Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 29 Aug 2001, 21:02 (Ref:138020)   #1
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
The Best SUV Shocks...

Who do you think make the best shocks for my SUV...92 Mazda Navajho..Same car as a Ford Explorer...BTW I do not do any offroad.

Thank you...Jeremy
Old 29 Aug 2001, 22:28 (Ref:138123)   #2
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Koni, in my experience, are the all-round best dampers.
Old 30 Aug 2001, 00:56 (Ref:138236)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Thank's Ray..I used Koni Sport on my Alfa and liked them alot...Here in the states shops are telling me I should install KYB on the truck? Edelbrock is also another one I was thinking of...I want to take care of some of the body roll this SUV has..
Old 30 Aug 2001, 01:06 (Ref:138239)   #4
Ray Bell
Veteran

If the issue is body roll, then dampers aren't the problem, though they do have an indirect effect.

You need sway bars for that... which should be a little less expensive.

In my days in the trade, KYB were real cheapies, and I think the business sees a lot of brands go from that to a 'quality' line with different paint and fancier packaging. The Gas revolution, though I don't believe it was necessary, has shifted the goal posts a little, and I don't really keep in touch with it now. But I know Koni, and they are devoted to making good bits.
Old 30 Aug 2001, 21:10 (Ref:138613)   #5
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I bought my used Explorer, it had expensive shocks on it. When it was time to replace them, I just bought a heavy duty shock made for light trucks. They worked fine and saved a lot of money compared to a top brand name like Koni. And yes I do a little offroad. The Explorer really does need beefed up anti-roll bars too. At least the 91-94 models did.
Old 30 Aug 2001, 21:29 (Ref:138638)   #6
Ray Bell
Veteran

Are Konis no longer repairable?

This was always one of their features, saving a tidy sum if they started to leak or fail in any way. And the purpose of their adjustment was to compensate for wear over a lifetime.
Old 30 Aug 2001, 22:57 (Ref:138713)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Thank you Ray and Neil...I relize that shocks alone won't take care of body roll..It's a sway/roll bar issue..The thing is,and I am sure Neil will agree these SUV's are not that well balanced..Right now mine has Gabriel Shocks which were on the truck when I bought it..Well they are **** quite honestly,and I am sure did not work the day they were installed LOL

So I think I will go with the KYB Gas(they only come in Gas) as everyone here, seems to think that they will more than do the job..IMHO I think that the tyre problem involving Ford/ Bridgstone-Firestone is due more to the design of the Explorer than anything else..What do you think Neil?

Regards to you both....Jeremy
Old 31 Aug 2001, 00:04 (Ref:138740)   #8
Ray Bell
Veteran

Were the Gabriels bled? Of course, gas shocks don't need to be bled...
Old 31 Aug 2001, 03:39 (Ref:138814)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I was not aware that you bled shocks?? They(the Gabriels that is) were on the Mazda when I bought it..But they are cheap to start with, about $20.00 US a piece..it also had realy terrible tyres..I just fitted some Daton Daytona by Bridgstone...Great I love them, they stop me in the rain, traction was my main concern of course..They were $358.00 US for four.. I have also been told that Edelbrock shocks are fantastic, and make a very big difference in ride and handling

Last edited by JeremySmith; 31 Aug 2001 at 03:41.
Old 31 Aug 2001, 08:46 (Ref:138895)   #10
Ray Bell
Veteran

Sure, non-gas dampers need bleeding.

They have oil in the inner tube, where the piston runs, and an reservoir of oil in the outer tube, but there is air space to enable compression to take place when the piston rod (shaft) comes into the damper on the bump or closing stroke.

Now, usually they lie on shelves while they await fitment, or sometimes people will extend them on their side or even upside down... and they will thus either leak or draw air into the inner or functioning tube, past the footvalve.

The remedy is to close the shock while upside down, then invert it to the proper upright position (or at a slight angle, actually, is better) and open it. Doing this several times is good insurance before installation.

If my explanation isn't sufficient, just tell me where I have lost you... anyone? Without drawings it is somewhat complicated to get in mind...
Old 31 Aug 2001, 18:06 (Ref:139129)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
These are Gas Ray...But thank you, you really know your stuff..
Old 31 Aug 2001, 22:00 (Ref:139282)   #12
Ray Bell
Veteran

I was in that business for a long time.. but it was a while ago.

Ya gotta learn something!
Old 1 Sep 2001, 01:33 (Ref:139398)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Of course and I can see that you did..KYB it will be I think..They are supposed to be realy fine..

BYW this is a great little forum...The road car one I mean..Has anyone ever suggested a "chat room" idea for 10Tenth's?? that would be so much fun don't you think?
Old 5 Sep 2001, 19:26 (Ref:142025)   #14
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jersound
IMHO I think that the tyre problem involving Ford/ Bridgstone-Firestone is due more to the design of the Explorer than anything else..What do you think Neil?
Sorry Jeremy for the long delay in responding. I've been "absent".

For many reasons, none of them sound, I tend to defend the design of the Explorer. The one I bought had the original dreaded Firestone Wilderness tires on it. I never rolled over, the tires never separated, and both the car and the tires gave satisfactory service over their usefull lives. If by "design" you mean that a SUV has a higher center of gravity than a car, and it's truck frame and solid rear axle make it less "pliable" on the road than a car, then yes, the SUV design makes it more susceptable to roll over than a car. Still, don't people realize that when they buy the damn thing and drive accordingly?
Old 6 Sep 2001, 05:52 (Ref:142270)   #15
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know about the USA, but here in Australia advertising for what you call RV or SUV constantly refers to car-like ride and handling. I don't know what sort of car they're referring to but it must be a shocker!

My boss, who like most people knows little about cars, has been totally hooked by this line. He has a Toyota Prado (miniature Landcruiser) and he loves it, every time we go somewhrere he likes to point out the excellent ride and handling. I'm too keen to keep my job, so i don't advise thim that people who don't know how to really drive a car, wouldn't know the difference between a Lada or a Porsche, from the driver's seat.
Old 7 Sep 2001, 18:42 (Ref:143260)   #16
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
No problem Neil..And hello David!

I have just looked back in here myself..I think you are both absolutley right.Most people would not know handeling if it hit them on the bum. You just can't throw one of these trucks around like it is a Porche..My Mazda SUV is just like an Explorer made by Ford for Mazda..I love it it's well built, engine and tranny are still in really good condition and it is reliable..IMHO I think that Bridgstone/Firestone make some really fine tyres,I have just installed some Dayton tires made by Bridgstone which feel and ride wonderfully..I have not driven a BMW X5 but I think that is quite a car, sorry truck uhhhhh SUV..what do you think?

Warm regards to you both....Jeremy
Old 7 Sep 2001, 22:30 (Ref:143421)   #17
snakepit27
Racer

snakepit27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
get ur shocks @ a discount price www.wrenchhead.com