Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Nov 2007, 18:55 (Ref:2068270)   #26
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFW
Hi Esper,

No I am not, but I did have lunch with one last week if that counts at all ?

J

Who paid????
Old 17 Nov 2007, 13:01 (Ref:2069538)   #27
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
JFW will have lunch with anybody!
Old 17 Nov 2007, 13:16 (Ref:2069544)   #28
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is he from Essex?
Old 17 Nov 2007, 14:36 (Ref:2069573)   #29
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
He's quite posh Terry - he's probably heard of Essex but never actually been there!
.....and I know who you're referring to but I'm saying nothing - you've got me into enough trouble
Old 17 Nov 2007, 14:53 (Ref:2069576)   #30
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
He's quite posh Terry - he's probably heard of Essex but never actually been there!
.....and I know who you're referring to but I'm saying nothing - you've got me into enough trouble
Ooop's, Sorry John,that was never the intention

I take it we've treated ourselves to a new car.Much more class than a Mondeo.

Last edited by terence; 17 Nov 2007 at 14:57.
Old 17 Nov 2007, 15:27 (Ref:2069584)   #31
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
John,

The Capris are both Alan Daffyn creations. The Mann car is a very well prepped Group 1 mk3 with about 30 - 40 bhp more than me so its gratifying to note that I beat it three times out of four this year!

The blue one is Alan's usual mount so unless he sold it, it was on loan. Again a very well prepared car but the boot spoiler and other things suggest it was running its x pack group 2 kit.
Old 18 Nov 2007, 00:45 (Ref:2069882)   #32
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Is he from Essex?
You are so sailing close to the edge Mr B!...lol
Old 18 Nov 2007, 12:12 (Ref:2070106)   #33
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 1 - WHT - Heat 1

I must admit that I don't try very hard to fully understand the qualifying process for the WHT Final, but there are opportunities for those who fail to make their mark in the qualifying heats to get through later, although that is pretty hard to achieve, I understand. I'm sure that Ian could explain in greater detail if he so chose! Ok, so it's simple really!

However, the first heat, was held before lunch on Saturday. It is quite unusual to see a Formula Ford 1600 racing alone, especially at the front, but young Wayne Boyd is one of the rising stars of this series and he won the first heat comfortably by over 5 seconds in Van Diemen RF92:-

More typical was the race for 2nd, and this was only a heat! Morgan Dempsey (46 - RF91 - 2nd), Edward Moore (9 - RF99 - 3rd), Barry Linley (76 -RF90 - 5th) and Patrick McKenna (191 - RayGRS07 - 4th). Just one second covered all four at the end:-

Not very historic but I'm flexible! Nick Jones finished 10th in his RF01:-
Old 18 Nov 2007, 12:41 (Ref:2070126)   #34
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
I take it we've treated ourselves to a new car.Much more class than a Mondeo.
it is a Mondeo, just a heavier one with a cat on top of the grille !
Old 18 Nov 2007, 12:50 (Ref:2070134)   #35
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

I had to get the Jaguar version - the steering wheel swings upwards when you remove the ignition key, thus making it easier for old people to get in and out.
Old 18 Nov 2007, 12:57 (Ref:2070139)   #36
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Sorry John,I had no idea that you let Claire drive it.
Old 18 Nov 2007, 17:34 (Ref:2070280)   #37
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Terry - If I say I thought that was funny, I'll have to find a way to 'sew 'em back on' In fact, I may be in trouble just admitting that I've read it!
Old 18 Nov 2007, 17:53 (Ref:2070292)   #38
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
Terry - If I say I thought that was funny, I'll have to find a way to 'sew 'em back on' In fact, I may be in trouble just admitting that I've read it!
you are both going off topic...this thread is about the WHT not who drives your dagenham dustbin Mr Smith
Old 18 Nov 2007, 18:07 (Ref:2070302)   #39
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
You know,personally I think the WHT is one of the better meeting's at Silverstone,we were lucky this year with the weather but it is still a credit to HSCC.

