Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Sep 2003, 10:54 (Ref:722914)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Wish More of the Drivers Hated Each Other

I decided to post this after reading another thread with a quote from Senna about Prost ... basically, I want to say, wouldn't it be nice if more drivers hated each other?

I wish they were more vocal in their opinions of the rest of the field - I'm sick of them all being nice to each other! I'd like to see the drivers talk with more passion, emotion and rage ... we need some good, bitter rivalries!

At the moment, we have a few rivalries, but none of them are up to the level of repeated on-track battles or off-track biffs.

Villeneuve seems to be fairly vocal, he doesn't like Jensen Button or Michael Schumacher. And DC and JPM aren't big fans of Schumacher either. Other than that, there isn't really alot to get excited about...
Old 18 Sep 2003, 12:04 (Ref:722966)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think that Senna and Prost hated each other. it was just rivalry pushed to the nth degree. They strongly disagreed with the way each other went racing, but as soon as you removed the competition then things mellowed. It has been said by many that they were and would have become close friends.

Villeneuve doesn't hate Jenson either IMHO. More Button fans hate Villeneuve fans and vice versa

You are right about there not being any great hatred at the moment. However there is some decent rivalries. This year we have Montoya and Schumacher at the moment, but they don't have to hate each other for it to be fun.

Good examples from the past are Piquet and Mansell (it seemed Nelson's purpose in life was to wind up Nige!). Hunt and Patrese (not nice). Jones and Piquet (bit childish IMHO).
Old 18 Sep 2003, 12:55 (Ref:723013)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
I don't think that Senna and Prost hated each other. it was just rivalry pushed to the nth degree. They strongly disagreed with the way each other went racing, but as soon as you removed the competition then things mellowed. It has been said by many that they were and would have become close friends.
Yes, it's been pretty well documented that after Prost retired in 1993, Senna was able to put the rivalry in the past and make peace with Prost. I have no doubt they had alot of respecty for each other, in what was probably the most titanic rivalry seen in F1 history - there was a lot of agression and fury and that's what I want to see more than actual 'hate.'

Quote:
Villeneuve doesn't hate Jenson either IMHO. More Button fans hate Villeneuve fans and vice versa
Too right

Quote:
You are right about there not being any great hatred at the moment. However there is some decent rivalries. This year we have Montoya and Schumacher at the moment, but they don't have to hate each other for it to be fun.
I think Alonso vs Montoya could devlop into a nice rivalry over time, both are very agressive - Alonso comes from the Senna/Schumacher mould, where as JPM represents the latest in the Hill/Villeneuve line.

Quote:
Good examples from the past are Piquet and Mansell (it seemed Nelson's purpose in life was to wind up Nige!). Hunt and Patrese (not nice). Jones and Piquet (bit childish IMHO).
Jones/Reutemann is another classic - Jones never said a word to him after he disobeyed Williams team orders...

And of course, Senna/Irvine nearly had a biff after the '93 Jap GP. Oh, and you can't forget Piquet/Salazar!
Old 18 Sep 2003, 12:57 (Ref:723016)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO Piquet was involved in many a problematic relationship; one not wholly revealed but really nasty was that with Senna.
Nelson undoubtedly suffered Ayrton's great popularity in Brasil (and not only there).
Piquet's rumours about Senna homosexuality, for instance were a sign of hatred that went far beyond the racing rivalry, even if it seldom brought to exciting racing fights.
Actually i'd guess that maybe only a strong rivalry has always effects on racing spectacle, the pure hatred not necessarily does..
Old 18 Sep 2003, 13:38 (Ref:723050)   #5
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Button & Villeneuve dislike each other so much why do they have BBQ's in the paddock together outside their motor homes eg Monza
Old 18 Sep 2003, 14:04 (Ref:723076)   #6
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, after a rocky start Villeneuve and Button are reportedly quite good mates these days. Even Ralf and Juan Pablo seem to like each other more than they used to, we need something to shake things up...
Old 18 Sep 2003, 14:43 (Ref:723104)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
IMO Piquet was involved in many a problematic relationship; one not wholly revealed but really nasty was that with Senna.
Nelson undoubtedly suffered Ayrton's great popularity in Brasil (and not only there).
Piquet's rumours about Senna homosexuality, for instance were a sign of hatred that went far beyond the racing rivalry, even if it seldom brought to exciting racing fights.
Actually i'd guess that maybe only a strong rivalry has always effects on racing spectacle, the pure hatred not necessarily does..
There was more behind the scenes about Piquet and Senna, than is known to public.

But Piquet has said that the fight was over shortly before Senna died. But again, we'll never know from Senna.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 15:15 (Ref:723135)   #8
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes bitter rivalrys are great, but the Prost/Senna Piquet/Mansell, not Hunt/Patrese.

Didn't Piquet say something once to the effect that Mansells wife was ugly?
Old 18 Sep 2003, 15:20 (Ref:723143)   #9
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bononi,
wasn'it Prost who said that, jst a few days before Ayrton's death?

