Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Oct 2000, 15:07 (Ref:40366)   #1
chow wei hsien
Rookie

chow wei hsien should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think we had plenty of talks lately about the drivers' attitude. Sadly, looks like quite a number of people hate my favourite. Anyway doesn't matter.

Why not, we switch our topic to team bosses instead of drivers? I think that would be great.

OK, hmmmm..... i think Ron Dennis might get the top spot for the most hated Team Boss in F1. He is an irritating sh*t who keeps on talking loads of bull SH*T.
I really applaud GT-R about his comments of Ron Dennis, typical Ron Dennis statement- Ferrari didn't win the race, we lost it. I really find these sort of statements from Ron Dennis very irritating.
And i hate his mind games as well, he is a real clown! you guys remembered what RD said in Monaco??... DC pressured MS into a mistake, MS hit the barriers.
what a bullsh*t from that clown. MS is not the type of guy who denies he made a mistake, and even though DC is on the tail of MS in Monaco, he has yet to make his pit stop.
There are too much stupid things said by Ron Dennis for me to state all of them.

Frank Williams is alrite, but i am sure there are quite a number of Damon Hill fans and Nigel Mansel fans who blamed him for not being able to retain the services of his team's world Champion. FW is really very harsh on his drivers when he has the best car and with plenty of drivers wishing to drive his car. Ohhhh.... and that Jenson Button thing, i don't get it man, FW is sort of like doing things this way - he wants to keep Ralf Schumacher coz he thinks he is a future champion, he wants Montoya as well coz he is talented, he loaned Jenson Button to Benetton and wants him back in two years. So, i guess, if Montoya doesn't perform, FW will surely want Button back.
Frank Williams still thinks that his team has the best car on the grid and he can reshuffle the drivers whichever way he likes!! kind of selfish

Jean Todt- i think he is one of the better ones ,though the Italian press gives him a bad time. Maybe some people might think that he is "preaching" too often, talking like a philosopher time and again. At least, what ever Jean Todt says is not stupid and doesn't annoy others, unlike Rone Dennis.

Craig Pollock- don't know much about him except that he talked big before. I remembered hearing him say, (at the beginning of 1999) " we want to win our first race in F1 (in melbourne). and you guys know what sort of season BAR had in 1999.

I just can't seem to find a team boss that i really love.
Help me find one, er... maybe the team boss of one of the ackmarkers like Minardi???? coz we seldom hear about them

Old 1 Oct 2000, 15:37 (Ref:40372)   #2
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well as I take it one of your fave drivers is Schumacher, you can have him as your fave team boss. He is the boss at Ferrari isn't he?
Old 1 Oct 2000, 15:40 (Ref:40373)   #3
Racer X
Rookie

Racer X should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I don't like Ron Dent-in-the-ass. I think that EJ is the best.
Old 1 Oct 2000, 16:39 (Ref:40393)   #4
Victor Broccoli
Racer

Victor Broccoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gian Carlo Minardi is the probably the most lovable. You know...the same kind of love you feel for a dog or a cat that's lost a leg.

Also, I like how he runs his shop, and keeps it afloat, despite the complete lack of money.

Prost...once again, a guy you can't hate because things just manage to go wrong...you can't hate that.

But, for some reason, I completely hate Glamour Flavio Briatore...why? I don't know...I just do.
Old 1 Oct 2000, 18:57 (Ref:40413)   #5
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is only ONE team bosss in my mind, Jordan. His energy and sense of humour have made me a firm Jordan team fan, and I'm sure it's the same for thousands of others.
Old 1 Oct 2000, 19:05 (Ref:40416)   #6
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EDDIE! EDDIE! EDDIE!

Need I say anything more than the above?

Eddie Jordan has brought into the 'fuddy duddy' world of Formula 1 an attitude that - from him alone - fans can identify with.

Nobody likes the McLaren or Ferrari bosses (or apparently their respective lead drivers) because they're boring old farts. If all team managers were like Jordan, F1 would be appreciated much more - particularly in the US. Note the one major criticism of the Indy GP from the regular race-going American public...
Old 1 Oct 2000, 19:16 (Ref:40420)   #7
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Billy_Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont like J Todt one little bit seems very sly,I think hes got his head so far stuck up TGF's arse their almost one.lol
Ross Brawn doesnt get enough credit at Ferrari.
Has far as like able it has to be EJ but does that make him a good boss.
I Think its easier to say who you dont like they all seem to do a good job .
As for Ron Dennis NO CompromiseI think that says alot about the team in general But where would they be with out Adrian Newey.
Tom Walkinshaw deserves a mention them Arrows are flying at the moment look at where they were while Damon was with em he just seems to keep his head down and get on with it.
Old 2 Oct 2000, 00:42 (Ref:40458)   #8
Dhru
Rookie

