Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Apr 2014, 18:04 (Ref:3400089)   #1
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
COTA seating recommendations

For those of you that have already been, I was hoping to get some advice on where to sit. I will be walking around most of the time but still want reserved seating. The ideal spot would allow a good vantage point, perhaps the entrance or exit of a turn instead of my just watching them fly by.

I'm leaning towards turn 15.

Any advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by porman; 30 Apr 2014 at 18:20.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 19:20 (Ref:3400121)   #2
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
I think you are leaning in the right direction. Top row of turn 15 grandstand towards turn 16 would be ideal. I was there last year and asked the guy giving the tower tour which he would pick if he was spending his own coin, he said that spot.

I bought my plane tickets last week and am looking forward to going back. It's a great circuit.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 19:21 (Ref:3400122)   #3
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'll be able to try out any seat you want when you are there. I'm guessing they are only selling reserved seats so that you can kick others out if they are sitting there? The prices are the same as a GA ticket. Only the F1 and MotoGP events are truly reserved. (Although, don't blame me if they change from what they've did last year at GA and ALMS/WEC!) Even at MotoGP, for the Friday and Saturday they let you into the reserved seating areas.

You're right, Turn 15 is the best spot to watch a majority of the race. There's a TV screen across from section 25 (close to the bridge) and a scoring pilon, and high up you can see some of the esses, from entry into Turn 11 all the way to exit of Turn 15. And if you turn around, you may be able to see turn 1.

Turn 1 is okay, but other than that one turn, you feel so far way from the rest of the track. But it does give you a good overview of the track.

Grandstand is super loud and only interesting for pit stops (and for shade, as it is one of the few covered spots around the entire track).

The grass hill at Turn 19 is surprisingly good too. A lot of offs for F1 and MotoGP, although not too many for sportscars. Definitely try out spots along the esses too.

FYI, last year they had Turn 11 closed off from spectators at the ALMS/WEC event (didn't try to walk down there for GA).

Hope this helps!
Old 30 Apr 2014, 20:16 (Ref:3400140)   #4
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eric's correct. Reserved seating wasn't used by anyone that I saw. I never sat in my seats. I did buy reserve on the front straight, under the roof, just in case they were enforcing seat numbers, and it was raining, or really hot and sunny. Only sat there a couple of minutes, wandered the track, mostly.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 30 Apr 2014, 20:58 (Ref:3400149)   #5
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bought GA last year, ignored all the ushers and sat everywhere! Ended up spending a fair amount of time in the main stands during that monsoon thing that happened on Friday, which I was completely and utterly unprepared for. Watched the ALMS and WEC starts from the turn 1 grass, it was adequate for the start but not where I'd want to spend an entire race.

Echoing what everyone has said above, on the straight between 15 and 16, up high, is where it's at. You get the longest sustained view of the cars and ample interclass passes and lockups through the dual hairpins. Close to all the food and drink amenities and the sponsor areas. Those stands were also the only spot I saw with roving beer sales in the stands, so that's a bonus.

I booked my hotel room WAY in advance before the UT schedule was revealed, just in case UT had a home game (they have a bye week this year). Can't wait to go back!
Old 30 Apr 2014, 21:11 (Ref:3400153)   #6
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for your input. I initially thought reserving a seat that I won't use is absolutely absurd. Better to be safe then sorry.

Is it easy to roam the track? I plan on canvassing just about every corner in the hopes of getting as physically close as possible to the action. Photo wise I am limited to a 200mm zoom. Do you think that will suffice to get descent pictures?
While I'm at it, any recommendations for some good barbecue in the Austin area?

Thanks again!
Old 30 Apr 2014, 21:20 (Ref:3400158)   #7
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
Is it easy to roam the track? I plan on canvassing just about every corner in the hopes of getting as physically close as possible to the action. Photo wise I am limited to a 200mm zoom. Do you think that will suffice to get descent pictures?
Yeah, easy enough. As EricS mentioned, the Turn 11 area was closed last year; they were in the process of putting up the grandstands for F1 (I assume). Despite it being closed, no one was guarding it, so I was able to walk all the way around to the RV area. The bridges are fairly smartly placed; the most "remote" part of the track (other than Turn 11) is probably Turn 1, takes a while to either take the bridge to the support paddock or the tunnel to the main paddock.

One note, the WEC teams get the F1 garages, so it's tough to get a good look at those cars in the paddock without an invitation!

I brought a 250mm (on a crop body), and found it to be more than adequate. You're not going to find any photo holes, and the catch fencing is unrelenting all the way around, with a secondary fence between the GA areas and the marshal access roads, further complicating things. Most of the berms allow you to shoot over the fencing without too much hassle, and the undulations of the track help to ease the angle. I generally find shooting around the fencing part of the fun/challenge!

