Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 6 Jun 2001, 17:23 (Ref:101916)   #1
John B
Rookie

John B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Petty comments on Earnhardt

From ESPN:

In comments sure to ruffle feathers, Petty also questioned Earnhardt's driving
ability and the motivation behind Jeff Gordon's fan appeal.

Earnhardt "was an exciting driver to watch, but he really didn't win that many
races," said Petty, whose 200 victories are nearly twice that of No. 2 David
Pearson (105). Earnhardt is sixth all-time with 76.

"He wasn't that dominant of a driver," Petty said. "He was not a standout, but he
met the criteria the fans wanted in excitement.

I find these comments a bit odd. Does anyone think the publicity backlash from the crash has irritated Petty? Certainly the eras Petty and Earnhardt raced in were different...other thoughts?
Old 7 Jun 2001, 09:59 (Ref:102149)   #2
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This does seem out of character for King Richard but when you have won 7 championships and 200 races, it would be hard for someone like that to see Earnhardt as an equal. I think he is probably more irriatated with the frequency of comparisons between he and Dale. There is no doubt that the death of Earnhardt has elevated his status in the minds of many. Perhaps, Petty is getting upset that he isn't getting his due credit.
Old 7 Jun 2001, 10:05 (Ref:102152)   #3
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds Petty, really...

I think it's always worth looking to see what this sort of thing as said by someone with Richard's background really reflects. He has the runs on the board, and he's also known what the tragic side of racing means...

There are some drivers who get some wins and wow the crowd without being all that outstanding. Being in the right team at the right time, that sort of thing, it all counts for the impact a driver will make.

Last edited by Ray Bell; 7 Jun 2001 at 10:06.
Old 8 Jun 2001, 17:30 (Ref:102635)   #4
Artwinter
Rookie

Artwinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pettys Statement

I believe that Richard is correct. He has seen many great driver die in races and there is time to make closure. Dale Jr. doesn't need to be reminded that his father is dead every week he well knows that. We all seem to forget that before Jeff Gordon came on the scene that Dale was booed and hated by most fans. It's time to let the man rest in peace.

Gwen
Old 12 Jun 2001, 01:43 (Ref:104193)   #5
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

As usual, the media has taken things out of context, and changed everything around! If you read the entire article, Petty didn't come out looking like the "bad guy" that the media tries to make him out to be!
Old 12 Jun 2001, 10:36 (Ref:104326)   #6
Michael Hickey
Rookie

Michael Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Is this the same Richard Petty that told the media that Willie T Ribbs was an "Uppity ******"?

Is this the same Richard Petty who got caught for a hit and run accident?

Yes i think it is the same Richard Petty
Old 12 Jun 2001, 13:27 (Ref:104419)   #7
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hickey
Is this the same Richard Petty that told the media that Willie T Ribbs was an "Uppity ******"?
This is the first that I heard of this, can you identify a source for this supposed quote? If not, I will have to delete it.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 09:27 (Ref:104692)   #8
Michael Hickey
Rookie

Richard Petty was interviewed last year on tv shown in Australia about the lack of African American participation in Nascar.I could not believe it when he made the comments.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 10:44 (Ref:104712)   #9
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's not a source, it's another comment. So in view of the fact that you seem to have no proof to offer to support your statement, I'm sorry, I don't buy it.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 10:53 (Ref:104718)   #10
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is a source then?? So wwhat you are saying is that you can NOT believe anything you see on the Television?
Old 13 Jun 2001, 12:45 (Ref:104759)   #11
Michael Hickey
Rookie

He was being interviewed by Bryant Gumble and it was shown on April 20 1999 on HBO.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 13:39 (Ref:104778)   #12
Joe Fan
Veteran

Michael, I remember watching that HBO special, Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel on Discrimination in NASCAR. However, I do not remember Petty using the word "******" unless it was used in context. Richard Petty is not a racist I can assure you. If he did use the N-word on purpose, this would be front page news and would have been all over the racing bulletin boards. Believe me, I know enough NASCAR haters on various bulletin boards who would have had a field day with this one if it were true.

Please note that a Mexican, Carlos Contreras, is the driver for his Hot Wheels Craftsman Truck Series team. Also, King Richard Petty was a mentor for Brad Daugherty, a former black player in the NBA, who is a NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series owner. Daugherty said that after one of the first NASCAR races he attended as a kid, he and his father were standing outside the fense and yelled at him, asking if he could come over for an autograph. He said that Richard looked over and then headed towards the fense where they were standing. He signed his autograph and even took time to talk to both he and his father for several minutes. He said that this encounter is helped make him a NASCAR and Richard Petty fan.

