Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 Oct 2023, 14:49 (Ref:4180707)   #101
5five
Rookie

5five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
Having seen stills of Hills "overtake" I can't believe they're letting that stand. All four wheels were on the grass and Cook was tight on the corner. Not a good precedent to set for the future.
Excuse the social media screengrab, but at this point Jake is alongside / has an overlap and isn't going to be given any room. Drivers have been penalised earlier in the year for pushing someone off the track on the outside, so I think Jake did the best here cutting the grass and avoiding a potential big crash between three cars.

It does look bad if you just look at the second shot alone out of context.
Attached Thumbnails
image_2023-10-09_154545446.png   image_2023-10-09_154831695.png  
Old 9 Oct 2023, 15:02 (Ref:4180712)   #102
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Except, I would contend that Cook was so obviously committed to the corner at that point which, to my mind, means that Hill should have backed off. He, Hill, should not have expected Cook to suddenly jink to his left, which he would have needed to so as to avoid avoid Hill who was just making a last moment lunge down the inside. At the point where Hill gets his front wheel alongside Cook's rear wheel, there is already insignificant room in which to make a pass without at least his front wheels going onto the grass.
Old 9 Oct 2023, 15:03 (Ref:4180713)   #103
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5five View Post
Excuse the social media screengrab, but at this point Jake is alongside / has an overlap and isn't going to be given any room. Drivers have been penalised earlier in the year for pushing someone off the track on the outside, so I think Jake did the best here cutting the grass and avoiding a potential big crash between three cars.

It does look bad if you just look at the second shot alone out of context.
Go back a few frames earlier though and there was zero overlap but Cook was already heading for the apex.

Last edited by AnnoyedMoose; 9 Oct 2023 at 15:17.
Old 9 Oct 2023, 19:44 (Ref:4180747)   #104
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If it had been another driver pulling the same move on him, I wonder how he'd describe it?
Yeah, don’t think we would’ve heard the end of it!

Good that Cook took it on the chin (well, at least we think so!) Suppose he didn’t think he had much chance of winning that one anyway.
Old 9 Oct 2023, 19:55 (Ref:4180749)   #105
SV8Predator
Racer

SV8Predator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
Having seen stills of Hills "overtake" I can't believe they're letting that stand. All four wheels were on the grass and Cook was tight on the corner. Not a good precedent to set for the future.
Jake Hill's onboard footage showed how Cook squeezed him as he was alongside which the TV footage didn't show as the camera angles switched.
Old 9 Oct 2023, 20:59 (Ref:4180755)   #106
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Maybe it was a bit of an ambitious move by Hill, but it worked and he didn’t take Cook off. They both survived
Old 12 Oct 2023, 13:20 (Ref:4181101)   #107
mick bennett
Rookie

mick bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hill is simply dangerous. The win should not have been allowed to stand. He can only be lucky so many times.
Old 12 Oct 2023, 22:11 (Ref:4181189)   #108
SV8Predator
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick bennett View Post
Hill is simply dangerous.
Dangerous? By moving out of the way to avoid a collision?

Old 13 Oct 2023, 13:39 (Ref:4181266)   #109
mick bennett
Rookie

mick bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV8Predator View Post
Dangerous? By moving out of the way to avoid a collision?

A Very simple thing to do , Brake and manoeuvre.

Tractors and Lawn Mowers go on Grass
Old 13 Oct 2023, 15:56 (Ref:4181286)   #110
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't call Hill's move (or him in general) 'dangerous' but his overtake was certainly questionable in my eyes. He was on grass with all four wheels, that certainly is a perfect example of taking an unfair advantage. As someone here said, it'd be interesting to know what he'd say if he was overtaken by someone in such style. There'd be a lot of crying and moaning I guess...
Old 13 Oct 2023, 18:21 (Ref:4181322)   #111
SV8Predator
Racer

Quote:
What a great comment!

You're obviously at the sharp end of British motorsport.
Old 14 Oct 2023, 20:08 (Ref:4181535)   #112
MrsDoubtfire
Rookie

MrsDoubtfire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I understand it the officials looked at Hill for leaving the track and when presented with evidence of Cook overtaking Hill after passing a safety car board, decided no action was necessary. Seems a fair outcome.
Old 14 Oct 2023, 20:26 (Ref:4181546)   #113
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDoubtfire View Post
As I understand it the officials looked at Hill for leaving the track and when presented with evidence of Cook overtaking Hill after passing a safety car board, decided no action was necessary. Seems a fair outcome.
That's what I thought about honestly, seems like a sensible solution.
Old 15 Oct 2023, 05:59 (Ref:4181617)   #114
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDoubtfire View Post
So shouldn’t Cook been penalised for overtaking under yellows? Seems all rules go out of the window in the last race
Old 15 Oct 2023, 06:21 (Ref:4181619)   #115
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
So shouldn’t Cook been penalised for overtaking under yellows? Seems all rules go out of the window in the last race
In previous cases of overtaking under yellow, the driver has received a penalty that gives the effect of putting them behind the driver they overtook in the final classification.
In the case of track limits infringements, the same approach to penalty is usually taken.

In this case - if you applied those penalties the net result would be the same.
Old 16 Oct 2023, 11:20 (Ref:4181703)   #116
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV8Predator View Post
Quote:
What a great comment!

You're obviously at the sharp end of British motorsport.
That's a cutting remark if ever I heard one.