Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 6 Jun 2003, 14:34 (Ref:622936)   #1
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
silverstone test FR

Session 2

1st Rossiter 1.32.305
2nd Hamilton 1.32404
3rd Sisley 1.32.566
4th DiResta 1.32.566
5th Scott 133.032
6th Coulthard 1.33.103
7th Murphy 1.33.216
8th Hollins 1.33.416
9th Spencer 1.33.439
10th Conway 1.33.534
Storckenfeldt
Lloyd
Jimenez
Stoddart
Polar
Stoderberg
Epton
Wilson
Glew
Menghello
Reeves
Tahinci
Kershaw
Welch
Calasan
Byrne
Thomas
Mussi

Old 6 Jun 2003, 17:56 (Ref:623065)   #2
pb btcc
Veteran

pb btcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1.32 the fastest lap was it wet or something
Old 6 Jun 2003, 18:02 (Ref:623071)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
wet all day except at the end of the day when it dried out a lot. i think a lot of people might have gone for slicks rather than wets? anyone who isn't guessing like i am care to help out?
Old 6 Jun 2003, 18:28 (Ref:623094)   #4
Freddie
Racer

Freddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I will.

Everyone was on wets all day until the final red flag. Then Glew, Hamilton, all 4 fortec cars and most of the grid went to slicks.

Rossiter has been ballistic all day (and arrogant as usual!). He is the quickest although the times for the day will show Glew as he had most laps on slicks right ay the end. I don't think the test results today will reflect what will happen tomorrow or Sunday. Rossiter and Hamilton will be quick. Not sure what happened to Conway, looked a bit understeery (is that a word). Lloyd also did not look happy and the car looked a bit 'iffy'. Maybe Mr jinxx can shed some light on that for us.

There were very mixed conditions, with a dry line appearing on numerous occasions through the Complex.

I think we will see the usual suspects up there in qualifying tomorrow.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 19:22 (Ref:623134)   #5
Mike Wazowski
Rookie

Mike Wazowski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have been following the season this year, Hamilton always looks fast; I think they run him light on fresh slicks to get him near the top of the time sheet, therefore keeping his sponsors happy. Also, given the money being poured into his partaking in the championship, you'd expect results. It's the exact opposite with Jensen Motorsports; if they took on drivers with realistic budgets they might get off the bottom of the sheet... Should Renault Sport impose a minimum budget next year to keep the competition closer?
Old 6 Jun 2003, 19:48 (Ref:623162)   #6
Mike Wazowski
Rookie

Noticed Jensens second driver didn't appear on the times above. Is he still with them? If so, are they going to paint a big orange box on the grid for the race so his stops at the right place this time?
Old 6 Jun 2003, 19:55 (Ref:623167)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
charles hollings was also on slicks at the end of today. i was watching from the complex, and wasn't close enough to see, but anyone whose tyres were squealing (ie most of the mob) had wets on cause they're much harder than the slicks. right?
Old 6 Jun 2003, 19:59 (Ref:623173)   #8
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Alex Lloyd is cracking under the pressure
Old 6 Jun 2003, 20:02 (Ref:623175)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i think it was just a really big lottery. half an hour after the session finished the sun was out and the track was a very long way towards being dry.

about half the field stayed on wets, half were on slicks now i really think about it.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 20:02 (Ref:623176)   #10
Mike Wazowski
Rookie

Slicks are softer, but even they squeal if the car is drifting on dry tarmac
Old 6 Jun 2003, 20:04 (Ref:623178)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
not round luffield they don't.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 20:08 (Ref:623182)   #12
Mike Wazowski
Rookie

Certainly in the test at Thruxton every car was sqealing on the first turn. Even though they are officially slicks, they are not particularly soft compared to some other Formulas.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 20:12 (Ref:623187)   #13
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Usually a wet tire is softer than a slick actually, not sure about in Renaults. But squealing is usually wet tires on a drying track, as each different patch of the tire (created by the grooves) acts as its own mini tire, whereas a slick is a single piece of tire on the road. So you're hearing the individual patches breaking traction, and once you get all of them sliding, off you go. Thats why a roove is n easier tire to drive than a slick.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 20:12 (Ref:623188)   #14
Mike Wazowski
Rookie

Bella: if you want to get close enough to see the tyres, I found a pit pass on ebay earlier. I think it's from the RenaultSport people
Old 6 Jun 2003, 20:46 (Ref:623221)   #15
Freddie
Racer

HHHmmmm. Interesting views.

Firstly, Alex is not cracking. He either had a problem today or (I think) his line through 'The Complex' was the dry line and not the wet line that Rossiter/Hamilton were taking. Mr Jinxx, help me out here. Certainly it looked that way.

It was the wet tyres squealing and Russfield is right. A slick on a damp surface just slides with no noise.

This is interesting, but tomorrow will be a different story. Qualifying will be dry and the top 5 will be as per the past few races.

Sunday in the wet will be interesting.

Do not write Alex off because of 1 bad test session. It happens to everyone at some point.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 20:52 (Ref:623229)   #16
Mike Wazowski
Rookie

What are the odds of Mussi and/or Clark (if he shows) starting on the back of the grid?
Old 6 Jun 2003, 20:54 (Ref:623231)   #17
Freddie
Racer

What?

Forgive me for being aggressive but.....is this relevant?
Old 6 Jun 2003, 21:12 (Ref:623247)   #18
Mike Wazowski
Rookie

All the cars are supposed to be the same, yet Jensens are always on the last row. And normally a second behind the rest. The top cars are usually the same half dozen drivers, but their positions change, showing that it is down to driver ability. How can one team be so different?
BTW, on predictions, I reckon Conway could be a winner this weekend, Rossiter second, Hamilton third.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 21:16 (Ref:623253)   #19
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You seem to have a prblem with Mussi and Clark then Wazzer?
Old 6 Jun 2003, 21:21 (Ref:623264)   #20
Freddie
Racer

Mike

The cars and engines are the same. BUT, and it is a big but, there is more to a successful driver/team then meets the eye.

For instance, my opinoin (what it is worth) is that the most important person in a team is the engineer. Not the mechanic, not the manager/owner, and not the PRs, driver managers etc.

A good driver will extract the best out of what they are given. Hamilton, Lloyd, Conway, Sisley, Rossiter are all good drivers but they have the engineers and just as importantly, the data to give them the extra few tenths to make a difference.

In the long term, the team with the best engineers and data will win, and therefore attract the best drivers and the effect in expenential (I think that's how you spell it), and the best teams become better.

Any views?
Old 6 Jun 2003, 21:22 (Ref:623268)   #21
Mike Wazowski
Rookie

On the contrary, Clark must be good, coz he won a championship last year. I reckon Mussi would be further up the grid if he was in another car. Do you know if there are any "methods" that teams use to make their cars quicker?
Old 6 Jun 2003, 22:03 (Ref:623325)   #22
Freddie
Racer

Clark? Who Clark?

Quick, 'cos I'm going to bed.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 22:08 (Ref:623331)   #23
Freddie
Racer

Mike

You are 'The Mechanic' looking for work.....YES?

Some history please....................
Old 6 Jun 2003, 22:16 (Ref:623341)   #24
Mike Wazowski
Rookie

You know someone with a vacancy?
Old 6 Jun 2003, 22:47 (Ref:623372)   #25
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry for coming in here a bit late (the stella was calling)what were the top six, i heard that some guy called glew was fastest, please bring me up to speed.