{this is the right thread,is'nt it/}
Old 18 Nov 2007, 19:18 (Ref:2070345)   #40
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
I must admit that I don't try very hard to fully understand the qualifying process for the WHT Final, but there are opportunities for those who fail to make their mark in the qualifying heats to get through later,....
John, I had a copy of how it works and gave John Smith it in his notes for that meeting....if you want it for clarification Im sure he can dig it out and relay it to you
Old 18 Nov 2007, 20:32 (Ref:2070391)   #41
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Post the perfect formula for a proper race weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!.it was just because of my over 16 year traditon of Spanish Trials weekend I couldn't attend this terrific WHT race weekend.....don.t frustrate me more than this.... You know I even bought my youngster prefered racecar for this weekend. the immoratal Swift DB88
but WHT is first put on the list for 2008.!!!!!!!!
Old 22 Nov 2007, 07:51 (Ref:2073191)   #42
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 2 - WHT - Heat 2

The race at the front was extremely close. Here, James Nash (79-Van Diemen RF92) leads Stuart Gough (29 - Ray GS07) and Ian Gough (Swift SC95), but it was the newer car (the Ray!) that won this heat from Nash and Ian Gough. Two Tenths covered all three at the flag!:-

Will Schryver (38 - Van Diemen RF99) dives up the inside of Gaius Ghinn (RF00). Schryver went on to finish 8th, whilst Ghinn was 12th:-

Last but not least! The Lotus 61 of Tony Folkes. Note that presence of a single marshal seems to highlight further the complete absence of spectators in the stands behind. A real shame:-

Last edited by John Turner; 22 Nov 2007 at 07:56.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 10:11 (Ref:2090403)   #43
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
WHT - Heat 3

I didn't get many shots of this heat, and what there were are rubbish. It was won by Josh Fisher (Mygale SJ01), with Gavin Wills (Van Diemen RF00) 2nd, just 0.076 behind and Peter Barrable (Ray GR05) 3rd, within a second of them both.

David Grady recovers from running wide in his Van Diemen RF02 to finish 12th. Behind is Lee Centamere's RF89 (18th):-

Derk Rodgers was 10th in his RF91:-
Old 19 Dec 2007, 11:18 (Ref:2091857)   #44
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 4 - HSCC 40km Open Wheel

The first break in the FF1600 races, this was, by the standards of the weekend, a relatively small grid, but provided variety in the different open wheelers entered.

There was strong tussle between the March 712 (50) of Paul Bason and the Chevron B39 of Sandy Watson, and although Bason posted fastest lap, it was the Chevron driver who prevailed in the end to win by 2 seconds. HSCC Classic F3 Champion, Ben Simms was 3rd, albeit a further 15 seconds back, in his March 803B:-

Tony Keele was 4th in his Palliser WDB3 (36), with Trevor Arkell 5th in his Reynard SF81 (4). However, the gap between them at the end was very substantial, but judging by the closeness of their best lap times, Arkell must have had either an 'off' or suffered a power loss towards the end of the race:-

Alex Classick took 8th in the Merlyn Mk11A:-

Last but not least, the Elva 100 of John Greenwood:-
Old 19 Dec 2007, 22:07 (Ref:2092292)   #45
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
great pics, i don't hope the 2008 version is round 10 11 october, that would get me mad (of anger)
Old 19 Dec 2007, 22:40 (Ref:2092313)   #46
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

I don't know that a date's been fixed yet but, based on previous years, it would likely be the first weekend in November
Old 20 Dec 2007, 08:05 (Ref:2092478)   #47
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 5 - WHT Heat 4

A very close race in which Noel Dunne pipped Graham Carroll by just over a tenth of a second; both in early 90s Van Diemens.