Dhru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ron Dennis - I hate that Man!!!!!!!!!! Who does he think he is? He is the biggest hypocrite in the pitlane. "I let my drivers race and be equal" What a load of bull****, he can't even admit that he favours Mika. And the man can't take losing.
Jean Todt - Very diplomatic, about everything. At least he admits his mistakes, adn will take the blame himself when things go wrong, unlike Ron Dennis and previous Ferrari mangers who found scapegoats. Reminds me a bit of Tom Seller's Inspector Clouseau in the Pink Panther movies.
Eddie Jordan - The biggest Bull ****ter I've ever seen, manages to get away with it and makes life amusing for the rest of us on the way.
Jackie Stewart - A bit too serious, and takes a completly political stance on everything, more like a robot than human.
Frank Williams - Don't blame him for getting rid of Damon Hill. Could you really spend more than a few years working with him? Besides, he was driving like granny on her way to the supermarket. Worse. He only just managed to fend off his team mate JV in '96. Who was a rookie, who hasn't been able to do much since his car advantage disapeared (not talking about his ability to blitz the start and become a mobile chicane). He's better than most, but I can't understand why he's stooped to licking Button's arse, he's not that good, not yet anyway.
Best of top five teams: Jean Todt. He's done a lot for the team, and isn't up himself.
Dhru.
Old 2 Oct 2000, 02:55 (Ref:40474)   #9
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just cant warm to Ron. He is just too paranoid for my liking. Continuously insisting that everbody including the FIA is against him when most of the time it is his strategic screw ups that cost the team races. His perpetual preaching on letting his racers compete against each other is a load of BS. I dont think most people would consider being able to fight for the first corner and then conceding defeat as fair racing.
Old 2 Oct 2000, 07:51 (Ref:40488)   #10
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jean Todt - After last year doings with Eddie Irvine have showed that this guy could nearly ruin his team's championship for the sake of TFG. The team boss who can't cope with his pilots ambitions costs nothing. Angst was right: real Ferrari's team boss is TFG.

Ron Dennis looks like gangster (He's said to have got marble floor in his motorhome), behave like gangster and suspect everybody to be the same.

Frank Williams can be cruel and hard. Often he's impossible to be understood. I can't love him, but I can't help to respect him. FW could rise from the ashes several times.

Stewart is a good farther first of all. He created his team for the son, and left it then Paul became ill. DHRU!!! How can you call this man the robot after that! How should look like the team boss whose son is suffering of the cancer?
Old 2 Oct 2000, 10:27 (Ref:40512)   #11
Blackjack
Rookie

Blackjack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give me a Ron Dennis or Frank Williams as a team boss anytime. Running any type of team is not a popularity contest. The boss has to take the responsibilty for all the actions of the team. Both of the above make the decisions and accept the responsibilities.
Old 2 Oct 2000, 10:35 (Ref:40513)   #12
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blackjack, despite what I think of Ron I totally agree with you. I hate the man, but if I had vested interests in a team, I would want him on my side( I would stay far away though).
Old 2 Oct 2000, 10:44 (Ref:40514)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Minardi, well i really like that guy!~ Doesnt whine even though he is under such great pressure to keep the team together.

Well, perhaps i have to agree that a team boss's job is to keep the team on the high and not win popularity contest. Frank Williams is a good example, strict and uncompromising, but still a pretty good gentleman. And not forgeting the NEW BENNETON BOSS.

However,Ron do not take responsibility for all actions of the team. In fact, far from it. He blames everything on the FIA, the backmarkers, the other teams, even the weather. The problem with him is that he thinks he is always correct, his team is always right, and the whole world is against him. And he is a sore loser. He never admits defeat. I agree with Max who said that Ron somehow thinks that he has a mission to control F1.
Well, i guess you cant blame him, life before being a team boss is kinda tough...and it makes him lose balance emotionally. He is currently the worst team boss i can think of up-down the whole pit lane.

And Jean Todt, he is generally a nice man. Perhaps for the past seasons he loved Michael too much, but this year, he is nice, deplomatic, and honestly happy for all success, yet encouraging when they experience setbacks.
Same as for many other team boss.

So...Mclaren may be at the front of the grid, Minardi behind. But when it comes to good team bosses, i'm afraid the truth is that Ron Sucks....
Old 2 Oct 2000, 11:12 (Ref:40519)   #14
Blackjack
Rookie

He may suck? But, he wins!
Old 2 Oct 2000, 11:34 (Ref:40522)   #15
LYM
Racer

LYM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everybody's got a part to play

Bad bosses for the jeers, good bosses for the cheers.
Good teams to race for the title, poor teams to make up the numbers.

