Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Nov 2000, 17:02 (Ref:50018)   #1
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to Formula1.co.uk,

In 2000...

Michael leads 548 laps out of the 921 laps (59.5%) he completed, while Mika leads only 352 laps out of 945 laps completed by him(37.2%). David recorded 107 out of 974(10.9%) and Rubens 59 out of 940 laps(6.3%). Its clear who dominated, taking into account that each of the Ferrari had 4 DNF, one more than the Mclarens. The only other driver to lead a race besides the top four is HHF with 9 out of 681 laps (1.3%)

Michael won 9 races, finishing 12 races in front of his team mate, and outqualifying him by a massive 15times!

The stats of race wins in WDC might prove little, as a terrific driver with a fast but unreliable car might not win any races despite being better than the WDC.

The percentage is to calculate pretty accurately the quality of a driver and car combination, as it get rids of the DNFs and showed what a driver could accomplish with a car that works. And it showed that...

Michael is truly in a class of his own...(but of course, Mika is close).

Rubens showed that the Ferrari is not better, nor worse, than Mclaren(put simply...pretty equal equipments), and how much better Michael/with Ferrari is over other drivers this year.

Old 27 Nov 2000, 17:33 (Ref:50021)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh Gawd.

I feel another "look how wonderful the Wunderkind is" thread coming on.
Old 27 Nov 2000, 18:28 (Ref:50029)   #3
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't worry, Peter, you won't find me contributing.
Old 27 Nov 2000, 18:54 (Ref:50043)   #4
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nor me!! As a tifoso I attribute all Michael's successes this year down to the brilliance of the car...
Old 28 Nov 2000, 00:25 (Ref:50105)   #5
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I feel another "look how wonderful the Wunderkind is" thread coming on.
OH GOD I LOVE THESE!!!!!!!

Quote:
Don't worry, Peter, you won't find me contributing.
Well everybody seemed so keen on contributing during the "Lets bag Schumi" period we witnessed a week ago.

Back to the topic, I think the statistics only confirm everyones belief that Michael dominated the season, and they come as no suprise to me. A comparison on the way Mika won his championship last year to the way Michael won his this year reinforces the fact that Michael is head and shoulders above the rest.

Quote:
To beat Micahel in equal equipment isn't possible. To do it in a better car is possible. And that's what Hakkinen's done, what Damon Hill has done and what Jacques Villeneuve's done.
Michael's the best by a mile. People still don't realise how good he is.'

-Eddie Irvine
Old 28 Nov 2000, 06:49 (Ref:50132)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by neutral

Well everybody seemed so keen on contributing during the "Lets bag Schumi" period we witnessed a week ago.

Back to the topic, I think the statistics only confirm everyones belief that Michael dominated the season, and they come as no suprise to me. A comparison on the way Mika won his championship last year to the way Michael won his this year reinforces the fact that Michael is head and shoulders above the rest.[/B]
So the massive increase in Ferrari reliability and performance played absolutely no part in this year's championship then. Glad we sorted that one out in a very non-biased and "neutral" way.

Come on folks. Yes he is good and the stats show that. Yes he has made the best of the best equipment (this year) and yes, after Melbourne I said he would be world champ. (look at the posts from that time). But that's all he did. It wasn't the second coming. We're really not seeing the very best ever driver because there have been much better drivers against their own opposition/era.

Failing all that. Let's "bag" the B*"$!&d.
Old 28 Nov 2000, 07:58 (Ref:50136)   #7
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Geez...i think i got carried away in my previous post..(i always let michael get in the way of my better senses..) I'm sorry to any anti-Schumi pple out there...dont worry, this one have no "SCHUMI IS THE BEST BECAUSE HE IS THE BEST" stuffs in it

But well, the statistics showed only 5 drivers leading races, which i personally believe is bad (not to mention making F1 predictable)...where are the 17 other drivers??? I watched a few CART races and i saw numerous lead changes, but of course, its ridiculous for so
many Safety Car periods which play havoc to the results.

Is there a way of achieving a compromising formula in Formula One whereby with the current well organisation of every F1 race, we could see the whole field, or at least half of it, have a go at the lead due to the equalities of teams, just like in Cart...but without the stupidity of having so many SC periods?

No matter what, i still love F1 more than Cart...

Quote frm PM: "So the massive increase in Ferrari reliability and performance played absolutely no part in this year's championship then. Glad we sorted that one out in a very non-biased and "neutral" way."

Rest assure that i fully believe that the Ferrari is very much an excellent, fast and winning car which is just as good as the Mclaren, and contributed to a large % of Michael's success...(though not much to Rubens).

By the way, i could not recall, and cant find info... but is Ferrari's reliability in 2000 better than 1999? anyone?
Old 28 Nov 2000, 08:14 (Ref:50137)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well, from memory, they had failures at Silverstone, then the following races when the car wasn't up to the pace. Those were put down to reliability/mechanical failure.
Old 28 Nov 2000, 10:09 (Ref:50143)   #9
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes he has made the best of the best equipment
Well its a shame that the likes of Murray Walker, Martin Brundle, Eddie Jordan, James Allen and Alan Jones dont think so. Considering their resume's with regards to F1 and yours Peter, I think I'm more inclined to follow their opinion.

Quote:
Glad we sorted that one out in a very non-biased and "neutral" way.
If my memory serves me correct Peter, you have hardly been "Mr. Objective" either.

Old 28 Nov 2000, 11:26 (Ref:50147)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Objectivity? Don't think that can be considered in such a subjective arena.

However I think I'm right in saying that Alan Jones once called your boy an "arrogant Kraut" on international TV.

However the stats ARE saying that Ferrari were among the most reliable this season. If we look back over the previous season(s) we may find that they weren't so reliable. In fact I believe they were found wanting in that department previously and even your boy has been quoted as saying the same.

So, remember, you could be the best in the world but if you haven't got the equipment you get no points.

In the middle of this season Ferrari did something I don't recall seeing before. They raised their game and made it stick. That was the difference this year. It was the team which gave Schumacher his WDC not Schumacher grabbing it from the jaws of defeat.

BTW. Its easy to follow the leader. Sometimes you have to take your own line.
Old 28 Nov 2000, 12:23 (Ref:50149)   #11
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
neutral, Peter is absolutely correct that Schumacher owes his championship to the reliability of the Ferrari this past season.

On a different thread, I pointed out an Article on Atlas from two weeks ago which was a recap of the season without the presence of Ferrari or McLaren. One interesting aspect of that fantasy, was that Frentzen, who had challenged for the "Real" WDC in 1999, set a number of Fantasy "Poles and Fastest Laps" although he didn't gain his first "win" until Indianapolis.
The point of all this is that in the "Fantasy" world, the fastest driver wasn't winning because the Jordan was so fragile last season. In "Reality", the fastest driver won because his car actually reached the finish line.

I don't doubt Schumacher's skill relative to that of the other drivers on the grid today, in fact I think that he has a magical quality, I just don't think that he is "The Greatest Ever".

I think that a clearer measure of his skill is the races won when the Ferrari was a real pig of a car.
Old 28 Nov 2000, 12:58 (Ref:50153)   #12
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
downforce is screaming.........!!!!!

Baaaaaaaarsaylonaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa'96.....!!!!

Great stats Gt_r....Yawn at the thread tho!