Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jun 2012, 13:32 (Ref:3089017)   #1
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jenson's woes

Can anyone think of a precedent for so sudden and dramatic a fall-off of form and results as that which Jenson is currently experiencing? He wins the first race of the season, figures strongly in the next few, then falls of a cliff!
The car hash't changed significantly, he says it's not the tyres, and you don't forget how to do it just like that. Never seen anything like it...
Old 11 Jun 2012, 14:59 (Ref:3089053)   #2
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is strange, people on here think Massa has pressure mounting on him for his drive. Jenson seems to be struggling with confidence just to get stuck in and drive the damn thing.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 15:09 (Ref:3089058)   #3
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It might just be a mid-season dip in performance(a little like his championship year in 2009, when Rubens seemed to be a lot stronger). I think he could come back to take some more wins soon. He does however, have a big problem of getting heat into the tyres. It has always been a problem for him.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 16:51 (Ref:3089105)   #4
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my view Jenson is in danger of falling back into the pattern of his old self pre 2009. He's always struggled to adapt to a car not quite to his liking with tyre heating issues often admited. He needs to step up as its not a case of silly mistakes taking points away, but more like underperforming in a car very capable of winning races. McLaren need the constructors points and I hope he recovers his form.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 19:20 (Ref:3089186)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is he the next Massa ?????

I hope not.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 19:28 (Ref:3089193)   #6
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Is he the next Massa ?????
Button to Ferrari?

Yeah, it's a pity but Jenson's always been a driver with a small operating window. I would love to see Jenson start putting in the results again soon, although it makes me chuckle to think of all of those who rubbished Hamilton last year with their comments about Button actually being a much superior driver.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 20:56 (Ref:3089244)   #7
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally, I think Button is driving the worst out of the current WDCs on the grid. It is difficult to pin-point why though but his last two races have been terrible for someone that has a car that should finish in the top 5.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 21:09 (Ref:3089252)   #8
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It all seems to boil down to what is happening in that hour on a Saturday afternoon. He can be on the pace in practice, and then mysteriously off it in quali. Underperforming in quali then puts the pressure on to try something special to rescue the race. The worry is that neither Jenson nor the team seem to know how to put it right.

Conversely, I think this is also a big factor in Lewis feeling at ease with himself having (ironically) learned a thing or two from Jenson about playing the long game and banking points rather than risking all for the race win.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 23:26 (Ref:3089315)   #9
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post
Personally, I think Button is driving the worst out of the current WDCs on the grid. It is difficult to pin-point why though but his last two races have been terrible for someone that has a car that should finish in the top 5.
I think that's pretty clear - Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton are all driving great. Raikkonen's been up and down, but that's more down to the car. Schumacher's driving fine but just needs the bad luck off his back.

To be honest, I'd say Button is driving worse than most of the field these last couple races. I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I think the McLaren is probably, overall, the best car to be in right now, by just a tiny amount. But only when the tyres are working for it. There's been other cars that have been faster in certain races, but they're not consistent, and can't qualify so well. McLaren's strong qualifying (from Hamilton) might just win them the WC.

I do think Red Bull will continue at the front now, and Ferrari is faster than what Alonso keeps telling everyone. He could have won Canada if he stayed on Hamilton's strategy.

Button is almost out of the championship now - 2 race wins is a lot to make up, especially when it's at least 3 drivers that you need to make it up on. Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso would all have to retire from 2 races that Button wins.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 23:43 (Ref:3089320)   #10
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Button to Ferrari?
I was more thinking Massa to McLaren
Old 12 Jun 2012, 00:06 (Ref:3089323)   #11
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Not to rain on Jenson's departure but this from Grandprix.com

"Martin Whitmarsh, Team Principal: Lewis drove a great lap in Q3 today, and will start tomorrow's race from the front row as a result. And when Lewis is on the front row, you always fancy his chances, don't you? Jenson, having lost a lot of track time through no fault of his own yesterday, was always going to be playing catch-up today. In the circumstances, therefore, he did very well to get through to Q3 this afternoon, especially as it was so close at the top of the time-sheets. But, in getting there, he'd used up all his new Option tyres, which meant there was little point in his re-using one of his already-used sets of Options in Q3, since doing so would have been unlikely to have afforded him the opportunity to improve his grid position significantly over the P10 that was already in the bag by virtue of having made it through to Q3. So, instead, he did just one run in Q3 on new Primes, and will therefore start tomorrow's race on those Primes. I suppose you could say it's a slightly adventurous strategy - but then, given Jenson's troubled running so far, an adventurous strategy was always going to be what was required for him here today. And, as we all know, having watched with fearful thrill his wondrous run from stone-last to triumphant first here last year, there's probably no-one in the world better able to exploit an adventurous strategy at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve than Jenson Button."
Old 12 Jun 2012, 06:32 (Ref:3089367)   #12
alfettafan
Rookie