Some of the best spots for photos were on the bridge stairs; the sides of the stairs weren't covered, offering some great shots. I was surprised there weren't ushers hurrying people along, as it was getting quite crowded and there was a lot of L-glass.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 22:31 (Ref:3400178)   #8
porman
Veteran

Great insights. I have reserved turn 15 and am eagerly awaiting my first WEC race. I figure this is the next best thing to Le Mans seeing as how I cannot make it to the crown jewel. I plan on bringing my monopod and will use the bridges to good effect.

How was the swag for the WEC teams last year? My better halve won't be in attendance so I plan on utilizing my poor judgement.

I apologize for all the questions. I am a bit pumped for this one. I have been to numerous ALMS races and used to attend the classics at Laguna Seca but I consider this to be a different animal. If anyone wants to meet up for a cold one just let me know.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 22:36 (Ref:3400180)   #9
porman
Veteran

[QUOTE=Cuttlefish;3400149]Those stands were also the only spot I saw with roving beer sales in the stands, so that's a bonus.

More like a necessity!
Old 1 May 2014, 01:38 (Ref:3400197)   #10
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's a good idea to get a reserved seat instead of GA since it's the same price. I'm glad I read this post before buying tickets!

I went to F1 last year, with general admission, and it was so crowded, I was pretty much stuck in turn 1 for the race.

I'm really looking forward to parking at the track and staying in an Austin motel at a reasonable rate for this race.

This is video I took form the F1 race, the first half of which shows views from turn 1, the esses section, and the turn 18-19 area.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62RwGlZJvC8

And for BBQ, there's lots of good places in Austin. Franklin BBQ is generally considered the best in Texas, but they're only open a few hours a day, and can get huge lines. Rudy's is also great, even though it's attached to a gas station. Both are paper plate, picnic table style which is the way to do it. I plan on hitting up Rudy's while I'm there.
Old 1 May 2014, 01:46 (Ref:3400199)   #11
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
Quote:
How was the swag for the WEC teams last year? My better halve won't be in attendance so I plan on utilizing my poor judgement.
Unfortunately, very little-to-zero WEC team swag last year at CotA. Typical ALMS booths though. Hoping it's better this year with Porsche being there. But who knows.
Old 1 May 2014, 03:47 (Ref:3400210)   #12
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was there separate admission for reserved seating and GA last year? I think the same ticket could get you anywhere, but I don't remember any more. The grand stands are the only place with shade. From there, you also have access to the only air conditioned bar. I watched the race for about one hour from the grand stands, then for the seats at the end of turn one, then the S-curves, and so on, until I have spent about half hour at every seating area, and returned to grand stands one hour before the end of race.
Old 1 May 2014, 11:35 (Ref:3400312)   #13
porman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
That's a good idea to get a reserved seat instead of GA since it's the same price. I'm glad I read this post before buying tickets!

And for BBQ, there's lots of good places in Austin. Franklin BBQ is generally considered the best in Texas, but they're only open a few hours a day, and can get huge lines. Rudy's is also great, even though it's attached to a gas station. Both are paper plate, picnic table style which is the way to do it. I plan on hitting up Rudy's while I'm there.

$79 for two days is a great deal in my book. Much better than the gouging you take to watch an F1 race. I also opted to paying $30 for two day parking. Thank you for the BBQ recommendations. Rudy's it is!

My only regret is coming in around noon on Friday. Rudy's will be hard to resist before making my way trackside.
Old 1 May 2014, 11:51 (Ref:3400319)   #14
porman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS View Post
Unfortunately, very little-to-zero WEC team swag last year at CotA. Typical ALMS booths though. Hoping it's better this year with Porsche being there. But who knows.

Lets hope the WEC teams want our dollars the second time round. I can't see the Porsche marketing machine missing out on an opportunity. Just so long as Porsche isn't charging their normal exorbitant prices. If anyone wants to say hi I will be wearing my favorite buttweiser tank top and sporting a mullet.

Old 1 May 2014, 15:45 (Ref:3400414)   #15
nkoske
Racer

United States
Bay Area, CA
nkoske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling24 View Post
I did buy reserve on the front straight, under the roof, just in case they were enforcing seat numbers, and it was raining, or really hot and sunny.
What we did too.

Not much cool swag. I got a COTA shirt I wear pretty often. Normal ALMS stuff. FIAWEC tent had some give aways, but didn't really notice any FIAWEC team gear.
Old 1 May 2014, 16:07 (Ref:3400423)   #16
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I really hope WEC makes a shirt this year with the schedule on the back, like most series do.