James Fugett (98 - Ray 95F) eventually found a way to pass Ian Howard (37 - Van Diemen RF87) to take 14th:-

Gary Jones (33 - Van Diemen RF91) finished 3rd and just ahead of Liam Payne (Swift SC93). In the background, heading into Brooklands, Westie Mitchell (21 - Merlyn Mk20) and David Wild (57 - Ray 00). They had swapped places by the fall of the flag, to finish 8th and 9th:-

Surely a rare outing for Ed Mcdonough? Seen here in his Macon MR8, finishing 17th:-

Unfortunately, some never make it to the end. The Van Diemen 93FF (RF93? or is it actually a Reynard - I'm hopeless at identifying these cars and rely entirely on programmes and results sheets) of Samuel Carrington Yates didn't even complete a full race lap, whilst John Murphy's RF99 is unceremoniously lifted away after completing just 5 laps:-

Last edited by John Turner; 20 Dec 2007 at 08:48.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 08:44 (Ref:2092492)   #48
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 6 - WHT - Heat 5

Whilst Peter Dempsey pushed off to win by 7 seconds in the Ray GR05, it was Jay Bridger (22 - Van Diemen RF01) who finally prevailed in this great three way battle for 2nd place! Paul Dagg (8 - RF91) and James Cole (0 - RF99) followed him home and just 4 tenths covered them at the flag! William Zollo, in the background came in 5th in Reynard 92FF:-

Andrew Macgregor was 15th in his RF86:-

Roy Macgregor, 18th in RF 82 (sorry, this one is more out of focus than usual!):-

Peter Daly (189 - RF89) just held off Nathan Freke (Swift SC93) to take 6th:-

Last edited by John Turner; 20 Dec 2007 at 08:49.
Old 22 Dec 2007, 10:28 (Ref:2093705)   #49
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 7 - HSCC 40km Closed Wheel

An excellent and varied grid of cars. Stuart Tizzard would probably regard this as his best race of the season. Consistently the only one who gets close to the Chevrons, he is usually a fairly slow starter and takes a lap or two to get up to pace. Not this time though. Capitalising on the absence of the Schryver clan Chevrons, he shook of the early challenge of Sean McClurg's B6 to chase down and harry Sandy Watson's B8 version for several laps before he made a successful overtake in his Lenham Spyder and held the lead to the chequered flag, winning by 0.6 seconds. It was a well deserved victory:-

A first lap incident for David Edwards in his Camaro ended his race and all he could do was to trickle back to the pits. Here he is being passed by 3rd place McClurg, already on his 2nd lap:-

Starting from a lowly grid position, Henry Mann (Yes, Alan's son) took several places to finish 15th in the Capri:-

Jonathan Gomm brought his Lotus Cortina home in 7th place. Behind is the blurred image of the MGA of 8th place finisher, Steve Smith, whilst tackling the entry to Brooklands is a the 3 wheeling Mini of Roger Godfrey who failed to finish:-

Briefly a fine battle for 4th place between the E-type of Mike Luck and the Porsche 928 of Paul Anderson appeared to be brewing but Luck pulled out after 5 laps, leaving Anderson to finish in that place. I believe this was the first outing for the E-type which I understand will be a welcome addition to the Heritage GT ranks for next season:-

Nigel King gets out of shape in his attempts to hold Gordon Bruce at bay. However, the MGB prevailed over the Galaxie and drew away to take 10th by nearly 6 seconds. Tizzard awaits his opportunity to lap them both:-

Lap times suggest that Simon Drabble would have been involved with the E type/Porsche battle above but he spun on the first lap. Nevertheless, he enjoyed his charge back through the field and finished 5th, just under 10 seconds behind Anderson at the flag. I never seem to be able to get a decent front 3/4view of the Merlyn Mk6. Sorry, Simon; must try harder next year:-

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Jan 2008 at 10:12.
Old 24 Dec 2007, 11:25 (Ref:2094425)   #50
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Normal(ish!) service will be resumed after the festivities!