Apart from that, I agree with you that Piquet-Senna war was more behind the scenes.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 15:20 (Ref:723144)   #10
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Schumacher/Hill had the potential to get fairly intense, but Schumi was head and shoulders above him, and then Hill joined Arrows.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 15:38 (Ref:723155)   #11
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
even Vill/ Schu could have exploded had JV stayed at Williams , especially this year, with Williams and Ferrari evens
Old 18 Sep 2003, 16:50 (Ref:723220)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
Bononi,
wasn'it Prost who said that, jst a few days before Ayrton's death?
In mid '93, during a TV interview, Piquet said he talked with Senna in a racing event, he said there was an idea of both working together for a charity programme or something. He said what happened in the past was over. Then 2 months ago, during a special for Nelsinho, Piquet talked about him again.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 17:14 (Ref:723241)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Piquet's relations with other drivers are easy to sum up.

Piquet was a hateful, gutless, selfish, vicious little POS.

Genuine rivalries ar enice to see though. Montoya V Ralf seems to be about the clsoest one currently. A lot of the drivers are very 'nice' right now, and seem far too determined to maximise car performance to worry about the non-computer aspects of their rivals.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 17:37 (Ref:723262)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Boots, say what you mean, don't pussy foot around.

As for rivalries that aren't, what about Alonso and Trulli? Apparently when one is having a bad day the other feels terrible! See that is good too.

And what about the '60s when it seemed all the drivers used to hang out with each other. Especially in the off season and when they were racing in Tasman.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 17:53 (Ref:723278)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide

The usual boots.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 18:22 (Ref:723308)   #16
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
[B]Boots, say what you mean, don't pussy foot around. [B]
Hahaha, so you don't like him then?

Quote:
[B]As for rivalries that aren't, what about Alonso and Trulli? Apparently when one is having a bad day the other feels terrible! See that is good too.[B]
Ahhhh true love
Old 18 Sep 2003, 19:46 (Ref:723417)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The evidence that Prost and Senna didn't hate each other all that much was the Adelaide '93 podium.

As for Villeneuve and Button, there's a story about how they park their motorhomes that sums up their improving relationship.

I think the closest we've come to a rivalry was Montoya and TGF after Brazil 2002. Soon fizzled out that one.......
Old 18 Sep 2003, 20:33 (Ref:723464)   #18
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Hakkinen/Salo?
I seem to recall that they didn't get on very well at all, but I never saw any evidence of that. Certainly it never manifested itself on the circuit.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 21:41 (Ref:723532)   #19
Piquet
Racer

Piquet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide

Mmmmm...

Can't say I totally agree with that boots but Piquet did bring a certain flare to the sport that is sadly missing these days.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 21:56 (Ref:723545)   #20
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
The Button / Villeneuve 'feud' was so obviously PR spin its ridiculous.

It did however work like a charm with all the F1 reporters dutifully concentrating on BAR at a time wwhen their on-track performance warranted rather less coverage.

Ho Hum
Old 18 Sep 2003, 22:06 (Ref:723554)   #21
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the story of their entire season methinks!
Old 18 Sep 2003, 22:14 (Ref:723565)   #22
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: I Wish More of the Drivers Hated Each Other

Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
I decided to post this after reading another thread with a quote from Senna about Prost ... basically, I want to say, wouldn't it be nice if more drivers hated each other?

I wish they were more vocal in their opinions of the rest of the field - I'm sick of them all being nice to each other! I'd like to see the drivers talk with more passion, emotion and rage ... we need some good, bitter rivalries!

At the moment, we have a few rivalries, but none of them are up to the level of repeated on-track battles or off-track biffs.

Villeneuve seems to be fairly vocal, he doesn't like Jensen Button or Michael Schumacher. And DC and JPM aren't big fans of Schumacher either. Other than that, there isn't really alot to get excited about...

How is a rivalry more fun if the drivers hate each other?:confused: You're not a WWF fan are you DNQ??

I'd rather see drivers race each other without colliding.

If Senna had lived, then Senna Vs Schumacher would probably have been the most ugly rivalry ever! I think Senna even punched Schumacher in the pits at one race (Hockenheim 1992?)
Old 19 Sep 2003, 00:30 (Ref:723659)   #23
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would prefer that the drivers LIKE each other. F1 is so devoid of humanity that it is difficult to sympathize with anyone. Having a favorite driver is hard when they're all @ssholes. The owners are all @ssholes too. Driver simply work together because they have to. They don't actually want to have anything to do with their teammate.
Old 19 Sep 2003, 06:23 (Ref:723761)   #24
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Re: Re: I Wish More of the Drivers Hated Each Other

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
How is a rivalry more fun if the drivers hate each other?:confused: You're not a WWF fan are you DNQ??

I'd rather see drivers race each other without colliding.
Well fair enough, but I like to see a bit of fury, aggression and rage in racing. Obviously not the whole grid, but I'd love just one or two bitter rivalries in the Senna/Prost mould - I'm probably using the word hate a bit liberally, but I'd like to see a situation where if two drivers started alongside each other, you could expect fireworks...
Old 19 Sep 2003, 06:44 (Ref:723773)   #25
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back in the day Alesi and Schumacher (when they were in position to battle each other) would always take it to the edge and what do you know, they are real good friends.