he said that he couldn't ever really say in private until the launch, he did confirm that the R18 should be a radical departure from the original R15 and even the 2010 R15. Just having read what Marshall had posted on Speed TV since hearing about the R18, I wouldn't be surprised that the R18 resembles to an extent at least a scaled down R10 with a roof and advanced aero concepts like what the Acura ARx-02 had, and a few of the R15's better features.

Or maybe even a slightly larger R8 with ACO areo rules bodywork and a roof. Obviously, Marshall was inclined to keep his cards close to his chest at least until tomorrow evening.

That's my best guess on what the new car might look like, and I'd expect to maybe see some 908 features, aside from the roof.
What? It will be at 1 in the afternoon here, not 1 at night.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 00:35 (Ref:2802249)   #433
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
If Riley can turn around a coupe design so quickly is it so unlikely Aston have made the switch, especially as the car was likely still only on the computer until recently.
Riley "turned around" a coupe design? When? Where? Who? How?

The Bear's lastest (from his best source on such matters), is this:

“In spite of what you’ve heard, they are presently building nothing and still waiting for a 'donor'. At this point it would be impossible to field a car by Sebring.”
Old 10 Dec 2010, 01:40 (Ref:2802261)   #434
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
OK, I got my timezones mixed up.

And I found another message on Twitter from Marshall, and it seems to back up one of the things I mentioned. He claims that you'll find a lot of the concepts from the old R8, especially under the skin, and more or less confirms that it's a GTP LMP1.

But then again, Audi tried to emulate the R8's dynamic ablilties as far as handling and grip, and that only partly panned out on the R15.

Thus, with that tweet, you'll be looking at a car that'll resemble a closed cockpit R10/R8 at a distance, but will have a lot of the R8's chassis design themes in it.

And as Mulsanne Mike has heard, look for it to still be a diesel.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 01:55 (Ref:2802266)   #435
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Not to bring this off topic, but if Riley said this, that doesn't apply to what Aston Martin is doing does it? I would doubt that, unless Aston is relying on them for a chassis. Anyway...

So a press conference, I wonder if we'll see a live feed of this? I remember some F1 teams (like Toyota) doing a live release of their car over the net, if only Audi would do this.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 03:12 (Ref:2802277)   #436
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Audi did it for the R10 on Audi.com, but that was back in 2005...
Old 10 Dec 2010, 08:11 (Ref:2802318)   #437
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Official coupe confirmation:
Quote:
Audi extends motorsport commitment
Thu, 09 Dec 2010 20:17:42 +0100

With an extended motorsport commitment focused on efficiency and the use of production-related vehicles, AUDI AG will also support its product offensive on the race tracks in 2011. The new Audi R18, a closed coupe that has been specifically developed for the Le Mans 24 Hours, will make its debut in Audi’s line-up. A new DTM car is also being built at Audi Sport. In addition, Audi will extend and restructure its customer sport program.
source: http://www.audi-motorsport.info/xml/audi_e.rss
Old 10 Dec 2010, 10:07 (Ref:2802362)   #438
TF110
Veteran

United States
Wait is only a few more hours! I wonder if it'll be in full livery or if it'll be shown in the flat black!?
Old 10 Dec 2010, 10:39 (Ref:2802371)   #439
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
I'll suggest those that are talking about the R8 in the same breath as the R18 have run out of hyperbole. I made such an inquiry and had a strong rebuff from my source. Something about talking ****e and a general lack of understanding was mentioned in the same sentence.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 12:36 (Ref:2802410)   #440
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
I just found this pointer on the EI forum: http://blog.autoplus.fr/moncet/2010/...elle-audi-r18/
Quote:
I learned yesterday that the new Audi R18, scheduled for endurance, will be a closed car, and clever: the turbochargers are placed at the center of the V of the engine and the pipes come out in a shark fin behind the engine.
Not sure what to make of it.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 12:40 (Ref:2802414)   #441
MihokS5
Racer

MihokS5 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
gwyllion keep the info coming as you find it!
Old 10 Dec 2010, 13:27 (Ref:2802434)   #442
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Its great to see that finally things are coming together in the sportscar worlds with Audi's continued committment with this new Audi R18 and, possibly a Toyota LMP1 in 2012(if toyota can compete expect to see a few more manufacturers), BMW's DTM involvement. DTM's possible link up with Super GT(which would be brilliant).
the only thing that worries me at the moment is how manufacturers react when they don't win. We've seen with peugeot and audi that they were on the chopping blocks had they not won lemans. Everyone can't win lemans in the same year. And when everyone can't afford to lose at the same time it quickly eliminates competition.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 13:33 (Ref:2802435)   #443
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
The only thing that worries me at the moment is how manufacturers react when they don't win. We've seen with peugeot and audi that they were on the chopping blocks had they not won lemans. Everyone can't win lemans in the same year. And when everyone can't afford to lose at the same time it quickly eliminates competition.
True, but recent history has shown manufacturers win Le Mans and walk away too.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 13:35 (Ref:2802438)   #444
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, you have the comparatively open rule set of sportscars, and the tight regs everywhere else.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 14:06 (Ref:2802447)   #445
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
I just found this pointer on the EI forum: http://blog.autoplus.fr/moncet/2010/...elle-audi-r18/
Not sure what to make of it.
Thats very interesting, although Ferrari did this in the F1 V6 turbo days, admittedley thay had a 120 degree bank angle so packaging two turbos next to each other was relativley easy.

BMW have actually recently started doing this in mass production on their Diesel V8. I must say it makes alot of sense from a servicing and packaging perspective, speaking from personal design pains on a V8 diesel engine package.

I think it will also make the aero layout more of a slippery design as the side mounted turbos tend to really get in the way of air that is ducted through the rear of the chassis - just like the R15.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 16:45 (Ref:2802505)   #446
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK View Post
Riley "turned around" a coupe design? When? Where? Who? How?

The Bear's lastest (from his best source on such matters), is this:

“In spite of what you’ve heard, they are presently building nothing and still waiting for a 'donor'. At this point it would be impossible to field a car by Sebring.”
Your mistaken, by "turned around" I mean modifying their CAD design, something Aston could have already done as all we've seen is a concept drawing back in September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
the only thing that worries me at the moment is how manufacturers react when they don't win. We've seen with peugeot and audi that they were on the chopping blocks had they not won lemans. Everyone can't win lemans in the same year. And when everyone can't afford to lose at the same time it quickly eliminates competition.
Which is one of the primary reasons why the ILMC was launched, manufactuers seasons couldn't rest on success or failure at Le Mans, important though that is.

Last edited by JAG; 10 Dec 2010 at 16:55.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 18:06 (Ref:2802547)   #447
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It's 1pm Newyork Time.......
6 p.m london time
Old 10 Dec 2010, 18:08 (Ref:2802551)   #448
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At what time is the official announcement!?
Old 10 Dec 2010, 18:09 (Ref:2802553)   #449
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If anyone is on twitter, Graham Goodwin is tweeting live from the launch.

@dsceditor
Old 10 Dec 2010, 18:10 (Ref:2802554)   #450
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
The event is going on now, there's tweets from Graham Goodwin with quotes from what's being said.

http://twitter.com/#!/dsceditor

EDT: Oh ********.