I like all the team bosses, becos there would be no F1 without them.
Old 2 Oct 2000, 11:50 (Ref:40529)   #16
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, Mclaren did not win because of Ron Dennis being the ruler, but because Mclaren gave them a good engine, and Newey did a good car.

And, in Ferrari, there is a good relationship between the team boss to the last mechanic, often Michael and Todt are spotted with the mechanics. However, unknown is that in Mclaren, the gap is there. Ron hardly mixes with the mechanics, less so smile at them. And whilst Todt and MS often thank every worker for their contributions, for example 1998 in Japan, despite the loss, MS, Todt and Luca M went to thank eevery mechanic, Ron doesnt! When did you see Ron do that? All he does is to give his dear Mika a hug...after a win!~(and if he lost? A grouchy face for the rest of the week!)
Old 2 Oct 2000, 14:12 (Ref:40553)   #17
Blackjack
Rookie

I don't know, Ferrari had a good car, engine and driver since 1997 and they haven't been able to win. It takes more than a good car and engine. It takes leadership and teamwork and Williams and Dennis have been able to supply both. Being nice to the workers doesn't always get the job done.

Take a look at McLaren since Ron Dennis came on board 1980:

Manufacturers Championships - 7
Drivers Championships - 9

Williams since 1980 - Manufacturers Championships - 9
Drivers Championships - 7

Ferrari since 1980 - Manufacturers Championships - 9
Drivers Championships - 7

So maybe the bad guys are the winners.
Old 2 Oct 2000, 14:56 (Ref:40556)   #18
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Victor Broccoli
Gian Carlo Minardi is the probably the most lovable. You know...the same kind of love you feel for a dog or a cat that's lost a leg.

I'll print that one and hang it over my desk, everytime I read it I picture Mr Minardi with big brown eyes and floppy ears.

Most disliked: Flabio, because he kicked out Verstappen and replaced him with Herbert. Wich caused me to dislike Herbert for quite a while. Wich is stupid.

I think I like F. Williams most.
Old 2 Oct 2000, 15:27 (Ref:40557)   #19
Blackjack
Rookie

Correction to my last post, should read:

Ferrari since 1980 - Drivers Championships - 0
Manufacturers Championships - 3

Sorry about that
Old 2 Oct 2000, 16:21 (Ref:40569)   #20
Gt_R
Veteran

Ferrari had a good car, engine and driver since 1997 and they haven't been able to win.

You know why they did not win in 97?
Williams have a better car designed by newey, excellent engine from Renault, and also a driver as good as Michael....Jacques.
In 98 and 99?
Mclaren have an excellent car designed by newey, excellent engines from Mercedes and a pretty good driver.
Its impressive alone to say Ferrari actually could bring the championship to the wire in these 3 years, especially the finght back to close the gap from mclaren in 98 and 99.
Something achieved by a good team under a good leader.

The Championship is now very much a case of MS against Newey. The only right decision Ron made that's worthy of him to be a brilliant boss is to sign newey and a couple of excellent drivers (DC excluded)! Cant think of much he has done otherwise....
Old 2 Oct 2000, 19:27 (Ref:40609)   #21
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
It has to be Ron Dennis. Nothing more to say...

I don't particularly like Frank Williams' way of dealing with his drivers, but I really have a lot of respect for him after his car crash and the way he's fought back to do so well. Respect, but don't like.
Old 2 Oct 2000, 21:37 (Ref:40631)   #22
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Altough "Ross Brawn" is not a team boss but is one character in f1 I definitley love to hate

I admire Jackie Stewart for being witty yet very professional.

______
"Next time a Minardi blocks a Mclaren, Mr Minardi is on my hitlist." cheers guys. PS good topic Chow.
Old 3 Oct 2000, 01:16 (Ref:40660)   #23
Dhru
Rookie

Dhru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RussianFriend, I didn't mean like that! I just meant that as a team boss he gives nothing away, and always sits on the fence and rarely gives an opinion, but is always willing to throw in a few facts and figures.
Minardi is soo sweet... I think that Minardi is one of the few teams to really appreciate a point or a good race, and I think that they're like extended family to each other.
I agree with GT_R that this really a race between Michael and Newey, because before Newey boarded the McLaren bandwagon, it was going in reverse, and there was nothing Mika could do to push it forward, but this is exactly what Michael did at Ferrari in '96.
Dhru.
Old 3 Oct 2000, 03:07 (Ref:40668)   #24
Murph
Racer

Murph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team Managers.....show me the luv..

Team managers……… How can ya hate ‘em?????

Lots of ya are showing your biases….. (boy, that’s unique around here!)
Here is my “quick” take…. And why I like/respect each one of the “Big 3”…..

