Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jun 2003, 01:15 (Ref:635073)   #1
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
peteconnors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driver Fitness

OK, so we all know that F1 drivers are pretty fit, but I want to know just what sort of a fitness schedule they have in order to obtain their levels of fitness. Anyone know?
Old 18 Jun 2003, 06:45 (Ref:635190)   #2
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would have thought The Man Webber has got to be the best person to answer this one!
Old 18 Jun 2003, 10:23 (Ref:635361)   #3
Jalt
Rookie

Jalt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a lot of the driver's seem to say the same thing...cycling/ triathlon/ they all like bikes/ kayaking....

and they all seem to like pasta and water...
Old 18 Jun 2003, 12:32 (Ref:635454)   #4
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Pablo likes motorcycles and cheeseburgers!
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1422212)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyG
I think Pablo likes motorcycles and cheeseburgers!
I knew there was one of these threads out there somewhere. I watched the Brazilian GP (again) last night, but for the first time saw the podium celebrations. Fernando and Kimi looked totally knackard, Juan Pablo looked totally fresh, not bad for someone who lives on cheeseburgers
Old 2 Oct 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1422298)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Most of these guys work with personal fitness trainers I would think. DC looks like he does a fair amount of weight training, bike riding and hill climbing.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 01:35 (Ref:1422404)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
I knew there was one of these threads out there somewhere. I watched the Brazilian GP (again) last night, but for the first time saw the podium celebrations. Fernando and Kimi looked totally knackard, Juan Pablo looked totally fresh, not bad for someone who lives on cheeseburgers
And after that they all went to the best "Churrascaria" (Grill or Barbecue restaurant-if you know what I mean) from this side of the planet, and had all that they could get for at least 3 hours. If you ever went to a brazilian barbecue, you get the idea on how much calories they had consumed...
Old 3 Oct 2005, 06:54 (Ref:1422473)   #8
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
1970's drivers had the best fitness schedule...chasing wimmin,smoking and drinking in no particular order.Seemed to work for them
Old 3 Oct 2005, 10:40 (Ref:1422631)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
James Hunt would be nowhere by the end of a race these days. There's no way a driver with his lifestyle could remain physically and mentally at top performance in a current race. But it's a good point from V that a lot of people underestimate JPM's true fitness level, and it's very rare for him to seem exhausted after a race. Keke Rosberg was the same - a fairly stocky guy who came from a naturally cold country, but he could handle hot races better than anyone at the time.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 11:42 (Ref:1422695)   #10
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MS is also still one of the fittest drivers out there. And if I remember correctly it was only after he came into the sport that fitnes became such a "issue".

Even the Ferrari mechanics had to be fit.

Read it in a book somewhere....
Old 3 Oct 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1422711)   #11
NO1SPECIAL
Racer

NO1SPECIAL has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Is Colombia cold then? I always had the opposite impression. And BTW, i'm a bit fed up with this cheeseburger rubbish too. By any chance did it start when one of his detractors saw him eating a burger once and happened to notice he doesn't have the body of a heroin addict?
Old 3 Oct 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1422776)   #12
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM's very good in the wet though, and I'm sure it rarely rains in Columbia. I agree that JPM's physical and intellectual characteristics are under-appreciated - he makes less mistakes under pressure than Kimi.

Mark Webber does a lot of triathlons and marathons, and I'm sure some of the other drivers do. Certainly the physical demands of F1 are greater than any other form of motor racing, even though other events are longer (Le Mans is a challenge in its own right of course), and extensive working out is required by most drivers to get anywhere near the limit.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 21:36 (Ref:1423209)   #13
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember an article a few years ago about Webber riding his bike from John o'groats to lands end...what with that, and "warm exhausts" he must be used to pains in the butt!
Old 3 Oct 2005, 21:56 (Ref:1423222)   #14
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is very far in my fading memory but there used to be, many years ago on TV (it was broadcasted on CBC here in Canada), an "all star" competition between the best of their respective disciplins in order to determine who was the overall best athlete. It was well before "iron man" competitions but it also included swiming, cycling and weight lifting amongst other competitions I don't remember. The show featured, amongst many others, hockey player Wayne Gretzky.

Jody Sheckter (IIRC) won the overall competion one year. I recall this because local sports journalists found it funny that someone sitting in a car would be the world's best athlete.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 23:33 (Ref:1423276)   #15
EHS
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, Westchester, NY
EHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
James Hunt would be nowhere by the end of a race these days. There's no way a driver with his lifestyle could remain physically and mentally at top performance in a current race...
Racing long is not the same as racing well.
Old 3 Oct 2005, 23:36 (Ref:1423277)   #16
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis B.
It is very far in my fading memory but there used to be, many years ago on TV (it was broadcasted on CBC here in Canada), an "all star" competition between the best of their respective disciplins in order to determine who was the overall best athlete. It was well before "iron man" competitions but it also included swiming, cycling and weight lifting amongst other competitions I don't remember. The show featured, amongst many others, hockey player Wayne Gretzky.

Jody Sheckter (IIRC) won the overall competion one year. I recall this because local sports journalists found it funny that someone sitting in a car would be the world's best athlete.
And that was BEFORE the days of mega-fitness!
Old 4 Oct 2005, 06:49 (Ref:1423392)   #17
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Webber did an extreme trek through the wilds of Tasmania for charity a couple of years ago. Lasted about a week and involved some pretty amazing footage. He had ironmen and other elite sportspeople with him - and none of them were doing it easy.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 15:56 (Ref:1423763)   #18
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO1SPECIAL
Is Colombia cold then? I always had the opposite impression.
"The average temperature is around 14.4° C (58° F) all year round dropping to about 9° C at night and rising to around 18° C and higher when sunny."
http://www.bogota-dc.com/clima/bog-wea.htm

PS: Sounds cold to me. Panama 31°C! That´s hot!
Old 4 Oct 2005, 16:05 (Ref:1423770)   #19
NO1SPECIAL
Racer

NO1SPECIAL has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
yep, sounds cold to me too, at least by an aussie's standards anyway. thanks