Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Aug 2013, 11:32 (Ref:3290958)   #1
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Silverstone sold.......

Apparently in The Independent - but it may still be true?

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-231220.html
Old 17 Aug 2013, 11:55 (Ref:3290972)   #2
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/m...x-8771357.html

from t' horses mouth!
Old 17 Aug 2013, 12:10 (Ref:3290976)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the story was broken by bernie's pet journalists, i wonder why they're keen to get the news out before an official announcement?
Old 17 Aug 2013, 12:14 (Ref:3290977)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No surprise, the place is staggeringly under developed when you compare it to other places in Europe, there is so little industry.

It might mean a lot more investment.

And for me with things like them charging for parking now, there seems to be a rather loose approach to their race meetings this year, they seem to be trying to fleece punters rather than entice them in, which never works
Old 17 Aug 2013, 12:52 (Ref:3290986)   #5
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The parking fees aren't an attempt to get more money - they're aimed at reducing the numbers of people driving in (getting them to use Park & Ride) so that the traffic congestion is less.
Old 17 Aug 2013, 12:55 (Ref:3290987)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Could be a good thing, although I confess to being a traditionalist.

Silverstone has a lot of attributes. It's far enough away from towns to allow the noise, but close enough to trunk roads to permit relatively easy access. So if, for instance, you wanted to build a technology centre, you have the ideal location.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 00:13 (Ref:3291138)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
hang on, going back to chunders comment about underdevelopment, name some other circuits in europe that have more development around them than silverstone?

magny cours has a bit, ricard has bog all, spa has very little, we all know the mess the nurburgring is in, hockenheim has a bit, though it is located on the edge of a reasonable sized small town, oschersleben has very little, barcelona is again, in the middle of montmelo, motorland meant well, jarama is located next to a motorway and a retail park, monza is monza....
Old 18 Aug 2013, 02:12 (Ref:3291169)   #8
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
The parking fees aren't an attempt to get more money - they're aimed at reducing the numbers of people driving in (getting them to use Park & Ride) so that the traffic congestion is less.

How big of them!

Along with the massively overpriced catering preventing us from getting fat!

I'll go with Chunder's theory!

Just another way to fleece the punters.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 02:48 (Ref:3291180)   #9
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
I wouldn't be sad to see it go. It's flat as a pancake and has had top-notch F1 sterilization techniques added onto it. Also, nice gray runoff areas a mile wide.

I wouldn't mind a GP at Rockingham for a little change of pace... bring back the Indy USGP days a bit. Talk about nostalgia...
Old 18 Aug 2013, 04:04 (Ref:3291197)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bella, I concur. But I see it as a far better prospect for development than say Spa, where they've built a technical college.

Beetle. Unless you've been there I'd suggest you do some research. The circuit was the first circuit to hold a World Championship GP. It has, like many, changed since then but I can tell you, having driven Brands Hatch, Spa, Zolder, and many other circuits, in its current guise it is great fun and very technical. You need big balls not to lift into Stowe and likewise when exiting Village on the GP circuit, you are accelerating over a kerb. Makes the car very skittish. I like it.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 06:26 (Ref:3291217)   #11
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
The key aspect is that that according to the article the new leaseholder will also now be the promoter of the BGP...who will surely only maintain it if the numbers and add up and the development is a winner...

We all know that the BGP contract is not really sustainable, is on a rising increment of 5% each year and ticket prices are already at the ceiling that fans will accept, so the business model for the race is backed into a corner, IMO.

I will bow to developers who see great potential at Silverstone, but to my mind it is in the middle of nowhere, has Milton Keynes only down the road that has a whole selection of hotels, business parks and high tech companies, is already the home to many automotive brands and is on a sub 40 minute direct line service to London...

The education is a good aspect, but of course the new building for that is already under construction.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 06:39 (Ref:3291219)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
How big of them!

Along with the massively overpriced catering preventing us from getting fat!

I'll go with Chunder's theory!

Just another way to fleece the punters.
The food outlets are trying to make money. The cost is comparable to any other event in the country. So, at least, it isn't a Silverstone issue. Cheaper than a lot, it seems to me. I am comparing to Twickenham, concerts at places like the NEC, air shows, etc...

At Silverstone you can take a packed lunch.