Back to Willie T. Ribbs, I do believe that those in the NASCAR community thought he was "uppity" because in 1978, Humpy Wheeler arranged a ride for him at Charlotte in a Will Cronkrite Ford. However, after two practice sessions, Ribbs never showed up so Cronkrite let some Busch Grand National driver named Dale Earnhardt fill in and the rest the say, was history.

Last edited by Joe Fan; 13 Jun 2001 at 13:51.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 17:56 (Ref:104835)   #13
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Read between the lines.

He himself is trying to get over the death of his grandson.
He wishes to move on. Being a DE diehard...I initially did not appreciate his comments. But after thought, I realized that from a long time perspective, he was correct on MOST his comments.
He's not the type to sugar coat things. The sun HAS gone up & down.
I also feel that his pride might be stepped on. Since DE's death...the word greatest has come up a lot. That was always his role.
He's the KING.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 20:22 (Ref:104886)   #14
Lee
Racer

Joe Fan,

Unless I miss my guess, you have just run across one of those NASCAR haters from other forums, that you just mentioned, this particular one, a cart type! It seems that I have seen this name, Michael Hickey, an individual from Australia, at a couple of cart boards, and if it is the same individual, he is one of the most arrogant NASCAR haters in existence! Always blaiming anything that goes wrong with his favored series on NASCAR, such as the recent cart refusal to race at TMS! This individual, or one like him actually claimed that it was NASCAR's fault that cart couldn't race there, claimed it was a NASCAR plot to destroy cart! This might not be the same individual, but someone that uses this same name posts numerous anti-NASCAR **** at the two sights that I mentioned!
Old 14 Jun 2001, 09:14 (Ref:105039)   #15
Michael Hickey
Rookie

Lee I am not to person posting on other boards You must be mistaken,I have never ever said anything against Nascar,the best race meeting I have ever been to was the 1991 Diehard 500.
As for my comments on Petty,believe it or not I WAS a Richard Petty fan until I saw the story and heard his comments.
Old 14 Jun 2001, 15:14 (Ref:105160)   #16
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While covering motor racing I got to know King Richard and I'm still a fan of his. He was kind enough to help me out while covering my first Daytona 400. Unfortunately I never had the pleasure to meet DE so I can't comment on him one way or another.
I did meet Willie T Ribbs early in his racing live and found him a hard man to get close to. He always appeared to have a chip on his should, sometimes that chip was more like a cord of wood. I always felt that Willie was his own worst enemy.
Old 15 Jun 2001, 01:57 (Ref:105364)   #17
Lee
Racer

Michael, if it wasn't you, I'm sorry, but I have seen someone using your name on those forums, and he is extreamly anti-NASCAR. Sorry
Old 17 Jun 2001, 07:37 (Ref:106085)   #18
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Anyway, getting back on topic here... Check this photo out. I have no idea what year this was taken, or even what they are talking about... But that sho'nuff is Dale Earnhardt (wearing his RCR uniform) subbing in the #43.

Old 17 Jun 2001, 21:16 (Ref:106259)   #19
Joe Fan
Veteran

Great pic Tim. That is one that you don't see everyday. I really don't have a guess as to what year that was.
Old 19 Jun 2001, 12:18 (Ref:106844)   #20
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
It would have to be after 1984, as that is when DE went full time with RCR. But judging by the uniform, it would have to be after '87, as in '86 and '87 his sponsor was Wrangler, not Goodwrench. (If I have my DE history correct anyway...) I think Goodwrench came into the picture in '88, but I wasn't into NASCAR all that much back then so I'm not sure. Well, actually I was (sort of), just not as into the history of it all as much I am now...
Old 26 Jun 2001, 14:13 (Ref:109945)   #21
NascarGuy6
Rookie

NascarGuy6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, I'm new here...but as far as that picture goes, I could tell you that it's more than likely from somewhere around '89-'91 DE didn't get Goodwrench as his primary sponsor until '88, of course the king retired in '92...
Old 4 Jul 2001, 17:31 (Ref:113025)   #22
John B
Rookie

John B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice picture. WOuld have to be post-1988 since that's when Pontiac brought out the Grand Prix with the sloped roof (the much-anticipated 1987 model had the glass back like the Monte Carlo)
Old 13 Jul 2001, 09:56 (Ref:116503)   #23
floid2000
Racer

floid2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its about time somebody had the "berries" to tell it like it is. I met Earnhart at two (PAID) sitdown autograph sessions for Nutmeg Mills and he was a rude ,beligerant PUNK both times. I also met him at a Chevy dealers in Daytona and ,Again, The jerk. The driving style that Dale Earnhart brought to the big speedways has already caused a few injuries with the dirty AERO tricks . He brought the same **** that Ayrton Senna brought to F1 and didn't he also "Die by the sword" ? The same manners that apply in life also apply on the track.You dont put peoples lives in jeopardy to win a race or be rude to the people who made you rich.