Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jul 2002, 20:17 (Ref:325373)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the rumours are true, we will see a Jordan-Ford next year again

Remember the last time Jordan used Ford engines in 1991? Well, if the rumours are true, then Jordan will reunite their partnership with Ford for 2003, and we will see a Jordan-Ford again for the first time since 1991. We probably won't see the 7up livery ever again though.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 21:44 (Ref:325445)   #2
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish EJ the best. I think that he is going to regret losing Honda if it does happen. Ford have been really silent about their motor and its development. Honda is making strides and will continue to do so. Personally I think Honda is going to keep both teams for next year. I feel that their involvement with BAR will increase to a point that will resemble a partnership. Maybe in 2004 Honda will have one team. Right now I still feel that they need both teams to develop what they hope will be the best motor in F1. This year they hoped to be as good as the best.
I don't see any reason to drop Jordan at this time. Jordan is the only reason that Honda is not at the back of the grid. Two teams mean double the info. which calculates to faster development. Honda is the most improved motor since the start of the season. In every race their has been an improvement in their motor. The motor was revving at 17300 at the start of the season now its over 18k. It is no longer the weakest motor on the grid. Jordan showed some real speed in Canada.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 21:51 (Ref:325450)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Cosworth isn't actually too bad an engine either. Arrows had done some pretty good stuffs with it too. At the start of the season, Honda was forced to run with relatively limited revs to ensure reliability/drivability... now they are trying to explore the engines limit.

Jordan for now seems to be best to stick with Honda. Honda is still quite a good choice for the mid-fields, as they have great potential to improve greatly. As for rumours with Ford, there are supposedly 4 teams wanting the Cosworth, and Cosworth said they will limit supply to 2.
Old 2 Jul 2002, 00:34 (Ref:325526)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, considering how Jordan is being shafted by Honda, taking Cosworth engines is probably the most sensible idea he's come up with in a long time!

The Cosworth has proven to be fairly reliable, and is not lacking in the grunt department either.

Bolted to a well designed Jordan chassis, and with Giancarlo driving, it could produce some nifty results.
Old 2 Jul 2002, 06:55 (Ref:325618)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a pity EJ can't get his hands on Ferrari power, as ironically they provide a great deal for a smaller budget team. The deal comes with Ferrari engine, gearbox, rear-end and electronics - which is why we have seen such good speed from Sauber, as the car is virtually 50% of a Ferrari 2001.

This is why it's amazing that Prost managed to turn such a good platform into such a terrible car!

Nowadays, the strength of the car design is not EJ's forte -or any of the small teams, as they can't afford the R&D or level of F1 designer. By getting a Ferrari deal, it seems that even a team with small resources can produce a front runner.

If you were a small team boss, what would you rather have for 2003, 50% of a Ferrari F2002 to work with, or the best that your depleted technical dept can come up with......
Old 2 Jul 2002, 07:42 (Ref:325643)   #6
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
The deal comes with Ferrari engine, gearbox, rear-end and electronics - which is why we have seen such good speed from Sauber, as the car is virtually 50% of a Ferrari 2001.
I think you've got it all wrong....Sauber only buys the engine and maybe there are some technical favours in terms of advices.

Gearbox are in house built by Sauber. The electronic gadgets, fuel injection, Ignition, brakes, suspension and so on are from the same supplier as Ferrari are using.
Old 2 Jul 2002, 12:56 (Ref:325840)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I caan see you guys don't read F1-Live. Jordan will lose Honda power end of this year, and are searching for a new engine for next year, either Cosworth or Asiatech, and it seems that Minardi are also looking for a new engine for next year. Maybe Arrows will get shafted in the shuffle.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 2 Jul 2002, 12:59 (Ref:325843)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ford would (should) be more than capable of also supplying Jordan and Minardi, but do they want to?

Well, they've already announced they'd be more than happy to supply Cosworths to Jordan, who would have no other choice than to opt for them once the Honda announcement is official.

But will they want to supply Minardi as well? If PS can come up with the funds, I see no reason why Cosworth couldn't do it.
Old 2 Jul 2002, 13:03 (Ref:325848)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Niki seems to be having second thoughts about even supplying a second team. , let alone a third or fourth.

Old 2 Jul 2002, 16:17 (Ref:325930)   #10
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If things look bleak , then maybe Bernie will step in , otherwise there gonna be teams without a engine to use .

I also think that EJ has been part shafted by Honda , But that is F1 i suppose.
Old 2 Jul 2002, 16:30 (Ref:325936)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Well if Honda breaks the contract with EJ then we can only assume there will be a payoff. So I would not say they have shafted them. If the motor is really good next year then maybe EJ should feel a bit shafted. Until I hear an official announcement from Jordan and/or Honda I wont believe that the engine deal is lost. The press uses their best "guesstimates", they dont know. If EJ is dropped one can then only assume that Honda will be working on an official Honda team car.
Old 2 Jul 2002, 18:23 (Ref:326006)   #12
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan - contracted until 2003.

Asiatech want to take a "sabbatical" year to concentrate on chassis.

Minardi have Mark Webber.

Jaguar want Mark Webber.

Minardi want Cosworth engines.

Arrows have contract. Provided they can pay for the engines, they're sorted - otherwise it's a Hart jobbie for 2003.
Old 2 Jul 2002, 23:18 (Ref:326220)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
If things look bleak , then maybe Bernie will step in , otherwise there gonna be teams without a engine to use .

Actually, his name is Barnie. Good idea just the same. Cut holes in the bottom of the cars, and put Rubble in one, Fred in the other, and we could go the whole race without any pit stops for fuel.

Old 3 Jul 2002, 17:23 (Ref:326590)   #14
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
I say Jordan Honda will finish next year in 5th behind BAR. Ford has seen that their works team needs restructuring. They need to work on that. Imagine what Jordan would do to Jag. It would be sick and embarrassing.