As for the circuit, I'm with Peter. It is a fast, difficult circuit -great fun.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 11:05 (Ref:3291280)   #13
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For a driver it might be great, but they don't make it available too much for track use, and days there are pathetically expensive. On some prices I looked it is comparable to Spa price wise, and come on anyone who compares that place with Spa is on another planet.

My comment about development links to the motorsport industry in this country, it is huge, yet how much of it is anywhere near Silverstone. You have a small business park, a few knackered old units and a racewear company that is so expensive no one uses it. So comparing it to other countries is a little harsh as other countries don't have the core of industry we have motorsport wise.

As for things like parking and food outlets, they will always be dear, captive audience etc.

But the parking thing really does annoy me, the space this place has is incredible, so why on earth do they feel the need to do this? utterly ruthless if you ask me, if they had designed the new bit better in the first place they wouldn't need buses internally which we are now fairly obviously being asked as punters to pay for, aswell as the development of the wing tunnel which is so ridiculously obvious I cant see why the cretins that designed the place didn't see it the first time!

Lots of places pass costs on to punters, but when those costs are the result of appalling planning and development I resent being asked to take the burden, or in my case I wont, I just wont go there again for bigger meetings.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 11:22 (Ref:3291281)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I only go there once a year. I'll save up for the parking......

Anyone who eats from the onsite catering needs their head examining - just go to Tescos on the way.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 14:31 (Ref:3291319)   #15
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The food outlets are trying to make money. The cost is comparable to any other event in the country. So, at least, it isn't a Silverstone issue. Cheaper than a lot, it seems to me. I am comparing to Twickenham, concerts at places like the NEC, air shows, etc...

At Silverstone you can take a packed lunch.

As for the circuit, I'm with Peter. It is a fast, difficult circuit -great fun.
I went to the first Race of Champions at Wembley. First of all you were searched going in and ALL food and drink was confiscated by the security staff (fortunately they didn't check my pockets an failed to find my hip flask). At the break between the Nations cup and the Race of Champions I had to buy to get some warmth inside, as it was freezing, some hot food and drink. I had five emaciated pieces of chick (I can't call it chicken as the pieces weren't big enough), a couple of luke warm chips and a cup of brown dishwater masquerading as coffee and that 5 star offering cost me £9 and that was in 2007 (I think). My packed lunch and my flask of coffee was taken from me so I had no option but to buy the Wembley food. Wembley had the cheek to say their prices were comparable to the high street. What high street? Monte Carlo?

As far as the sale of Silverstone goes I'll think I'll wait until we hear an official announcement and press release.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 21:08 (Ref:3291473)   #16
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
'Lease' is not 'Sale of ownership'.

That is a critical point. The lease has terms / will have terms. Holding the BGP may be a term of lease...
If the lease hold company goes broke or cannot operate properly do they forgo the lease so it returns to the club to find a new leaseholder / operator.

The devil is in the detail. If you think the BRDC has done a terrible job of running the place that is why every endeavour needs competent experienced hands at the controls, but people who also have a heart for the ideals of the sport or business involved and care about the people (customers too) who honour the establishment. You have to pick the right people to begin with.

Catering? If you tender the catering and pick the tenderers who give you the greatest return remember that they too have to make a profit. If half the prospects bring their own lunch then they have to pay their tender fee and their expenses and make their profit on the 50% who make use of their services.... so it ramps up explosively. But its not the best way to do it. However the BRDC probably doesn't have a fleet of volunteer cooks and chefs who can run it in house so that's what you get. It happens at all major events.

I eat before and after and take a minute personal supply to tide me through the hungry parts.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 21:19 (Ref:3291480)   #17
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Hah. I have taken back food many times now (I think im just growing into a cantankerous old git) to these food outlet places, coffees, hot dogs, burgers you name it, its been taken back and ive had a right go at how awful it is. I usually get blank looks, but boy does it feel good.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 09:03 (Ref:3291634)   #18
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I hope it is sold because whoever's in charge at present hasn't got it right.

I came home from the WEC round this year and it was probably the least I've ever had to complain about there.

It's a horrible concrete car park in the middle of the pretty Northamptonshire countryside with rubbish grandstands which fail to keep out the wind, which is relentless.

I'm still angry that Silverstone has missed the opportunity to get itself sorted. I fear it never will. It's still not a pleasant place to watch a motor race. I was really looking forward to a GP at Donington, which would have been magical, but I thought it would have been a nice consolation to have a much improved Silverstone.

