Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Aug 2004, 12:18 (Ref:1059252)   #1
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best overtaking move of 2004 ( so far )

so lets talk about the best overtaking moves of the season so far.......

Im going to go for Sato overtaking Trulli at the last race in Germany ..Sato taking the outside line at full speed around Jarno on the flat out run towards the Hairpin .... Jarno tried squeezing him onto the grass at something like 180MPH , ...yet , Sato just kept his foot flat to the floor and overtook with one side of the car practially on the grass....that was pretty impressive ..

im sure there are loads of others from other drivers ...its just thats the one that came to mind for me straight away ...

what do you think ?

Last edited by Sato san; 7 Aug 2004 at 12:18.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 12:22 (Ref:1059255)   #2
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson Button's on the ailing Alonso car - If you ask James Allen.

Unfortunatelly this season has not seen a lot of overtaking - there have been odd moves which a lot of people have disregarded and forgotten unfortunatelly.

I liked Sato's move, but another impressive bit of work was Mark Webber's pouncing on Trulli just after Sato went throught, very aggressive, but it worked.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 12:25 (Ref:1059261)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Re: Best overtaking move of 2004 ( so far )

Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
Im going to go for Sato overtaking Trulli at the last race in Germany ..Sato taking the outside line at full speed around Jarno on the flat out run towards the Hairpin .... Jarno tried squeezing him onto the grass at something like 180MPH , ...yet , Sato just kept his foot flat to the floor and overtook with one side of the car practially on the grass....that was pretty impressive ..
I agree, and when I saw it instantly thought it was one of the most ballsy moves I've seen in a while.

Thats the problem with Sato though, he has to be one of the bravest drivers out there, but just does'nt seem to know when he should let his balls do his thinking.

There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity, and more often than not with Sato, that line is behind him. Part of being a great overtaker is assesing the risk, and sometimes, waiting for a better opportunity. In this respect, Sato has no idea.

That said, he has to be one of the most sensational drivers to watch, and at the very least we know he will provide action wherever he can. If we had 19 more drivers like him, we would be laughing (but I dont think Charlie Whiting would)
Old 7 Aug 2004, 12:30 (Ref:1059265)   #4
BIGMOUTH
Racer

BIGMOUTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Best overtaking move of 2004 ( so far )

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex

Thats the problem with Sato though, he has to be one of the bravest drivers out there, but just does'nt seem to know when he should let his balls do his thinking.

There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity, and more often than not with Sato, that line is behind him. Part of being a great overtaker is assesing the risk, and sometimes, waiting for a better opportunity. In this respect, Sato has no idea.
I agree with that part of what you said. And yes that move was very good, and worked beautifully. But more often than now he goofs it up...
But yeah I reckon thats the best move of the year so far, but then again I can't even think of any others?
Old 7 Aug 2004, 12:57 (Ref:1059290)   #5
Refutation
Racer

Refutation should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm quite fond of his move on Olivier Panis,at the USGP.That was a knuckle biter for sure!
Old 7 Aug 2004, 13:06 (Ref:1059294)   #6
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I think its fair to say that Sato would feature prominantly in both the top 10 best overtaking moves as well as top 10 worst for 2004.

Thats his style though, and I'm sure as his experience goes up, so will his passing success.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 13:09 (Ref:1059298)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed. It's much easier to tidy up speed than speed up tidiness, as Gilles Villeneuve once said.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 13:25 (Ref:1059305)   #8
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sato on DC at Bahrain.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 13:35 (Ref:1059311)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Webber on Trulli at the hairpin at Hockenheim, right after Sato went through.

It's about the only one i remember actually...
Old 7 Aug 2004, 13:40 (Ref:1059316)   #10
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Sato on Ralf in Bahrain.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 13:47 (Ref:1059321)   #11
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubens vs. Trulli in France wasn't bad either, but Sato at Hockenheim was great
Old 7 Aug 2004, 14:00 (Ref:1059330)   #12
Son of Jor-El
Racer

Son of Jor-El should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with the Sato/Trulli one. Even though, over the course of the season, the amount of overtaking has been down on last year, Sato has brought the most entertainment this year.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 14:01 (Ref:1059332)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Button on Alonso
Old 7 Aug 2004, 14:02 (Ref:1059334)   #14
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hockenheim
Old 7 Aug 2004, 14:10 (Ref:1059342)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I agree with the Sato on Trulli move, but i also think that Webber's move right after is very close, if not for pure optimism alone.

Another one was Sato's move on DC at Bahrain (as already mentioned), he did it properly, which was the exact opposite of what Rafe did when he tried to take Sato.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 14:44 (Ref:1059355)   #16
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso's excellent outside move on Ralf in the tunnel at Monaco. True bravery on Alonso's part...

Oh wait, that didn't work, did it?

Hmmm, lets see...

Danica Patrick
Old 7 Aug 2004, 14:47 (Ref:1059360)   #17
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
button overtaking everyone to land the williams seat for 2005..
Old 7 Aug 2004, 14:50 (Ref:1059362)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sato on anyone you can think of.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 15:03 (Ref:1059368)   #19
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Webber's pass on Ralf at Malaysia...and Massa, Fisi and a few others on the same lap.
Have liked Taki in action too.
Alonso on Ralf.
Button on Alonso.
Old 7 Aug 2004, 19:02 (Ref:1059513)   #20
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also, Button's on DC at Nurburgring.
Old 8 Aug 2004, 15:34 (Ref:1060167)   #21
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sato AND then Webber on Trulli at Hockenheim - Sato for having the balls to go around the outside on the dirt with the grass about an inch from his right tyre - and then Webber for his cheeky move as Trulli was recovering. The best 1-2 move I've seen in a while...
Old 8 Aug 2004, 15:58 (Ref:1060185)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
How many moves has Michael done this year?
Old 8 Aug 2004, 16:22 (Ref:1060198)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He hasn't needed to.
Old 8 Aug 2004, 18:07 (Ref:1060263)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Which is a real shame for F1.

As an aside, i wonder how many moves Rubens has had to make? Not many i would guess as he gets the same "pit" service that Michael does, only from further back down the grid.
Old 8 Aug 2004, 21:04 (Ref:1060433)   #25
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Hell! Sorry, answered the wrong thread. Has to be Frank Williams on Dave Richards.