Last year they only had individual race shirts and one design for the series and it was just a print on the front with no mention of the races.
Old 1 May 2014, 17:35 (Ref:3400457)   #17
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
BBQ advice:

Rudy's is fantastic, and you can't go wrong there. They have perfected the chain BBQ restaurant here in Texas.

But, since CotA is on the southeast side of town, I would recommend making the 20 minute trip to Lockhart. There are three awesome BBQ joints within a mile of each other: Black's, Kreuz's, and Smitty's. Here's a review of all three: http://www.epicurious.com/articlesgu...-of-texas.html
Old 1 May 2014, 18:02 (Ref:3400473)   #18
porman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS View Post
BBQ advice:

Rudy's is fantastic, and you can't go wrong there. They have perfected the chain BBQ restaurant here in Texas.

But, since CotA is on the southeast side of town, I would recommend making the 20 minute trip to Lockhart. There are three awesome BBQ joints within a mile of each other: Black's, Kreuz's, and Smitty's. Here's a review of all three: http://www.epicurious.com/articlesgu...-of-texas.html

Much obliged!
I plan on hitting more than one place. I grew up in Southern California where there are a plethora of options if you fancy Mexican food. Now I'm in Jersey without BBQ or good Mexican food.
Old 1 May 2014, 19:19 (Ref:3400503)   #19
nkoske
Racer

United States
Bay Area, CA
nkoske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Disagree...I'd have to say "The Salt Lick"

Yes it does look like that. AND it's bring you're own beverage. Feel like a Jack and Coke. Pick up a bottle of Jack and some Coke, don't forget your cooler full of ice and you are good to go. I didn't appreciate it fully the first time I was there. But, when the table next to us rolled up their cooler and pulled out a bottle of wild turkey I vowed I'd not make that mistake again.

Only draw back is it's 20-30 min south of Austin so a car is a must.
Old 1 May 2014, 19:28 (Ref:3400508)   #20
GriffM3
Racer

United States
Houston, TX
GriffM3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkoske View Post
Disagree...I'd have to say "The Salt Lick"

Yes it does look like that. AND it's bring you're own beverage. Feel like a Jack and Coke. Pick up a bottle of Jack and some Coke, don't forget your cooler full of ice and you are good to go. I didn't appreciate it fully the first time I was there. But, when the table next to us rolled up their cooler and pulled out a bottle of wild turkey I vowed I'd not make that mistake again.

Only draw back is it's 20-30 min south of Austin so a car is a must.

Salt Lick is a fun experience and has the ambiance of being out in the country but nothing beats the BBQ in Lockhart, TX.
Old 1 May 2014, 21:47 (Ref:3400535)   #21
porman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffM3 View Post
Salt Lick is a fun experience and has the ambiance of being out in the country but nothing beats the BBQ in Lockhart, TX.
Just about everything beats the barbecue in New Jersey.
Old 1 May 2014, 22:09 (Ref:3400541)   #22
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
It would also take ~45min to get to the Salt Lick from CotA. It's not nearly the same, but there is a Salt Lick in the Austin airport. So, you can stock up on BBQ while you are waiting for your flight home.
Old 4 Sep 2014, 17:02 (Ref:3450286)   #23
porman
Veteran

I just wanted to revisit this thread to thank everyone for their advice. The race is just around the corner and I can hardly wait.

Another question if I may. I will be arriving around noon Friday and it looks like the Pit lane walk will be closed once I arrive. Will I still be able to get close to the WEC teams and transporters after this time?

Thanks again!!
Old 4 Sep 2014, 19:09 (Ref:3450323)   #24
stampchez
Rookie

stampchez should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I just wanted to revisit this thread to thank everyone for their advice. The race is just around the corner and I can hardly wait.

Another question if I may. I will be arriving around noon Friday and it looks like the Pit lane walk will be closed once I arrive. Will I still be able to get close to the WEC teams and transporters after this time?

Thanks again!!
If it's like last year, the paddock will be open to all so you can wander around all of the Tudor transporters. There isn't much of the WEC teams to see from the back of the garages except for some quick peaks in. You should be able to get up close to the WEC garages during the pit/grid walk before the Tudor race on Saturday.
Old 4 Sep 2014, 22:20 (Ref:3450381)   #25
porman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampchez View Post
You should be able to get up close to the WEC garages during the pit/grid walk before the Tudor race on Saturday.
That will have to suffice. I was actually worried that the closest I would get was through my zoom lens.

Thanks for the info!