As it is, it feels like in the Silverstone wing there is only one permanent building, the Loop section feels like a building site still, and there is no way to walk from the pit straight to the wing. I can't believe you still have to catch a bus to do it.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 14:42 (Ref:3291746)   #19
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Paying for parking will have an effect on attendances at most meetings, it is already one of the most expensive circuits to get into and if they start charging more then numbers will drop very fast, especially for less glamarous events, it might not cause that much drop for the GP or BTCC but for the other meetings it will a big effect.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 15:23 (Ref:3291758)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Since when have they started charging for parking, and how much?
Old 19 Aug 2013, 16:10 (Ref:3291774)   #21
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
It's a horrible concrete car park in the middle of the pretty Northamptonshire countryside with rubbish grandstands which fail to keep out the wind, which is relentless.

I'm still angry that Silverstone has missed the opportunity to get itself sorted. I fear it never will. It's still not a pleasant place to watch a motor race. I was really looking forward to a GP at Donington, which would have been magical, but I thought it would have been a nice consolation to have a much improved Silverstone.
I agree, my first trip to Silverstone was in 2005 so I got to see it before all this concrete paving madness started. However the finger of blame is often unfairly pointed at F1 for ruining circuits, but in actual fact it's the Bike Racing (MotoGP) stipulations that really spoil circuit layouts for spectators.

What the place really needs is a few more tree's planted around the circuit, they would help keep out the wind and give the place a more "Classic" feel to it.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 16:50 (Ref:3291787)   #22
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've had the benefit of going before and after the changes. After the wing opened the first meeting I attended was the FIA GT in 2011 I think, not sure without checking. It was the first time I'd been back since 2007 and I have to say I wasn't impressed as I felt it looked half finished, I didn't like the fact the Bridge section of track had gone, didn't like the new section of track and I was concerned that the atmosphere had been taken out of the place. Ok the crowd was sparse, it was cold, there wasn't any atmosphere to the meeting and builders were still working as the race was going on, so it probably wasn't the best time to see it.

Having been back twice this year for the GP and Classic, I felt the place had improved considerable but that it is clearly still a work in progress. It's certainly not there yet and maybe that's why they have felt the need to do this to get it to the next level. Still miss the bridge section though, although its not been dug up yet!
Old 19 Aug 2013, 17:35 (Ref:3291793)   #23
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not sure that Silverstone has ever really had much atmosphere. That was a bizarre argument against it going to Donington. Stick 100,000 Brits anywhere in the UK and you're going to get a good atmosphere. I'm not sure what Silverstone brings in that regard.

Brands Hatch is special no matter when you go. Even for something pretty big like the WEC, the place feels sparse and empty with a crowd as high as 40,000.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 18:11 (Ref:3291802)   #24
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I'm not sure that Silverstone has ever really had much atmosphere. That was a bizarre argument against it going to Donington. Stick 100,000 Brits anywhere in the UK and you're going to get a good atmosphere. I'm not sure what Silverstone brings in that regard.

Brands Hatch is special no matter when you go. Even for something pretty big like the WEC, the place feels sparse and empty with a crowd as high as 40,000.
Silverstone was famously described by one journo as being as 'welcoming as a cornered ferret' and to my mind it has always had that cold, industrial, grey feel to it. As you say this is magnified by it being created to take 100,000 plus people for one event, which leaves even large scale events looking poorly attended and frankly empty.

It's like playing local club football at Wembley apart from one weekend when they play the FA Cup.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 18:22 (Ref:3291803)   #25
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Could be a good thing, although I confess to being a traditionalist.

Silverstone has a lot of attributes. It's far enough away from towns to allow the noise, but close enough to trunk roads to permit relatively easy access. So if, for instance, you wanted to build a technology centre, you have the ideal location.
I'm not so sure about that, most science/tech parks and business parks are on the outskirts of cities or very large towns. There is a reason for this, easy access to skilled workforce, universities, rail network, communications, public transport, supporting industries/suppliers and all the other infrastructure being near a city brings.

Silverstone circuit is largely in the middle of field by the A43 and I would suggest too far from Northampton and Oxford and too close to Milton Keynes, which has all of the above which is why companies like, Red Bull Racing, VW, Mercedes -Benz and Suzuki have chosen to make their HQ's there.

Of course circuits have traditionally had some industrial development but this has mostly been small scale units for small supporting industry companies.