alfettafan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa is showing some signs of improvement in the last couple of races. He had caught a bout of Badoer and it seems to take a while to shake off. It also appears that the Badoer bug is air born and Jenson has now caught it. When JB said after Malaysia that Alonso was not a worry he was right, he knew he had caught the Badoer and he is now suffering the full effects...
Old 12 Jun 2012, 07:18 (Ref:3089381)   #13
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just going through a trough.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 09:59 (Ref:3089444)   #14
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's more to do with the fact that Button has never been a good qualifier. In the past being 0.3-0.4 sec off Hamilton maybe cost him 1 or 2 places on the grid. When you have 5-6 manufacturers in the hunt and the top 12 cars covered by 1 second....his off quali performances are being exasperated.

I enjoy watching drivers struggle. Hamo has shown growth in character and recovered from last years holiday with the pixies..Webber seems to be back more or less after a shocking first half of 2011.. I expect Button will recover as he has been there before and bounced back.

But back to my original point, he is an average qualifier and is paying the price at present
Old 12 Jun 2012, 10:22 (Ref:3089463)   #15
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
I think it's more to do with the fact that Button has never been a good qualifier. In the past being 0.3-0.4 sec off Hamilton maybe cost him 1 or 2 places on the grid. When you have 5-6 manufacturers in the hunt and the top 12 cars covered by 1 second....his off quali performances are being exasperated.
True, but qualifying doesn't have such a huge importance in those days of DRS and Pirellis. It is possible to make a charge from midfield to the front, if you have the pace and the right strategy. See Perez last Sunday.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 10:47 (Ref:3089475)   #16
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But you cant be racing back from outside the top 5 every race trying to get onto the podium...first corner arm wrestles in the mid pack etc.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 12:57 (Ref:3089535)   #17
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
But you cant be racing back from outside the top 5 every race trying to get onto the podium...first corner arm wrestles in the mid pack etc.
He's going backwards in races though thats the main problem and the strategy from the team like that random pitstop in Canada which made him fall down to 18th makes the situation even more bizarre.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 13:28 (Ref:3089550)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post
Tyres are the problem here....
Old 12 Jun 2012, 13:30 (Ref:3089552)   #19
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does anyone know whether his dip in form has coincided with one particular chassis or is it across several chassis ? Not that I doubt McLaren wouldn't have gone to extremes to rule this out, but I wonder whether there's an issue with the chassis he's driving... i.e. a cracked tub or something ? It's unusual to see Jenson so far off his team mate AND not have the slightest idea why.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 13:31 (Ref:3089553)   #20
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Tyres are the problem here....
When interviewed on Sunday, he was asked this and he specifically ruled out tyres as being the issue.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 13:34 (Ref:3089557)   #21
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
When interviewed on Sunday, he was asked this and he specifically ruled out tyres as being the issue.
I see, okay well thank you for that....
Old 12 Jun 2012, 14:16 (Ref:3089594)   #22
NPP
Racer

Germany
Germany and UK
NPP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On Autosport, the message was that it isn't _just_ tyres but a combination of setup issues, including tyres, that they struggle to understand. Like davyboy, I was wondering about chassis issues. Or they have done one very silly but hard-to-notice mistake - changed a setting without recording the change, misplaced a decimal point etc. - so that they think they have changed nothing when, in fact they have.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 14:31 (Ref:3089604)   #23
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
It is bizarre. He has not always been great in qualifying, but would make up places in the race, but you could tell he was struggling at Canada from the very first lap.

Whatever the problem is, they need to sort it out fast.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 15:48 (Ref:3089630)   #24
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Sadly (I say sadly because I like the guy), I think this lack of pace/qualifying speed is starting to do Jenson's head in which is adversely affecting his performance on a Saturday, and a Sunday.
Somehow he needs to put this all aside and just try and concentrate on the job(s) in hand, then, with the help & support of his engineers, he should find out what the problem is.
Old 12 Jun 2012, 17:23 (Ref:3089670)   #25
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
This is not looking good for Jensen he is now driving worst than Massa and look what everyone is saying is about to happen to him