Ron Dennis
Ron Dennis has had the most impact on F1 over the past 18+ years. When Ron (with the help of Marlboro) took over from Teddy Mayer in the early ‘80’s he had a vision of what he believed a Professional F1 Racing Team should look like. He brought Niki back from retirement, hired John Barnard , convinced TAG to bring their considerable financial backing (from Williams) to McLaren to fund Porsche’s turbo engine… and he hasn’t looked back since. Yes….. there has been a hiccup or two… but Dennis’s philosophy of bringing together (1) sound financial backing, (2) hiring excellent drivers, designers, and engineers and giving them the where with all to be successful without any interference, and (3) and developing a strong working relationship with top engine manufactures ….. changed F1….. It was Ron Dennis that brought professionalism to F1…….though some teams are slow learners. Yes Ron is abrasive…..yes Ron is a poor loser ( hell… he’s a poor winner!)……yes the guy can drive even McLaren fans nuts….. but ….YES….he is brilliant…. PERIOD …… and the rest of the F1 world is playing catch up.

Frank Williams
Frank is a fast learner. Williams was the first team manager/owner to recognize where McLaren was taking F1… and he built his team using his version of the McLaren blueprint. He learned some valuable lessons along the way… make sure you can trust your engine partner (Honda) for one! …. and always remember ( and remind other’s who “think THEY are important”…) that Williams Engineering is MY team. Frank was the first manager to believe that the constructor’s championship was more important than the driver’s championship….. and that if HIS team puts together the best chassis/engine package you can win championships when you don’t have the “best” driver on the grid…. Seems a lot of fans can’t understand how Frank could let Nige and Damon go…..but to Frank’s way of thinking the driver is just part of the equation and they are interchangeable. If the package is the best available… you are EXPECTED to win…but if you (the driver) are found wanting and can’t get the job done (or want more $$$ than Frank is willing to pay… especially when he believes that drivers are interchangeable)…. YOUR GONE !. Damon Hill had the best description of Williams Engineering…. “They are engineers that go racing” All one has to do is see what a surprise the Williams BMW package has been this year…. Or….. IS it a surprise ? As Sinatra put it….. “I did it my way”…….

Jean Todt
Boy does this guy get hammered… a lot. But if you can remember (without the anti-Ferrari bias) where Ferrari was when he came over after leading Peugeot’s Le Mans program…..what Jean has done is remarkable. Luca gave him some space and $$$…Niki added his two cents (McLaren) worth … and Jean began to implement the McLaren blueprint. He took a shortcut by annexing key components of the Benetton team it is true… but Ferrari was still not finished with their reorganization going into the 1999 season. That has now been completed…with lots of ups and downs and just maybe a WDC is in the cards in 2000 to go with the 1999 Constructors championship……but there is a concern of some tifosi…. When Michael Schumacher retires….what will Ross Brawn, Nigel Stepney, Rory Byrne, Jean Todt ET all …do ? Has Ferrari truly followed the McLaren blueprint ? ….. will Ferrari simply “reload”… or have to “rebuild” ? But that is in the future…… Jean Todt has made Ferrari a “player” …again. This tifosi appreciates that fact.

Eddie Jordan
Just want to mention EJ. Of the rest he has his team “Move’n on up to the Eastside”. He’s not there…yet. He has to take advantage of his Honda connection to surpass BAR and become Honda’s “chosen one”. If he can do that……the rest of the pieces will fall in place. But by then …… EJ… and… Jean ….and…. Frank have to wonder……. what will Ron will be up to next ?

take care all,

Murph
Old 3 Oct 2000, 08:01 (Ref:40683)   #25
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe I'm showing my age.

Best team boss in the world? Ken Tyrrell.

Worst? Eugenio Dragoni.

And don't get me started on what Ferrari team politics were like when Dragoni was in charge...

Here's a thought - way back when, back in the days when as Liz says, "God was young", someone had the bright idea of having a team bosses race around Brands Hatch.

They gave everyone an identical Ford Escort, and let them get on with it. If I remember rightly, there were about 16 of them, and they included Colin Chapman, Frank Williams, Jack Brabham, Ken Tyrrell, Jackie Oliver, Mo Nunn.

It was a fantastic race, which resulted in 16 heavily dented Ford Escorts, a whole pitlane full of excited F1 drivers eagerly giving their bosses erroneous and unrepeatable pitlane signals, and I haven't the slightest recollection of who won!

But I do vividly recall Ken Tyrrell living up to his nickname of "Chopper". (Bonus mark for anyone who knows why "Chopper". It's not what you think!)

Now would that not be a good idea for a support race at the closing event of the year?