Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 20 Oct 2008, 14:10 (Ref:2316723)   #1
stoppodriver
Rookie

England
Cambridge
stoppodriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone here Marshall Hot Rods ?

Next season i'll be racing a Classic Hot Rod , the one thing that really bothers me is if I end up against the wall when do you get out ? do you let all the other cars go round once so they know your there then bail out - or will the marshalls tell you when to get out ? Regards Al.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 16:39 (Ref:2316786)   #2
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firstly, big thumbs up for choosing to race a Classic Hot Rod - these are the machines from my childhood and they
make a truly glorious sight and sound - what car are you going to race?

With a lap time of 15-16 seconds (certainly <20 I'd hope!) you've got no real chance to get out of a car entirely safely unless you're well onto the infield. However, you can do things yourself (depending on level of any damage to your car) that will make things a lot easier. If you simply breakdown, if you can't get to the inside of the track then you can stay 'coasting' on the extreme outside and then cross the track at the last minute to get to the infield - the marshals will usually cover you with a yellow flag whilst you do this. If you aren't confident you can get to the infield, pulling up in the centre of a turn on the outside is your best bet (anywhere else and you run the risk of a bigger impact from a following car) - again the marshals will give you cover, whilst a decision is made on whether to leave you there, depending on how long the race has to go etc. You should look to the marshals on the inside of the turns and give them a clear thumbs up to show you're ok, and also make sure you're belts are still WELL done up! I would then sit still, facing forward with your head against the seat and wait for the end of the race - you are obviously at risk of being hit by another car(s).

If you're involved in an incident and your car is stranded on the track, please NEVER loosen your belts, try and get out or even start craning your neck to see what's coming from behind. Do the sit still, belts tight, facing forward (looking for marshals who will be trying to signal you to get a thumbs up) until a marshal type person walks up to your car and invites you to get out.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 16:41 (Ref:2316787)   #3
banger_racer
Racer

England
essex
banger_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The marshal will normally tell you when its safe. But dont undo your belts until they say so or you can see track is clear. getting hit while not wearing them and your against the wall hurts!.
see post above for great advise

Last edited by banger_racer; 20 Oct 2008 at 16:49.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 17:03 (Ref:2316801)   #4
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger_racer
The marshal will normally tell you when its safe. But dont undo your belts until they say so or you can see track is clear. getting hit while not wearing them and your against the wall hurts!.
see post above for great advise
Banger drivers will more likely try and get out of their car during a race (being contact allowed and all that) but unless your car's on fire I wouldn't recommend it!
Old 20 Oct 2008, 17:44 (Ref:2316829)   #5
banger_racer
Racer

England
essex
banger_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually i got hit while borrowing a mates lighting rod a few years ago.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 17:49 (Ref:2316833)   #6
greenbean
Racer

New Zealand
brierley hill west mids
greenbean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
always stay in your car even if you happen to be turn upside down do not release your belts till some won comes to help you if you are in a dangerous place they will usually stop they race and retrive any cars in danger
Old 20 Oct 2008, 19:41 (Ref:2316935)   #7
stoppodriver
Rookie

England
Cambridge
Many thanks for the replies - if the worse happens i'll stay tightly strapped into the GT8 highback . In answer to Deadsquirrels question , i'll be racing a MK 1 Capri ( i'll prepare an Anglia as a spare car ) - i'll be the one starting at the back for the 1st 3 meetings ( as a newboy ) then starting at the front and finishing at the back ! Many thanks , regards AL.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 20:34 (Ref:2316981)   #8
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
dave vass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was Incarace promoter Philip Bond who set up a short circuit championship for classic hot rods. www.incarace.co.uk and www.classic-hot-rods.com are the websites to look at.
I am an Incarace Steward, and the answer to your question is quite straight- forward. If you are left on the track, after crashing or breaking down; the Steward will decide if he thinks that you are in a dangerous positon. If he decides that you are, then he will put the race under caution (waved yellow flags all around the track, no overtaking, pace car intervention), while your car is removed. The whole time you are on the track in your car you should remain helmeted and belted up. Usually it is the safest place to be, the cars lap in 15 seconds, therefore trying to get out can be dangerous!
My recommendation to you is that you go to a few meetings to spectate before you start racing. We still have 5 meeting left this season at Birmingham Wheels including the National Hot Rods on November 8th.
Come and see me in race control at any of those meetings and we can have a chat.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 20:42 (Ref:2316987)   #9
stoppodriver
Rookie

England
Cambridge
Thanks Dave , i have been to Northampton , Arena Essex and Wimbledon and i've been to the last two driver meetings for the formula . Thanks for the advice , if i don't see you at Birmingham this season i hope to be there next season with the Capri. Regards Al.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 21:04 (Ref:2317005)   #10
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
dave vass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al, I'll look forward to meeting you and seeing your Capri, which if my memory serves me right will be the first?! As you will have already found out, the drivers are a friendly bunch; and some of the marshals also have circuit experience.
Old 21 Oct 2008, 18:52 (Ref:2317791)   #11
stoppodriver
Rookie

England
Cambridge
Yes it's the only one so far , probably a good reason for that - they're too heavy ( there were a few around in '73 ish ) at least it's something different and as i've not raced before , i don't think the car will be the limiting factor .
Regards Al.